ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Yes or No

Ohhhh the travesty....
You act like we’re f***ing Georgia with another 4 star OL just busting at the seams to commit to Narduzzi and Borbely. The truth is, with 4 stars sprinting to garbage Big10 teams, this summer recruiting cycle is coming to an end with a huge thump. But, keep pretending all is well on the recruiting front. Narduzzi isn’t, and never has been a good recruiter. That will never ever change.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Quick question. Which teams win and go to the CFP on a regular basis. Teams with 2 and 3 stars or the teams with more 3 and 4 stars. I am not even adding 5 because I highly doubt Pitt will ever land a 5 star. Give me an honest answer

The honest answer is the teams with the best players.

Now give an honest answer, do you think that someone like Kirby Smart or Nick Saban gives a rats arse where Rivals has a guy rated if he thinks that the person can help him win? Do you think that, well, really, any head coach fully evaluates two different players and determines which one they think is going to be the better college player, and then sees that Rivals has the other one rated higher so they put all their efforts into the second guy rather than the first?

Reactions: GregInPitt

Now give an honest answer, do you think that someone like Kirby Smart or Nick Saban gives a rats arse where Rivals has a guy rated if he thinks that the person can help him win? Do you think that, well, really, any head coach fully evaluates two different players and determines which one they think is going to be the better college player, and then sees that Rivals has the other one rated higher so they put all their efforts into the second guy rather than the first?
Most certainly they both care very much. They both have a comprehensive understanding that perception of your program is as important as anything else. You don’t think that those programs sell that they have the top recruiting class in the Country, or a top 3 class? How would they come to that conclusion? By their internal rankings?

• Haha
Most certainly they both care very much. They both have a comprehensive understanding that perception of your program is as important as anything else. You don’t think that those programs sell that they have the top recruiting class in the Country, or a top 3 class? How would they come to that conclusion? By their internal rankings?

So you think that Nick Saban would rather take players that he thinks are lesser players, ones who will potentially lead to him winning fewer games, simply so that he can say that he had a highly rated recruiting class by Rivals.

You simply cannot be dumb enough to believe that.

These guys care about winning games, not wining recruiting rankings. If given a choice, every one of them, literally, every single one of them, would rather win the actual games than win the recruiting rankings.

So you think that Nick Saban would rather take players that he thinks are lesser players, ones who will potentially lead to him winning fewer games, simply so that he can say that he had a highly rated recruiting class by Rivals.

You simply cannot be dumb enough to believe that.

These guys care about winning games, not wining recruiting rankings. If given a choice, every one of them, literally, every single one of them, would rather win the actual games than win the recruiting rankings.
What are you talking about? Saban can go out there and get nearly any kid he wants. Alabama, Georgia will take any kid they think will help them win, it just so happens that it’s highly likely that player is also a 5 or 4 star kid. Saban isn’t taking a 3 star unless he’s convinced he helps them win. But they care very much where they are in the recruiting rankings.

• Haha
What are you talking about? Saban can go out there and get nearly any kid he wants. Alabama, Georgia will take any kid they think will help them win, it just so happens that it’s highly likely that player is also a 5 or 4 star kid. Saban isn’t taking a 3 star unless he’s convinced he helps them win. But they care very much where they are in the recruiting rankings.

Any kid HE wants. Not any kid Rival ranks highly. And not because those guys won't be ranked highly, because as soon as Saban starts recruiting them they will get the appropriate bump. Because even the services like Rivals understand that Saban and his staff are better at evaluating players, even though you don't seem to think so.

Seriously, answer the question, if Saban and his staff have one guy ranked as say, their top QB target and another guy their 10th QB but they see that Rivals has the guy they have 10th rated higher, will Saban recruit the guy he has 10th more and harder, or will he go after the guy he and his staff identified harder?

It's an easy question to answer, and it has an obviously correct answer, and yet you just can't seem to wrap your head around it.

Any kid HE wants. Not any kid Rival ranks highly. And not because those guys won't be ranked highly, because as soon as Saban starts recruiting them they will get the appropriate bump. Because even the services like Rivals understand that Saban and his staff are better at evaluating players, even though you don't seem to think so.

Seriously, answer the question, if Saban and his staff have one guy ranked as say, their top QB target and another guy their 10th QB but they see that Rivals has the guy they have 10th rated higher, will Saban recruit the guy he has 10th more and harder, or will he go after the guy he and his staff identified harder?

It's an easy question to answer, and it has an obviously correct answer, and yet you just can't seem to wrap your head around it.
Yea, but in your example, they’re both 4 star kids, so Saban is going to take the kid he thinks can help him win. But from a recruiting ranking perspective, a 4 star is a 4 star and they’re likely closely ranked by Rivals.

It probably does come down to benefits offered the recruit not just the money. It is hard to imagine whiffing on all these kids that were 4 stars that committed in the last few weeks. I don't think it is possible to miss out on so many kids that have you in their top 5 to top 3, especially to mediocre football schools like Purdue and Washington. It appears other schools may be greasing the wheels a bit better.
Yes, I summarized it as money, but “greasing the wheels” could certainly be in multiple forms rather than just sacks of cash. There are untold possibilities as far as that goes. Cars, premium living quarters, high end electronics, phony jobs for parents, travel provided to games for family members, on and on. We’re not even after the guys that command SERIOUS payoffs, aka Reggie Bush getting a mansion from USC for his parents etc.

Pitt and it’s limited boosters (which Pitt itself was responsible for limiting, as we know) certainly must provide SOME remuneration to players (or we likely wouldn't even do as well as we have…which is decent, really).

But we’ve seen that more and more players, even gibrone 3 stars, have their hands out. Because, well, they can (note that I’m not blaming them…I’d certainly take it).

And even dog crap programs like Purdue (let alone true players) will line the pockets of guys we’re in competition for, at least more than we’re willing or able to do.

Add it to the long list of crap that increasingly makes this sporty difficult to love as much as I did did much of my life.

Rivals barely "evaluates" anyone. They just borrow the eyes of those who have possibly offered a scholarship and when they did it.

That’s somewhat of a distinction without a difference as it relates what value fans and prognosticators put into recruiting rankings.

Kirby Smart has literally rattled off the recruiting rankings of his starting defense to explain why they are so good.

I’d say he puts some value in them. Or sees some value in being ranked high in them.

The question wasn't "What do you think the coaches rate." Answer the question, you probably wont because you know the answer. Which teams go to the playoff year in and year out? Teams with Rival two and three stars or teams with 3 and 4 and five stars.

The question wasn't "What do you think the coaches rate." Answer the question, you probably wont because you know the answer. Which teams go to the playoff year in and year out? Teams with Rival two and three stars or teams with 3 and 4 and five stars.
Pitt won 20 games and the ACC Championship over the past 2 seasons. That is a great 2-year stretch for Pitt. TCU played in the national championship game last year with recruiting classes that were not ranked highly. We are never going to have recruiting classes littered with 4 and 5 stars, so it is a moot point.

Pitt won 20 games and the ACC Championship over the past 2 seasons. That is a great 2-year stretch for Pitt. TCU played in the national championship game last year with recruiting classes that were not ranked highly. We are never going to have recruiting classes littered with 4 and 5 stars, so it is a moot point.
Which is exactly why you kill for the 4 stars when they want to commit. God only knows what happened with Koy Beasley and Ryan Howerton, but those are 2 legit kids who could have had a huge impact for us. And don’t get me started on blowing the QB recruiting. 20 wins is great, but you can’t go back to 7-8 wins and call Narduzzi a success. Narduzzi by all accounts has failed to build recruiting momentum from that ACC Championship.

• Haha
Which is exactly why you kill for the 4 stars when they want to commit. God only knows what happened with Koy Beasley and Ryan Howerton, but those are 2 legit kids who could have had a huge impact for us. And don’t get me started on blowing the QB recruiting. 20 wins is great, but you can’t go back to 7-8 wins and call Narduzzi a success. Narduzzi by all accounts has failed to build recruiting momentum from that ACC Championship.
What did Rivals rank the recruiting classes that won 20 games over the last 2 seasons?

Howerton was a composite 3 star. 3 sites rated him as a 3 star recruit and he didn’t have any top programs after him.

You act like we’re f***ing Georgia with another 4 star OL just busting at the seams to commit to Narduzzi and Borbely. The truth is, with 4 stars sprinting to garbage Big10 teams, this summer recruiting cycle is coming to an end with a huge thump. But, keep pretending all is well on the recruiting front. Narduzzi isn’t, and never has been a good recruiter. That will never ever change.
Dude, the kids offers were Pitt, WVU, MD and VT.

You somehow turned his recruitment into an analogy where you compared UGA recruiting 5 star guys and the playing in the CFP.

Think about that for a few minutes.

You take 5 guys like Howerton hoping 2 turn out, and consider that a really good hit rate.

You're way off base.

Reactions: singregardless
Not every highly-rated recruit will develop, but when you look at first-round talent, it's generally loaded with 4- and 5-star recruits. Both are statistically higher to make the NFL compared to lower-rated recruits. Narduzzi does a great job coaching up players, but the team would be even better if they sealed the deal on more of the 4 stars interested in the program. They're generally bigger, stronger, and faster athletes.

Dude, the kids offers were Pitt, WVU, MD and VT.

You somehow turned his recruitment into an analogy where you compared UGA recruiting 5 star guys and the playing in the CFP.

Think about that for a few minutes.
I was going to say the same thing. His film is the reason his best offers were PITT/MD. I hate to say it but if he was this can't miss prospect, Franklin would've been in his parking lot 2 years ago. I turned the film on and we've already inked much better looking prospects. He looks sloooowww...

Don’t know. Their support staff is so massive, I wouldn’t be surprised if he himself didn’t know.
Listen.. Coaches use recruiting rankings when it serves to boast their own interests. If you you're ranking is really high, you're probably going to talk about it. If your ranking isn't so great, you might only talk about it if you outperform the ranking.

Reactions: pittmeister
The statement was made "Maybe the coaches don't view him as a 4 star" it wasn't directly related to Pitt. My question was which teams "consistently" make the CFP. Teams with more two or three stars or teams with 3 and 4 stars Ranked by rivals

But we keep on winning. HAILTOPITT!

Listen.. Coaches use recruiting rankings when it serves to boast their own interests. If you your ranking is really high, you're probably going to talk about it. If your ranking isn't so great, you might only talk about it if you outperform the ranking.
At least you’re willing to admit the rankings matter. If only from a perception standpoint. But, the reality is, if Pitt currently had a top 10 class, everyone on this board would be celebrating, so would the coaches. The coaches would also retweet some stupid thing the graphics department creates bragging about being top 10. The suggestion coaches don’t care is absolutely ludicrous.

Rankings dont matter and Duzz doesnt want the headache that comes with a 4 star but i think he is getting up in his tenure where he believes he can play with the big boys.
He is a semi Pitt HC legend in the making.
I stand by the Duzz.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
A 4 star is a 4 star no matter how you slice it.
He's a Rivals 4* and a 3* everywhere else. Nobody is arguing that, no matter how you slice it.

He's a decent recruit and I'd rather have him than not, but he's no program changer or anyone you dump other kids you like for.

You're being silly.

Reactions: H2PCA
But we keep on winning. HAILTOPITT!
For now. Pitt
He's a Rivals 4* and a 3* everywhere else. Nobody is arguing that, no matter how you slice it.

He's a decent recruit and I'd rather have him than not, but he's no program changer or anyone you dump other kids you like for.

You're being silly.
Again, he’s a 4 star on the gold standard of HS recruiting, and a site hundreds of people pay to get content. 247 is almost as bad as on3. And the truth is, the staff should have slow played the German kid who probably sucks, and waited 2 weeks to see what Howerton did.

I think Howerton always wanted to be at Pitt.

There was a point where it appeared and Howerton was disappointed that he no longer had a committable offer.

My guess is that has changed.
Apparently it did not change.

I have no problem answering the question. It's the teams that have the better recruits. Who are usually, but not always, the more highly rated recruits.

But I notice that you won't answer my questions, so let's try again. Alabama has one QB rated number one on their list and another guy number 10, but Rivals has the number 10 guy ranked higher. Which one is Alabama going after harder and putting more resources into recruiting, their guy or Rival's guy? Which one would a coach rather have, the number one ranked recruiting class by Rivals that leads to a team that is ranked number eight four years later when those guys are seniors and redshirt juniors, or the number eight ranked recruiting class by Rivals that ends up ranked number one in four years?

Like I said, the answers are easy and obvious, but to answer them correctly you have to admit that coaches would rather get the players that they think are better than the ones that Rivals does, and once you admit that you have to know, whether you'll say it or not, that that means that to the coaches the Rivals ranking really don't matter.

Kirby Smart has literally rattled off the recruiting rankings of his starting defense to explain why they are so good.

I’d say he puts some value in them. Or sees some value in being ranked high in them.

He sees value in the "propaganda" that he can get from them. If he thinks that his class is better than LSU's (just as an example) he not going to really care that Rivals thinks that LSU's class is better.

He cares what HE thinks and what his staff thinks, not what they think, in terms of who he should be recruiting and how hard he should be recruiting them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT