ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
It's always bittersweet for me when the new football season is upon us. While I love the Panthers, since I fly down from NY on Pitt football weekends, I also truly love my golf and it means yet another golf season has come and gone. I have some thoughts on our Panthers:

1. I am not into predictions and I don't know where this Pitt team will go, I do feel however that there are strong areas to be optimistic about. First and foremost the qb position will be stronger this year. Last year the mismanagement of the qb cost us at least 2 maybe three wins. I also think the back seven on D will be athletic, ball hawking and stout. The offensive line with all the returning talent should also perform much better.

2. Here's what I am worried about. I don't love our DL. While there is some young talent that has been recruited, I'm not sure this DL is going to be stout enough to hold up against CFB OL especially against the run. I get worried when the talent on the DL are freshmen. These are kids that could be playing against men and that's not a good thing. We will know soon enough whether our run defense will hold up and whether we can generate a pass rush from our defensive ends and will these ends be able to set the edge properly?

3. The individual with the most pressure on this team is not Nate or Eli it's Kade Bell (Duh!). It's one thing to do it at West Carolina it's another thing to do it at a Power Five Level. It's clearly a unique hire and Duzz needs to be patient and he has had a history of being impatient with his OC's. I mean he fired Mark Whipple when Pitt had the best offense it's had in 25 years.

4. I cannot attend this year's version of the Brawl as I will be in Crotia on a 10 day vacation but am already trying to figure out how to watch the game, though I'm sure I'll be texting buddies at the game.

5. Last year we were 3-9, just a brutal year. As I look back on the season, I see the WF game as a win due to that horrible spot on the first down run. I also see a team that played FSU close for a lot of the game, that had a brutal game plan against WVU, and could have won the Duke game. The offense game planning, calling and insistence on sticking with Phil J was mind boggling. I truly believe Nate and/or Eli will be better. We have skill on the outside and in the backfield. We should be able to score.

6. This team needs to split at a min the Cincy/WVU games. Get out of the first 4 games 3-1 going into the bye and I'll be happy. 2-2 with both losses to Big 12 teams will not be good at all and won't bode well for the rest of the season. That's why this season will be fascinating. How fast does this new offense take hold? How will Bell handle adjustements made by Power 5 DC's? How panicky does Duzz get late with a lead and want to run, run, run vs going for the jugular?

7. I am also curious to see if things go south whether Duzz's job becomes an issue. It's a season with a lot of things to watch. The schedule is manageable but that could be optimistic coming off a 3 win season. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Hail to Pitt,

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.