ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling....

Scheduling is a problem but you have to put some P5 talent on the field as well. You're not going to beat a ton of O5 teams if you're challenging them for recruits.

And how do you get talent??? Winning. Kids want to be a part of a successful program. Winning breeds wining.

UCF is not a Top 10 team. Not even close. Top 20 yes, but nowhere near top 10.

Yet they somehow beat the Auburn who was ranked #7. They are easily playing like a top 10 team. Not sure why anyone would doubt them at this point.

Start looking to schedule GUARANTEED WINS, It truly is better for everyone, including fans, "seeing" top teams in games like yesterday is LESS FUN, than pounding Albany. And with easier OOC teams we could be 4-1 right now, and the perception would be that we are better than we are.
The thing is, with scheduling weak teams EVEN WE- THE PITT FANS - would think we where better than we are, and would be enjoying the season more. we wouldn't be complaining, "damn I'm tired of beating Rutgers, I wish we would lose a few to PSU and UCF!" LOL

Reactions: clarks4life
Except when these games were scheduled Bowling Green and UCF were pretty much identical programs.

How do you know which one is going to be good and which one will suck when you finally play them years later?
That's funny, even in scheduling we screw up!

Stick with programs that are always bad.

We suck. Why do you want to schedule garbage teams to cover it up? Eat your shit sandwich that is Pitt football and move on. I don’t want any masking of this crap.
WHY NOT? It would be more fun. I'd rather fake my knowledge and ability and get a promotion or raise I didn't deserve. I've done that before and it worked out fine. I GOT MINE!

Yet they somehow beat the Auburn who was ranked #7. They are easily playing like a top 10 team. Not sure why anyone would doubt them at this point.

Beating Auburn doesn't prove anything. As a Pitt fan, surely you realize that really average teams beat ranked opponents sometimes.

UCF's problem is that they play a crummy schedule and have the luxury to "get up" for games against P5 teams.

The problem is meathead fans that want us to schedule murderers row and then tell us all the losses aren’t from having a tough schedule. I’m guessing these guys didnt take advantage of Pitts great philosopy department.
Would you really feel better if Pitt played Akron and Bowling Green (instead of Psu and Ucf) and was 4-1 with that loss to a hideous North Carolina team?

Pitt didn’t have a bad season last year because they played and lost to Oklahoma State. They had a bad season because they stunk and lost to Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and North Carolina- three teams that didn’t go to bowls. That was the problem

Frankly, I really could care less what the schedule is. But blaming Pitts failures on it is just another Pantherlair boogeyman

I want a team that’s challenged. I want a team that’s worth watching. I must be different. I always believed in playing your kids up a league and never taking the easy road. I watch for more than wins/losses.

I hope Pitt never takes the route of scheduling soft to pad records. Just my opinion. I can find other things to do with my saturdays i guess.

Saturdays? So you enjoyed watching UCF and PSU more than Albany? Getting pounded is more fun? LOL! I wouldn't play my kids up a level unless they where freak superstars. I'd rather my kid dominate a lower level than "play up" and ride the bench. My daughter actually played up, because here birthday was August 17, she was among the youngest in her grade, I wish she was born September 1st, so she would have had an extra year at the lower level, so to speak, more time to develop, and an extra year where your more advanced. In the long run 99% of kids aren't going pro, so having fun is as important as anything else.

Reactions: Dan1911
Would you really feel better if Pitt played Akron and Bowling Green (instead of Psu and Ucf) and was 4-1 with that loss to a hideous North Carolina team?

Pitt didn’t have a bad season last year because they played and lost to Oklahoma State. They had a bad season because they stunk and lost to Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and North Carolina- three teams that didn’t go to bowls. That was the problem

Frankly, I really could care less what the schedule is. But blaming Pitts failures on it is just another Pantherlair boogeyman
I certainly would, 4-1 looks better and feels better, and showing up to see them beat Akron 35-28 would be more fun than sitting in the rain losing to Penn State 51-6. YES, IT'S ABSOLUTELY BETTER.

I certainly would, 4-1 looks better and feels better, and showing up to see them beat Akron 35-28 would be more fun than sitting in the rain losing to Penn State 51-6. YES, IT'S ABSOLUTELY BETTER.
Ha
Trust me. You wouldn’t. At least not after Syracuse (!) bursts your bubble

Btw, it’s not a coincidence that I listed bowling Green and Akron

If you would rather line up a tough schedule and get throttled then you are clearly not watching the rest of college football. The benefits of a terrible schedule are out of this world compared to that of a tough schedule. 4-1 unc people still happy. Play 2 crappy teams and win by 24 everyone plays (pretty happy). Less injuries because your getting pounded vs. playing tons of guys (pretty good for the ACC schedule). O wait how about fine tuning your offense and defense before ACC play (must be nice). Recruits seeing a 4-1 team on their visits verus a 2-3 team (I think I'd like to go here?) Coaches need more money for assistants .......Donors......(2-3 ...i'll keep my money.........4-1...hey I might be able to help get to 5-0). Sports are not rocket science. If they were we wouldn't be out recruiting SOME kids who can't pass their SAT or get into college.

H2P

Ha
Trust me. You wouldn’t. At least not after Syracuse (!) bursts your bubble

Btw, it’s not a coincidence that I listed bowling Green and Akron
Saying IF they actually won the game, that's more enjoyable. I don't go to see the opponent. If Pitt had Bama coming into Heinz Field, no way in hell would I want to see that! I know the FUN LEVEL would be zero, so why show up? If it's Alabama State, at least you might see a competitive game.

Reactions: Dan1911 and cpc247

It goes both ways.

Say we actually put together a good to really good team. But have 2 to 3 Top 15 OOC on the schedule. We could end up with 4 to 5 losses, even with a really good team. Hell, we could end up winning the Coastal and still not actually in the playoff hunt because of the OOC schedule.

You're right that an easy OOC schedule isn't going to give you a really good season. As you said, what difference does it make if we're losing to UNC and Syracuse?
But a really tough OOC schedule can rob you of a really good season.

In the end we need to get good. But we need to put ourselves in a position to have a good season if/when we eventually get good.

Reactions: cpc247 and Pitt79
Saying IF they actually won the game, that's more enjoyable. I don't go to see the opponent. If Pitt had Bama coming into Heinz Field, no way in hell would I want to see that! I know the FUN LEVEL would be zero, so why show up? If it's Alabama State, at least you might see a competitive game.
I don’t disagree. Though any good feelings go away after a bad loss, which is inevitable if the team is bad

I just don’t think it’s the point of the conversation
Which is, the schedule isn’t, nor has it ever been ,part of Pitts problems

Saturdays? So you enjoyed watching UCF and PSU more than Albany? Getting pounded is more fun? LOL! I wouldn't play my kids up a level unless they where freak superstars. I'd rather my kid dominate a lower level than "play up" and ride the bench. My daughter actually played up, because here birthday was August 17, she was among the youngest in her grade, I wish she was born September 1st, so she would have had an extra year at the lower level, so to speak, more time to develop, and an extra year where your more advanced. In the long run 99% of kids aren't going pro, so having fun is as important as anything else.

I didn’t even turn on the TV for albany.
I watched PSU till the end.
I watched as much of the UCF game as I could from vacation. Ya, on vacation I made an effort to watch Pitt/UCF.
I went to GaTech and stayed the entire game.

Yes, I want to see Pitt challeneged and play good teams. I don’t waste my time when they play JV teams.

I didn’t even turn on the TV for albany.
I watched PSU till the end.
I watched as much of the UCF game as I could from vacation. Ya, on vacation I made an effort to watch Pitt/UCF.
I went to GaTech and stayed the entire game.

Yes, I want to see Pitt challeneged and play good teams. I don’t waste my time when they play JV teams.

I watched the entire Albany game and enjoyed it.

The problem is meathead fans that want us to schedule murderers row and then tell us all the losses aren’t from having a tough schedule. I’m guessing these guys didnt take advantage of Pitts great philosopy department.

-Pitt has already tried all the other ways. We had recruiting with DW, we had the offense with Walt, we had the spread with Fraud, etc...

-The schedule used to bury Virginia football too. Take NOTICE Virginia football scheduling now. Mike London was fired because he kept getting beat up by teams like Boise State, UCLA, Oregon, and loading the non conference suicide schedule etc.... Bronco Mendenhall now loads the cupcakes and is turning their program around. Virginia will pass us soon if they havent already. They are winning more games with easier schedule.

I don’t disagree. Though any good feelings go away after a bad loss, which is inevitable if the team is bad

I just don’t think it’s the point of the conversation
Which is, the schedule isn’t, nor has it ever been ,part of Pitts problems

Wow. Exhibit A. The meathead type I was talking about. Clueless.

I agree with you.
Why do people assume Pitt would beat Akron or Bowling Green?
How about fielding a better team and product and be competitive with whoever you play?

Guess what an easy schedule won't let us do? Actually win our conference. That means we have to do things like, say, beat UNC. We have to schedule one P5 team anyway, Notre Dame rotated through, and we have limited money to buy wins, so in most years an easier schedule might mean an estimated 0.5 wins.

This year is a uniquely bad situation for sure.

Reactions: cashisking884
You need to schedule for where you are as a program, right now Pitt needs wins not a strong schedule to make a push at for the playoffs.

Yes, but I think the committee will reward us for our OOC schedule on Selection Sunday. If we can just go .500 in conference.

lol @ us "probably" beating Toledo.

Toldeo is 69th in the S&P+ with the 19th rated offense (and that's with a new QB. God save us from what they would do to our offense with a returning starter). Their two losses are to Miami (18th in the S&P+) and Fresno State (25th in the S&P+). We are 85th in the S&P+.

Look, I get and support the scheduling argument. We need to schedule easier games. But people don't appreciate how BAD we are, and how that needs to improve.

We can't schedule our way out of this. We would be in a dogfight with a huge % of G5 teams. And we are going to continue to lose to the majority of P5 teams.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT