ADVERTISEMENT

Seeing articles that Dayton is the secret scrimmage opponent this year

I'll confirm this. I mentioned last week that I knew who we were scrimmaging and would report on it afterward. Didn't think it would come out beforehand, as last year's 'Nova scrimmage was kept on the down low until after the fact.

I Google'd to see how you saw anything on this and discovered that Dayton Daily News actually reported it—and the location. I'm really surprised by this, as NCAA regs say the scrimmages can't be publicized.

Here's the article: https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...-secret-scrimmage-oct/jxIRFsSsgGwPOKcwBlPjaN/

Reactions: cabe23
I'll confirm this. I mentioned last week that I knew who we were scrimmaging and would report on it afterward. Didn't think it would come out beforehand, as last year's 'Nova scrimmage was kept on the down low until after the fact.

I Google'd to see how you saw anything on this and discovered that Dayton Daily News actually reported it—and the location. I'm really surprised by this, as NCAA regs say the scrimmages can't be publicized.

Here's the article: https://www.daytondailynews.com/spo...-secret-scrimmage-oct/jxIRFsSsgGwPOKcwBlPjaN/

No...I have no inside sources. Just saw it pop up on Google for me. That said, I did see the nova team in Pittsburgh a couple years back leaving the reneassaince hotel so I guessed it then based on seeing the actual team. I was walking to heinz for a football game that day. Unfortunately when I think of Dayton I think of fields messing up his foot there.

Perfect opponent for a scrimmage. Not a powerhouse that's going to crush us and kill our confidence, but not a pushover that running over would prove nothing.

No...I have no inside sources. Just saw it pop up on Google for me. That said, I did see the nova team in Pittsburgh a couple years back leaving the reneassaince hotel so I guessed it then based on seeing the actual team. I was walking to heinz for a football game that day. Unfortunately when I think of Dayton I think of fields messing up his foot there.
Wasn't it a cheerleader who got in his way flying out of bounds?

I thought Fields slipped and rolled his ankle on some cheering prop that rolls? Odd home-and-home series. Both games were blowouts between two programs that were good at the time.

They changed that a few years ago. They can be publicized and the teams can even release stats. They can talk about the scrimmage as much as they want. Basically they can do anything they want except have fans or TV there.

Neither school is publicizing it. The NCAA can't do anything about a paper, blog, twitter, etc. reporting it.

They changed that a few years ago. They can be publicized and the teams can even release stats. They can talk about the scrimmage as much as they want. Basically they can do anything they want except have fans or TV there.
They still cannot be publicized or officially discussed or released by the schools in anyway. They also cannot keep or release official scoring. In fact, the scrimmages aren't even allowed to have media attend them, but of course word gets out to media members via "anonymous" sources.

This hasn't changed for a long time.

17.3.3 First Contest. An institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage) with outside competition in basketball prior to the Tuesday immediately before the second Friday of November (see Figure 17-2). (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 1/18/18 effective 8/1/18)

17.3.3.1 Exceptions. The following basketball contests (games or scrimmages) are permitted prior to the first contest dates specified under Bylaw 17.3.3: (Adopted: 1/10/95, Revised: 1/11/97, 4/22/98, 10/27/98 effective 8/1/99, 10/28/99, 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 5/12/05, 1/14/08 effective 8/1/08, 1/17/09 effective 8/1/09, 3/2/09)

(a) Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition exempted per Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h) may occur at any point during the permissible playing and practice season (see Bylaw 17.3.1), provided it is conducted in privacy and without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view. No class time shall be missed by basketball student-athletes in conjunction with such a scrimmage, including all associated activities (e.g., travel, pregame and postgame activities); and

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT