ADVERTISEMENT

Scuffle.

Its amazing how consistently Pitt disappoints in big situations. Pitt football...Pitt Volleyball...and now Pitt Wrestling.

Micky, Nino, and Meech all lose in the semis, Micky and Meech to lower seeded wrestlers. Harvey wins his semi against a higher seeded guy, so at least we have one finalist. Harvey is going to face Carter Starocci from PSU in the finals
That’s three losses for Nino wit this particular opponent going back to last season. Bad match up I Guess. Meech looked wasted after that second period even though he had the lead 4-1. He didn’t even move on the whistle for third period and that was all she wrote. He never got off his belly.

We pretty clearly are a better dual meet team than a tournament team. Most disappointing matches so far: Bono getting destroyed. Thomas losing a 4-point lead in the third and getting put on his back for 4 near fall points.

I am past being disappointed in Talib. His senior season has been a train wreck.

Harvey and Wentzel have been positive surprises. Harvey had an easy draw, but so did Mickey and Thomas and they didn’t take advantage of it. Bono lost to a Binghampton wrestler who was seeded lower but ranked one spot higher. But he didn’t just lose; he got badly beaten.

Who would have thought we would have one finalist and it would be Greg Harvey?

That’s three losses for Nino wit this particular opponent going back to last season. Bad match up I Guess. Meech looked wasted after that second period even though he had the lead 4-1. He didn’t even move on the whistle for third period and that was all she wrote. He never got off his belly.
Curious why Meech continues to have conditioning issues. Was his opponent drastically bigger than him?

Bono wins another major decision. Thomas gets a pin in 1 minute. Mickey wins. Wentzel loses.

Pitt has one finalist (Harvey), 3 in 3rd place matches (Mickey, Bono, Thomas) and one in 5th place match (Wentzel).

For comparison purposes, ACC rival NC State has 3 finalists, 3 in 3rd place matches, 3 in 5th or 7th place matches. Battling with Oklahoma State for team title. We are tied for 9th I think.

Bono wins another major decision. Thomas gets a pin in 1 minute. Mickey wins. Wentzel loses.

Pitt has one finalist (Harvey), 3 in 3rd place matches (Mickey, Bono, Thomas) and one in 5th place match (Wentzel).

For comparison purposes, ACC rival NC State has 3 finalists, 3 in 3rd place matches, 3 in 5th or 7th place matches. Battling with Oklahoma State for team title. We are tied for 9th I think.

According to Flo Pitt is in 5th place with 88 points trailing Stanford with 91.5. NCST has 2 in the finals, 3 in the 3rd place matches and 3 in the 7th place matches. They are in 2nd place with 102 points.

NOTE: Pitt finished 4th behind OKST, NCST and Stanford.

Last edited:
Curious why Meech continues to have conditioning issues. Was his opponent drastically bigger than him?
Not appreciably. Little taller
Maybe. Not many fatties left anymore. He got his legs into Meech. Splayed him out, tilted him for almost a minute. When he got back on stomach, the kid just ground him into Mat. He tended to To ride a little high. I kept yelling to grab his head and pull. Meech could never get a base under himself though.

Reactions: jctrack and persp
Ouch, Wentzel. Loses 9-3 to Joe Lee of PSU. I didnt see the match, but it appears he got taken down to his back for a quick 6-0 deficit. Got taken down again later. Tough finish. Hope he doesnt lose confidence

Reactions: jctrack
Harvey lost 11-6 to take second and Nino won impressively, 13-1 to take third.

Shows how unbelievably deep PSU is. Two guys who aren’t even wrestling for them come to the Scuffle and beat two of our starters pretty convincingly. Their depth is extraordinary...and this is a down year for them in the rankings.

To me, Stanford was the big surprise. I think they had 3 finalists. There are a lot of really good HS programs in California right now, and almost nowhere locally for them to go to college. I don’t think Stanford is an option for kids growing up in Gilroy, Bakersfield and Poway; with a half ride, it still would cost them almost $30,000 a year.

Shows how unbelievably deep PSU is. Two guys who aren’t even wrestling for them come to the Scuffle and beat two of our starters pretty convincingly. Their depth is extraordinary...and this is a down year for them in the rankings.

To me, Stanford was the big surprise. I think they had 3 finalists. There are a lot of really good HS programs in California right now, and almost nowhere locally for them to go to college. I don’t think Stanford is an option for kids growing up in Gilroy, Bakersfield and Poway; with a half ride, it still would cost them almost $30,000 a year.
Stanford probably meets all need. Might be close to free for those kids.

Stanford probably meets all need. Might be close to free for those kids.
That is correct. Stanford has lots of need based money. One of my son’s friend played soccer there on a half scholarship and paid nothing. He was from Sewickley.

Two of Stanford’s best are New Jersey Kids...Griffith & Van der Merwe

This result overall foreshadows another likely bad ACC & NCAA Tourney results... hope I'm wrong but our best are losing to kids not as good as they'll see at NCAA and I some cases ACC... and yes PSU depth unreal, from what I understand after Joseph & Hall graduate they'll be stacked next year from 157 to Hwt, including several absolute world beaters

This result overall foreshadows another likely bad ACC & NCAA Tourney results... hope I'm wrong but our best are losing to kids not as good as they'll see at NCAA and I some cases ACC... and yes PSU depth unreal, from what I understand after Joseph & Hall graduate they'll be stacked next year from 157 to Hwt, including several absolute world beaters
Don’t read too much into early season results....you want to be wrestling your best heading into March, peaking at the right time of the year is the key.

Berge, Lee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, and Kerkvliet or Nelvis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT