ADVERTISEMENT

Should Coach Tomlin Return?

Should Coach Tomlin Return Next Season

• Yes

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 64.3%

• Total voters
Why cut off your nose to spite your face. The Steelers and Tomlin have a good relationship and if Tomlin would be agreeable to go to a certain team, why not try to take that team for some high draft picks. May not be doable but then again maybe it would be. But my guess is they sign him to a new 4 year deal.
Sure. Trade him if you get the right deal but it just doesn't seem likely.

Because owners are egotistical and want it now. Jones doesn’t have much time left and a guy like Tepper has zero patience.
And on the other hand autistic Rainman Rooney can't break his anal never fire the coach rule and is willing to lose forever to honor it.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Tomlin is a good enough coach. He's an elite motivator and average at at in game management. Every coach has warts. You can win with him as HC.

His problem has always been the guys he hires. He's terrible at finding and hiring assistants. Get him some help, and get him to accept the help.

If not, you have to have the conversation about a possible trade or moving on after next year.
But one of the most important jobs as a coach is being able to locate and hire the team around you. Seems to me if you’re not good at that you’re not all that great as a coach

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Lol Brady > Roethlisberger all day everyday. Not even sure if he was better than Phillip Rivers
two SB rings (not to mention a significantly higher winning percentage as a starter) says he was better than Rivers.....even though no one actually said Roethlisberger was equal to or better than Brady anywhere, ever thanks for coming up with that Brady '>' comparison as I was kind of on the fence on that one...

Last edited:
Not sure how you can say he overachieved this year when they lost to two of the worst teams in the league with the playoffs on the line

That's the thing. It just depends how how you look at it.

They were 5-1 against divisional foes, which far exceeded expectations. However, when you look under the hood, (Burrow out, Baltimore backups, etc) maybe not so impressive. ...Then came the horrible 3 game stretch to begin December with Trubisky and the playoffs on the line.

But they bounced back strong with seemingly nothing to play for, got a break beyond their control and made the playoffs.

Had someone told me last August the Steelers would be 10-7 and make the playoffs, I would have definitely signed up for that.

Why wouldn’t a team simply wait 1 year and give up nothing?
Because: 1) coach contracts don't toll and 2) new hire coaches don't work on a 1 year deal.

So if Tomlin goes to TV, the Steelers own his rights forever and you have to trade for him.

And if Washington wants Tomlin now, they won't want to have to hire Joe Bumbrains to a fully guaranteed 4 year deal in the interim and then hope and wait that Tomlin coaches 2024 in Pittsburgh and then also compete with every other team to sign Tomlin.

Outscored 66-0 in first quarter last 5 playoff games. Last 5 playoff games: avg points given up is 40+. He is not good anymore

Reactions: brickfhouse
Because: 1) coach contracts don't toll and 2) new hire coaches don't work on a 1 year deal.

So if Tomlin goes to TV, the Steelers own his rights forever and you have to trade for him.

And if Washington wants Tomlin now, they won't want to have to hire Joe Bumbrains to a fully guaranteed 4 year deal in the interim and then hope and wait that Tomlin coaches 2024 in Pittsburgh and then also compete with every other team to sign Tomlin.
They aren’t going to own his rights after next season without an extension .
He’s going to coach the stillers next year.
The stillers will either extend him soon or early next season unless he tells them it’s my last ride .

Then if you want to talk about trading him - go for it .

They aren’t going to own his rights after next season without an extension .
He’s going to coach the stillers next year.
The stillers will either extend him soon or early next season unless he tells them it’s my last ride .

Then if you want to talk about trading him - go for it .
Tomlin isn't entering this season without a contract extension. They can't get quality assistants as it is, they definitely wouldn't with a head coach on a one-year deal.

He's worst trait is being too committed to winning.

He should have let a couple seasons go down the drain to get a top rate QB.

You switch QBs yesterday we win 35-0

two SB rings (not to mention a significantly higher winning percentage as a starter) says he was better than Rivers.....even though no one actually said Roethlisberger was equal to or better than Brady anywhere, ever thanks for coming up with that Brady '>' comparison as I was kind of on the fence on that one...
You seriously are using Super Bowl rings to determine how good a quarterback is? You really want to go down that road?

Hopefully Paul Hackett’s son replaces him. Would be poetic justice for this city

You have an odd definition of what constitutes being spoiled. Can you find just one other coach in the league who has been with his team at least seven years and hasn't won a playoff game in that time? Just one.

So what grounds should this lifetime contract be awarded: The fact that he won a Super Bowl 15 years ago or the fact that he has displaced Marvin Lewis as the new Mr. Barely Relevant? Should Majors 2 have been given more time to bloom because of the success of Majors 1?

If you think Pittsburgh is bad, I would advise you to avoid what the Clemson boards have been saying about Dabo, New England about Bill, Alabama about Nick, etc. This is not a Pittsburgh thing at all.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
You have an odd definition of what constitutes being spoiled. Can you find just one other coach in the league who has been with his team at least seven years and hasn't won a playoff game in that time? Just one.

So what grounds should this lifetime contract be awarded: The fact that he won a Super Bowl 15 years ago or the fact that he has displaced Marvin Lewis as the new Mr. Barely Relevant? Should Majors 2 have been given more time to bloom because of the success of Majors 1?

If you think Pittsburgh is bad, I would advise you to avoid what the Clemson boards have been saying about Dabo, New England about Bill, Alabama about Nick, etc. This is not a Pittsburgh thing at all.
I never said the fanbase was spoiled, in fact I haven’t called them any names (yet).

I wouldn’t mind the Steeler fanbase going through what lol Pitt did with Hackett and what the basketball team is STILL enduring post Dixon.

They truly deserve it. They would be begging to see 10-7, like the Pitt basketball fans are begging to see a team consistently win more games than they lose in conference play.

They truly deserve it.
They would be begging to see 10-7, like the Pitt basketball fans are begging to see a team consistently win more games than they lose in conference play.
Based on wanting to watch the Steelers actually win a playoff game? Everyone wants Narduzzi to do better than 8-5 and everyone wanted Pitt under Dixon to get beyond the Sweet 16 with all those talented teams. The goal isn't to squeak into the playoffs every year only to get pounded.

Reactions: pittdan77
Based on wanting to watch the Steelers actually win a playoff game? Everyone wants Narduzzi to do better than 8-5 and everyone wanted Pitt under Dixon to get beyond the Sweet 16 with all those talented teams. The goal isn't to squeak into the playoffs every year only to get pounded.
If Watt plays yesterday they beat Buffalo. They needed his pass rush to pressure Allen into mistakes. Without Watt not sure how they are supposed to stop Buffalo’s offense.

If you want to blame Tomlin for something blame him for putting Trubisky in over Rudolph. That is legitimate criticism, of course the decision to even sign Trubisky was idiotic.

I never said the fanbase was spoiled, in fact I haven’t called them any names (yet).

I wouldn’t mind the Steeler fanbase going through what lol Pitt did with Hackett and what the basketball team is STILL enduring post Dixon.

They truly deserve it. They would be begging to see 10-7, like the Pitt basketball fans are begging to see a team consistently win more games than they lose in conference play.
Hi, Mike. Do you golf?

Not sure why Tomlin has decided to stay. Maybe he is just a glutton for punishment. It was time to move on, Washington would be a far better fit in a division nowhere near as tough as the AFC North. Atlanta would have been an even better fit.

Whoever is advising him should be fired

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
If Watt plays yesterday they beat Buffalo. They needed his pass rush to pressure Allen into mistakes. Without Watt not sure how they are supposed to stop Buffalo’s offense.

If you want to blame Tomlin for something blame him for putting Trubisky in over Rudolph. That is legitimate criticism, of course the decision to even sign Trubisky was idiotic.
What they needed was a QB who plays closer to the level of other team’s qb. And not having 2 terrible turnovers.

You’re not wrong about Watt being a difference maker. But they needed more than him.

Lol this whole thread is emotional and pointless. He is returning so yinz better get used to it 🤣🤣🤣
Mike Tomlin Win GIF by Pittsburgh Steelers

not true at all, no one Begs to go 10-7 in the nfl, it's counter productive. most of the steeler fan base would rather us go 5-12 than yet another 10-7 season. you cant compare it to college where you want to go 7-5 or 8-4, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

going 10-7 and losing in the first rd for 7 years in a row just breeds more mediocrity. Tomlin and the steelers pulling out a few late season wins against bad teams with backup qbs actually hurts the team more than it helps it..

What they needed was a QB who plays closer to the level of other team’s qb. And not having 2 terrible turnovers.

You’re not wrong about Watt being a difference maker. But they needed more than him.
What they needed was a strong pass rush to force Allen into turnovers and mistakes. They didn’t have a pass rush on Monday and the defense couldn’t come up with key stops and turnovers.

That game was very winnable, Buffalo is extremely overrated and the officials played a part with two questionable calls on the key drive of the game

not true at all, no one Begs to go 10-7 in the nfl, it's counter productive. most of the steeler fan base would rather us go 5-12 than yet another 10-7 season. you cant compare it to college where you want to go 7-5 or 8-4, it's an apples to oranges comparison.

going 10-7 and losing in the first rd for 7 years in a row just breeds more mediocrity. Tomlin and the steelers pulling out a few late season wins against bad teams with backup qbs actually hurts the team more than it helps it..
With all of the parity in the league you just want to get into the playoffs and have a chance. It’s unbelievable bad luck again for the Steelers that one of their best players gets hurt and misses the playoffs.

• Haha
What they needed was a strong pass rush to force Allen into turnovers and mistakes. They didn’t have a pass rush on Monday and the defense couldn’t come up with key stops and turnovers.

That game was very winnable, Buffalo is extremely overrated and the officials played a part with two questionable calls on the key drive of the game
Take away a two big plays and the points off of turnovers and the defense was fine. Under 40-yards per punt. The Steelers were too sloppy and took too long to show up.

The officials didn't do anything to keep the Steelers from winning.

Take away a two big plays and the points off of turnovers and the defense was fine. Under 40-yards per punt. The Steelers were too sloppy and took too long to show up.

hate to be the "blame the refs" guy but damned, we did get royally screwed on some big plays. The fake slide run was a blatant hold, that hit on JPJ by the OL was a personal foul, a missed pass interference..

Really F'ed us over a few times for sure..

hate to be the "blame the refs" guy but damned, we did get royally screwed on some big plays. The fake slide run was a blatant hold, that hit on JPJ by the OL was a personal foul, a missed pass interference..

Really F'ed us over a few times for sure..
Honestly, you can't put yourself in a position where you leave your season up to judgement calls by the officials. Not why they lost. Not even close.

Honestly, you can't put yourself in a position where you leave your season up to judgement calls by the officials. Not why they lost. Not even close.
ok, valid point. just saying, some of those calls were pretty bad and on some big plays. that's all.

of course fans of the losing football team always seem to have that argument and i hate to be that guy.

Would we have won? Probably not. Our window was scoring a td after the blocked punt. Tomlin went conservative, window closed, game and season over..

Reactions: pittdan77
For sure the calls didnt cost the steelers the game. Not being able to defend the TE (again) and whiffing on tackles was the main issue in addition to the turnovers. Well that and being too conservative on offense......once again. Tomlin made the comment when asked about the Bill shutting down run game that the Bills stacked the LOS and forced them to throw the ball more vertically than they wanted to and then they adjusted.. Like who didnt know the Bills werent going to sell out to stop the run.

Having said that I thought the PF call on the slide was bS

Bullsh defensive holding penalty after the zebras figured out they couldn’t call interference because Allen threw the ball over the bench. Ridiculous personal foul when the running back Allen decides to slide at the last minute.

Both of those on the drive after the Steelers cut it to 7

• Haha
Brady?

How about not beating Bortles and Tebow?
Steelers defense lost Shazier and seemingly just collapsed after that. Which was bad because that was one of the few times the Steelers played a divisional round game with Ben Bell and Brown all healthy and playing.

Never should have been the wild card in 2011 and having to play Denver in Colorado. Punishment for Big Ben playing against San Francisco, while injured, and the Steelers losing and getting the wild card slot instead of winning the division. Batch definitely should have started that game and it made me wonder how much power Tomlin actually had. Because as I recall Ben couldn’t even move, it was a ridiculous decision to put him out there.

A little off topic

Steelers defense lost Shazier and seemingly just collapsed after that. Which was bad because that was one of the few times the Steelers played a divisional round game with Ben Bell and Brown all healthy and playing.

Never should have been the wild card in 2011 and having to play Denver in Colorado. Punishment for Big Ben playing against San Francisco, while injured, and the Steelers losing and getting the wild card slot instead of winning the division. Batch definitely should have started that game and it made me wonder how much power Tomlin actually had. Because as I recall Ben couldn’t even move, it was a ridiculous decision to put him out there.

A little off topic
The Rooney’s definitely made Ben call for years , no doubt
It’s why he was never benched for performance

Reactions: Pitt8189
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT