ADVERTISEMENT

Respect

oldpantherfan

Freshman
Sep 26, 2013
Capel was known as a recruiter and he has a top 15 class in his 3rd year with an open scholarship which if used right could put Pitt in the top 10.
When was the last time that happened ?
He has improved on everything since he arrived ?
Can the liar finally give him some respect ?

Capel was known as a recruiter and he has a top 15 class in his 3rd year with an open scholarship which if used right could put Pitt in the top 10.

What the F are you talking about? This forum has given him tons
of respect except for a few nimrods.
You make like this forum sees him as doing a poor job. The opposite
is true. Most of us on here think he's doing a great job. Your shtick is
as old as your screen name. It's also wrong.

I hope he's not talking about all of us! Although there's only couple guys on here that's not sold on him and there's one guy who really dislikes him and we all know who that is. If we get Sanogo and have a top 10 class that person will find something bad to say about Capel!!!!
What the F are you talking about? This forum has given him tons
of respect except for a few nimrods.
You make like this forum sees him as doing a poor job. The opposite
is true. Most of us on here think he's doing a great job. Your shtick is
as old as your screen name. It's also wrong.

Reactions: Chescat
Most people are thrilled with Capel and think he is doing a good job. Great representative of the University and has done a good job rebuilding the roster. Winning in the court is the next step and while the roster is not perfect it is much improved so hopefully we are closer to winning.

There was definitely a vocal minority on here that gave Capel almost no credit after two recruiting classes and doubted his coaching ability. I just started following this board more closely so I was never sure who the players were, i.e. if they were Dixon fans who are still butt-hurt, the frustrated youth that think Rome can be built in one day, or just the usual SLY contingent with their perpetually half empty glass.

I noticed that just as many regular posters defended Capel; but this also brought out a lot of posters who don't frequently post and they told the negative nancys to get a grip and give the guy a chance. Overall the board remained cautiously optimistic. This is just my take as a relative newcomer to the board.

There was definitely a vocal minority on here that gave Capel almost no credit after two recruiting classes and doubted his coaching ability. I just started following this board more closely so I was never sure who the players were, i.e. if they were Dixon fans who are still butt-hurt, the frustrated youth that think Rome can be built in one day, or just the usual SLY contingent with their perpetually half empty glass.

I noticed that just as many regular posters defended Capel; but this also brought out a lot of posters who don't frequently post and they told the negative nancys to get a grip and give the guy a chance. Overall the board remained cautiously optimistic. This is just my take as a relative newcomer to the board.

IMO this board is far more positive and enthusiatic about Capel. This
thread is typical of that. Your comment, "cautiously optimistic" is
the closest to a negative, and in fact is anything but negative. We
know it's not a quick fix. Capel has repeatedly said that over and over.
He had a miraculous, last minute recruiting haul upon being hired.
Second year recruiting was decent, and this third year recruiting is
ranked and one of our best in many years. Coaching?? Both years
he won far more than he lost in non conference games.
ACC games?? EVERY win was an overachievement by his players.
Those ACC wins were with his players being undermanned in both
talent and depth. We love this guy!

Perhaps there was a bit of an over reaction to this post? After all, oldpantherfan used the singular "liar" and not the plural "liars." Its hard to know which specific poster he was calling out since there is no handle mentioned for context.

Personally speaking, I didn't take this post as being negative or as calling out many/most of those who post on this board regularly. Am I missing something?

IMO this board is far more positive and enthusiatic about Capel. This
thread is typical of that. Your comment, "cautiously optimistic" is
the closest to a negative, and in fact is anything but negative. We
know it's not a quick fix. Capel has repeatedly said that over and over.
He had a miraculous, last minute recruiting haul upon being hired.
Second year recruiting was decent, and this third year recruiting is
ranked and one of our best in many years. Coaching?? Both years
he won far more than he lost in non conference games.
ACC games?? EVERY win was an overachievement by his players.
Those ACC wins were with his players being undermanned in both
talent and depth. We love this guy!
I feel the same as you do.

One trend I notice on the sports boards is how posters often expect a highly touted freshman will make an immediate impact. They rarely do. And some days I would come on here and see a thread nearly asking that we start looking for Capel's replacement. It was usually a handful of posters and you were probably one of those arguing against them. I'm not saying the board was against Capel, but there are many times I'd come on here and see a few posters together expressing strong doubts whether or not the Capel hire was the right move. Usually every time we lost a recruiting target, like the guard who chose to go to NC. I know it.

Just saying that oldpantherfan isn't crazy. He's just overstating the scope of the negativity on here IMO.

Reactions: Tonyt66
Perhaps there was a bit of an over reaction to this post? After all, oldpantherfan used the singular "liar" and not the plural "liars." Its hard to know which specific poster he was calling out since there is no handle mentioned for context.

Personally speaking, I didn't take this post as being negative or as calling out many/most of those who post on this board regularly. Am I missing something?

I don't usually call out posters on this board, bacause I respect opinions of
other posters. However, I make an exception for two posters...SMF ( can
you blame me? LOL). The other is Old Panther, who constantly criticizes
the board and posters for being anti Pitt, negative towards players, and
in this case not supporting Capel. If it were a one time post, I'd have not
said anything. His is the same ole tired shtick.

Reactions: below0w
Just saying that oldpantherfan isn't crazy. He's just overstating the scope of the negativity on here IMO.

Unfortunately that "overstating the scope of the negativity on here" is in
an oft repeated post. That's why I keep saying it's his same ole shtick.

Reactions: BPKY

Guess I have generally paid very little attention to his posts so he hasn’t gotten under my skin like SMF and a couple of others have.

Guess I have generally paid very little attention to his posts so he hasn’t gotten under my skin like SMF and a couple of others have.

If there were a way to go back and check posts made by posters on
here (maybe there is and I don't know how)....go ahead and check
and you'll see what I'm talking about.
I respect opinions on here...but not the same ole negative shtick.

Perhaps there was a bit of an over reaction to this post? After all, oldpantherfan used the singular "liar" and not the plural "liars.

Go back and look at the original post."liar" was used as a sort of pun for Lair.
That's pretty obvious to me.The quote said "the Liar".....I'd bet the ranch
that was a reference to the lair, and not to a singular poster.

Last edited:
Unfortunately that "overstating the scope of the negativity on here" is in
an oft repeated post. That's why I keep saying it's his same ole shtick.
I get ya now....then he needs to address the specific posters.

I would rather listen to SMF make a 6 hour sales pitch for a timeshare in Aleppo than read another one of oldpantherfan's condescending screeds lambasting anyone for being objective about the state of Pitt basketball. The irony is that he's the most negative poster here by far, he truly adds nothing of value.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT