ADVERTISEMENT

Random 1989 Question

Oct 25, 2021
There is some Georgia Tech basketball show on the ACC Network right now (aka background noise). They showed a highlight against what looked like Pitt, so I looked up their 1989-90 basketball schedule.

Looks like we played then twice in Decemeber of 1989.

In fact, it looks like we also played Oklahoma State twice that month.

Looks like these were both tournaments of some sort, but I looked at a few other seasons and didn't see any duplicate non-conference opponents. Was this common back then?

There is some Georgia Tech basketball show on the ACC Network right now (aka background noise). They showed a highlight against what looked like Pitt, so I looked up their 1989-90 basketball schedule.

Looks like these were both tournaments of some sort, but I looked at a few other seasons and didn't see any duplicate non-conference opponents. Was this common back then?
I remember these games - . To best I can remember, it was not common to play a non conference opponent twice in the same season.

I remember the GT game was the Big East/ACC Challenge in Hartford. I think Dennis Scott hit a buzzer beater. We also played GT or Georgia in the Georgia Dome around that time.

Reactions: BFo8
The first game against Georgia Tech was in the Big East/ACC Challenge. The first game against Oklahoma State was in the Tournament of Champions in Charlotte (we lost to NC State in the Championship game). Then we played in the Kuppenheimer Classic in Atlanta where we again played Oklahoma State in the first round, and after we beat them again we played Georgia Tech in the championship game. And lost to them again.

I'm guessing we agreed to play in both tournaments before we knew who we would be playing (and before our game in the Big East/ACC challenge was determined), and when we found those things out no one really cared to try to change it.

I remember the GT game was the Big East/ACC Challenge in Hartford. I think Dennis Scott hit a buzzer beater. We also played GT or Georgia in the Georgia Dome around that time.
I have a memory from those days of Dennis Scott dropping like 40 on us and winning the game at the buzzer.

Reactions: jctrack
The first game against Georgia Tech was in the Big East/ACC Challenge. The first game against Oklahoma State was in the Tournament of Champions in Charlotte (we lost to NC State in the Championship game). Then we played in the Kuppenheimer Classic in Atlanta where we again played Oklahoma State in the first round, and after we beat them again we played Georgia Tech in the championship game. And lost to them again.

I'm guessing we agreed to play in both tournaments before we knew who we would be playing (and before our game in the Big East/ACC challenge was determined), and when we found those things out no one really cared to try to change it.

I remember that NC St loss. Was a Saturday night on Channel 22 I think. I feel like it was probably one of those Raycom of Jefferson Pilot feeds.

Reactions: jctrack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT