Will they commit to Pitt ?
All 4 stars

Ryan Howerton -OT
Zy'Marion Lang -WR
Sincere Edwards -DE
Yasin Willis -RB

My guess is we get at least 2.

Reactions: singregardless
We already have Edwards and Willis. The other two would be nice, as well. We're obviously going to lose a few more, so it'd be nice to keep adding.

I think Howerton will commit too. If Lang doesn't, it will be interesting to see if they go after another WR.

A travesty? Really? If he goes there it’s cause Pitt is comfortable with the 5 guys they have at that position
Yes, Pitt has no business losing recruiting battles to those loser programs. This is a massive 4 star kid. Pitt should be killing themselves to get this kid.

We already have 5 OL commitments. The hyperbole is laughable.
Not only hyperbole. It’s been pointed out over and over again so maybe it’s not even worth it this time. But some of the lunkheads who post here don’t ever get that it isn’t just about football or “lesser programs” for every kid.

I say maybe we get one of them. We lost our momentum a while ago. A once top 3 class in the ACC is looking worse everyday. We have been passed by the likes of Georgia Tech and that is sad. According to 247, the only teams with composite numbers lower than us in the ACC are Syracuse and BC and they are very close to us.

Face it, we are never going to win any recruiting wars. We just don't get 4 star kids. We have lost out on at least 12 guys who were 4 stars on at least one site, who had us in their top 5 or top 3. Sadly we are losing them to extremely middling programs.

Having said all that, there is no need for alarm. The recruitniks are not always right, as Duzz has proven over and over again. This is a solid class, that had a chance to elevate our perception. That won't happen, but, you can bet there will be some very good players emerge from this class, who will hear their name called later on at the NFL draft.

Pitt's coaches don't care, not even a little bit, whether Rivals thinks one player or the other is better. They only care about who they think is better. Stop being dumb.
Maybe they should start caring. The more talented players you have, the better chance you have to win. Howerton is simply more talented than some current commits. You take Howerton and you flip one of the less talented OL commits to DL, or let him explore. It’s elementary, honestly. Constantly saying Pitt doesn’t care about star rankings is simply making excuses for Pitt. Sure, Duzz puts kids in the league, but maybe he’d put more kids in the league in higher rounds with more talented players.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
None of the recruits are panthers until they sign on the dotted line, some are not totally commited before that, their word means ???? Yes they are young, but

🔒 Ryan Howerton -OT
🔒 Zy'Marion Lang -WR
🔒 Sincere Edwards -DE
🔒 Yasin Willis -RB
If we get all 4 it's duzzs best ever class. If we only get 2 of the 4 we still end up middle of the pack in the acc which fine based on what he does with the kids she gets.
He goes 0-4 then this class is just an average low 40's duzz class.

Maybe they should start caring. The more talented players you have, the better chance you have to win. Howerton is simply more talented than some current commits. You take Howerton and you flip one of the less talented OL commits to DL, or let him explore. It’s elementary, honestly. Constantly saying Pitt doesn’t care about star rankings is simply making excuses for Pitt. Sure, Duzz puts kids in the league, but maybe he’d put more kids in the league in higher rounds with more talented players.
Yeah, anyone who isn’t a derelict realizes it’s not that our coaches somehow don’t desire these top 4 and 5 star guys. That’s absurd to say. But it might be more that they really aren’t expending big energy in those kind of guys because they know they simply have no shot in hell at them. We simply are pigeonholed into 3 stars and the rare, occasional 4 star. NIL and the NCAA abandonment of even token enforcement of cheating has assured this. To not get (hardly) any 4 star or 5 star, at ALL, over about a decade or more by now, it’s not an accident, it’s not “our coaches are bad recruiters” or “ our coaches aren’t working hard” or “they don’t like our scheme, blah blah”. It means we are not lining the recruits pockets as well as others.

I want to marry you but don't tell anyone, oh and I am still going to date other people until I decide to tell anyone about us!

Yeah, anyone who isn’t a derelict realizes it’s not that our coaches somehow don’t desire these top 4 and 5 star guys. That’s absurd to say. But it might be more that they really aren’t expending big energy in those kind of guys because they know they simply have no shot in hell at them. We simply are pigeonholed into 3 stars and the rare, occasional 4 star. NIL and the NCAA abandonment of even token enforcement of cheating has assured this. To not get (hardly) any 4 star or 5 star, at ALL, over about a decade or more by now, it’s not an accident, it’s not “our coaches are bad recruiters” or “ our coaches aren’t working hard” or “they don’t like our scheme, blah blah”. It means we are not lining the recruits pockets as well as others.
It probably does come down to benefits offered the recruit not just the money. It is hard to imagine whiffing on all these kids that were 4 stars that committed in the last few weeks. I don't think it is possible to miss out on so many kids that have you in their top 5 to top 3, especially to mediocre football schools like Purdue and Washington. It appears other schools may be greasing the wheels a bit better.

Would you rather have players that Rivals think are more talented or players that the coaches think are more talented?

I have no idea how Pitt's coaches think about Howerton, or any other recruit, relative to someone else. And neither do you. But if Pitt's coaches think that someone they already have is more talented than him, do you really think that they should tell the guy that they think is more talented to hit the bricks simply because someone at Rivals feels the other way about the players?

Pitt should absolutely be trying to get the most talented players that they can. The players that the Pitt coaches think are the most talented, not the players that Rivals or ESPN or me or you think is the most talented. It's as if you think that Rivals is somehow gospel, and that the talent evaluators they have are better than the ones that Pitt has.

And hey, you can certainly believe that if you want. Just recognize that you are almost certainly wrong.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Would you rather have players that Rivals think are more talented or players that the coaches think are more talented?

I have no idea how Pitt's coaches think about Howerton, or any other recruit, relative to someone else. And neither do you. But if Pitt's coaches think that someone they already have is more talented than him, do you really think that they should tell the guy that they think is more talented to hit the bricks simply because someone at Rivals feels the other way about the players?

Pitt should absolutely be trying to get the most talented players that they can. The players that the Pitt coaches think are the most talented, not the players that Rivals or ESPN or me or you think is the most talented. It's as if you think that Rivals is somehow gospel, and that the talent evaluators they have are better than the ones that Pitt has.

And hey, you can certainly believe that if you want. Just recognize that you are almost certainly wrong.
I would think that the Rivals rankings and Pitt’s internal scouting grades are pretty close. Does Rivals miss? Yes. Do the Pitt coaches miss? Yes. But it’s not like Rivals is way off on most of these highly rated kids.

Reactions: cashisking884
I would think that the Rivals rankings and Pitt’s internal scouting grades are pretty close. Does Rivals miss? Yes. Do the Pitt coaches miss? Yes. But it’s not like Rivals is way off on most of these highly rated kids.

I'm not saying that they are. I'm just saying that we really don't know. We don't know if Rivals or the Pitt coaches or anyone else has someone "misrated". We don't know if the Pitt coaches think that someone is being way overrated or way underrated by someone else.

What the Pitt coaches should be doing is trying to get the players that are the best in their opinion, not in someone else's opinion. The Pitt coaches really don't care where Rivals ranks a player, and they really shouldn't. If they start taking recruits or not taking recruits because of what Rivals says, rather than what they think, then some people need to move on to their life's work.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I'm not saying that they are. I'm just saying that we really don't know. We don't know if Rivals or the Pitt coaches or anyone else has someone "misrated". We don't know if the Pitt coaches think that someone is being way overrated or way underrated by someone else.

What the Pitt coaches should be doing is trying to get the players that are the best in their opinion, not in someone else's opinion. The Pitt coaches really don't care where Rivals ranks a player, and they really shouldn't. If they start taking recruits or not taking recruits because of what Rivals says, rather than what they think, then some people need to move on to their life's work.
Right now the top 5 teams in Rivals 2024 rankings are Georgia, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame. I’m going to bet in 3-4 years, those teams will be in the discussion for the playoff. Georgia has 2 five star kids committed. Dylan Raiola and Peyton Woodyard. I’m willing to bet both of them are going to be 1st round picks in 2027-2028. My point is, Pitt probably should use the rivals recruiting rankings to make sure they aren’t missing something others are seeing. Maybe they’re doing that, who knows. But, I’m willing to bet Howerton will be really good in college. Pair Howerton with Caleb Holmes on one side of the OL and you have something special.

I think Howerton always wanted to be at Pitt.

There was a point where it appeared and Howerton was disappointed that he no longer had a committable offer.

My guess is that has changed.

Reactions: singregardless
Rivals barely "evaluates" anyone. They just borrow the eyes of those who have possibly offered a scholarship and when they did it.

Quick question. Which teams win and go to the CFP on a regular basis. Teams with 2 and 3 stars or the teams with more 3 and 4 stars. I am not even adding 5 because I highly doubt Pitt will ever land a 5 star. Give me an honest answer

I believe Howerton is going to Maryland.
However, a 6th OL in this class wouldn't necessarily be bad.
Moritz (OL) from Germany has only played ball for 2 years. This past year, he played on both lines. In his sophomore year, he played as a WR.

I have no idea how Pitt's coaches plan to use him, but I'd have no problem with a 6'4", 280 lb. tight end. Just a thought in case we pick up another lineman.

Reactions: CREAM007 and BPKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT