ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
This year is turning into a complete meltdown, but imagine if we played Toledo and Rugters instead of PSU and UCF we would probably be 4-1 and people would be planning their bowl game parties already. Like I have said in the past "a tough schedule is no win situation for Pitt". We are not a national blue blood power who can loose 2 games and go to a national championship; so just stack wins and bowl games like Wisconsin. I promise you our coaching talent (easier to recruit coaches to winning programs), player talent (easier to sell winning look at UCF), fan base happiness would be a lot better if we beat up on bottom feeders then trying to play underdog every week. This team isn't as horrible as we are making them out to be, but we have a young QB and average talent don't put them up against a Juggernauts each week it just kills confidence and development. Play a bad schedule for 5-8 year period, keep a coaching staff, and everything will fall into play because of winning.

This year is turning into a complete meltdown, but imagine if we played Toledo and Rugters instead of PSU and UCF we would probably be 4-1 and people would be planning their bowl game parties already. Like I have said in the past "a tough schedule is no win situation for Pitt". We are not a national blue blood power who can loose 2 games and go to a national championship; so just stack wins and bowl games like Wisconsin. I promise you our coaching talent (easier to recruit coaches to winning programs), player talent (easier to sell winning look at UCF), fan base happiness would be a lot better if we beat up on bottom feeders then trying to play underdog every week. This team isn't as horrible as we are making them out to be, but we have a young QB and average talent don't put them up against a Juggernauts each week it just kills confidence and development. Play a bad schedule for 5-8 year period, keep a coaching staff, and everything will fall into play because of winning.
I agree with you. Pitt will end up playing 3, Top 10 teams this year. 2 of them on the road. This is a ridiculous level of scheduling for where this program is.

Reactions: Dan1911
Little better with only 3 locked down losses.
This is why I’m thinking Narduzzi stays until 2019. 1) You save some money and 2) you get Miami/Richmond/Marshall instead of UCF/PSU. Allows the new coach to build some momentum in his first year.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
I agree, likely “forced” assistant changes via Heather this winter. And if it doesnt show major progress (visual more than record due to the schedule) who staff gone after 19 season

Reactions: DiehardPanther
UCF wasn't exactly a powerhouse when Pitt scheduled a home and home with them.

Replace PSU and UCF with Rutgers and Bowling Green and maybe it's 8-4 or 9-3

Except when these games were scheduled Bowling Green and UCF were pretty much identical programs.

How do you know which one is going to be good and which one will suck when you finally play them years later?

Reactions: DiehardPanther

-Pitt football scheduling is like that one salmon swimming in the opposite direction from all the other fish swimming upstream. Then the salmon gets eaten by a wondering hopeless starving animal because that 1 salmon was a jackass that didnt do what everyone else did . Pitt is the only team in the country trying to schedule multiple playoff teams per year in the non conference.

Except when these games were scheduled Bowling Green and UCF were pretty much identical programs.

How do you know which one is going to be good and which one will suck when you finally play them years later?

-Pitt gets it wrong. ALWAYS. Notice Wisconsin never gets it wrong. Or anyone else. But Pitt does. Central Florida has won 10+ games in 5 different seasons since 2007. Thats every other year this team wins 10+ games. You play with fire, you get burned and Central Florida blew our doors off. That is a solid 10 year history where this program has won big. 10 years worth of evidence.

-Here's a thought. Rutgers is garbage, always was garbage, and is guaranteed garbage for the next 10 years. Pretty hard to screw it up, put them on the schedule.

Reactions: cpc247
Hard to do with the ups and downs in college football. 2015 UCF was winless. Toledo has 11 wins last year. Difficult to predict where the two teams will be when the game is actually played. Unless they are Rutgers or Kansas.
That's exactly the problem. Even a team like Rutgers might be good in 5 years. OK, bad example. They will never be good, but other teams that are bad now may turn it around.

That's exactly the problem. Even a team like Rutgers might be good in 5 years. OK, bad example. They will never be good, but other teams that are bad now may turn it around.

-I guarantee I could give you a list of 20 teams that are going to be crap for the next 10 years. You guys act like this is tough

-Savannah State was outscored 130-0 in its first 2 games this year. Narduzzi's and Pitts pathetic Vanilla offense would have the game over by halftime, guaranteed.

Stay away from scheduling Florida teams. At any given time they can get home grown talent and that equals bad for Pitt.

The 2021 schedule so far has only @Tennessee for the nonconference. Another opportunity to get three wins for sure. It gets tougher again in 2022 with Tennessee and WVU. We’ll see if Heather has any brains when it comes to scheduling in ‘21.

I agree we need to lighten the schedule, but there are no automatic wins for us. Just think back over the last 15 years.

Agree and have been saying that for years. Syracuse has changed their philosophy and it has been paying dividends already.Until recruiting improves scheduling and getting embarrassed by good teams makes no sense .

Rutgers became garbage when they stopped playing us. Maybe its time to wonder if all these teams becoming better when they play us isn't really bad luck at all.

Rutgers became garbage when they stopped playing us. Maybe its time to wonder if all these teams becoming better when they play us isn't really bad luck at all.
True. Think of all the teams in Ohio alone that may count victories over us as among their biggest ever...Akron, Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo and Youngstown. And as a bonus I believe Ohio State's 72-0 win was their biggest margin of win ever.

Louisville and UConn also used us as a rung as they climbed the ladder after entering the ACC and WVU and BC did the same to us in the 80's. We haven't just watched all these teams acheive success from afar. We've been active participants in their success.

True. Think of all the teams in Ohio alone that may count victories over us as among their biggest ever...Akron, Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo and Youngstown. And as a bonus I believe Ohio State's 72-0 win was their biggest margin of win ever.

They beat someone 76-0 a few years ago with Meyer as the HC.

We suck. Why do you want to schedule garbage teams to cover it up? Eat your shit sandwich that is Pitt football and move on. I don’t want any masking of this crap.

We suck. Why do you want to schedule garbage teams to cover it up? Eat your shit sandwich that is Pitt football and move on. I don’t want any masking of this crap.
Will anyone really remember who Pitt beat in the OOC if we end up at 9-3, 10-2, etc. All anyone will remember is that Pitt went 10-2 and Pitt was ranked in the Top 15. No one will remember or care if we went 3-1 in the OOC with wins over Delaware, Rice, and Kent State.

Will anyone really remember who Pitt beat in the OOC if we end up at 9-3, 10-2, etc. All anyone will remember is that Pitt went 10-2 and Pitt was ranked in the Top 15. No one will remember or care if we went 3-1 in the OOC with wins over Delaware, Rice, and Kent State.

I want a team that’s challenged. I want a team that’s worth watching. I must be different. I always believed in playing your kids up a league and never taking the easy road. I watch for more than wins/losses.

I hope Pitt never takes the route of scheduling soft to pad records. Just my opinion. I can find other things to do with my saturdays i guess.

I want a team that’s challenged. I want a team that’s worth watching. I must be different. I always believed in playing your kids up a league and never taking the easy road. I watch for more than wins/losses.

I hope Pitt never takes the route of scheduling soft to pad records. Just my opinion. I can find other things to do with my saturdays i guess.

Starting off 4-0 or 5-0 builds excitement even if we didn't beat anyone

It's been a bit of murderer's row. That's not bad if we compete in those games. The problem has been the blowouts and losses to teams we should be able to beat. That's what holds the program back. For every big win there's two bad losses to cancel it out. We could lose to a top 10 by 3 and handle our business against the rest and I'd be happy. We'd be a top 25 or borderline team. That would be nice.

Reactions: PhPanther2
It's been a bit of murderer's row. That's not bad if we compete in those games. The problem has been the blowouts and losses to teams we should be able to beat. That's what holds the program back. For every big win there's two bad losses to cancel it out. We could lose to a top 10 by 3 and handle our business against the rest and I'd be happy. We'd be a top 25 or borderline team. That would be nice.
Bad losses are SOPwith Pitt.....but thought Pitt was past the blowouts.
Last yr v OkSU, the one blowout was it and most of the yr was pretty much typical Pitt.....this yr regrettably the big time ass kickings have happened twice already and looks as if Pitt is in for several more.

Not good.

Just to add to my OP. Having easy games work as practice for your 1st team (sometimes) also with the new redshirt rule it allows a lot of happy recruits.

Reactions: Dan1911
The schedule is not, nor has it ever been, the problem

Do you really think playing Psu and Ucf is why Pitt lost to North Carolina?

The problem is meathead fans that want us to schedule murderers row and then tell us all the losses aren’t from having a tough schedule. I’m guessing these guys didnt take advantage of Pitts great philosopy department.

I bet you thought the Children’s Crusade was awesome.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT