ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction:Rutgers will surpass our program next year

At Rutgers that is worthy of a statue and the stadium named after you. Maybe even the whole university named after you.

They’ve only been to 10 bowl games in program history, he was the coach for 6 of those teams. 3 of the other 4 were the 3 years immediately after he initially left.

But also remember how he compiled that record. They routinely played five non-conference games a year against teams that would have had a hard time beating IUP. I posted them all before and won't bother again, but they didn't play one good non-conference opponent in almost every season he was there.

Beat five soup cans in your non-conference games, go 4-3 in the crappy Big East and at the end of the season you are sitting there at 9-3. And you aren't actually all that good. But hey, 9-3.

As an example, see 2009. 5-0 in the non-conference with wins against Howard, Florida International, Maryland (2-10 that season), Texas Southern and Army. Not even a mediocre team in the bunch. Go 3-4 in the Big East in a year that the Big East ended up with three ranked teams (and Rutgers lost to all three). Win a crappy pre-Christmas bowl game. And viola, 9-4!

And hey, most coaches at Rutgers would have found a way to lose to that two win Maryland team or to Florida International. Or both. He should certainly get credit for that. But going 9-4 against a schedule like that isn't anything all that special.

But also remember how he compiled that record. They routinely played five non-conference games a year against teams that would have had a hard time beating IUP. I posted them all before and won't bother again, but they didn't play one good non-conference opponent in almost every season he was there.

Beat five soup cans in your non-conference games, go 4-3 in the crappy Big East and at the end of the season you are sitting there at 9-3. And you aren't actually all that good. But hey, 9-3.

As an example, see 2009. 5-0 in the non-conference with wins against Howard, Florida International, Maryland (2-10 that season), Texas Southern and Army. Not even a mediocre team in the bunch. Go 3-4 in the Big East in a year that the Big East ended up with three ranked teams (and Rutgers lost to all three). Win a crappy pre-Christmas bowl game. And viola, 9-4!

And hey, most coaches at Rutgers would have found a way to lose to that two win Maryland team or to Florida International. Or both. He should certainly get credit for that. But going 9-4 against a schedule like that isn't anything all that special.
I agree, I wasn’t trying to make him sound like anything great. Just that Rutgers has been such a god awful program for forever, that his run of 4-3 and 5-2 finishes in the Big East was historically great for that school. They basically have no other relevant history.

So you guys are gushing over a 2-4 team. LOL Okay

Yeah. It’s easy for some to make claims about things in the future for which they‘ll never be held accountable. Throw crap at the wall. See if anything sticks. And If/when it doesn’t, so what? It’s one of the beauties of conjecturing and making proclamations while posting anonymously on a blog. Just have to take it FWIW.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I have no idea if some on here are fans that like to bitch and whine or they are trolls.

Yeah. It’s easy for some to make claims about things in the future for which they‘ll never be held accountable. Throw crap at the wall. See if anything sticks. And If/when it doesn’t, so what? It’s one of the beauties of conjecturing and making proclamations while posting anonymously on a blog. Just have to take it FWIW.

Reactions: PittMan 72
I’ll give them credit; they certainly looked much better this season than they have in recent years. However, they still have a long ways to go and I feel more confident about our chances in the ACC Coastal than their’s in the Big Ten East.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Rutgers made undeniable progress this year, all you have to do is look at the records over the last 2 seasons.

2019 - Record of 2-10 and outscored 440-159
2020 - Record of 3-6 and outscored 289-240

Still woeful, but those teams bear no resemblance to each other. Their issue is will they continue to show progress next season, I lean towards no, but for them being competitive is a huge improvement over what they’ve been recently.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Rutgers lost again

I have no idea WTF you Rutgers ballwashers are seeing?

Tough loss for them last night, but I believe they will be much better. Schiano built a nice program there last time around and he took the same players this year and vastly improved on where they’ve been for years.

He’s proven he can win the Coastal. Lose the championship. And lose a bowl game all in the same season. That’s tough to pull off. Pitt is one of two schools to pull off winning their division and finishing with a .500 record. Kudos. That’s why Pitt pays him $4 million a year.

Pitt is paying a premium just to keep him. Pitt hired 3 head coaches in 4 years after Wanny. One was let go before he coached a game, and the other two left for a perceived better job, despite a combined 4 year record of 25-27. Any good agent is going to use that to bend Pitt over when it comes to negotiating a contract.

Pitt is paying a premium just to keep him. Pitt hired 3 head coaches in 4 years after Wanny. One was let go before he coached a game, and the other two left for a perceived better job, despite a combined 4 year record of 25-27. Any good agent is going to use that to bend Pitt over when it comes to negotiating a contract.
Did Pitt not void Haywood’s contract with cause? Can’t remember.

Well bless their hearts, they still love us over there....

Rutgers = most delusional fan base
Penn State = the most arrogant fan base
WVU = the most obnoxious fan base

Reactions: pierre93
I can't remember, but I assume that is correct.

But the perception and morale was extremely low at the time. Pederson was booted out the door literally the same time Paul Cryst was walking out of it.
Yup. We’re in a much better position now than we were six years ago. Not only do we have stability at the head coach position, but we now have it at AD as well. And, even if Narduzzi gets fired after next season, at least the cupboard won’t be bare.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Rutgers golden era under Schiano was a trip to the sun bowl to play Iowa st. Put that into perspective. The very best year under Schiano amounted to a meaningless bowl game.

How did the recruiting compare between Rutgers and a Pitt this year???

Pitt had the 21st ranked class. Rutgers 35th which is the best I can remember they ever had.

Any fan outside both programs that knows the game realizes Rutgers is one the worst P5 program of all time. Pitt is stuck in mediocrity after having a elite program for a decade or so.

Rutgers golden era under Schiano was a trip to the sun bowl to play Iowa st. Put that into perspective. The very best year under Schiano amounted to a meaningless bowl game.

How did the recruiting compare between Rutgers and a Pitt this year???

Pitt had the 21st ranked class. Rutgers 35th which is the best I can remember they ever had.

Any fan outside both programs that knows the game realizes Rutgers is one the worst P5 program of all time. Pitt is stuck in mediocrity after having a elite program for a decade or so.

Speaking of worst P5 programs of all time, you’re going to hear a lot more about Brent Brennan if they hang on for the win today. When I think of the hardest places in the county to win Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Rice, and Tulane come to mind, but I’m not sure if there is worse place to be a head coach than at San Jose St.

Im still not totally sold on Brennan, but you could see it coming last season and this year has been nothing short of amazing. There seems to be a push for him to take the Arizona job, and if it’s offered I expect he will.

Speaking of worst P5 programs of all time, you’re going to hear a lot more about Brent Brennan if they hang on for the win today. When I think of the hardest places in the county to win Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Rice, and Tulane come to mind, but I’m not sure if there is worse place to be a head coach than at San Jose St.

Im still not totally sold on Brennan, but you could see it coming last season and this year has been nothing short of amazing. There seems to be a push for him to take the Arizona job, and if it’s offered I expect he will.
Fun Fact: I can remember when Baylor was in that group of hardest places to win.

Aren't you guys the ones who laughed at me when I MADE the thread saying hire Greg Schiano?

Well I laughed at you. And I'm still laughing, so there is that.

They played two good teams all year and went 3-6. The three teams they beat won two games each this season. Hooray for him, I guess?
But while your laughing at me, other teams are laughing at us for underachieving in spite of having more talent. So when Greg Schiano gets that Rutgers team to overachieve don't complain about us going 6-6 or 7-5 and losing to NC State and BC type teams. I wont see those complaints right?

Reactions: Dan1911
I'm a big fan of Greg Shiano too. Rutgers won 3 Big 10 games this year, which is the same number they won the previous 3 years combined.

That said, they have a long way to go. The difference in talent between the Huskers and RU was glaring. Nebraska moved the ball at will on RU last night.

But while your laughing at me, other teams are laughing at us for underachieving in spite of having more talent. So when Greg Schiano gets that Rutgers team to overachieve don't complain about us going 6-6 or 7-5 and losing to NC State and BC type teams. I wont see those complaints right?

Are those two things supposed to be mutually exclusive? Are people only allowed to laugh at one college football team at a time?

IF, not when, IF Greg Schiano gets Rutgers to overachieve then come back and talk. As I pointed out before, by far the best part of his previous tenure at Rutgers was the way that he was able to schedule some mediocre teams to good records that people who didn't pay attention didn't realize were a house of cards.

And no doubt, he is going to attempt the same thing this time around. He is going to pack the non-conference schedule with teams like he did the last time, teams like Texas State and Delaware and Florida International. But now instead of five of those games he's only going to get three of them. And he's going to get Maryland every year, so a good chance for a fourth. And then he's going to hope for a couple seasons (like this year, for example) when someone like Michigan State is really down and/or their crossover games end up being something like Purdue and Illinois and they'll schedule their way into six or seven wins and everyone will say "look, the great and powerful Oz has done it again!"

Meanwhile, don't look behind that curtain. You might not like what you see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT