ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously a noon start next Monday?

tetonpanther

Freshman
Sep 26, 2005
may be l the lightest attended Pitt game in my memory. Disgraceful to subject us to that. Heather or Coach Capel owe us an explanation. Who will attend retirees only ? Not everybody has two weeks off at the end of year like the pointy headed academicians.

The game is on television, so my guess is that AT&T Pittsburgh asked for it. They have a Penguins game on that evening. In the afternoon they are showing the Pitt men at noon and the Pitt women at 2:00. So they probably said that if we wanted the games on television they had to be played in the afternoon.

The game is on television, so my guess is that AT&T Pittsburgh asked for it. They have a Penguins game on that evening. In the afternoon they are showing the Pitt men at noon and the Pitt women at 2:00. So they probably said that if we wanted the games on television they had to be played in the afternoon.
I’m off so I’ll be there ... no biggie!

I posted about this the other week.

Unfortunately I can’t make it due to work, will be my first miss of the season.

Hope panthers can keep it rolling and round into form for Wake!

may be l the lightest attended Pitt game in my memory. Disgraceful to subject us to that. Heather or Coach Capel owe us an explanation. Who will attend retirees only ? Not everybody has two weeks off at the end of year like the pointy headed academicians.
Real fans would quit their jobs to go to the game.

Some of those stallings games were lightly attended but I can’t imagine there being more than a few hundred for this one. Mind bottling

Probably 30%-40% of the workforce will be off so I dont see it as a big deal.

It was probably due to a few different factors:

1. What days could Canisius play?

2. You dont want avoid Sunday due to the NFL

3. You'd prefer to do Monday so you can take Tuesday off and 3 days to prepare for the ACC opener.

4. Fox Sports South wanted the game and the Pens played that night so I am sure that ATTSN asked FSS to move the game to noon. Pitt has no say. I guess they coulda done like a 4PM start, maybe that would have been better but I dont think the start time will have much affect on attendance because like I said, a lot of people are off. I am and I'll be there. I'd say the actual crowd will be about 3000 like the other cupcake games

Reactions: rrig5
Thank goodness you weren’t a Cubs fan. They used to play afternoon home games every day of the week.

Reactions: rrig5 and passedout
Probably 30%-40% of the workforce will be off so I dont see it as a big deal.

It was probably due to a few different factors:

1. What days could Canisius play?

2. You dont want avoid Sunday due to the NFL

3. You'd prefer to do Monday so you can take Tuesday off and 3 days to prepare for the ACC opener.

4. Fox Sports South wanted the game and the Pens played that night so I am sure that ATTSN asked FSS to move the game to noon. Pitt has no say. I guess they coulda done like a 4PM start, maybe that would have been better but I dont think the start time will have much affect on attendance because like I said, a lot of people are off. I am and I'll be there. I'd say the actual crowd will be about 3000 like the other cupcake games
30-40%? on a New Years Eve, Eve? where do you come up with these absurdities?

Thank goodness you weren’t a Cubs fan. They used to play afternoon home games every day of the week.
Oh my....speaking of....my Christmas present to you all. Speaking of Cubs fans and day games and fans.....the infamous NSFW Lee Elia rant!!!

Lee Elia was the Cubs manager in the 80's when this was taped. And YIKES...when I mean NSFW, it is NSFW!!! If you are offended by profanity, don't open. If you have a sense of humor about how lousy the Cubs were back then.....do.

Reactions: LVNVPanther
Oh my....speaking of....my Christmas present to you all. Speaking of Cubs fans and day games and fans.....the infamous NSFW Lee Elia rant!!!

Lee Elia was the Cubs manager in the 80's when this was taped. And YIKES...when I mean NSFW, it is NSFW!!! If you are offended by profanity, don't open. If you have a sense of humor about how lousy the Cubs were back then.....do.

That is truly one of the great rants of all time.

One good and one bad for me. The good, i’ll be able to take my 8 year old grandson. The bad, it’s affecting our parking garage due to daytime leaseholders. Since we have a handicap parking placard, I will be able to park in the garage, but not where I always do.

Some of those stallings games were lightly attended but I can’t imagine there being more than a few hundred for this one. Mind bottling
Mine boggling not bottling.
boggle
[ˈbäɡəl]
VERB
boggling (present participle)
  1. (of a person or a person's mind) be astonished or overwhelmed when trying to imagine something.
Mind Bottling is a micro brewery on the banks of the Pittsburgh sewage authority outflow.

boggle
[ˈbäɡəl]
VERB
  1. (of a person or a person's mind) be astonished or overwhelmed when trying to imagine something.
Mind Bottling is a micro brewery on the banks of the Pittsburgh sewage authority outflow.

Mind boggling. Not mine boggling.

I'll be there. Haven't checked yet with my ticket sharing group but I expect some of the other 3 will go as they are retired.

The last 4 different jobs I've had, going back over 20 years, have all given us the week between Xmas and New' Year's off. It's not unusual. I feel like we've had several of these day games over the break in past years.

The last 4 different jobs I've had, going back over 20 years, have all given us the week between Xmas and New' Year's off. It's not unusual. I feel like we've had several of these day games over the break in past years.
Not all of us are lucky enough to have government gigs!!

boggle
[ˈbäɡəl]
VERB
lol. It was a joke from Blades of Glory. Lighten up

30-40%? on a New Years Eve, Eve? where do you come up with these absurdities?

For the first time I kind of agree with SMF. In my own organization at work next week only four people out of fifteen personnel will be there Monday and Tuesday. A mix of 20 somethings all the way to 60 somethings will be off enjoying the holiday.

For the first time I kind of agree with SMF. In my own organization at work next week only four people out of fifteen personnel will be there Monday and Tuesday. A mix of 20 somethings all the way to 60 somethings will be off enjoying the holiday.

I always take the week between Christmas and New Year's off. Everywhere I've ever worked has had a large number of people use vacation time that week. I maintain that 30%-40% of people who would normally work 9-5 on Mondays will be off.

I'm just glad that we're going to be getting into the real basketball season real soon. I'll be there on Monday and as much as I can the rest of the year. My problem is I have a job that requires me to travel every week, Monday through Thursday or Friday. So I end up missing some weekday home games.

Elia somehow bends his mind into believing he manages 25 actual working class people. Lee, just maybe they put their time in and are(were) enjoying retirement. 30 years later it's the same. If I hear one more player say they need to put food on the table for their families. The players' per diem is enough to support a family on top of their salaries. Plenty of food and clothing in the clubhouses for all players before they cash their checks. Let the booing begin with the Pittsburgh 15% remaining at Pirate games.

Looking forward to another blowout before ACC season starts. I just wish the ice cream stand was still in the Pete.

I always take the week between Christmas and New Year's off. Everywhere I've ever worked has had a large number of people use vacation time that week. I maintain that 30%-40% of people who would normally work 9-5 on Mondays will be off.

That’s certainly true for offices/white collar workers, where most are probably open but have skeleton crews. Schools and government offices closed (I think) certainly adds to the number.

A large amount of blue collar employees are working though. Retail and dining will be in full force. The trades will be out there working.

All in all 30-40% is probably pretty accurate

There are only 30 available tix on Stubhub and the cheapest is $20. Which is much different than the other games against the low and mid-majors.

Of course there’s a ton of single game tickets unsold but this might be the best attended out of all the games not against FSU/WVU/Rutgers.

There are only 30 available tix on Stubhub and the cheapest is $20. Which is much different than the other games against the low and mid-majors.

Of course there’s a ton of single game tickets unsold but this might be the best attended out of all the games not against FSU/WVU/Rutgers.

Yes, I said this is another thread. I was StubHubbing my tickets 6-7 years ago when we played Albany at noon on NYE on a weekday. I was astonished that the StubHub prices rivaled lower level Big East games. I think I ended up paying $20/seat when you could then and still get any other cupcake game at the StubHub minimum of $6 for lowers. Also, Pitt printed a higher price for this Canisius game on the season tickets. More than any other cupcake game and the same price as Wake, GT, and BC. For whatever reason, I think this holiday week weekday matinees are more popular than usual night games. So I don't know why people are complaining.

We also played Cincinnati at noon on NYE on a weekday when Adams was here. I don't remember the ticket situation for that one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT