ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Ian Troost and how some have him grief for his stance?

And yet
Pittathletics Twitter is now tweeting and retweeting approved corporate support

so are they lackies for Nike or being authentic ?
It’s worth questioning

I agree with you that Pitt athletic Twitter like so many others are being hypocrites. And we know why they have come forward as many others have.

But again when it took place Heather had bo$$es to answer to. So you as a Pharmacist...If you work for CVS or UPMC etc you have to follow their protocol if you want to keep your job and pay the bills. You may not agree with them and Heather may not either. So if you got word form corporate to tell someone under your supervision to remove a Political pin they deemed inappropriate but you didn’t think it was, would you not follow orders? Or would you deal with getting fired even if that meant you no longer have income to support your family.

Last edited:
How did you get that from what I said?

"One must demand freedom, not accept something less or trade it for something less." Seems pretty clear and it's a good reminder that freedom is rarely given. In this case, it's systemic oppression. People like Ian tried do be peaceful. That was wrong. Violence is wrong. Maybe wanting freedom racism is wrong, too?

You can marginalize it with tropes about who is really in charge or minimize it with obscure references. You're avoiding the substance.

I agree with you that Pitt athletic Twitter like so many others are being hypocrites. And we know why they have come forward as many others have.

But again when it took place Heather had bo$$es to answer to. So you as a Pharmacist...If you work for CVS or UPMC etc you have to follow their protocol if you want to keep your job and pay the bills. You may not agree with them and Heather may not either. So if you got word form corporate to tell someone under your supervision to remove a Political pin they deemed inappropriate but you didn’t think it was, would you not follow orders? Or would you deal with getting fired even if that meant you no longer have income to support your family.
You’re making an argument about something nobody is debating

Jeff Capel has credibility .
The athletic department lost theirs when it wasn’t convenient and marketable to speak out

You’re making an argument about something nobody is debating

Jeff Capel has credibility .
The athletic department lost theirs when it wasn’t convenient and marketable to speak out

The AD and Athletic dept are worried about $ just like every other AD and athletic dept in the nation. That’s why they all changed their stance. I see you didn’t answer my question about what you would do at your job?

Troost should have found a respectful way to voice his concern. I still feel the same about him...Fine with his message...Wrong way to deliver it.

Reactions: FallingRun84
The police have always been a problem for black people. It's only this century regular white folk have had reason to be nervous as well IMO.

Things have certainly evolved. In my younger days... it was getting rolled in the back of the police van on the way to the county. Or... once in the county... there was the infamous elevator. Guaranteed you would get rolled.

Nowadays... you got the militarization of the police force. The county Sheriff SWAT team showed up down the street to root out some kid high on heroin who was waving a gun around. In AN ARMORED CAR. Yes... an ARMORED CAR. Read that slowly and tell me what is wrong. And don't tell me this is something new and is all on Trump and once he is gone its all good. This started under Bush and continued under Obama.

Reactions: CougarClaws
The AD and Athletic dept are worried about $ just like every other AD and athletic dept in the nation. That’s why they all changed their stance. I see you didn’t answer my question about what you would do at your job?
Simple answer is I haven’t worked in a place that lacked a policy regarding political speech .
If the pin was in conflict with policy - I have and will tell them regardless of my personal feelings - they are risking their employment .

If there isn’t a clear policy - I’d stand with them- so long as it wasn’t creating conflict or interfering with workplace efficiency and Morale

"One must demand freedom, not accept something less or trade it for something less." Seems pretty clear and it's a good reminder that freedom is rarely given. In this case, it's systemic oppression. People like Ian tried do be peaceful. That was wrong. Violence is wrong. Maybe wanting freedom racism is wrong, too?

You can marginalize it with tropes about who is really in charge or minimize it with obscure references. You're avoiding the substance.
Don’t project your feelings into my words. You have violence in your soul maybe. Not me.

But you demand from your elected officials this freedom. If you don’t get it, vote them out. These are all Democrat run cities. There is a pattern. Stop the pattern.

Don’t project your feelings into my words. You have violence in your soul maybe. Not me.

But you demand from your elected officials this freedom. If you don’t get it, vote them out. These are all Democrat run cities. There is a pattern. Stop the pattern.
I agree that everyone should show up to vote and I sincerely hope that all the protesters and everyone that's currently fed up do show up to vote in November and utilize the ballot to voice their anger.

However, with that said it's not simple to just show up and vote. I don't know what utopia or Mister Rogers Neighborhood that you currently live in, but I've seen first hand how voting has been systematically oppressed in minority areas. The purposeful understaffing and under supply of voting precincts in these areas with the intent of frustrating voters and suppressing their votes. Long lines wrapping around buildings and spilling out into the streets. It's purposeful and they know exactly what they're doing.

The current occupier of the presidency is actively fighting absentee or mail in ballots because he knows that he's in trouble if more people vote. He's depending on people not voting. That's how he won last time.

Last edited:
Nobody complains when they make bikinis or other goofy shit out of the flag and sell it at Walmart. Kneeling is hardly disrespectful against that garbage.
Disagree. Someone who purchases an American flag bikini or something else with the flag on it is attempting to be patriotic. They are showing they have love for our country. Somebody who kneels when the National Anthem is playing is the opposite.

Was Rocky 4 disrespectful as he wore the American flag boxing shorts??

Disagree. Someone who purchases an American flag bikini or something else with the flag on it is attempting to be patriotic. They are showing they have love for our country. Somebody who kneels when the National Anthem is playing is the opposite.

In what way is taking a knee disrespectful or unpatriotic
You’re being played by jingoistic nonsense from the Cold War .

Quick answer, yes.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

Link to the flag code. Appropriate section on wearing it. An "attempt" to be patriotic in this way is still disrespectful, just conveniently ignored. Most "patriots" displayed the flag incorrectly over the Memorial Day weekend. It was to be at half-staff. Well meaning but wrong. I mean, we have a local parade here and I'll see the "patriots" firmly parked on their lawn chairs sipping Keystone Lite as the colors pass. Just as disrespectful. Mostly ignorant. Somehow overlooked.

Quick answer, yes.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/8

Link to the flag code. Appropriate section on wearing it. An "attempt" to be patriotic in this way is still disrespectful, just conveniently ignored. Most "patriots" displayed the flag incorrectly over the Memorial Day weekend. It was to be at half-staff. Well meaning but wrong. I mean, we have a local parade here and I'll see the "patriots" firmly parked on their lawn chairs sipping Keystone Lite as the colors pass. Just as disrespectful. Mostly ignorant. Somehow overlooked.
So the people who incorrectly wear a flag in an attempt to be patriotic are more disrespectful and less patriotic than the individual who refuses to stand for the national anthem...Got it. Makes sense.

I would say any way that doesn't disrespect the flag or the country is acceptable. I guess workplace is debatable as well.

If you actually respect the flag and the principles that it represents, rather than the sad reality which rarely lives up to its lofty ideals, you'd support any form of peaceful protest. When you say he should find a "respectful way" to voice his concern, we all know what you're really saying and, frankly, it's embarrassing rhetoric.

If you take a knee instead of standing to pray - are you disrespecting the church .

nope. You receive communion and take a Knee and pray. When you enter the pew you take a knee and sign the cross before you enter. Then you walk across the alter you are to take a knee and sign the cross. So, no, praying while taking a knee is not a sign of disrespect.

In what way is taking a knee disrespectful or unpatriotic
You’re being played by jingoistic nonsense from the Cold War .
It is definitely unpatriotic because our president says so. We all know he always tells the truth.
My 95 yr old father-in-law says “that is why I fought in a war so that people can burn a flag”. He was/is a marine who spent a couple years in Okinawa 1943-45. Also a die hard Republican.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT