ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Hoopie...

Same Devine guy that was a 5 star recruit and ended up as WVU’s all time leader in all purpose yards? Weird example

If he’s worthy of a 5 star rating he should absolutely end up having an NFL career. He was vastly overrated, and spent a grand total of FOUR DAYS in the NFL. 😂😂

One lucky run. I don't think that makes him anything special. If he did that every game, then maybe we can talk. He's certainly not on the level of a Shady McCoy or Curtis Martin. And not even in the same universe as Dorsett. Wasn't he spending most of his time after wvu in the CFL because he couldn't make it in the NFL?

If he’s worthy of a 5 star rating he should absolutely end up having an NFL career. He was vastly overrated, and spent a grand total of FOUR DAYS in the NFL. 😂😂
That is an arbitrary metric of your choosing. If you want to argue he wasn’t worthy of 5 star rating and all the Deion Sanders hype, that’s fine. The kid was not an NFL back. But he was still a recruit that could’ve pretty much picked his school out of HS and he rushed for over 4,000 yards at WVU. If their coaches (3 staffs before this one BTW) missed the mark on him, they were not alone and I’m sure most coaches make that “mistake” again without blinking. And anyone who says he never amounted to much, must not have watched Big East FB back then.

It was also a character issue with this kid, if I recall. Schools stayed away from him because he was trouble. That's why he went to wvu. They pretty much accept anything.

That is an arbitrary metric of your choosing. If you want to argue he wasn’t worthy of 5 star rating and all the Deion Sanders hype, that’s fine. The kid was not an NFL back. But he was still a recruit that could’ve pretty much picked his school out of HS and he rushed for over 4,000 yards at WVU. If their coaches (3 staffs before this one BTW) missed the mark on him, they were not alone and I’m sure most coaches make that “mistake” again without blinking. And anyone who says he never amounted to much, must not have watched Big East FB back then.

But he was still a recruit that could’ve pretty much picked his school out of HS... as long as they didn't mind ignoring his academic record.

I.E. WVU and a few others.

People forget, after not getting drafted he was a failure in Canada.

It was also a character issue with this kid, if I recall. Schools stayed away from him because he was trouble. That's why he went to wvu. They pretty much accept anything.
I recall that both of his parents had died of AIDS or some terrible thing. Deion Sanders, who had gone to the same HS, became his guardian or something like that. I don’t know much about his personal life other than that and his numerous children, but seems like a hell of a situation for a teenager.

Reactions: joeydavid
I recall that both of his parents had died of AIDS or some terrible thing. Deion Sanders, who had gone to the same HS, became his guardian or something like that. I don’t know much about his personal life other than that and his numerous children, but seems like a hell of a situation for a teenager.

That's unfortunate about his personal situation. But much of what happened and how it happened was personal choice on the part of someone...parents, him. Whether getting AIDS or getting girls pregnant multiple times, it was a choice. Either you're stupid and didn't know any better or you did it on purpose regardless of the consequences. That seems to be going around a lot lately, everywhere.

On a personal note, I hope he got his life together outside of football and all of the other stuff. Getting back up is the most important part of falling down.

Last edited:

bro what? His NFL career was 4 days. He was vastly overrated and never amounted to anything outside of college.

bro what? His NFL career was 4 days. He was vastly overrated and never amounted to anything outside of college.
Who cares about his pro career? Like I said, he wasn’t an NFL back. We’re talking college career, which was clearly productive (in terms of rushing yards and children). But I will accept your statement that he never amounted to anything “outside of college” as a tacit admission that he had a very nice career while at WVU.

Wrong. Win or lose that game we still needed to beat Cincy.

True, but the loss dropped us out of top 10, led to another the loss the following week against Cinci, killing the "magical" season that should have happened, and led to 13 years of mediocrity that wasn't broken until this past season. Unless 3rd place finishes in crap conferences and tire bowl championships are anyone's cup of tea.

I've posted before, the 2009 WVU loss did more damage to us than 13-9 did to WVU. WVU rebounded with three straight 9 win seasons after 13-9, which still wasn't good enough for them as they fired their coach.

WVU still #3 on my hate list, but that 2009 loss set the wheels in motion for the end of Wanny, Pederson, and much mediocre football until this past season.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUinColumbus
That's bullcrap and that's a fact. He never caused any trouble at WVU at all. Sanders kept trying to get him to go to FSU and he wanted nothing to do that. I believe he took Sanders' car to go to the airport to get away from him so he could make it to Morgantown, or something like that but he was not trouble. His parents died of aids. Whatever he did in his youth it did not carry over to his college days and he could have gone anywhere in the country. No one backed off him. He broke a lot of runs like that in his career and I'd take him again. He was a dangerous weapon to have and a good kick returner as well.

That's bullcrap and that's a fact. He never caused any trouble at WVU at all. Sanders kept trying to get him to go to FSU and he wanted nothing to do that. I believe he took Sanders' car to go to the airport to get away from him so he could make it to Morgantown, or something like that but he was not trouble. His parents died of aids. Whatever he did in his youth it did not carry over to his college days and he could have gone anywhere in the country. No one backed off him. He broke a lot of runs like that in his career and I'd take him again. He was a dangerous weapon to have and a good kick returner as well.

I hate WVU but did think Devine was a good player and fun to watch.

EDIT: fun to watch when not playing Pitt. :)

Last edited:
Who cares about his pro career? Like I said, he wasn’t an NFL back. We’re talking college career, which was clearly productive (in terms of rushing yards and children). But I will accept your statement that he never amounted to anything “outside of college” as a tacit admission that he had a very nice career while at WVU.
Pitt fans don’t care about performance at Pitt. They prefer to point to accolades long after they left Oakland and are in the league.

That’s their thing. They tell it to your face with each and every post.

I watched that early 2000s game at Mountaineer Field against Fitz (who I absolutely loved watching) with 2 old Pitt fans…one from Bobtown and the other from Little Washington. That was a great Backyard Brawl. Kinda like 13-9 was great for yinzers.

Aw come on now, you know Pitt was recruiting him… BUT! If you want to sound like a nitter, we can make a list of why he’s not going to Pitt:

1. Grades
2. Bad attitude
3. Pitt stopped recruiting him
4. Narduzzi gave him a list of things to do and he didn’t do them.

We can now add to the list:
5. Wasn’t worth the NIL deal he was wanting.

LOL the crazies on Panther Lair are no different than the crazies on BWI (or any other college football board, for that matter) when they don't get a recruit they want.

We're all pretty similar in that regard. The only difference is that you make your excuses for less talented recruits 😆

• Haha
Reactions: WVUinColumbus
True, but the loss dropped us out of top 10, led to another the loss the following week against Cinci, killing the "magical" season that should have happened, and led to 13 years of mediocrity that wasn't broken until this past season. Unless 3rd place finishes in crap conferences and tire bowl championships are anyone's cup of tea.

I've posted before, the 2009 WVU loss did more damage to us than 13-9 did to WVU. WVU rebounded with three straight 9 win seasons after 13-9, which still wasn't good enough for them as they fired their coach.

WVU still #3 on my hate list, but that 2009 loss set the wheels in motion for the end of Wanny, Pederson, and much mediocre football until this past season.
Yeah. That loss was worse than 13-9. HA!!!!

Like anyone remembers that Pitt season.

13-9 was one of the biggest choke jobs in college football history. It was truly satisfying ruining WVU’s last opportunity to ever make the championship game. Absolutely hilarious! 28.5 point underdogs beating Wvu. 😂😂😂😂
Pitt’s never had an undefeated out of conference record. That’s like 3-4 games. Typical Pitt fan/northern college football fan. Worried about others.

And every WVU fan knows that had nothing to do with some nothing team and everything to do with RR and his motives. Planted loss. Ego can be a bad thing. Ask him now.

Pitt’s never had an undefeated out of conference record. That’s like 3-4 games. Typical Pitt fan/northern college football fan. Worried about others.

And every WVU fan knows that had nothing to do with some nothing team and everything to do with RR and his motives.
Worried about others? Who's the one on our board trolling? Lmao 🤣

I agree that the 09 brawl loss was devastating in that it set off a snowball effect. Going into the game the talk was about the Cincy game, It was the ultimate trap and that bonehead Wannstedt walked right in.

I agree that the 09 brawl loss was devastating in that it set off a snowball effect. Going into the game the talk was about the Cincy game, It was the ultimate trap and that bonehead Wannstedt walked right in.

It.
Didn't.
Matter.

And every WVU fan knows that had nothing to do with some nothing team and everything to do with RR and his motives. Planted loss. Ego can be a bad thing. Ask him now.
Wvu has never won a national title and never will. You are the one that is on a Pitt message board. LOL

Exactly. His constant presence on this board is very telling. He’s worried….

Either he doesn't have a life outside of sports message boards, which is sad, or he's extremely worried that his precious 'eers are going to be curb stomped by Pitt and a lot of teams. I think it's a little bit of both.

Reactions: pittmeister

1922 was the last time wvu had an undefeated season. Pitt has had an undefeated season since then, I'm pretty sure. Your football records are mostly mediocre to poor with an occasional 9-3 or 10-2 record...rarely. Recently, your 'eers have been very mediocre and will continue that trend apparently. Your football program is mostly an afterthought outside of the state of wv and very mediocre. Deal with it.

Is Rodney Gallagher the highest rated recruit to go to WVU from Western Pa since Clarence Oliver (Rifleman) from Ampipe??

Ever been to a WVU board? The locker room looked civil compared to what I've seen on theirs.

I haven't visited a hoopie board in at least 10 years so I don't know what level of destruction they have over there and don't care. For one of them to come here smells of paranoia and a miserable life.

Reactions: pittmeister

yep, Wanny I remember making comments before WVU that Cincy was the main game; took the pro mentality of saving up for the "Championship". We see how that worked out.

Yeah. That loss was worse than 13-9. HA!!!!

Like anyone remembers that Pitt season.

ok, I guess I should have been more clear. Short term, 13-9 did more damage to WVU than 2009 did to Pitt. It knocked WVU out of the championship whereas Pitt was just knocked out of the top 10, and the chance to end up top 5 potentially by beating Cincy. So yeah the stakes were higher for WVU.

But long term, WVU bounced back pretty well after 13-9 as I said with three straight 9 win seasons. Pitt didn't bounce back so well as 13 years of mediocrity and several disastrous coaching regimes followed. Hence my statement that 2009 was worse for Pitt than 13-9 was for WVU, looking at the long term effects.

Does that make you happy now? I should have realized for a WVU grad/fan you have to spell things out pretty clearly, no room for ambiguity I guess. Thanks as always for playing along!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT