ADVERTISEMENT

Rock and roll HOF 2024

Ozzy (I never knew RR was inducted solo prior to him, but makes sense)

Randy Rhoads didn't get in by being on the ballot and getting elected. He got in under some "musical excellence" category, because there was literally no chance that he would have ever been elected if he had to go through the balloting process. So he didn't really get in as a "solo" act.

It was the same way they got Judas Priest in, because after they were on the ballot a couple times and didn't even come close to election the people running the hall realized that they only way they were ever getting in was by bypassing the voting process.

From the current candidates, I would like to see

Oasis - the last great British import. And who wouldn't want an opportunity to see the Gallagher brothers start another hot war?

Jane's Addiction - Turned college rock into alt rock and kicked off the mainstreaming of it.

Cher - I'd prefer this one to be Sonny & Cher because Sonny was pretty important to her career. But regardless, she is the only artist to have a number 1 song in 7 decades. Think about that for a minute. For the record, I'm not a fan. But, like Taylor Swift and Madonna, I'm unbiased enough to recognize greatness when I see it, regardless of whether I personally like them or not.

Kool & the Gang - They were funk personified. The P-Funk is in, Earth, Wind & Fire are in. Kool & the Gang should be next, followed by the Commodores (although Lionel Richie is in solo). Plus, they played a Pitt postgame show and Walt Harris joined them on stage. What is cooler than that? :)

HM to Eric B and Rakim - they were total rap pioneers that inspired the west coast sound, even though they weren't west coast. Their time should come in future years.

For me it's Jethro Tull...are you kidding me?
Billy Idol for me. Billy Idol was part of everything that was cool with MTV back in the day. Plus, he melted punk, metal and pop into some fantastic songs. A shame he isn't in.

Why haven' they just dropped the "Rock & Roll" part and changed it to Music Hall of Fame at this point? I don't care who you induct, but just make the name logical. Inducting Mariah Carey and Eric B & Rakim into a Rock hall of fame is asinine, but it long since has been.
And since we’re on this subject, why did they build the R&R HOF on the lakefront? Anyone familiar with Cleveland knows it’s very difficult for pedestrians to get over there (for now).

They should’ve built it along the riverfront instead, across from Tower City as originally designed:
Tower-City-Riverview-phase2.jpg

And since we’re on this subject, why did they build the R&R HOF on the lakefront? Anyone familiar with Cleveland knows it’s very difficult for pedestrians to get over there (for now).

They should’ve built it along the riverfront instead, across from Tower City as originally designed:

There is plenty of parking nearby and the walk isn't that bad if you are parked downtown or took the RTA into town. And part of Cleveland's problems over the year is that they have a gorgeous lakefront and weren't really using it. Locating the science center and HOF there was done as part of the effort to take advantage of that and to beautify the area.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
There is plenty of parking nearby and the walk isn't that bad if you are parked downtown or took the RTA into town. And part of Cleveland's problems over the year is that they have a gorgeous lakefront and weren't really using it. Locating the science center and HOF there was done as part of the effort to take advantage of that and to beautify the area.
I’m hoping that land bridge they’re proposing will help unlock the lakefront’s potential. I lived up there for a few years and really do enjoy that city.

I’m hoping that land bridge they’re proposing will help unlock the lakefront’s potential. I lived up there for a few years and really do enjoy that city.
It is kind of shame how the city evolved over the past 100 years. It could be a jewel of a city with the river and lakefront. I know those factories were the lifeblood, but now it is just an industrial urban blight.

I live about 30/40 minutes and rarely go downtown. But I do like a lot of what the city has to offer. I'm also a fan of the westside, Ohio City and Tremont.

From the current candidates, I would like to see

Oasis - the last great British import. And who wouldn't want an opportunity to see the Gallagher brothers start another hot war?

Jane's Addiction - Turned college rock into alt rock and kicked off the mainstreaming of it.

Cher - I'd prefer this one to be Sonny & Cher because Sonny was pretty important to her career. But regardless, she is the only artist to have a number 1 song in 7 decades. Think about that for a minute. For the record, I'm not a fan. But, like Taylor Swift and Madonna, I'm unbiased enough to recognize greatness when I see it, regardless of whether I personally like them or not.

Kool & the Gang - They were funk personified. The P-Funk is in, Earth, Wind & Fire are in. Kool & the Gang should be next, followed by the Commodores (although Lionel Richie is in solo). Plus, they played a Pitt postgame show and Walt Harris joined them on stage. What is cooler than that? :)

HM to Eric B and Rakim - they were total rap pioneers that inspired the west coast sound, even though they weren't west coast. Their time should come in future years.
Pretty much spot on and agree with this.

Some acts that definitely should be in but looking like will never happen:

J. Geils Band
Joy Division/New Order
Warren Zevon
Thin Lizzy

Yeah, it is amazing that half the nominees aren't rock n roll. Mariah Carey is nominated, but no love for Jethro Tull, ELP or REO Speedwagon.
It's basically been the popular music from 1954 to onwards HOF from the start. Mariah Carey is arguably more Rock and Roll than the three bands you listed, there's a dash of R&B and soul in some of her songs, there's none of that in Tull's Renaissance Fair music, ELP's video game music or REO Speedwagon's Soft Rock.

• Haha
Reactions: HailtoPitt
It's basically been the popular music from 1954 to onwards HOF from the start. Mariah Carey is arguably more Rock and Roll than the three bands you listed, there's a dash of R&B and soul in some of her songs, there's none of that in Tull's Renaissance Fair music, ELP's video game music or REO Speedwagon's Soft Rock.
that's satire, right?

It's Cleveland, not Washington or LA.

Unfortunately, the odds of the brothers having anything at all to do with the Hall of Fame are less than 0.0%.

Because that would be a train wreck of epic proportions.

Then put her in the soul hall of fame or R&B hall of fame. If your going to put popular music acts in, then call it the "Popular Music Hall of Fame".

I always said that "Popular Music Hall of Fame" might not be what it's called, but that's what it is. No sense getting worked up over it (not saying you specifically are, just in general).

Reactions: Ray-Ray
Randy Rhoads didn't get in by being on the ballot and getting elected. He got in under some "musical excellence" category, because there was literally no chance that he would have ever been elected if he had to go through the balloting process. So he didn't really get in as a "solo" act.

It was the same way they got Judas Priest in, because after they were on the ballot a couple times and didn't even come close to election the people running the hall realized that they only way they were ever getting in was by bypassing the voting process.
The major fallacy in your argument is that the “voting process” doesn’t control who is elected. The ranking in votes from the public is “considered” but for the most part ignored. For example, Motley Crue led the public balloting one year. They didn’t get in and likely never will get in.

For years, no matter what the “process” was supposed to be, Jann Wenner, the founder of Rolling Stone and the HOF, and a few of his buddies in the industry controlled who got in. About 10 years ago, that got changed. There are more decision makers and the scope of who will be considered has been broadened.

Reactions: mike 301
Because that would be a train wreck of epic proportions.
That is kind of what I'm hoping for. :)

Although I do love them. Probably my favorite band of the 90's.

Also, Smashing Pumpkins should be in or at least nominated. Crazy that they're not. Some of their stuff sounds as fresh today as it did then.

Reactions: Mikefln

I’d go with:
Ozzy (I never knew RR was inducted solo prior to him, but makes sense)
Frampton - contributed to widespread talkbox experiemnting
Kravitz - a mix of style
DMB

I don’t consider some of them rock, but from an influence perspective would also vote for A tribe called quest.
I'm still have a hard time deciding which of these 7 I would vote for.

Here are my locks:

Ozzy -- he's big enough to be in there twice!
A Tribe Called Quest
Eric B. & Rakim

After those three, I'm really struggling. To me, this is a list of artists who fall just below "Hall of Fame" level.

But I'll start with Maria Carey. First let me say that I really don't like her at all. I don't really consider her all that much of an artist other than a voice. But I just can't get past that her 19 #1 singles puts her in second place, only behind the Beatles leading number of 20. As much as I can't stand her, I just don't know how you can leave her out.

I honestly don't know where to go with the last three. It's so hard for me to think as Foreigner and DMB as Hall of Fame artists. Nice bands, sure. But Hall of Fame?

I don't think Jane's Addiction is a Hall of Fame Band, but Perry Ferrel deserves some recognition for Lollapalooza.

Love Sinead O'Conner but did she really have a Hall of Fame career or was she that influential? It feels a bit short on both. Much the same for Lenny Kravitz.

Peter Frampton had the Live album of the Decade in 76 but soon after went into a self imposed exile.

Cher? A huge cultural icon of course, but was her music career Hall of Fame worthy? It's close.

I think I'd lean a little more in favor of Mary J. Blige over Cher because she was a molder of pop music in the 90's.

I love Sade -- she could be my favorite artist on this list, but I don't know how you put her in over Mary.

Kool and the Gang? I'm just not a fan because Celebration has tainted my brain. But 12 top 10 songs means something.

Oasis? There's no understating how HUGE they were in England. Does that count here?

So from this list, I've talked myself into Maria Carey as I already mentioned, Mary J. Blige, Peter Frampton and Oasis to go along with Ozzy, ATCQ and Eric B.

Last edited:
As these groups continue to be nominated and JoyDivision/New Order isn't, it is a crime. Absolutely most of the big groups from the 80's era cite them as a major influence.
When Irving Azoff, Howard Kaufman, David Geffen, Herb Alpert and a few others were successfully working to change the voting procedures, this is one of the groups they cited to people in the industry which has had an influence on so many other groups that their record sales, longevity, top hits, etc. needed to be set aside and they needed to get in solely on the basis of their influence on music. I’m actually surprised they haven’t.

When Irving Azoff, Howard Kaufman, David Geffen, Herb Alpert and a few others were successfully working to change the voting procedures, this is one of the groups they cited to people in the industry which has had an influence on so many other groups that their record sales, longevity, top hits, etc. needed to be set aside and they needed to get in solely on the basis of their influence on music. I’m actually surprised they haven’t.
Joy Division - too short of a career. That would like advocating for Sublime.

I'm ok with New Order though. They should be in. I know that they are basically one in the same, but no one is pushing for Mother Love Bone who became Pearl Jam.

I don’t really care about the HOF but it’s a travesty Toto wasn’t admitted a long time ago. Great musicians who also played/wrote for other big acts (Michael Jackson, Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, even Pink Floyd).

Joy Division - too short of a career. That would like advocating for Sublime.

I'm ok with New Order though. They should be in. I know that they are basically one in the same, but no one is pushing for Mother Love Bone who became Pearl Jam.
Mother Love Bone was never, ever comparable to Joy Division. And there was a clear separation and identity between then and Pearl Jam. But Joy Division/New Order were so connected.

Mother Love Bone was never, ever comparable to Joy Division. And there was a clear separation and identity between then and Pearl Jam. But Joy Division/New Order were so connected.
I don't really see the distinction. MLB was totally connected to Pearl Jam. So much so that the newly formed Pearl Jam and Soundgarden formed a supergroup to pay tribute to the late lead singer. And so important to the fledgling grunge scene that one of their songs was on the Singles soundtrack which basically mainstreamed grunge's connection to Generation X.

I don't really see the distinction. MLB was totally connected to Pearl Jam. So much so that the newly formed Pearl Jam and Soundgarden formed a supergroup to pay tribute to the late lead singer. And so important to the fledgling grunge scene that one of their songs was on the Singles soundtrack which basically mainstreamed grunge's connection to Generation X.
Yes....but Mother Love Bone was never cited by countless groups as one of their role models/inspiration as Joy Division was.

Yes....but Mother Love Bone was never cited by countless groups as one of their role models/inspiration as Joy Division was.

Yeah. You're reaching here. Every single grunge band pretty much cites them as an influence.

I get it, Joy Division has a cult following. But New Order took Joy Division in a different (and better IMO) direction.

Yeah. You're reaching here. Every single grunge band pretty much cites them as an influence.

I get it, Joy Division has a cult following. But New Order took Joy Division in a different (and better IMO) direction.
Yes Mother Love Bone is the most influential band of our time.

Yeah, I don't get that one among others. I would guess that now that Britney Spears first album is over 25 years old, she will be next to be nominated.

And some will be claiming that Britney is Rock and Roll when she gets nominated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT