ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein said it. I agree

balboa10

Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 10, 2017
”The biggest thing about Jeff that I noticed covering him while at Oklahoma and as an assistant at Duke and now at Pitt, he has the ability to be real and the ability to connect with people,” said Rothstein. “When you’re visiting with him, when you’re talking with, him he’s not giving you something that’s fabricated. He’s being forthright, he’s being genuine and he’s allowing you to feel like you’re a part of a real conversation and you’re developing a real relationship.

“I think that’s resonating in the city of Pittsburgh where it’s a hard-working town, with real people that love their sports team. I think when you think of the chemical makeup and the marriage of Jeff Capel and Pitt, it’s a marriage that has a chance to be fruitful for a real long time.”

I agree but he needs some recruits. Mike Hopkins at U Dub just landed a Top 5 player from Rochester, NY who picked the Huskies 100% due to his relationship with Hopkins.

Reactions: freddietee511
I wish I could believe it. But my head tells me we need to enjoy this ride for the 4-5 years he's here because when Duke comes callin he gone

Reactions: freddietee511
I wish I could believe it. But my head tells me we need to enjoy this ride for the 4-5 years he's here because when Duke comes callin he gone

Jason Capel takes over rest of coaching staff stays, but u never know. He is building his own program from scratch here, that's hard to leave. He has a great situation, he can stay as long as he wants, at Duke he don't win a lot others waiting to get the call.

Reactions: jctrack
Jason Capel takes over rest of coaching staff stays, but u never know. He is building his own program from scratch here, that's hard to leave. He has a great situation, he can stay as long as he wants, at Duke he don't win a lot others waiting to get the call.
If I were him I'd stay at Pitt. Like u said he's building his own legacy here and he's already become the most beloved man in Pittsburgh already. U had a legacy as a player at Duke might as well make a new one as a coach at Pitt

Reactions: Jeffburgh
He will not be the next Duke coach. But he will be the coach at Duke eventually. No one wants to follow a legend. Let someone else follow coach K and face that heat. Then come in and take them back to greatness ala Saban.
You would think Capel is smart enough and disciplined enough to go this rout. Never follow a legend, especially in the South. But he's good enough, and young enough to walk in and and rescue a declining Duke in 10ish years, that should be the plan IMO.

Relationships. Relationships. Relationships.
The only negative probably right now against Capel is that he's been recruiting some of these 2019, '20 guys for well less than a year. It takes time, but Capel will get his share, for sure.

Reactions: CougarClaws
If Capel leaves, he will have earned it by having done well here. So be it. I hope it happens.

If I were him I'd stay at Pitt. Like u said he's building his own legacy here and he's already become the most beloved man in Pittsburgh already. U had a legacy as a player at Duke might as well make a new one as a coach at Pitt

First, turning down duke is tough. Two, wait till the fanbase turns on him if he isn’t making final fours by tear 5.

First, turning down duke is tough. Two, wait till the fanbase turns on him if he isn’t making final fours by tear 5.
Id like to think this stupid fan base won't make the same mistake again.. Looking back I'm kinda glad we hired stallings and went through these 2 miserable years to show what it could be like at the blink of an eye

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Id like to think this stupid fan base won't make the same mistake again.. Looking back I'm kinda glad we hired stallings and went through these 2 miserable years to show what it could be like at the blink of an eye

Wishful thinking, IMHO.

We got Stallings, at least in part (aside from the Barnes buddy connection), because the fan base led Barnes to believe it wanted an up-tempo exciting style of basketball more than it wanted to win regularly and make the NCAAs annually without deep runs. The reality is that winning consistently was always the more important of the two--although both were wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2P 2003
Wishful thinking, IMHO.

We got Stallings, at least in part (aside from the Barnes buddy connection), because the fan base led Barnes to believe it wanted an up-tempo exciting style of basketball more than it wanted to win regularly and make the NCAAs annually without deep runs. The reality is that winning consistently was always the more important of the two--although both were wanted.

If Barnes wanted to hire for an exciting, up tempo, exciting style of basketball the list would have had HCJC near the top and Stallings pretty much at the bottom.

Who knows, maybe he flipped his spreadsheet by accident.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
No need to worry because we know unless JC wins the NCAAs a large portion of Pitts fanbase will be calling for his head in a few yrs . Even if he becomes the winningest coach in ACC hx some won't be satisfied !

If Coach K retires and Capel is offered he will 100% accept the offer. Don't kid yourselves.

That's the #1 job in college basketball and probably top 5 in ALL of basketball - blue blood, tradition, facilities, salary, recruiting grounds, etc. Not to mention he played and coached there.

Reactions: imsteviemac
If Coach K retires and Capel is offered he will 100% accept the offer. Don't kid yourselves.

That's the #1 job in college basketball and probably top 5 in ALL of basketball - blue blood, tradition, facilities, salary, recruiting grounds, etc. Not to mention he played and coached there.
Not sure any coach would turn the job down !

Reactions: imsteviemac
No need to worry because we know unless JC wins the NCAAs a large portion of Pitts fanbase will be calling for his head in a few yrs . Even if he becomes the winningest coach in ACC hx some won't be satisfied !

Umm...do you forget some of your old posts?

If you think the pool for replacements will be former duke coaches-
You’re going to be surprised.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who realizes this. There will be guys with better resumes than any Duke connected coach, that will be interested in that job. Alabama ran their football program off of a cliff with their insistence on hiring Bear's boys. When they finally let that go, the program came back to life in a big way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT