guessing and off balance.
Reggie explained that he
often was that very "decoy."

Calling Jackson a "racist" for
that coaching decision is not
only stupid, but worse yet,
it's hateful and egregious.

Last edited:
Yeah I listened to that interview with Scottie Pippen. That had to be one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

Reactions: caleco's
More quotes attributed to Phil Jackson....

E4_JiyAX0AAhVoy

The quitter called Jordan selfish for retiring to play baseball, talk about a blind spot.

So you're pointing to 3 paragraphs in a book from 45 years ago as proof Jackson is a racist?

People's views can change. Robert Byrd went from joining the KKK to an outspoken advocate for black Americans.

Jackson played and coached a predominately black sport for 40+ years and the collective evidence of him being a racist is a few poor-taste generalizations in a book, a dislike of hip-hop clothing/attitudes, and a complaint from one player about treatment on a single play in his entire career. So he's a racist?

Last edited:
If he were writing the book
today, he undoubtedly
would have phrased his
remarks differently. Your
explanation is accurate
IMO. Jackson made
"generalizations" which
actually make some sense,
but today those remarks
wouldn't even be stated
for fear of being called a
racist.

Bottom line, the coach
drew up a play to win the
game. BTW, Kukoc made
the shot. Can anyone in
their right mind imagine a
coach thinking......hmmm
"let's set up a play that
gets the ball to the white
guy to make the shot."

Oh wait.....Adolf Rupp
would do it...BUT he
only had white players! LOL

So you're pointing to 3 paragraphs in a book from 45 years ago as proof Jackson is a racist?

People's views can change. Robert Byrd went from joining the KKK to an outspoken advocate for black Americans.

Jackson played and coached a predominately black sport for 40+ years and the collective evidence of him being a racist is a few poor-taste generalizations in a book, a dislike of hip-hop clothing/attitudes, and a complaint from one player about treatment on a single play in his entire career. So he's a racist?
Scottie Pippen spent a decade with the man. Everyone's personal interaction with someone is different. If Pippen feels that way about the man, he's totally entitled to that. He's more of an authority on the subject than random folks commenting on the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Scottie Pippen spent a decade with the man. Everyone's personal interaction with someone is different. If Pippen feels that way about the man, he's totally entitled to that. He's more of an authority on the subject than random folks commenting on the internet.

Pippen just wants to divert from his personal failure. Odd that he'd want to play for that racist, no?

He's certainly THE authority on his opinion. That doesn't make his opinion correct, however.

Exactly. Pippen spent a decade with the man and the sum total of his proof of Jackson's racism is drawing up a single game winning shot for a very good shooter, who happened to be white, over Pippen.

That's dispositive IMO. You bring the real stuff or you don't call someone a racist. I'm as woke as this board gets and if that's all Pippen has after basically spending every minute with Jackson for 10 years then he should follow Kendrick Lamar's advice and be humble, sit down.

Exactly. Pippen spent a decade with the man and the sum total of his proof of Jackson's racism is drawing up a single game winning shot for a very good shooter, who happened to be white, over Pippen.

That's dispositive IMO. You bring the real stuff or you don't call someone a racist. I'm as woke as this board gets and if that's all Pippen has after basically spending every minute with Jackson for 10 years then he should follow Kendrick Lamar's advice and be humble, sit down.
I think he's trying to sell his whiskey...

As to Phil... I'd be shocked if he's an overt "call you the N-word" type racist. But based on those book excerpts and the LeBron "posse" controversy.... he's probably a "death by a thousand microaggressions" type racist who does stuff younger guys will call racist but to him are just things he grew up doing?

I dunno. I think Pippen is just trying to drum up attention for his brand.

I think he's trying to sell his whiskey...

As to Phil... I'd be shocked if he's an overt "call you the N-word" type racist. But based on those book excerpts and the LeBron "posse" controversy.... he's probably a "death by a thousand microaggressions" type racist who does stuff younger guys will call racist but to him are just things he grew up doing?

I dunno. I think Pippen is just trying to drum up attention for his brand.

Yeah, Pippen is marketing and maybe upset that his life is kind of falling apart because his wife is leaving him after publicly stepping out with a bunch of high profiles like Future. It would be embarrassing for anyone. Pippen is old news and he's trying to stay relevant.

The hip hop comments seem fine. I love hip hop but even I can admit that a lot of it is trashy. I do think using the term "thug" toward black people is commonly racist but in the context of showing your underwear while walking to the locker room I can't really say it's totally off base either.

The book excerpts are much more problematic but for 1975 they don't seem particularly racist to me. You have to kind of judge people on this stuff compared to the average position of the time. I think the stereotypes in Jackson's book are gross and wrong, but I can see them being fairly commonly held beliefs 45 years ago.

It's possible that Jackson was able to get away with low-level negative feelings about black people for 50 years but if this is all the evidence there is, I really can't support calling him a racist. And again, people change. Maybe he did feel that way in 1975 but changed his mind by 1995? And certainly having Kukoc take a single shot over Pippen, when they shot identical numbers that season, has essentially no bearing on Jackson's feelings toward black people.

Reactions: Ski11585
Is Jackson a racist? Pippen says yes, Shaquille O'Neal says no. Before I come to a conclusion, I need the perspectives of people like Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Earl Monroe, Jim Cleamons, Craig Hodges, . . .

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Well, it's what I was thinking at that time to actually....y wouldn't he let Pippen take the last shot? U know what, I bet Phil is racist. Smh

Well, it's what I was thinking at that time to actually....y wouldn't he let Pippen take the last shot? U know what, I bet Phil is racist. Smh

You know, the more I think about it, I'm surprised Phil let Pippen take any shots at all.

I don't know if Jackson is a racist or not. But those where blatant racist comments rather it was 5, 15, 25 or 45 years ago. And I bet you Scottie's time spent with Jackson was 20x times more than what Jackson spent in the environment of folks he commented on. And maybe I'll do some research and see if Jackson ever apologized for his racist statements.

HTP
Peace

I don't know if Jackson is a racist or not. But those where blatant racist comments rather it was 5, 15, 25 or 45 years ago. And I bet you Scottie's time spent with Jackson was 20x times more than what Jackson spent in the environment of folks he commented on. And maybe I'll do some research and see if Jackson ever apologized for his racist statements.

HTP
Peace
the world has lost the difference between bias and racism.

to qualify as racist the comments would have to demonstart a stark attempt to oppress someone based on race. so were those comments oppressing the players? or was this a foolish coach giving his opinion on the direction of the game. its a fine line

does thinking that things promoting gangsta lifestyles are bad make you a racist? things being promoted like that, say the glorification of the mob for instance, sends the wrong message to our society. if a mafioso culture dominated the league and everyone had don corleone posters everywhere would that be a good thing? probably not.

to qualify as racist the comments would have to demonstart a stark attempt to oppress someone based on race. so were those comments oppressing the players? or was this a foolish coach giving his opinion on the direction of the game. its a fine line

does thinking that things promoting gangsta lifestyles are bad make you a racist? things being promoted like that, say the glorification of the mob for instance, sends the wrong message to our society. if a mafioso culture dominated the league and everyone had don corleone posters everywhere would that be a good thing? probably not.

Interesting…. Do you think mob life is fascinating and romanticized by whites while simultaneously despising rap music and so called “thuggery”?

I likewise wish people would learn to differentiate between racism, stereotyping, and simply acknowledging cultural behavior.

I think that blacks are more successful basketball players in America. Some will say I'm a racist for saying this.

Interesting…. Do you think mob life is fascinating and romanticized by whites while simultaneously despising rap music and so called “thuggery”?
im sure that happens both ways on both sides. romanticizng either is silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and BPKY
I don’t know. I associate racism with hate. Call me naive. I don’t see that with Jackson.

In the past couple of days I’ve made some disparaging comments on this site about Italian soccer players and how they play. Not one person called me a racist. Nor should they have.

Reactions: bwh05 and caleco's
I don’t know. I associate racism with hate. Call me naive. I don’t see that with Jackson.

In the past couple of days I’ve made some disparaging comments on this site about Italian soccer players and how they play. Not one person called me a racist. Nor should they have.

I don't always correlate racism with hate. Sometimes it's just ignorance, especially 40-50 years ago. People can change, for good or for bad. My guess is that he'd have a very different opinion if asked about those quotes today.

I don't always correlate racism with hate. Sometimes it's just ignorance, especially 40-50 years ago. People can change, for good or for bad. My guess is that he'd have a very different opinion if asked about those quotes today.
Yeah I suppose you’re right. I just looked up the definition of racism, and if Phil discriminated against blacks because he wanted to play a certain way and his bias caused him to play white players over blacks in these scenarios…then by definition he was a racist.

And if I coach a soccer team, and I choose not to play Italians because I don’t want players who culturally have it as part of their DNA to fake injuries, then I guess I am too.

Reactions: BPKY and caleco's
Yeah I suppose you’re right. I just looked up the definition of racism, and if Phil discriminated against blacks because he wanted to play a certain way and his bias caused him to play white players over blacks in these scenarios…then by definition he was a racist.

And if I coach a soccer team, and I choose not to play Italians because I don’t want players who culturally have it as part of their DNA to fake injuries, then I guess I am too.
Gotta be careful with that.
If he played the white player
over the black player because
he felt black players played
a certain way and white
players another, that would
be racism because he was
judging them by color (race).

On the other hand if he judged
a player by his style of play that
wouldn't necessarily be racism.
If he saw the style as representative
of a certain race (black players),
and made his coaching choice on
that, it would be racism.

Another way to look at it: I'm a
white Bball player and am sitting
behind a black player who can
among other things jump higher.
I accuse the coach of racism
because he sees me as a white
dude who can't jump. I scream
racism because the coach
thinks black players can jump
higher than white dudes. If he
decides to sit me because he
believes as a class of people,
whites can't jump as high.....
That would be racism.

I know, I know...LOL. I just
opened this up to some
wise ass comebacks on here
about white dudes can't
jump. LOL

Reactions: BPKY

Robert Byrd was a POS is entire life , nice try. He only said sorry when his hood fell off and he was caught, wow, changing history, let me guess.......

Look, Pippen has said and done some stupid things. But, he knows Jackson a LOT more than any of us do. Being around him daily and intimately for so long, there are other things about him that led to that statement.

Its his opinion, same as any of us might have an opinion of Pippen.

Speaking more broadly on this topic - Its mind numbing how white people lose their minds over this kind of stuff - really, and I am not fan of the term/concept, but an example of "white privilege."

I never have and never will refer to anyone as "racist" and there are a number of good posts in this thread with people differentiating on this issue. It is isn't either you are a racist or not. All human categorize other people in some way, shape or form. NONE of us is immune to the process. It is a matter of how aware we are of it, how honest we are about it to ourselves and how much we indulge it.

I am white, but I am 100% empathetic to the experience of black (and other nonwhite) people in this country. Every single moment of every single day you are under a microscope, you are always treated a little different. There is a LOT of pressure there.

If you don't get it, just take a step back and look at the way white people lose their bloody minds over this topic.

Last edited:
Look, Pippen has said and done some stupid things. But, he knows Jackson a LOT more than any of us do. Being around him daily and intimately for so long, there are other things about him that led to that statement.

Its his opinion, same as any of us might have an opinion of Pippen.

Speaking more broadly on this topic - Its mind numbing how white people lose their minds over this kind of stuff - really, and I am not fan of the term/concept, but an example of "white privilege."

I never have and never will refer to anyone as "racist" and there are a number of good posts in this thread with people differentiating on this issue. It is isn't either you are a racist or not. All human categorize other people in some way, shape or form. NONE of us is immune to the process. It is a matter of how aware we are of it, how honest we are about it to ourselves and how much we indulge it.

I am white, but I am 100% empathetic to the experience of black (and other nonwhite) people in this country. Every single moment of every single day you are under a microscope, you are always treated a little different. There is a LOT of pressure there.

If you don't get it, just take a step back and look at the way white people lose their bloody minds over this topic.

Again, it's not Pippen's opinion versus mine. Pippen is a public figure and he made a public accusation. We're reviewing Pippen's public claim empirically and analytically. If he or anyone can't handle objective scrutiny, then they shouldn't be calling someone a racist.

I'm repeating myself here, but Pippen's statement that a single incident of a coach choosing an equally good shooter of a different race to take a final shot in a game, makes that coach a racist is patently absurd. It has nothing to do with being racially sensitive or racially insensitive. Pippen's claim - remember, that single shot anecdote is all he said, he had the opportunity to dish more and he didn't - just doesn't rise to the level of racism.

I agree that racism isn't a binary thing, and that one can do and say singularly offensive things about race while still falling short of being a racist. Calling someone a racist is a high bar, and requires a persistent and pervasive conduct or character that is nowhere near satisfied in this single event that has a ton of far more plausible explanations. Pippen failed to meet that bar with this single story. He didn't even come close IMO.

Every single moment of every single day you are under a microscope, you are always treated a little different. There is a LOT of pressure there.
This sounds a bit "Wendy Bell"ish to me, many, many people/families who are part of an ethnic minority are happy, well adjusted, and living the American Dream, just like you.

This sounds a bit "Wendy Bell"ish to me, many, many people/families who are part of an ethnic minority are happy, well adjusted, and living the American Dream, just like you.
Wendy Bell?

OK ...

Some for the most part, but its there, the poker face is part if the survival skill.

Reactions: BPKY
Again, it's not Pippen's opinion versus mine. Pippen is a public figure and he made a public accusation. We're reviewing Pippen's public claim empirically and analytically. If he or anyone can't handle objective scrutiny, then they shouldn't be calling someone a racist.

I'm repeating myself here, but Pippen's statement that a single incident of a coach choosing an equally good shooter of a different race to take a final shot in a game, makes that coach a racist is patently absurd. It has nothing to do with being racially sensitive or racially insensitive. Pippen's claim - remember, that single shot anecdote is all he said, he had the opportunity to dish more and he didn't - just doesn't rise to the level of racism.

I agree that racism isn't a binary thing, and that one can do and say singularly offensive things about race while still falling short of being a racist. Calling someone a racist is a high bar, and requires a persistent and pervasive conduct or character that is nowhere near satisfied in this single event that has a ton of far more plausible explanations. Pippen failed to meet that bar with this single story. He didn't even come close IMO.
What if he called him a douchebag, POS, or something else. What is it about "racist" that is so special?"

Look, he's butt hurt not getting the call for the final shot, popped off calling him a racist based off his observations over many years.

Doing so, not at this highest of all levels you are making it out to be, he isn't viewing it the same as you, it was just throwing shade.

What if he called him a douchebag, POS, or something else. What is it about "racist" that is so special?
Aw JB , now you got me pulled in, to answer the question you pose here its very simple, IMO. Racist is a defined characteristic, the others are vague descriptions denoting an opinion of one's character. There in lies the problem, calling someone a "racist" because you don't agree with their politics , decisions, etc, is somewhat a feeble use of logic and basically appears juvenile . ( I am not making a judgement on the Pippen's view, but merely answering the questioned posed ...)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT