ADVERTISEMENT

recruit's head is going to explode.

I'm just spitballing here like everyone else. but I'm thinking more along the lines of 2 super conferences of 32 teams & a 16 team playoff. That pretty much includes every current P5 school. The D1 squeeze is going to be on teams 66-130, imo. I also think we will see current P5 schools rid their schedules of garbage games like UMass, Delaware, Western Michigan, and Austin Peay

Having read this correctly now, I think this is about right. Not two 32 team conferences, but probably two major conferences that eat up most of the playoff spots, and then another weaker conference but is at least strong enough to be at the table with the other two.

What the current worry is isn’t really that a bunch of P5 schools will get left out. Most will be okay. The worry is, unless you’re ND, Clemson, or FSU, there is no guarantee you will be in the “most” category, and no guarantee you will be in one of the two elite conferences if you want to be.

What the current worry is isn’t really that a bunch of P5 schools will get left out. Most will be okay. The worry is, unless you’re ND, Clemson, or FSU, there is no guarantee you will be in the “most” category, and no guarantee you will be in one of the two elite conferences if you want to be.
I think Clemson is a good case study. Football earnings have gone up $10million a year from when they hired Dabo and started finding success (before you add the improved ACC earnings). That's mostly donations and ticket sales but it's roughly the difference in TV revenue between where Clemson is projected at with ACC money versus a typical SEC payout, today. Disney/Comcast negotiations, tbd.

How much is Clemson being an annual favorite to make the CFP worth? 10 million? Does hindering their path in any way change the conversation? I don't know those answers but I think it's worthy of consideration, especially if the B1G is a more likely landing spot.

I think Clemson is a good case study. Football earnings have gone up $10million a year from when they hired Dabo and started finding success (before you add the improved ACC earnings). That's mostly donations and ticket sales but it's roughly the difference in TV revenue between where Clemson is projected at with ACC money versus a typical SEC payout, today. Disney/Comcast negotiations, tbd.

How much is Clemson being an annual favorite to make the CFP worth? 10 million? Does hindering their path in any way change the conversation? I don't know those answers but I think it's worthy of consideration, especially if the B1G is a more likely landing spot.

Or can you stay a playoff front runner if you aren’t in one of those conferences say 10 years from now?

Recruiting in the south is going to be impossible for Clemson at some point if they aren’t in the southern super conference, or at least a super conference capable of competing with it. They will get killed on the trail.

Or can you stay a playoff front runner if you aren’t in one of those conferences say 10 years from now?

Recruiting in the south is going to be impossible for Clemson at some point if they aren’t in the southern super conference, or at least a super conference capable of competing with it. They will get killed on the trail.
I agree all of that. Does the SEC want them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT