ADVERTISEMENT

redshirts

Redshirts become grad transfers. Unless a player is unlikely to see the floor at all, redshirting is now a bad idea.

I remember Mark McCarroll playing a few games early one year and getting one.I didn't think it was medical.But I could be wrong.

To be eligible for a medical redshirt you need to play in roughly <30% of your team's games. Normal redshirt cannot play in any.

Wonder if they go the Medical RS route with Peace after he was legitimately limping around against WVU? He's really raw, but I could see him bringing something in years 3, 4 and 5 if he RS' the remainder of this year.

Even 1 minute of play makes redshirt not eligible.
Maybe the rules are different now.But I'm pretty sure McCarroll played in some games before sitting out the rest of the year.I dont seem to remember an injuryAnd the following year was listed as a RS Freshman.
Wonder if they go the Medical RS route with Peace after he was legitimately limping around against WVU? He's really raw, but I could see him bringing something in years 3, 4 and 5 if he RS' the remainder of this year.
That was what really got me thinking about this to start with.

Maybe the rules are different now.But I'm pretty sure McCarroll played in some games before sitting out the rest of the year.I dont seem to remember an injuryAnd the following year was listed as a RS Freshman.

There were reports of some "exaggerations" during that era.

Maybe the rules are different now.

Actually the rules ARE different now than they used to be, and Pitt was also one of the schools that manipulated the rules after they made the change.

The current rule is that if you play even one second of one game you can no longer redshirt for non-medical reasons. To redshirt for medical reasons you need to have certification from a doctor that your injury was season ending. You cannot have played in more than 30% of your team's games. It also used to be that none of those games that you did play could occur in the second half of the season but I don't think that's a part of the rule anymore.

If I remember correctly mccarroll did suffer an injury. I'm pretty sure Samson George is gonna redshirt this year tho, don't recall seeing him at all.

He played against both Penn State and High Point. He had one point, one rebound and three fouls against the nitters.
Darn, I didn't even recall that. So I guess that means no redshirt for anyone then, unless like mentioned somehow peace applies for a medical one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT