ADVERTISEMENT

Rivalry Observations

chirurgo

Redshirt
Feb 1, 2004
The Penn State fan base that I interacted with miss the rivalry. I had the pleasure of attending the game with a family of Penn Staters who go 3 generations deep as season ticket holders. They were nothing but respectful hosts and even were angry with Franklin's comments after the game. They believe he lacks class no matter what his intentions were with his comments postgame. They want the rivalry to continue.

The Penn State athletic department really screwed the Pitt fans for this game. I purchased 2 tickets based on my points standing as a 23 year season ticket holder. The face value was $110 per ticket and the sits were upper end zone row 84. I gave the tickets to 2 old friends from Pitt. I sat at the 30 yd line about 40 rows back in my friends seats and the face value on my ticket was $55.

On my way out of the stadium I was approached by several Penn State fans who were very humble Nobody I spoke to thought Penn State played a good game, and they all felt fortunate for coming out with a win.

Tailgating, I saw families and friends on opposite sides coming together and celebrating the rivalry. The atmosphere at the game many commented was unlike any other game of the last decade.

While I was angry with Pitt's performance as the clock expired, I was uplifted walking out of the stadium. Winning the game counts only toward bragging rights for Pitt. They didn't lose a lot yesterday. Penn St clearly has more to lose with a loss. The most important thing is that the game was played period.

It means something for the fans and especially the alumni.

We enjoyed tailgating with many of our gracious PSU friends but will never attend a game at State College again. We had great seats at the game but encountered the rudest fanatical fan who was literally yelling in the face of my wife and I the entire game. We didn't even wear our Pitt jerseys as we knew we would be in the middle of the PSU fan section and we had heard some SU fans could be nasty. The sad part he wasn't even drunk. We've attended games at Notre Dame, Clemson, Duke and Chapel Hill, etc and always met wonderful courteous people. This PSU fan was a total jerk and one of the most obnoxious fans we have ever met. What a shame.

My brother went alone, as I had no interest in going with him, and he said he had 2 psu fans in front of him yelling at him every time something happened. He is an 45 year old humble lawyer and told them no need to yell as he is just there to support Pitt, but they kept it up all day. But... this would probably happen randomly at just about any away game I would think.

I took my family to the Clemson game, and they were great, we had no issues at all, but the dynamic was different" ,
A. Clemson was playing awesome and thought they were going to demolish Pitt.
B. Clemson isnt guilted with past atrocities that would make a cockroach puke.
C. Clemson, although equally as committed to the confederate flag, has the souther hospitality and charm going for it.
D. We had no rivalry with Clemson, and their fan base seemed genuinely happy that Pitt fans and family would come to their campus and watch the game
E. Clemson is not a cult.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
One funny sign (literally) of hope: The 2 schools held a fraternity banner contest. The winning banner? A Pitt frat brought a bed sheet with this poem written on it..."Roses are red, violets are blue, Jerry raped a bunch of kids and Joe knew!"

As far as I know, the voters where form both schools. Maybe every Pitt voter voted for that one banner and the PSU perverts split though?

My brother went alone, as I had no interest in going with him, and he said he had 2 psu fans in front of him yelling at him every time something happened. He is an 45 year old humble lawyer and told them no need to yell as he is just there to support Pitt, but they kept it up all day. But... this would probably happen randomly at just about any away game I would think.

I took my family to the Clemson game, and they were great, we had no issues at all, but the dynamic was different" ,
A. Clemson was playing awesome and thought they were going to demolish Pitt.
B. Clemson isnt guilted with past atrocities that would make a cockroach puke.
C. Clemson, although equally as committed to the confederate flag, has the souther hospitality and charm going for it.
D. We had no rivalry with Clemson, and their fan base seemed genuinely happy that Pitt fans and family would come to their campus and watch the game
E. Clemson is not a cult.
clemson committed to confederate flag????

Reactions: BBrown
If people can't taking some zingers from opposing fans at a game then don't go. Im actually upset when that doesn't happen.

Ive been to prob 60 road games at all venues Pitt has played at this century. PSU crowd was fine. I enjoy the back and forth.

The Penn State athletic department really screwed the Pitt fans for this game. I purchased 2 tickets based on my points standing as a 23 year season ticket holder. The face value was $110 per ticket and the sits were upper end zone row 84. I gave the tickets to 2 old friends from Pitt. I sat at the 30 yd line about 40 rows back in my friends seats and the face value on my ticket was $55.

The price difference was because the seats on the 30 were season tickets which are $55 per game. ($385 per seat for 7 games) The single game ticket price for those same seats was $175. Sony any Penn state fan who ordered single game tickets also paid inflated prices. Single game ticket prices are higher and very per game. They justify it by saying that you didn't have to pay the donation like the season ticket payer had to.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...misc_non_event/single-game-ticket-pricing.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT