ADVERTISEMENT

Retro

Dog years perhaps, but I'm on record.
I like the 1976 color scheme, not the '86 color scheme.
Script, yes. Bob the builder yella, no.
I like the LOUD BRIGHT YELLOW, it stands out! People will be 110% sure who's in the house when they get used to it! Strange, but most of the P5 schools have BLAND, DULL colors. I like being the exception.

Probably didn't even cover the cost of the re-branding effort. If you add the subsequent re-branding to block PITT and the new one to get back to where we were, it's certainly been a huge negative.

Probably didn't even cover the cost of the re-branding effort. If you add the subsequent re-branding to block PITT and the new one to get back to where we were, it's certainly been a huge negative.
High priced charlatans, and frankly most ADs are at least part that, can't justify their money (and position themselves for The Next Job) without making SOME visible moves. Steve wasn't gonna be able to unleash the bagmen at Pitt, which was the only way to dramatically improve our play on the field quickly ... and while Walt Harris ended up doing ok (and Howland much better than that) neither was a splash hire and frankly their prospects were minimal when hired. It was the same story then as now im sure...Pitt with limited money and distaste for going balls in to win. But how is an ambitious Ad with sights on a blue blood going to impress anyone that way?

So the guy desperately had to look like he was "bold". What better way than to hack some school traditions to pieces. The stadium of course was above his pay grade, and credit/blame for that belongs with the highest brass, but I'm sure SP had more authority with the logos and colors.

As far as the revenue impact, I'm sure he knew it was strictly desperation window dressing and only winning REALLY drives dramatic merchandise sales increases. But it would LOOK like something was happening.

As far as the flack, he never expected to be there long, and especially that he would have to come slinking back in disgrace someday, so what did he care?

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT