ADVERTISEMENT

Potentially huge recruiting news

This is a pretty funny thread. Capel's allegiance at this point is to turning Pitt into a winner as quickly as possible. A recruit like Williamson would make a huge impact. Does Capel want to piss off coach K....probably not, but they both know it's not personal...it's business.

Cruzer

Thank god. Reading this thread like.... whaaaaa???

If Zion Williamson wants to visit Pitt because Coach, and the guy that recruited him here is now the head guy at Pitt... THEN HE WILL BE WELCOMED HERE.
Do we have a red carpet long enough from the Pittsburgh International Airport to the Pete???
Zoo, make it happen. This is completely in the realm of possibilities. He will still be lottery picked if he goes to Pitt, just like Duke. Still get ESPN attention, still get the Zoo, still have great coaching. Still have a great school.

Anyways, the assertion that we should turn down him due to an obligation to Coach K??? Please. If that is to happen, then I agree with Pittx9 that you really have to question the committed to Pitt of the new coach, and Coach K would certainly understand this, and have another 12 recruits to choose from in a nanosecond.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
If he really wants to come here that's great, he's a great player. But a lot of you clearly don't understand how the basketball coaching fraternity works. My sense is Capel wants to be an insider not an ousider. This "burn the bridges!" stuff is nonsense and ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: ricflair4LIFE
If he really wants to come here that's great, he's a great player. But a lot of you clearly don't understand how the basketball coaching fraternity works. My sense is Capel wants to be an insider not an ousider. This "burn the bridges!" stuff is nonsense and ain't gonna happen.

That is baloney.

But, the whole story is probably baloney, so it is most likely a moot point

Yeah, I remember how Roy WIlliams paddled our boy Stallings in the coaching frat basement when he took away his best player as a grad transfer despite Stallings being a protege of his. Some of you are funny.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
That is baloney.

But, the whole story is probably baloney, so it is most likely a moot point

Why is it baloney? I am sure our coach will get in the occasional recruiting duel with Duke, which is to his credit and would be awesome. But it's not going to happen on a kid he was already recruiting to Duke and who has a verbal with them. That's not how anyone else in the coach K tree has dealt with this.

Capel was an assistant to the team USA gold medal in the FIBA world cup to coach K, he was head coach of the FIBA under 18 team with Kyrie that won the FIBA Americas, and he served as chief scout for Team USA in the Olympics. His dad coached 10 years in the NBA. He probably wants the ACC and Duke to cooperate with Pitt/UPMC on player motion technology. He definitely isn't going to go out of his way to piss off Coach K and his powerful allies.

It’s NOT about burning bridges. As long as Capel doesn’t solicit the move the kid has a right to play for who he wants. Especially if he didn’t sign his commitment letter yet. Coach K would understand. Happens all the time. Look at our kids still considering making a change after their coaching change?

It’s NOT about burning bridges. As long as Capel doesn’t solicit the move the kid has a right to play for who he wants.

I agree to that extent, but I don't know (or does anyone really know?) where this thing is at currently. If it would create waves because of any sort of gentleman's agreement around going after verbals, I think Capel stays away for now and that's all my posts are really about. If it is a more clear "he really wants to follow this particular coach as opposed to commit to a certain program that is generating a lot more NBA players", then sure, he'll probably go for it.

Reactions: ricflair4LIFE

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

It’s NOT about burning bridges. As long as Capel doesn’t solicit the move the kid has a right to play for who he wants. Especially if he didn’t sign his commitment letter yet. Coach K would understand. Happens all the time. Look at our kids still considering making a change after their coaching change?

I don't think anyone is saying don't take him. Just saying Capel is in a situation that his friend had a verbal from the kid. He should talk with coach K first and get his feelings.
If we were talking about Huggins. Then it would be a different story.

I don't think anyone is saying don't take him. Just saying Capel is in a situation that his friend had a verbal from the kid. He should talk with coach K first and get his feelings.
If we were talking about Huggins. Then it would be a different story.
I am pretty sure that if this situation did come up Capel would discuss it with Coach K. It seems like Capel is an upstanding guy. Now from here on out it would be a different story and 'm sure Coach K has been around long enough to know its a dog eat dog world.

They'd know his name after the first game.

It's not like Pitt needs to build interest in the program, they simply need to rekindle it. A guy who can pull off what's in that video would rekindle the interest in a minute.
Reminds me of myself in my younger days. Seriously, a kid like this would go a long way to filling up that building again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT