ADVERTISEMENT

Potentially huge recruiting news

Pretty inconceivable that he’d make the jump to Pitt. But, even getting him on campus would be massive.
The first guy has 87 followers. Don't have any idea who he is. And Pittsburgh Now teases all the time. If he decommitted from Duke or even visited Capel at Pitt that would be a huge slap in the face from Capel to Coach K.

The breathless Pittsburgh Sports Now tweet re: another big recruiting visit is Capel visiting with Ethan Morton at Butler this week. ... Coaches visit recruits. Morton's class of 2020. We're all going to be exhausted by October if every time our head coach gets lunch someone reports that Capel's "involved in high-level meetings today." Sheesh.

And I see no way Capel allows the Williamson thing to drive a wedge between him and Duke/Coach K, which is precisely what would happen if Williamson came here.

The breathless Pittsburgh Sports Now tweet re: another big recruiting visit is Capel visiting with Ethan Morton at Butler this week. ... Coaches visit recruits. Morton's class of 2020. We're all going to be exhausted by October if every time our head coach gets lunch someone reports that Capel's "involved in high-level meetings today." Sheesh.

And I see no way Capel allows the Williamson thing to drive a wedge between him and Duke/Coach K, which is precisely what would happen if Williamson came here.

Capel has 1 job, win games at Pitt. He should give 0 consideration how it makes any other school feel. I saw a tweet and found it worth discussing here.

Capel has 1 job, win games at Pitt. He should give 0 consideration how it makes any other school feel. I saw a tweet and found it worth discussing here.

I don't have any gripe about you posting it. No problem with me that you did. I'm irritated with PGH Sports Now for breathlessly reporting when Capel goes to the damn bathroom.

And not only do I not believe the report about Williamson, I actually do believe Capel should give consideration to Coach K and Duke. I don't believe in burning bridges like that, both from a personal integrity standpoint and from a professional standpoint. If Capel keeps a solid relationship with Coach K—Capel's father died in the past year, and I know he sees K as a father figure—it will benefit Capel and Duke. There ABSOLUTELY will be times that K will go to bat for Capel and that that support will benefit our program. I guarantee it. Plus, if Capel has designs on ever going home, it's a pretty good bet he's not going to s&*&*% where he sleeps.

I don't have any gripe about you posting it. No problem with me that you did. I'm irritated with PGH Sports Now for breathlessly reporting when Capel goes to the damn bathroom.

And not only do I not believe the report about Williamson, I actually do believe Capel should give consideration to Coach K and Duke. I don't believe in burning bridges like that, both from a personal integrity standpoint and from a professional standpoint. If Capel keeps a solid relationship with Coach K—Capel's father died in the past year, and I know he sees K as a father figure—it will benefit Capel and Duke. There ABSOLUTELY will be times that K will go to bat for Capel and that that support will benefit our program. I guarantee it. Plus, if Capel has designs on ever going home, it's a pretty good bet he's not going to s&*&*% where he sleeps.
Kirby Smart has gone head to head with Saban, and has stolen recruits from him. All is fair in love, war, and recruiting.

Kirby Smart has gone head to head with Saban, and has stolen recruits from him. All is fair in love, war, and recruiting.

True but the Saban coaching tree is sort of a bunch of mercenaries and don't give a crap about him.

The Coach K coaching tree is different. It is tied in with USA Basketball and the NBA, especially the large Spurs management/coaching/former player diaspora. Those three entities (Duke alums/coachc K, team USA/Colangelo, Spurs alums, Pop) are the top of the basketball world, consider each other fine gentlemen, and don't want to burn their bridges because staying in the in-crowd with that fraternity helps you rise to the highest levels of the sport. Those are the folks who dominate planning committees, rules committees, charitable foundations, and so on. They are spread across the Suns, Bulls, Sixers, and the college Catholic basketball circles. They share their knowledge on all sorts of cutting edge technology and stats and sports medicine. It's sort of career suicide to go rogue on that.

But yeah sure, I'd love to get the top recruit in the country.

Exactly. While it is wishful thinking, if Capel is the man we hope he is, he would not do that to Coach K

Reactions: Bradlib Zannamaker
If he really committed to Pitt solely/mostly because of Capel, I wouldn't have an issue with it... But none of the Duke insiders are talking about this. They are usually pretty quick on catching developments and things in the works.

Too win you must recruit well. Coach K can help Capel in that regard. No sense in making him an enemy.

Reactions: hoopsguy72

Not saying this is even possible, but if Williamson were to make it known he wanted to play for capel, should capel just say absolutely not I'm not even going to recruit you again. Is he really committed to Pitt if that's the case?

I agree with you in the case of capel not going out of his way to try and steal the kid away from Duke. But if he is upset about capel leaving and isn't 100% sure he wants to go to Duke anymore, wouldn't there be a line drawn somewhere?

Not saying this is even possible, but if Williamson were to make it known he wanted to play for capel, should capel just say absolutely not I'm not even going to recruit you again. Is he really committed to Pitt if that's the case?

I agree with you in the case of capel not going out of his way to try and steal the kid away from Duke. But if he is upset about capel leaving and isn't 100% sure he wants to go to Duke anymore, wouldn't there be a line drawn somewhere?

The only way Capel should take him is if Zion reached out to him and told him he wanted to play for him. Then, if I'm Capel, I tell him to call or meet with Coach K to explain everything and allow them to ease any concerns they have. At that point, if he still wanted to play for Pitt, then ok.

The only way Capel should take him is if Zion reached out to him and told him he wanted to play for him. Then, if I'm Capel, I tell him to call or meet with Coach K to explain everything and allow them to ease any concerns they have. At that point, if he still wanted to play for Pitt, then ok.

I get where you guys are coming from, and I partially agree. That seems like you’re asking K for his permission to accept a once in a generation recruit. It would be a tough spot for Capel, but I say you recruit Zion hard. It’s likely that this is all irrelevant, but a fun discussion.

I give this tweet little credence, but its not inconceivable that Williamson might want to do it. He's clearly a one-and-done guy, so for him, college is where he will be for less than a year. Pitt, Duke, or where ever, probably isn't that important to him. His mentor for that time is probably more important to him than the school, and I think he's tight with Capel. So, that's why something like this isn't out of the question.

I give this tweet little credence, but its not inconceivable that Williamson might want to do it. He's clearly a one-and-done guy, so for him, college is where he will be for less than a year. Pitt, Duke, or where ever, probably isn't that important to him. His mentor for that time is probably more important to him than the school, and I think he's tight with Capel. So, that's why something like this isn't out of the question.

I'd take the opposite approach and say he'd like to maximize his one year and spend it where he can make a Final Four and do other major things

It's important to keep in mind that Zion Williamson still hasn't signed his letter of intent. I would agree that it would be sleazy to try and persuade Duke recruits to ask to be released from their LOIs, but that doesn't apply to Zion. With that said, I see no point in seriously entertaining the possibility of him coming here. The only reason I'd stop short of saying there's 0 chance is because nobody expected Zion to commit to Duke and Capel was instrumental in making that happen. Still, if he were to back out of his commitment, it seems far more likely that he'd go to Clemson or Kentucky. In other words, it's theoretically possible that he ends up at Pitt, but it's so implausible that it's not worth thinking about.

They would probably be aware of that anyway as it would have been apparent during the recruiting process.

Capel and K have been close for decades. I don’t think flipping one recruit would change that.

I don’t think there’s any chance he’s coming here but I’d take him in a second if he said he wanted to.

It's important to keep in mind that Zion Williamson still hasn't signed his letter of intent. I would agree that it would be sleazy to try and persuade Duke recruits to ask to be released from their LOIs, but that doesn't apply to Zion. With that said, I see no point in seriously entertaining the possibility of him coming here. The only reason I'd stop short of saying there's 0 chance is because nobody expected Zion to commit to Duke and Capel was instrumental in making that happen. Still, if he were to back out of his commitment, it seems far more likely that he'd go to Clemson or Kentucky. In other words, it's theoretically possible that he ends up at Pitt, but it's so implausible that it's not worth thinking about.

We can dream, can’t we?

I know the chance is like .1%, but if Capel would get Zion, the Pete would be filled to the absolute brim instantly. It would be the slam dunk contest every night!

I think the same source said all the potholes in Pittsburgh will be filled by Memorial Day.

This is a pretty funny thread. Capel's allegiance at this point is to turning Pitt into a winner as quickly as possible. A recruit like Williamson would make a huge impact. Does Capel want to piss off coach K....probably not, but they both know it's not personal...it's business.

Cruzer

This is a pretty funny thread. Capel's allegiance at this point is to turning Pitt into a winner as quickly as possible. A recruit like Williamson would make a huge impact. Does Capel want to piss off coach K....probably not, but they both know it's not personal...it's business.

Cruzer

Yep!

If Zion wants to bring the morning back to Pitt from this dark night we’ve been in, let him come!

#Zion #Pittrisin

-Why would / should Capel give a rats ass about Duke and Coach K and Duke's future while He's coaching Pitt. Should Pitt just lay down against Duke every time we play them in the future because of Coach K? Should Capel stop recruiting all 2019 and 2020 5 star targets he was recruiting at Duke? Should Pitt not recruit any 5 stars until Coach K retires? Gimme a break with this weak mentality bullshit. Steal all their recruits if you can starting today. Capel is a Pitt guy now, not a Duke guy. And if he wants to be a Duke guy, he can go back to Duke.

-Coach K is an old man. His days in basketball are numbered. Thats a fact and that is life. So is Roy Williams, Jimmy B, Jim Larranga. ACC better find some quality coaches in the near future because these guys are on the short end of the stick in terms of their remaining basketball days.

What is he gonna tell recruits, “if you don’t pick Duke, next best option is Pitt & coach Capel”

Like he gonna be helping Pitt out? Lol
I agree. Don't forget, we actually play them, sometimes 2 or 3 times, a year. Not sure why he'd want to help us. I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry.

If the Twitter handle does not have a blue check next to it, then you are most likely being fooled by a troll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT