ADVERTISEMENT

Reid to LSU

NBA top draft picks of the last five years:
2016. Ben Simmons, played for an LSU that didn't make the NCAA tournament
2017. Markelle Fultz, played a small number of games for Washington Huskies, mostly drafted from high school film.
2018. Deandre Ayton. Suspended from Arizona for infamous incident.
2019. Zion Williamson. Had season ending injury at Duke. His shoe exploded.
2020. Anthony Edwards. Played on 5-13 team, finished 13th place in the SEC.

No, the tournament doesn't help you really at that level.

NBA top draft picks of the last five years:
2016. Ben Simmons, played for an LSU that didn't make the NCAA tournament
2017. Markelle Fultz, played a small number of games for Washington Huskies, mostly drafted from high school film.
2018. Deandre Ayton. Suspended from Arizona for infamous incident.
2019. Zion Williamson. Had season ending injury at Duke. His shoe exploded.
2020. Anthony Edwards. Played on 5-13 team, finished 13th place in the SEC.

No, the tournament doesn't help you really at that level.

The lowest ranked player you listed was #4 in his class. There's a huge chasm between the one-and-done guys in the top 5 who don't need a tournament to get exposure and everyone else, even very good prospects like Reid.

Playing in the tournament helps good college players but marginal NBA talents like Kyle Guy and Ty Jerome. Those are the types of players we can get at our absolute ceiling and that's why we need to play deeper into the season. It's a virtuous cycle.

Hard to argue, I can't construct an alternative universe where Kyle Guy is on a Virginia team that loses in the first round again to see how it impacts draft stock. There are plenty of 2nd round draft picks from schools that missed the tournament, I think it's more measurables for a big like Reid

The lowest ranked player you listed was #4 in his class. There's a huge chasm between the one-and-done guys in the top 5 who don't need a tournament to get exposure and everyone else, even very good prospects like Reid.
You guys keep repeating this despite the fact that Reid picked LSU over FSU. In his time at LSU, Wade has one Sweet 16. In the same period, FSU has two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8. If he cared about a tourney run, there is zero logic in choosing LSU over FSU. There are other more important criteria.

Hard to argue, I can't construct an alternative universe where Kyle Guy is on a Virginia team that loses in the first round again to see how it impacts draft stock. There are plenty of 2nd round draft picks from schools that missed the tournament, I think it's more measurables for a big like Reid

My general point is not that tournament experience is a must have to be drafted, just that there are a lot of guys that could be drafted from about picks 25-60 in any given year and playing more games, and being seeing by more eyes, probably helps sell a team on taking you versus another, similarly graded player.

You guys keep repeating this despite the fact that Reid picked LSU over FSU. In his time at LSU, Wade has one Sweet 16. In the same period, FSU has two Sweet 16s and an Elite 8. If he cared about a tourney run, there is zero logic in choosing LSU over FSU. There are other more important criteria.
Never said that there weren't more important criteria. Obviously, the NBA cares about how you project to the next level most of all. But look at the 2019 NBA draft as an example. Every single non-European player from picks 16-29 played in the NCAA tournament that year.

I think that once the NBA is through with the can't miss prospects, they move to the highest upside guys, and by the end of the 1st everyone is fairly flawed or limited in what they can do at the next level. How do teams differentiate among a ton of guys with flawed profiles? NCAA tournament experience appears to be a factor.

College bb recruiting is a cesspool , there’s simply too much money up for grabs that little things like honesty and integrity have anything to do with anything .

Successful coaches ( and some unsuccessful ones ! ) make millions of dollars a yr for coaching supposedly unpaid players , seems like a very odd system doesn’t it !

No , a college education is not what most of these kids want and if asked whether they’d like to attend classes or be paid the tuition money in cash what do you think the choice would be $$$$$

JC knows the kind of players he needs to succeed in the ACC and if he only recruits kids who would be thrilled to play for Pitt everyone on this site would be bitching . I refer to Pitt Fb as home of the three stars , your not beating Duke ,UNC , Louisville , Virginia ,FSU in bb consistently with three stars .

I’ve felt for a long time that a school like Pitt needs to find kids who the big boys overlook , too skinny , an inch or two shorter than ideal , a half a step slow , but kids who can play D and shoot . Time after time going back to JD Pitt just doesn’t win the recruiting battles for their priority targets .

Did anyone really think that Pitt was going to beat out LSU or FSU for this kid ? Really !!

JC would have to be stupid to take it upon himself to do what’s ever necessary to sign kids like Ried without the total consent of his bosses . He’s guaranteed millions for yrs why give them an easy out of his contract .

Going forward with the new transfer rule in effect this only makes Pitts chances of competing with the big boys even less likely . The kids slipping through the cracks like a Justin C won’t hesitate to move on from a program like Pitt if they put up big numbers as freshman .

Under the current circumstances wining bb at Pitt ( in conference) really is a .500 record or close to it . Until Pitts willing to get its hands a little dirty they just won’t get the players they need to be better and I don’t care what the coaches name is .

College bb recruiting is a cesspool , there’s simply too much money up for grabs that little things like honesty and integrity have anything to do with anything .

Successful coaches ( and some unsuccessful ones ! ) make millions of dollars a yr for coaching supposedly unpaid players , seems like a very odd system doesn’t it !

No , a college education is not what most of these kids want and if asked whether they’d like to attend classes or be paid the tuition money in cash what do you think the choice would be $$$$$

JC knows the kind of players he needs to succeed in the ACC and if he only recruits kids who would be thrilled to play for Pitt everyone on this site would be bitching . I refer to Pitt Fb as home of the three stars , your not beating Duke ,UNC , Louisville , Virginia ,FSU in bb consistently with three stars .

I’ve felt for a long time that a school like Pitt needs to find kids who the big boys overlook , too skinny , an inch or two shorter than ideal , a half a step slow , but kids who can play D and shoot . Time after time going back to JD Pitt just doesn’t win the recruiting battles for their priority targets .

Did anyone really think that Pitt was going to beat out LSU or FSU for this kid ? Really !!

JC would have to be stupid to take it upon himself to do what’s ever necessary to sign kids like Ried without the total consent of his bosses . He’s guaranteed millions for yrs why give them an easy out of his contract .

Going forward with the new transfer rule in effect this only makes Pitts chances of competing with the big boys even less likely . The kids slipping through the cracks like a Justin C won’t hesitate to move on from a program like Pitt if they put up big numbers as freshman .

Under the current circumstances wining bb at Pitt ( in conference) really is a .500 record or close to it . Until Pitts willing to get its hands a little dirty they just won’t get the players they need to be better and I don’t care what the coaches name is .
I just don’t buy it.

Too easy and convenient of an excuse.

Recruit what you can get. Develop it. Coach It.

it may be a harder path, but you can win with an eye for talent, a developmental system and good to great coaching.

I just don’t buy it.

Too easy and convenient of an excuse.

Recruit what you can get. Develop it. Coach It.

it may be a harder path, but you can win with an eye for talent, a developmental system and good to great coaching.
Name me a program in the ACC without superior talent that wins .

FSU would have made more sense -
Except they have 3 guys like him every year
But I like Hamilton

Jeff is done here , now the $$$ people , Heather aka the bad negotiator in BOTH sports, and brass, have to decide when they can afford to pull the plug

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT