ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Sometimes offering “Dribbles” is just an absolute blast. Like on Saturday. But this just won’t be one of those times. Yet I will muddle through.

** Let me say this though. I had some really great Dribbles planned for a Panther win. I swear I did.

** I mean … of course, I’m not going to tell you what they were now. But I know everyone would have loved them!!

** So now what I am I supposed to do? How can anyone possibly be up to the task of “Dribbling” after that performance?

** Let’s start with the most immediate ugly truth. 88 points. Do you know the last time Notre Dame scored 88 points this year? I looked it up. It was on November 13 against Youngstown State when they also won 88-81.

** And this was not a sizzling shooting performance by the Lucky Ones. This was a day when the Irish got everything they wanted offensively all game long. The question is why?

** I remember Carl Krauser commenting about going to Notre Dame and hating that dam Leprechaun. Maybe that had something to do with it. I mean … who’s to say?

** But the more likely explanation can be found within our Panthers themselves. Tonight they weren’t good enough. They weren’t even close actually.

** I don’t want to suggest that the effort the Panthers’ employed defensively was substandard. But I will question the preparation. Our Panthers seemed almost always out of place. And this was extremely frustrating because it made our Panthers feel powerless. We haven’t felt that way about them for awhile.

** I believe the biggest culprit was our execution of switches. How often did we find our Panthers in a defensive mismatch? Far too often for sure.

** Another problem was that ND simply tore up our hedge. The hedge is designed to disrupt the opponent’s offense outward, and too many times we saw Fede retreating to recover while ND was already into the extra pass for an open shot on the perimeter.

** Many other times, ND used our hedge against us to get Fede on a guard. He’s quick and athletic for sure. But that wasn’t working.

** Often I’ve come out against the idea of College Basketball coaches needing to make “in-game adjustments.” But this may have indeed been a game when trying a zone may have been worth a shot.

** I understand why that wouldn’t have been Capel’s plan, since ND has some shooters. But those same shooters where already getting plenty of good looks against our man.

** Our maybe after watching the shambles of what Syracuse has made our of their 2-3 zone, maybe Capel never wants to see a 2-3 again.

** Whatever it was, it was left to the Panther offense to try to come up with a way to outscore the Green team. And while we didn’t lay an egg on our end, we weren’t near our best there either.

** It’s been quite a bit of fun watching the Panthers have a distinct advantage at the foul line so often this year, which made this 56% effort so perplexing. Just an average Panther performance from the line could have provided enough points to make up tonight’s needed difference.

** The missing piece that troubled me the most though was how Notre Dame was so effectively able to take Greg Elliot out of his game. He been such an important Panther weapon as of late, but he rarely was able to get any kind of a look in the half court today.

** But I will go to my comment from the top. 88 points. Because 81 points should be enough to beat the Irish.

** Otherwise, I will reserve deeper judgements about this game. After all, there is still a part of me that wonders if this game tells us a few things about our team that we don’t really want to know. After all, despite all of the Panther fan bellyaching about NET rankings and other metrics, maybe the reality is that placing the Panthers around #50 is a little closer to reality than we'd like.

** Instead, I will focus on another fact which is that we still head to Miami with a chance to clinch our share of the ACC regular season title. And as frustrating as today was, that’s still a pretty darn wonderful thing regardless of our NET ranking.

** So I’ll leave with this good thought. Let's go to Florida hoping for a great outcome. Because I will really enjoy writing about that. I still have plenty of great ideas stored up after today. Really. I swear I do.

** Sometimes offering “Dribbles” is just an absolute blast. Like on Saturday. But this just won’t be one of those times. Yet I will muddle through.

** Let me say this though. I had some really great Dribbles planned for a Panther win. I swear I did.

** I mean … of course, I’m not going to tell you what they were now. But I know everyone would have loved them!!

** So now what I am I supposed to do? How can anyone possibly be up to the task of “Dribbling” after that performance?

** Let’s start with the most immediate ugly truth. 88 points. Do you know the last time Notre Dame scored 88 points this year? I looked it up. It was on November 13 against Youngstown State when they also won 88-81.

** And this was not a sizzling shooting performance by the Lucky Ones. This was a day when the Irish got everything they wanted offensively all game long. The question is why?

** I remember Carl Krauser commenting about going to Notre Dame and hating that dam Leprechaun. Maybe that had something to do with it. I mean … who’s to say?

** But the more likely explanation can be found within our Panthers themselves. Tonight they weren’t good enough. They weren’t even close actually.

** I don’t want to suggest that the effort the Panthers’ employed defensively was substandard. But I will question the preparation. Our Panthers seemed almost always out of place. And this was extremely frustrating because it made our Panthers feel powerless. We haven’t felt that way about them for awhile.

** I believe the biggest culprit was our execution of switches. How often did we find our Panthers in a defensive mismatch? Far too often for sure.

** Another problem was that ND simply tore up our hedge. The hedge is designed to disrupt the opponent’s offense outward, and too many times we saw Fede retreating to recover while ND was already into the extra pass for an open shot on the perimeter.

** Many other times, ND used our hedge against us to get Fede on a guard. He’s quick and athletic for sure. But that wasn’t working.

** Often I’ve come out against the idea of College Basketball coaches needing to make “in-game adjustments.” But this may have indeed been a game when trying a zone may have been worth a shot.

** I understand why that wouldn’t have been Capel’s plan, since ND has some shooters. But those same shooters where already getting plenty of good looks against our man.

** Our maybe after watching the shambles of what Syracuse has made our of their 2-3 zone, maybe Capel never wants to see a 2-3 again.

** Whatever it was, it was left to the Panther offense to try to come up with a way to outscore the Green team. And while we didn’t lay an egg on our end, we weren’t near our best there either.

** It’s been quite a bit of fun watching the Panthers have a distinct advantage at the foul line so often this year, which made this 56% effort so perplexing. Just an average Panther performance from the line could have provided enough points to make up tonight’s needed difference.

** The missing piece that troubled me the most though was how Notre Dame was so effectively able to take Greg Elliot out of his game. He been such an important Panther weapon as of late, but he rarely was able to get any kind of a look in the half court today.

** But I will go to my comment from the top. 88 points. Because 81 points should be enough to beat the Irish.

** Otherwise, I will reserve deeper judgements about this game. After all, there is still a part of me that wonders if this game tells us a few things about our team that we don’t really want to know. After all, despite all of the Panther fan bellyaching about NET rankings and other metrics, maybe the reality is that placing the Panthers around #50 is a little closer to reality than we'd like.

** Instead, I will focus on another fact which is that we still head to Miami with a chance to clinch our share of the ACC regular season title. And as frustrating as today was, that’s still a pretty darn wonderful thing regardless of our NET ranking.

** So I’ll leave with this good thought. Let go to Florida hoping for a great outcome. I sure hope so. Because I will really enjoy writing about that. I still have plenty of great ideas stored up after today. Really. I swear I do.
Thanks DT - I hope we get to read your more enjoyable thoughts come Saturday. But I also couldn’t help but wonder if this incredible 20-5 stretch was perhaps the result of overachieving in winning many close games that turned, perhaps a legitimate 10 win conference season, into a highly improbable 14 win season. Even if we were say 10-8 coming into tonight’s game, it would still have been a setback but it would have been more around getting the single ACCT tourney bye or seeding rather than losing a championship opportunity.

The dirty little secret is that Pitt's defense has been bad all year. If you look at team defense stats, we are among the worst of possible NCAAT teams. Its a big reason why our NET is so low.

Reactions: jctrack

** So I’ll leave with this good thought. Let's go to Florida hoping for a great outcome. I sure hope so. Because I will really enjoy writing about that. I still have plenty of great ideas stored up after today. Really. I swear I do.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news here to spoil what has been a really nice season for the most part. But our defensive efficiency has been over 110+ 4 games in a row against Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech. This isn't just bad. It's really bad.

And I think Fede has been a very big reason as to why along with Hinson. Fede does not play defense well when he gets sucked away from the basket. And when he has to cover shooters, especially from 3, he gets himself into trouble often because he doesn't cover anywhere near fast enough on the perimeter. Our guards have had trouble closing on 3 point shooters. Our guards are getting beat with dribble penetration. There are a lot of issues on defense.

Our offense has been pretty lights out in efficiency. To put this into better perspective, in our last 10 games, our offensive team efficiency is ranked:

23rd best in the country. That is really quite good. A huge improvement from past Capel teams.

Our defensive team efficiency is

180th. That is really, really worrisome. And our teams have collapsed in the past with poor defense under Capel. 4 really bad games on defense is a really ugly trend to have to know about, but its a fact.

I have greatly enjoyed this season. If we get just 1 more win, I hope it is against Miami to get a slice of the ACC regular season title. But our red hot offense has really covered up the warts of our poor defense. And the efficiency numbers are just as bad and just as telling as what mine / your eyes are telling you in regard to where our defense is right now.

Thanks DT - I hope we get to read your more enjoyable thoughts come Saturday. But I also couldn’t help but wonder if this incredible 20-5 stretch was perhaps the result of overachieving in winning many close games that turned, perhaps a legitimate 10 win conference season, into a highly improbable 14 win season. Even if we were say 10-8 coming into tonight’s game, it would still have been a setback but it would have been more around getting the single ACCT tourney bye or seeding rather than losing a championship opportunity.

I surely could have been some overachieving. Maybe this is total evidence of that.

But I don't want to minimize how wonderful this overachieving is in any way. We are all here tonight torn up about a loss that denied us for the moment a share of the ACC title.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news here to spoil what has been a really nice season for the most part. But our defensive efficiency has been over 110+ 4 games in a row against Notre Dame, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Georgia Tech. This isn't just bad. It's really bad.

And I think Fede has been a very big reason as to why along with Hinson. Fede does not play defense well when he gets sucked away from the basket. And when he has to cover shooters, especially from 3, he gets himself into trouble often because he doesn't cover anywhere near fast enough on the perimeter. Our guards have had trouble closing on 3 point shooters. Our guards are getting beat with dribble penetration. There are a lot of issues on defense.

Our offense has been pretty lights out in efficiency. To put this into better perspective, in our last 10 games, our offensive team efficiency is ranked:

23rd best in the country. That is really quite good. A huge improvement from past Capel teams.

180th. That is really, really worrisome. And our teams have collapsed in the past with poor defense under Capel. 4 really bad games on defense is a really ugly trend to have to know about, but its a fact.

I have greatly enjoyed this season. If we get just 1 more win, I hope it is against Miami to get a slice of the ACC regular season title. But our red hot offense has really covered up the warts of our poor defense. And the efficiency numbers are just as bad and just as telling as what mine / your eyes are telling you in regard to where our defense is right now.

Really good points. Agree with everything.

Reactions: rockypanther

I mean, yes, this is an overachieving group. Talent-wise, we really arent any better than VT, Wake, Syr, FSU, even ND. ND was missing one of their best players tonight. We have risen to the occasion and made timely plays. We deserve to be where we are but this team could absolutely be 10-9 right now or worse.

DT, your comments about
the hedge are spot on. ND
obviously practiced against
it and they succeeded. The
fact that the got the mis
matches they wanted...... a
guard on a big, tells you
how well and how smart
they played it.

As for the rest of the game,
they totally outplayed us
from the start. It's bball,
it happens. Syracuse came
in here several days ago
and ran into a buzz saw.
We were playing for first
place, we had a sellout,
the crowd was nuts we had
Hamlin in the house etc.
Tonight just the opposite,
we ran into a buzz saw at
ND. Brey's last game, an
emotional sellout crowd,
Sr. night, etc. This is college
bball, we love it when it
happens at the Pete. We
had to bring our A game
Plus. We didn't, they did.

Oh we probably *are* about as good as where NET has us. Just seems like, as improbable as some of those wins were, it should matter a little more we, you know, won them. Nobody is fooled when a 10-2 Louisiana team in football is ranked ahead of a 7-5 LSU team, but it just is what it is. Resume (and by that I mean strictly wins or losses) has to count for more than this thing allows. You might even call it too accurate: It ranks too much according to who is the best rather than who is the most deserving. They're not the same.

DT, I hate to agree, but I have to. Yes, we saw an entirely ugly side of Pitt BB compared to the past couple of weeks; a lot as a result of poor 3-pt shooting and FT shooting, but the defense has been problematic for awhile. I don't know how you clean that up (the D) now that tournament time is nearing. Maybe we just hope and pray that our matchups over the next few weeks will favor us, and we'll get our shots to drop

Oh we probably *are* about as good as where NET has us. Just seems like, as improbable as some of those wins were, it should matter a little more we, you know, won them. Nobody is fooled when a 10-2 Louisiana team in football is ranked ahead of a 7-5 LSU team, but it just is what it is. Resume (and by that I mean strictly wins or losses) has to count for more than this thing allows. You might even call it too accurate: It ranks too much according to who is the best rather than who is the most deserving. They're not the same.

Agreed. I never really believed our team was better/more talented than a lot of teams with better NETs. NET, using its Vegas metrics actually does a decent job of ranking teams based on who is better regardless of record/resume. I just believe if you are picking a tournament, you have to solely on resume and not Vegas.

** So I’ll leave with this good thought. Let's go to Florida hoping for a great outcome. I sure hope so. Because I will really enjoy writing about that. I still have plenty of great ideas stored up after today. Really. I swear I do.
As far as Greg is concerned. If they gameplan to take him out they can. Just don't leave him and he's pretty much can't get anything.
We don't run sets to free him really

Reactions: PittPoker
Agreed. I never really believed our team was better/more talented than a lot of teams with better NETs. NET, using its Vegas metrics actually does a decent job of ranking teams based on who is better regardless of record/resume. I just believe if you are picking a tournament, you have to solely on resume and not Vegas.
Respectfully disagree on the Vegas thing ... Pitt is one of the top programs in the country with respect to covering the spread. So Vegas has missed on us WAY MORE than they've been correct

I'll go back to Big East days and say that there are just some teams that for whatever reason, Pitt does not match up well with. ND has always been a nemesis vs us. Especially on their court, but overall. We are 11-21 vs ND since 1999. Now, on a five-game losing streak

I don’t blame Krauser for the leprechaun comment. I go back to Jerome Lane scoffing at playing “rinky-dinks” (circa 1987?). It’s cursed us against crap opponents ever since. Wish he’d publicly refuted that comment during his fete at the Pete last month…like the releasing the Spirit Of Pitt Stadium at Heinz…or something. 😄

Respectfully disagree on the Vegas thing ... Pitt is one of the top programs in the country with respect to covering the spread. So Vegas has missed on us WAY MORE than they've been correct

I'll go back to Big East days and say that there are just some teams that for whatever reason, Pitt does not match up well with. ND has always been a nemesis vs us. Especially on their court, but overall. We are 11-21 vs ND since 1999. Now, on a five-game losing streak

The reason Pitt is so good against the spread is Vegas/NET dont think we are any good. So we keep outperforming the metrics they have on us......but barely and not enough for Vegas/NET to say "wow, we were wrong about Pitt."

Reactions: PittPoker

I have greatly enjoyed this season. If we get just 1 more win, I hope it is against Miami to get a slice of the ACC regular season title. But our red hot offense has really covered up the warts of our poor defense. And the eOur
Very true about our "red
hot offense" bailing out our
poor defensive team efficiency
this year. Tonight ND was
patient, took their time and
got our guards out of sync.
I felt they had us well scouted
and executed their game plan.
They took Elliot out of the
game and made us work for
everything on the offensive
end. We were outplayed,
and they played smart.

Very true about our "red
hot offense" bailing out our
poor defensive team efficiency
this year. Tonight ND was
patient, took their time and
got our guards out of sync.
I felt they had us well scouted
and executed their game plan.
They took Elliot out of the
game and made us work for
everything on the offensive
end. We were outplayed,
and they played smart.
I think Pitt football and basketball fans have to come to terms (and I think most already have) that our head coaches in those sports have some very good qualities, but in both cases, we aren’t going to win many games through outsmarting the head coach on the opposite side.

DT, I hate to agree, but I have to. Yes, we saw an entirely ugly side of Pitt BB compared to the past couple of weeks; a lot as a result of poor 3-pt shooting and FT shooting, but the defense has been problematic for awhile. I don't know how you clean that up (the D) now that tournament time is nearing. Maybe we just hope and pray that our matchups over the next few weeks will favor us, and we'll get our shots to drop

Chairman, that's all about all we can hope for....that our matchups are favorable on defense. Somehow, some way, our defense has to show up and improve dramatically now. The end of the season is near and that means tournament time where better teams than ND await. I just don't see Capel being able to suddenly wave a magic wand and the defense improves as much as it needs to.

I think Pitt football and basketball fans have to come to terms (and I think most already have) that our head coaches in those sports have some very good qualities, but in both cases, we aren’t going to win many games through outsmarting the head coach on the opposite side.
Most accurate comment on this board or 1 of them. So true. Capel had no answers and you just kind of knew he wouldn't make any adjustments. Been that way with him pretty much his whole tenure here.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Most accurate comment on this board or 1 of them. So true. Capel had no answers and you just kind of knew he wouldn't make any adjustments. Been that way with him pretty much his whole tenure here.
I don’t fault capel for the loss yesterday because of in game adjustments. Maybe they could’ve done something different with the screening/hedging but they may not have Fede trained to do any of them properly. Subs? Maybe. I dunno. Lots of things easy to say after the game. Sometimes the games are lost simply because the other team plays better.

There’s like 3 coaches in the world who I think would’ve definitely won that game yesterday with adjustments. One is president of the Celtics and the other is coaching in New Rochelle, NY. I’d have to think hard who the 3rd would be

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I’ve been saying it for the last 4 -5 games our hedge has been substandard, ill timed and unnecessary. It has been this way now for a while and coaches have watched enough tape and figured it out. It’s a true weakness!

I don’t fault capel for the loss yesterday because of in game adjustments. Maybe they could’ve done something different with the screening/hedging but they may not have Fede trained to do any of them properly. Subs? Maybe. I dunno. Lots of things easy to say after the game. Sometimes the games are lost simply because the other team plays better.

There’s like 3 coaches in the world who I think would’ve definitely won that game yesterday with adjustments. One is president of the Celtics and the other is coaching in New Rochelle, NY. I’d have to think hard who the 3rd would be

Bill Self

Maybe on Bill Self. Hall of fame coach no doubt. He wouldn’t be my #3 though. Probably Future mcneese state coach Will Wade would be my 3rd

Hard to take Will Wade over Self for in game adjustments. Self is really good at second half adjustments.

DT, your comments about
the hedge are spot on. ND
obviously practiced against
it and they succeeded. The
fact that the got the mis
matches they wanted...... a
guard on a big, tells you
how well and how smart
they played it.

As for the rest of the game,
they totally outplayed us
from the start. It's bball,
it happens. Syracuse came
in here several days ago
and ran into a buzz saw.
We were playing for first
place, we had a sellout,
the crowd was nuts we had
Hamlin in the house etc.
Tonight just the opposite,
we ran into a buzz saw at
ND. Brey's last game, an
emotional sellout crowd,
Sr. night, etc. This is college
bball, we love it when it
happens at the Pete. We
had to bring our A game
Plus. We didn't, they did.
Why didn’t we ice the sceeener or just use drop coverage. That’s not a big in game adjustment. But could have made a big difference.

May sound cliche, but I can't think of a better way for Pitt to go into the Miami game pissed and ready to play. I know the NET crap hurts worse with this loss, but from a "fan only" perspective, if you told me Pitt can only win 1 of last 2 games, I'd take the MIA game.

See, easy. 😆

Last edited:
Shooting great from three and shooting 80% from the line covers up a lot of deficiencies .

Pitt doesn’t have a plan B offense if the threes aren’t falling , that’s when having John Hugley would be invaluable .

Teams can make it tough on Burton to get his points , but he finds a way to get others the ball , but teams can take Elliot totally out of the game with good D .

With Hinson only making 2 3’s and Burton putting up 4 3’s Pitts not going to win many games .

Give ND credit they played much better than Pitt and deserved to win last night . When the opponents makes their threes it’s always the result of bad D , but when Pitt does that to them it’s great ball movement and shooting !

Pitts beaten a lot of teams this season that have equal or superior talent , it’s tough to keep doing that .

Pitt has had a remarkable season no matter what happens in Miami let’s not forget that .

Teams that are having an off night shooting the ball and scoring must then rely on superior defense to at least stay in the game and have the best chance to win. We didn't have much defense last night and that's why we lost. Adding any individual player out there, unless he was playing lock down defense for the whole team, wouldn't have made a difference last night.

I should have added I don’t blame Capel for last night, considering the egregious number of missed FT. There’s going to be nights the 3s don’t fall but you can’t miss the FTs they did.

Our pick and roll defense is our biggest weakness. We can't Dixon hard hedge at all, the soft hedge gets exploited, and when we switch, we don't do the "switch back" in time to avoid mismatches. Sometimes we double and get burned. It's not pretty.

Too bad because almost everything else we do well!

20/36

26/31

We missed 16 FTs. Notre Dame missed five. We lost by seven.

Don’t shoot horribly from the free throw line.

I should have added I don’t blame Capel for last night, considering the egregious number of missed FT. There’s going to be nights the 3s don’t fall but you can’t miss the FTs they did.
Things started snowballing on us and Murphy's Law kicked in. When 90% FT shooters are suddenly missing 2 at the line, it literally feels like a spell has been cast.

I agree with DT's point about having at least tried zone. It entered my mind when things were getting out of control.

Shooting great from three and shooting 80% from the line covers up a lot of deficiencies .

Pitt doesn’t have a plan B offense if the threes aren’t falling , that’s when having John Hugley would be invaluable .

Teams can make it tough on Burton to get his points , but he finds a way to get others the ball , but teams can take Elliot totally out of the game with good D .

With Hinson only making 2 3’s and Burton putting up 4 3’s Pitts not going to win many games .

Give ND credit they played much better than Pitt and deserved to win last night . When the opponents makes their threes it’s always the result of bad D , but when Pitt does that to them it’s great ball movement and shooting !

Pitts beaten a lot of teams this season that have equal or superior talent , it’s tough to keep doing that .

Pitt has had a remarkable season no matter what happens in Miami let’s not forget that .
Thought Pitt had an alternative yesterday on offense. They were able to drive and get good inside shot/layup attempts, or get to the FT line. They probably could have gone to more of it earlier in the the 1H When the 3’s weren’t falling. But the driving game was available. ND’s interior D wasn’t good.

However, the FT shooting was totally an abomination. They also missed point blank layups and put backs. Why? 🤷‍♂️ This team has been excellent at the FT line virtually all season. Pretty good at finishing inside too. Last night it bit them in the butt.

That combined with some very ineffective defense was enough to sink them. Teams that are capable will use 5 out on offense. Kinda started with the VT game. Then GT gave Pitt trouble with it. Puts FF somewhat in a dilemma when he gets pulled out on the floor on the D end. That’s all on video now. And not every team has the ability to play that way. Wasn’t so much of a problem vs SU because Edwards is a low post guy and not going to step outside to pull FF away. But the teams that can will very likely keep trying to do that vs Pitt more frequently.

We scored 81 points, offense wasn't the issue. We found a way to score despite poor 3 point shooting. Who would John Hugley have guarded last night? ND would have scored 100 if he was in the game.

We scored 81 points, offense wasn't the issue. We found a way to score despite poor 3 point shooting. Who would John Hugley have guarded last night? ND would have scored 100 if he was in the game.
My thoughts exactly. Even though we were missing FT's and 3's, we still scored 81 points. That should be enough to beat most teams on most nights. It's not like ND is some juggernaut where you have to score 90+ to beat them. They're a bad team.

Hugley would have been a liability last night on defense. If he was even available, he would have been on the bench if Capel wanted to win the game. This isn't rocket science. Our poor defense was our undoing last night, nothing else.

As for Hugley, I hope he gets his life together and the help he needs. But he shouldn't be playing basketball for us.

** So I’ll leave with this good thought. Let's go to Florida hoping for a great outcome. Because I will really enjoy writing about that. I still have plenty of great ideas stored up after today. Really. I swear I do.
I’ll be 8 rows behind the bench for Miami.

I wonder if the two aren't somehow related? Bad shooting from the floor = bad shooting from the FT line? I wonder if there's a statistic that either proves or disproves this? Maybe @Joe the Panther Fan has that at his beck and call ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT