ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders and Wade

Sanders seems like a good young kid. Whatever he wanted to do is in the past and he's not here so so be it. Wade though, lets just say I don't feel the same way about him.

I have a very close friend from New Kensington who is now a defensive analyst at Notre Dame. He made no bones about it, Sanders mother was obsessed with Franklin and Terry Smith and felt a connection to them because they are black.

That was my sense, too.

You win some, you lose some in recruiting.

The personality stuff - they are all cocky, or arrogant or whatever in some ways. You have to be to get where they are.

Also, people get myopic and don't get Nards' approach. He has been around long enough to know he will lose a few battles for kids they really wanted every cycle. He REALLY does not sweat it, he and the staff just keep grinding, putting in the time to analyze prospects, keeping the foot in the door for kids. He plays a LONG game.

As for the WPIAL, he is not getting killed, it is like it pretty much always has been. Some years they clean up in the WPIAL, some years they lose some top kids, some years they get a few, lose a few.

The difference is that they have expanded the recruiting map farther than it has been since Gottfried.

Reactions: gary2 and KanePA
Ridiculous words. But surely you feel better about standing up to those nasty Pitt fans. Makes you the bold, "stand-up" Pitt fan.

In reality, you type nonsense.

I've long pushed back against Pitt fans who want to use what happened at PSU as a tool for their rivalry. It's taking advantage of the assault of children and I find it in poor taste.

I've long pushed back against Pitt fans who want to use what happened at PSU as a tool for their rivalry. It's taking advantage of the assault of children and I find it in poor taste.

So, you want us to never mention it? It stains the Paterno legacy and the coverup by Paterno occurred to protect the football program! Ohio State fans, Michigan fans, Pitt fans are well within their right to point out the rape of kids.

This won't be the case, but for as much as they've all been discussed, wouldn't it be something if all of these WPIAL guys (Sanders, Wade, Hamlin, Ford) just didn't pan out?

That was my sense, too.

You win some, you lose some in recruiting.

The personality stuff - they are all cocky, or arrogant or whatever in some ways. You have to be to get where they are.

Also, people get myopic and don't get Nards' approach. He has been around long enough to know he will lose a few battles for kids they really wanted every cycle. He REALLY does not sweat it, he and the staff just keep grinding, putting in the time to analyze prospects, keeping the foot in the door for kids. He plays a LONG game.

As for the WPIAL, he is not getting killed, it is like it pretty much always has been. Some years they clean up in the WPIAL, some years they lose some top kids, some years they get a few, lose a few.

The difference is that they have expanded the recruiting map farther than it has been since Gottfried.

Not by Franklin he's not. Kelly/ND is eating our lunch in the WPIAL and greater western PA. Jeez...Adams, Hainsey, Hinish, Lugg, Jurkovec, Bauer.

You're right. It is not the victims that Pitt fans continue to weep for, let's be honest. It is the fact that PSU got away with it and during this whole time, we are exactly the same, middling football program now as we were before all of this came out. PSU has moved on and improved, significantly. If anything, it got the Paterno's out of the way for them.

You're right. It is not the victims that Pitt fans continue to weep for, let's be honest. It is the fact that PSU got away with it and during this whole time, we are exactly the same, middling football program now as we were before all of this came out. PSU has moved on and improved, significantly. If anything, it got the Paterno's out of the way for them.
yep, they literally benefitted from it, in the long run. sickening to say it but it's true. paterno dying was extremely fortunate for them too, a lot of info/secrets got buried with him

How did they "get away with it"?

The Perp's incarcerated for a life sentence.
The other 3 are in convicted and/or in jail.
They're out $60M.
Their reputation as well as Paterno's is in shambles...and will be for the next 100 years.

If you like Franklin more than Narduzzi, I have to question your judge of character and ability to think independently. Franklin just wreaks of shadiness. Yes, Narduzzi is a bit cocky and can be stubborn at times, but I'm sure he's a straight shooter. Franklin changes stories like the wind.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I get the pushback against the sore loser thing, but I was lukewarm on him long before he committed from watching his video. He has good, but not elite football speed. He is not Q fast, maybe he would be faster in a 40, IDK, but on the field he does not have that thing Q and FWP had where he went from 1st to 5th gear in a heart beat. And, he is straight line, he does not have a lot of wiggle.

NOW, I would rather Pitt got him, not doubt. But, he was over rated.

Same to an extent with Wade. Good, maybe pretty good, but not seeing elite.

I agree with this assessment. Wade will be a solid player, hes tough and aggressive, but I don't think he will be a star.

Sanders is fumbling at a rate that its becoming Rick Ankiel like where it might prevent him from ever being an effective college player. He's still young though and has time to figure it out.

Reactions: StefenD001

They're out $60M.
Their reputation as well as Paterno's is in shambles...and will be for the next 100 years.

They got a wrist slap of missing 2 minor bowl games and losing a couple scholarships and they benefitted from having to go outside the PSU family to hire a good coach in O'Brien and a great salesman in Franklin.

They're out $60M.

Oh yeah?
1) The won the Big 10 title last year and went to the Rose Bowl
2) What are they ranked this year? 5th? 6th?
3) They got the top recruiting class in the country.

If that is "shambles" well sign me up. It has not affected them one bit.

They got a wrist slap of missing 2 minor bowl games and losing a couple scholarships and they benefitted from having to go outside the PSU family to hire a good coach in O'Brien and a great salesman in Franklin.

So, you simply want them pulverized into dust when in the end there was no LOIC? To me it wasn't a coverup but gross incompetence and negligence.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the hatred but turning their program into a D3 program is a bit visceral for me...especially when it wouldn't benefit Pitt. All it would do is turn the state's top talent over to ND, OSU & Michigan. It would also help Rutgers and Maryland where PSU really dominates recruiting.

They're out $60M.
Because it improved their football program and that is all they really care about. Most people nationally still give Paterno a pass, anyway. It is sad, but true.

Reactions: pbrad
It's bringing to light hypocrisy and being disgusted by the utter definition of lack of institutional control. Such lack of control that led to football being so important that child rape would not be allowed to risk it to n the slightest.

The same hypocrisy that JoePa and the cult used to beat Pitt over the head with for the last 40 years.

It hasn't hurt their football program and there is essentially no affect on their general enrollment or applications, so...

Penn State was too big to fail. The media stooges here in Pittsburgh did their best to mitigate the damages. did you see even one investigative piece about it? Mike Mauti & Sackenberg were made out to be heros. And PSU even said F'you to the NCAA by placing the 2012 team on their ring of honor at the stadium.

And sanctions that still allow you to be on TV every week?

Once again, too big to fail. But if that was Kansas State, it would have been a different story.

But I have to admit, Franklin has done a good job. I still think he isn't that great of a coach, but he knows how to sell, recruit & talk. Plus it seems like he is letting his coordinators do a lot of the heavy lifting. So the players just feed off his enthusiasm on game days and he has good coordinators who coach them well.

That model could have worked here with Wanny, but he was still too hands on, and when they did feed off his emotion it wasn't a good thing, witness UCONN in 2010 when he was wound up tighter than a drum.

I guess the thing that bugs me most is that you would think PSU who has no experience in hiring coaches would struggle there where as we have lots of experience with it and have problems. go figure.

So, if you had a wish list of things to come true what would they be?
lolwat?

Unless I got a crap ton of wishes, none of them would involve Pitt or PSU football.

You can be as naïve as you want, but the tragedy that was that event has barely been a blip on their radar. Their football program is better than it was and the University wasn't essentially hurt at all in terms of the student body. The damaging effects of an awful scandal covering up child rape for 40 years barely hurt Penn State, at all. In getting rid of Paterno, especially putting him 6 feet under, it helped their football program. It is tragic, but it is true.

Say it a million times and it still won't be true. Paterno didn't cover up anything. You are blinded by your hatred.

True, it is a matter of semantics. Paterno didn't cover anything up. He just did the absolute bare minimum to stop it, plus it is pretty obvious now as more reports came in after the fact that Paterno did perjur himself by saying he knew nothing of it before 2001. So he knew what was going on a lot earlier than he testified to and he did the bare minimum to stop it. Not exactly statue worthy, but anymore who is statue worthy?

Moe, Larry & Curley were the ones more active in not having outside law involvement and settling things internally. That I think can qualify as a type of cover-up.

Reactions: pittmeister

So, you simply want them pulverized into dust when in the end there was no LOIC? To me it wasn't a coverup but gross incompetence and negligence.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the hatred but turning their program into a D3 program is a bit visceral for me...especially when it wouldn't benefit Pitt. All it would do is turn the state's top talent over to ND, OSU & Michigan. It would also help Rutgers and Maryland where PSU really dominates recruiting.

Yes, there was a conspiracy to cover-up child rape for the sole purpose of protecting the reputation of the football program. If that isnt Lack of Institional Control, then nothing is. They SHOULD have received the death penalty. If not, at least a 4 year TV ban.

Yes, there was a conspiracy to cover-up child rape for the sole purpose of protecting the reputation of the football program. If that isnt Lack of Institional Control, then nothing is. They SHOULD have received the death penalty. If not, at least a 4 year TV ban.

Read SMC's post above. It wasn't a coverup or he would have been charged before he kicked the bucket. Paterno did the absolute minimum. A guy who passed himself off as holier-than-thou and the moral compass of CFB can't do the absolute minimum and expect not to get hammered when kids are harmed. PSP Commissioner Noonan at the time said as much. Paterno did a dump and run on Curley who (along with his 2 buddies) then handled it about as incompetently as is humanly possible...to the point of being criminally liable.

Oh yeah?
1) The won the Big 10 title last year and went to the Rose Bowl
2) What are they ranked this year? 5th? 6th?
3) They got the top recruiting class in the country.

If that is "shambles" well sign me up. It has not affected them one bit.

Here is the point that people miss...

The reason why it didn't affect them is because right or wrong, they fought hard to make sure it didn't.

When the scandal went down, the whole PSU family rallied around the school and its legacy. From the media, not covering the story, from the alumni intimidating people seeking the truth, to message board moderators who will not tolerate the truth to be spoken, to comment sections of national articles spreading disinformation and lies.

This is why I can't stand nitters walking into Pitt message boards tracking mud all over the place and spreading their gospel.

We do the complete opposite of what they do and wonder why kids choose PSU instead of Pitt...

Here is the point that people miss...

The reason why it didn't affect them is because right or wrong, they fought hard to make sure it didn't.

When the scandal went down, the whole PSU family rallied around the school and its legacy. From the media, not covering the story, from the alumni intimidating people seeking the truth, to message board moderators who will not tolerate the truth to be spoken, to comment sections of national articles spreading disinformation and lies.

This is why I can't stand nitters walking into Pitt message boards tracking mud all over the place and spreading their gospel.

We do the complete opposite of what they do and wonder why kids choose PSU instead of Pitt...
Agreed - this is exact reason why the NCAA should have given them the Death Penalty. Taking away their drug (Football) is the only way to make a point.

Reactions: pittmeister
Read SMC's post above. It wasn't a coverup or he would have been charged before he kicked the bucket. Paterno did the absolute minimum. A guy who passed himself off as holier-than-thou and the moral compass of CFB can't do the absolute minimum and expect not to get hammered when kids are harmed. PSP Commissioner Noonan at the time said as much. Paterno did a dump and run on Curley who (along with his 2 buddies) then handled it about as incompetently as is humanly possible...to the point of being criminally liable.
No he didn't. He knew for years and most definitely made the decision to let it continue and not ruin the PSU folklore he built. He was pathetic and he is burning in hell. He wasn't charged because they hadn't gotten that far before he died and the prosecutors didn't want to submarine their Sandusky case by alienating the delusional Paterno faithful.

No he didn't. He knew for years and most definitely made the decision to let it continue and not ruin the PSU folklore he built. He was pathetic and he is burning in hell. He wasn't charged because they hadn't gotten that far before he died and the prosecutors didn't want to submarine their Sandusky case by alienating the delusional Paterno faithful.

LOL...Whatever you say. H2P...

True, it is a matter of semantics. Paterno didn't cover anything up. He just did the absolute bare minimum to stop it, plus it is pretty obvious now as more reports came in after the fact that Paterno did perjur himself by saying he knew nothing of it before 2001. So he knew what was going on a lot earlier than he testified to and he did the bare minimum to stop it. Not exactly statue worthy, but anymore who is statue worthy?

Moe, Larry & Curley were the ones more active in not having outside law involvement and settling things internally. That I think can qualify as a type of cover-up.
He most definitely did. HE called the shots for 40+ years. Paterno wasn't answering to those guys on anything and especially not a scandal, which would blow up his legacy, and he had known about for years.

You CANNOT say Paterno knew before 2001 and that he did "the minimum" in 2001 and wasn't part of a cover up. It is one or the other with knowing pre-2001 or "doing the minimum" in 2001.

The school's reputation...
Sold out stadiums, top recruiting classes{high school kids and their parents don't care} alumni wearing apparel everywhere you go, TV commentators never mentioning what happened, yup it really hurt their reputation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT