ADVERTISEMENT

Same old Pitt fans on this board

attendance disaster, lol, leave it to a message board poster to come up with that one. The only disaster that would happen is losing those games. Win all three and no one gives a flying F how many are in the stands, except you I guess.
And Heather Lyke I would imagine.
Sorry, you're right...the place will be packed and rocking, great game day atmosphere, recruits will be falling over themselves to play in front of such energy! There will be a waiting list for season tickets!!

And Heather Lyke I would imagine.
Sorry, you're right...the place will be packed and rocking, great game day atmosphere, recruits will be falling over themselves to play in front of such energy! There will be a waiting list for season tickets!!

did I say that? Reading comprehension not your strong point.

Oh good, you learned to google freshman QBs after your previous example fell flat.

Look, I have no idea what the QB situation at each of those above schools was nor do I care. But each of those QBs you note was a top 5 QB recruit, either pro style or dual threat.

All that said, did you even bother to read what I wrote in the first post ? Here, i will help you:

Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

So if Whipple sees him in action in the first 3 or 4 games and determines he is a lost cause, then yes, move on. But you don't do that in game 1
And what I’m saying is as much as Pickett sucked last year you don’t go into camp married to him like HCPN did this year. Do you really think there was an open competition for his spot. I’m just trying to prove the point that other schools are winning with freshmen qb’s so why cant we. I hardly feel my first post was of as Bo Nix beat the 11th ranked team in the country no matter what his stats looked like as a true freshmen and Pickett put up worse stats st the beginning of his second year. If you watched that game you saw how much the kid grew up in one half of football. Clearly more than Pickett did this last year

Being fatalistic after one game.

Fire the coach.

Start the freshman QB

Blah, blah, blah

Nice to see most Pitt fans on this board remain the same overreacting to everything after one game

Here is what I think:

1. It is one game. The season opener with a new OC, new OL against a good Virginia team with a top QB picked as the favorite to win the Division. We were the underdogs. We lost

2. Defensively the team played quite well. Losing Camp for the second half was a blow as he was disruptive. But still Virginia's TD drives were 19, 27 and 29 yards long thanks to a blocked punt, interception and turnover on downs in garbage time. Pitt held Virginia to 9 total points on 9 series starting in UVA territory. That is good defensive football.

3, The offensive play calling was much better than last year. MUCH. Lots of variety. And we had receivers open. We just did not execute. Pickett missed throws. Receivers dropped balls. The OL struggled at times picking up blitzes from the 3-4 alignment Virginia was in. It is a new OL, you expect there would be some growing pains. Receivers dropping balls were a disappointment. As was Pickett. All that said, Pitt gained only 47 less yards than Virginia. It is one game

4. Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

5. Narduzzi and the coaching staff - probably another unpopular opinion here among the over reactionary group but this is a solid staff that has improved each year and are building the program. I am sure it is slower than some of you like, but it takes time. There is no one out there that you can realistically replace them with who will do better.

6. In today's environment, you have a very small group of elite teams then you have a group of 10-15 consistently very good teams and then you have the group Pitt is in. The group that is likely to finish with 6-8 wins and on occasion have a 9 or 10 win season. With Pitt's ridiculous out of conference schedule strength, they aren't hitting that 9 or 10 win plateau like the schools that schedule cupcakes.

Alas, I expect that the people who post here who have unrealistic expectations and don't understand what it takes to build a solid program will be losing there mind this first month as unfortunately the schedule has dealt the team a bad hand. Having to play 3 of the toughest opponents on the schedule in the first 4 weeks is not a recipe for success. But that is the hand the team is dealt so people need to exhibit some patience (which I know is unlikely to happen)
I agree that many of us overreact to a single game. And yet here was another opportunity to stir a little bit of excitement and we failed again. The table was set...home opener, night game, new uniforms, rib cook-off, perfect weather...and Pitt fails to show up.

And what I’m saying is as much as Pickett sucked last year you don’t go into camp married to him like HCPN did this year. Do you really think there was an open competition for his spot. I’m just trying to prove the point that other schools are winning with freshmen qb’s so why cant we. I hardly feel my first post was of as Bo Nix beat the 11th ranked team in the country no matter what his stats looked like as a true freshmen and Pickett put up worse stats st the beginning of his second year. If you watched that game you saw how much the kid grew up in one half of football. Clearly more than Pickett did this last year

Really? You were there at camp to see every practice? You don't think Whipple as the new OC with no history or allegiance to any Qb on the roster would have said Patti or Beville has outplayed Pickett if it actually happened?

Are you saying Whipple as the new OC is not going to give the team the best chance to win by playing the guy who performed best in camp?

You can't just wish something to happen

Being fatalistic after one game.

Fire the coach.

Start the freshman QB

Blah, blah, blah

Nice to see most Pitt fans on this board remain the same overreacting to everything after one game

Here is what I think:

1. It is one game. The season opener with a new OC, new OL against a good Virginia team with a top QB picked as the favorite to win the Division. We were the underdogs. We lost

2. Defensively the team played quite well. Losing Camp for the second half was a blow as he was disruptive. But still Virginia's TD drives were 19, 27 and 29 yards long thanks to a blocked punt, interception and turnover on downs in garbage time. Pitt held Virginia to 9 total points on 9 series starting in UVA territory. That is good defensive football.

3, The offensive play calling was much better than last year. MUCH. Lots of variety. And we had receivers open. We just did not execute. Pickett missed throws. Receivers dropped balls. The OL struggled at times picking up blitzes from the 3-4 alignment Virginia was in. It is a new OL, you expect there would be some growing pains. Receivers dropping balls were a disappointment. As was Pickett. All that said, Pitt gained only 47 less yards than Virginia. It is one game

4. Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

5. Narduzzi and the coaching staff - probably another unpopular opinion here among the over reactionary group but this is a solid staff that has improved each year and are building the program. I am sure it is slower than some of you like, but it takes time. There is no one out there that you can realistically replace them with who will do better.

6. In today's environment, you have a very small group of elite teams then you have a group of 10-15 consistently very good teams and then you have the group Pitt is in. The group that is likely to finish with 6-8 wins and on occasion have a 9 or 10 win season. With Pitt's ridiculous out of conference schedule strength, they aren't hitting that 9 or 10 win plateau like the schools that schedule cupcakes.

Alas, I expect that the people who post here who have unrealistic expectations and don't understand what it takes to build a solid program will be losing there mind this first month as unfortunately the schedule has dealt the team a bad hand. Having to play 3 of the toughest opponents on the schedule in the first 4 weeks is not a recipe for success. But that is the hand the team is dealt so people need to exhibit some patience (which I know is unlikely to happen)
Good post. Spot on. The sky isn’t falling.

Reactions: superstein61a
I love the "Pickett needed a chance to develop after playing under Watson."

Watson is a *good* QB coach. Not a good OC, but came to Pitt as a good reputation for developing QBs. The fact that Pickett individually looked so bad last year, should have been a red flag.

Reactions: bignorthu2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT