ADVERTISEMENT

Santoro

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
saw Pat at breakfast this am in Bethlehem. He was hosting a few wrestlers and their families and came over to me and my daughters to say hello. I told him that I was hoping he'd end up back at Pitt and he said he was definitely interested, but it just didn't work out. I told him that I had heard that Pitt didn't make the commitment that he was looking for and he said that they have now.

Reactions: gary2
It sucks they didn't when he was available/interested, it is good that Pitt is now committed. I have to admit I am very intrigued by KG. I do expect Pitt to be a team on the rise big time.

It sucks they didn't when he was available/interested, it is good that Pitt is now committed. I have to admit I am very intrigued by KG. I do expect Pitt to be a team on the rise big time.

That's not exactly how it went down, but at this point it's water under the bridge. We're going to be good in wrestling going forward.

Reactions: cabe23
That's not exactly how it went down, but at this point it's water under the bridge. We're going to be good in wrestling going forward.

I am not an insider and never claimed to be. Just going by the information given to us by the OP, and what I project the future to be based off that information.

The "total" commitment to wrestling. Training center, funding, high level coaches, etc,....
Why do you think they didn't make that commitment to Santoro, someone with many years of successful head coaching experience, but they did to Gavin, who has never been a head coach?

Because that’s not really what happened. That said, we’re on the right track in Wrestling.

The only perspective that mattered on that was Pat's. He didn't feel that Pitt could show him anything concrete. Nor did the new AD seem to know what was going on. Pitt screwed up, but the timing of the AD hire certainly didn't help.

Hopefully Gavin will make everyone forget all about that.

Reactions: jctrack and Mikefln
The only perspective that mattered on that was Pat's. He didn't feel that Pitt could show him anything concrete. Nor did the new AD seem to know what was going on. Pitt screwed up, but the timing of the AD hire certainly didn't help.

Hopefully Gavin will make everyone forget all about that.
This what I have trouble with. Nothing against anyone here the one poster is trying to move on water under the bridge and which is the right move but the other poster has to prove his point and most of the time people have only part of the story and think that if I have this then that has to be true also. Gavin is the coach and let's go. Don't need to run down the AD and I am trying to give you some room on this. H2P

This what I have trouble with. Nothing against anyone here the one poster is trying to move on water under the bridge and which is the right move but the other poster has to prove his point and most of the time people have only part of the story and think that if I have this then that has to be true also. Gavin is the coach and let's go. Don't need to run down the AD and I am trying to give you some room on this. H2P

Sure, I agree, but when something isn't successful, and make no mistake what happened was an unsuccessful recruitment of a highly regarded coach that was open to the position, there are lessons to be learned. Hopefully people examined and learned from this experience. This won't be this AD's last hc hire, and any examination of what happened certainly isn't necessarily about the wrestling program. It also isn't about any one person.

All indications are great moving forward for Pitt wrestling. It is also great to hear Pat's recent assessment of the program, and that is a very good endorsement to have.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT