ADVERTISEMENT

Remind me again ...

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
what was broken after Pitt won the ACCT in 2021? I know this might sound like a rhetorical question. It's not. And while hindsight is 20/20, how could a program make such an egregious mistake in personnel decisions after the most success Pitt Football had since 1976?

Teams and programs don't accidentally go from 11-3, 9-4, to 2-10 (or 3-9, or 4-8). Not unless they lose a ton of key players to injuries. Or, they try to fix something that wasn't broken.

This is still a head scratcher. Every week this year (with the exception of the Louisville game) the HC preached about making adjustments, practicing better, coaching better, watching the tape to see what went wrong, etc. Nearly every player interviewed said the team was cohesive. And yet here we are ... loss after embarrassing loss ... and the post-game comments are no different.

I took a poll earlier regarding whether Pitt or the New England Patriots would have a better record through 12 games. I read an article that seemed quite accurate that Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick will part ways after this season if their losses continue. My new poll should read: Will Narduzzi face the same outcome?

Reactions: FireballZ
Apparently to Pat Narduzzi, the team didn’t run the ball enough. Which is true to a certain extent, but Instead of running the coordinator out of town, why couldn’t he just asked him to run the ball 10 more times a game? Or get a coordinator that runs the same system that will commit to having a running game that complements the defense?

what was broken after Pitt won the ACCT in 2021? I know this might sound like a rhetorical question. It's not. And while hindsight is 20/20, how could a program make such an egregious mistake in personnel decisions after the most success Pitt Football had since 1976?

Teams and programs don't accidentally go from 11-3, 9-4, to 2-10 (or 3-9, or 4-8). Not unless they lose a ton of key players to injuries. Or, they try to fix something that wasn't broken.

This is still a head scratcher. Every week this year (with the exception of the Louisville game) the HC preached about making adjustments, practicing better, coaching better, watching the tape to see what went wrong, etc. Nearly every player interviewed said the team was cohesive. And yet here we are ... loss after embarrassing loss ... and the post-game comments are no different.

I took a poll earlier regarding whether Pitt or the New England Patriots would have a better record through 12 games. I read an article that seemed quite accurate that Bob Kraft and Bill Belichick will part ways after this season if their losses continue. My new poll should read: Will Narduzzi face the same outcome?
You can blame it almost entirely on Duzz’s ham-handed handling of the OC position following that season. And then to run his mouth about it after the fact….the guy’s an idiot. I’m sorry but he just is.

Apparently to Pat Narduzzi, the team didn’t run the ball enough. Which is true to a certain extent, but Instead of running the coordinator out of town, why couldn’t he just asked him to run the ball 10 more times a game? Or get a coordinator that runs the same system that will commit to having a running game that complements the defense?

why couldn’t he just asked him to run the ball 10 more times a game?

Are you serious?

“Hey Whip I really like what you’ve done with the offense, setting school records and winning a ton and all, but I’d really appreciate it if you could find a way to squeeze in just a few extra run plays, it would just make me feel better about our run/pass split.”

Reactions: H2Ppanthers
The issue with THAT is that it is an imbecilic premise. Other than maybe the perennial top 5 or 6 programs, no program can assemble enough quality OL to win like that. A middling program like Pitt that won’t spend on players will always have less net talent than at least half of its opponents, so it needs to succeed with speed, smoke and mirrors. 2016 proved that.

Even 2021 wasn’t all that great an offense; we simply got breaks in the extra Covid year for Pickett and the scheduling more than anything (Clemson being relatively down, and not having to play anything better than crappy Wake in the champ game). He ranted like a loon and ran Whip out but ironically the offense was only slightly less conservative than the boring predictable pro set crap he lusts for. Most years it doesn’t work (for a program like ours). Something like 2016 is much more likely to succeed for gibrone program like ours.

Nobody wants to hear it but Todd Graham had exactly the right idea for how to succeed at a school like ours. Speed, unpredictability, impose constant confusion and pressure on the defense. Undoubtedly he was a total creep but he was right.

Last edited:
I mean TCU played in the National Championship game last year and are now 4-6. It's difficult to maintain top 10 or even top 25 success when you aren't a blueblood like tOSU, Bama, etc.

Reactions: TD_6082
Thought it was obvious his loyalty to super seniors started the downward spiral. Regardless of talent, positions were handed out on the ensuing depth charts based on loyalty. The number of recruits into the program was embarrassing low at 12. Look at the DL talent whiffing on that tight end last night. Should never have been granted 6th years.

1. QB - the team hasnt had a good QB to replace Pickett. Slovis was mediocre last season and therefore, so was the team. Jurkovec/CV are bad and therefore so is the team.

2. The 2021 and 2022 recruting classes. 2 of the worst in school history.

That's pretty much it.

Thought it was obvious his loyalty to super seniors started the downward spiral. Regardless of talent, positions were handed out on the ensuing depth charts based on loyalty. The number of recruits into the program was embarrassing low at 12. Look at the DL talent whiffing on that tight end last night. Should never have been granted 6th years.
Another PantherLair myth.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Another PantherLair myth.

You dont just give out 12 scholarships after you win the ACC. That was maybe the wost decision ever made. If he wanted to keep the 6th year seniors, that's fine but he needed to make 10-15 cuts elsewhere to bring in new guys. The worst part is, he whiffed on a lot of those guys so we only have 3 or 4 ACC level players from an entire class. That cant happen.

You dont just give out 12 scholarships after you win the ACC. That was maybe the wost decision ever made. If he wanted to keep the 6th year seniors, that's fine but he needed to make 10-15 cuts elsewhere to bring in new guys. The worst part is, he whiffed on a lot of those guys so we only have 3 or 4 ACC level players from an entire class. That cant happen.
You seem to mistake me for someone who values winning at the cost of a school's integrity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT