ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Look at 2018 Class

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010
2018%20Pitt%20Recruiting%20Class_zpsbvr7pvgs.png~original

You sign up for Panther-lair ... ON National Signing day, then negatively comment on Pitt recruiting -- MIGHT YOU JUST HAVE AN ALTERIOR MOTIVE? Jeebus, trying to negatively influence a friggin message board, bash it's staff thinking that'll influence the fanbase -- that was SOOO 2000. Your INFO WAR game is so friggin weak.

Ulterior

Only 1 recruit from Ohio. And 5 from PA..... That’s a little disappointing!

PA was actually up a bit this year on talent and Ohio was a little down according to SBNation, so take that for what it's worth. I like the guys we pulled out of PA this year, esp Danielson and BlakeZ> Kradel is solid as well.

Good solid class. Plenty of lineman, it all starts in the trenches.

I see ACC Coastals written all over this class. Damn the future is bright. HCPN recruits ballplayers, other coaches recruit "star systems". That's why HCPN's teams are always more prepared on game days.

Reactions: THEPAPI
I like that Narduzzi used this class to build up depth on the lines in the near term (Chase Brown, the Kent State grad txr) as well as long term (Zubovic, Kradel, other freshmen). The other two areas where I think that Pitt needs the most immediate upgrade are WR and edge rushers that can turn the corner. I think that Shocky and O'Neil have a chance to contribute. But at DE, Mimes is a project and Baldonado is a lottery ticket. Both have a ton of upside potential, but I doubt either is close to contributing for a few years. It would have been nice to have gotten a DE from juco, grad, or at least a more developed freshman.

All in all, this isn't good or bad, but what you get for a 5-7 team. Narduzzi is past the point of selling potential and upset wins. He needs to figure out how to get Pitt to the point of consistent winning records against GT, Syracuse, UNC, Duke and UVA as a next step. Those games have been dogfights (or in the case of UNC, guaranteed Ls) and that needs to change.

I like that Narduzzi used this class to build up depth on the lines in the near term (Chase Brown, the Kent State grad txr) as well as long term (Zubovic, Kradel, other freshmen). The other two areas where I think that Pitt needs the most immediate upgrade are WR and edge rushers that can turn the corner. I think that Shocky and O'Neil have a chance to contribute. But at DE, Mimes is a project and Baldonado is a lottery ticket. Both have a ton of upside potential, but I doubt either is close to contributing for a few years. It would have been nice to have gotten a DE from juco, grad, or at least a more developed freshman.

All in all, this isn't good or bad, but what you get for a 5-7 team. Narduzzi is past the point of selling potential and upset wins. He needs to figure out how to get Pitt to the point of consistent winning records against GT, Syracuse, UNC, Duke and UVA as a next step. Those games have been dogfights (or in the case of UNC, guaranteed Ls) and that needs to change.

Has been disappointing that Coach Duzz hasn’t found a star pass-rushing DE. Looks like with the misses on the 4-Stars, they’ve decided to caste a wide net, bring in a ton of DEs, and hope to find a Greg Romeus.

Looks like John Morgan has the best chance of the recruits to contribute right away, but hopefully the older guys step it up.

Has been disappointing that Coach Duzz hasn’t found a star pass-rushing DE. Looks like with the misses on the 4-Stars, they’ve decided to caste a wide net, bring in a ton of DEs, and hope to find a Greg Romeus.

Looks like John Morgan has the best chance of the recruits to contribute right away, but hopefully the older guys step it up.
I wouldn't exactly say Jones and Weaver are washed up as FROSH they were in there against Miami on that last series. I think the position is looking strong this year and going forward. H2P!

That Italian kid seems like a good bet.
Good size and crazy speed

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
That Italian kid seems like a good bet.
Good size and crazy speed
His measurables are great, but he has a potentially huge learning curve. His tape shows the worst competition I have ever seen from a prospect highlight tape. Our competition was better in 7th and 8th grade football. There were OL who looked less than 150 and unable to bench their weight.

Yeah, they have really struggled with higher rated prospects at the DE position. It's a trend that started under Chryst as his DE recruiting was worse.

Duzz has done much better at DT.

His measurables are great, but he has a potentially huge learning curve. His tape shows the worst competition I have ever seen from a prospect highlight tape. Our competition was better in 7th and 8th grade football. There were OL who looked less than 150 and unable to bench their weight.
If the comparable is romeus, he’s my bet.

That’s all

Don't be concerned!

the Nitters are a benchmark with their top 5 class they only had 6 recruits out of a total of 23 from PA.

This came from an article in our local newspaper. Their prime recruiting area has been 250 radius from State College according to Franklin.

Franklin mentioned in the article in our local Lehigh Valley paper that he hired a coach who has FL & TX connections ( Ja'Juan Seidur) and they expect to focus on FL and TX in the future implying that they will reduce the number of recruits taken from PA and neighboring states.

PA football is on the way down, the Nitters get it, Franklin isn't as dumb as he looks, so Pitt must focus and find other lucrative recruiting areas.

I don't like the Nitters but they're recruiting strategy is a good one!

Of course they have to find the best of the best in PA and try to land those players.

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go Pitt & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
I get it and we certainly all hope so (and so did a number of P5 coaches) but Romeus had real competition. Hopefully we got a winning ticket.
You mean the ACC doesnt have 5’4 155lb Lineman for Baldanado to abuse? Uh oh. The kid should have asked more Questions..

You mean the ACC doesnt have 5’4 155lb Lineman for Baldanado to abuse? Uh oh. The kid should have asked more Questions..
Obviously you are trolling, but he is still worth the chance. He just likely needs a couple years and could be a busy. Good get nonetheless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT