ADVERTISEMENT

Should Pitt players kneel on Saturday?

That's a great stat as long as you don't take into account the fact that some NFL Network-only games were also broadcast on network television last year, or that ratings don't take into account games streamed on the internet, or that there was this little hurricane that hit during week 1, or that a Thursday night game featuring San Francisco (the team that started all of this) was up almost 40% over ratings from the same week last year.

Or that in a J.D. Power poll of 9,200 people that attended a professional sporting event in 2016 (roughly half of Neilson's sampling) only 12% said they watched fewer NFL games while 27% said they watched more games, and that only 3% of all respondents said they watched fewer games because of anthem protests while 5.6% said either domestic violence or too many delays and another 2% because of too many commercials.

Or many of a thousand other reasons that there is a decline in ratings.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that finding the reasoning behind a trend from a 0.01% sample is pretty easy. Especially when that proposed reason lines up with your own opinions.

Edit: Not directed toward you, but more toward people that try and point to any singular reason for the decline in ratings.
NFL ratings are down and it's been a consistent decline. we can debate why, personally I think it's more the actual on field product but that's for another thread.

Then NFL is in "crisis" mode here and they have several issues they need to fix..

If Football players want to kneel, fine. If actresses/actors want to bash the president/government on all their award shows, fine. I personally don't care what they say. There are bigger issues that no one talks about. This is a symptom, not the cause. Not to mention the horrors that go on in North Korea, Venezuela and other places around the world.

I want to see the rich do something other than protest, then I will listen. Until then, they can zip it.

In terms of Pitt Players, again, they can do what they want. But I can choose to watch or not. That is the point of a free society.

Reactions: BFo8
I don't like how every venue on TV seems to be political. I sit down in my living room to watch a game, or tune into ESPN, or watch a show I want to be entertained because that is why they are on TV. I don't need political or social events from these venues invading my entertainment time in my living room. When I want that kind of stuff I go to Fox, CNN or local news because that's what they get paid to do and that's why I pay my cable bill. I am just so sick of this political/social BS the past 12 months.

NFL ratings are down and it's been a consistent decline. we can debate why, personally I think it's more the actual on field product but that's for another thread.

Then NFL is in "crisis" mode here and they have several issues they need to fix..
The bigger problem IMO is that three first three Steeler games, even an OT game, have been really dull. And that seems to be the norm for all nfl games of late.

The bigger problem IMO is that three first three Steeler games, even an OT game, have been really dull. And that seems to be the norm for all nfl games of late.
dude, I agree 100%. freakin painful to watch and I love the steelers. cant put a finger on why though? I mean, these rules now are so geared to help offensive passing but still, it's boring as hell. I find offensive bursts exciting and I find dominant defensive displays exciting but we aren't getting either.

I don't like how every venue on TV seems to be political. I sit down in my living room to watch a game, or tune into ESPN, or watch a show I want to be entertained because that is why they are on TV. I don't need political or social events from these venues invading my entertainment time in my living room. When I want that kind of stuff I go to Fox, CNN or local news because that's what they get paid to do and that's why I pay my cable bill. I am just so sick of this political/social BS the past 12 months.
In this case i attribute most of it to largely liberal folks controlling direct content in programming and news (as opposed to the executives counting the money in board rooms, more apt to be conservative). The liberal content providers got very angry (and kind of exposed as unaware) that their candidate didn't win. They can't actually outright program shows that are strictly vehicles to complain about this, to try to soothe themselves and antagonize their opposition. But they sure as heck can write their anger and agendas into the content of every show and newscast (and increasingly sports events too) yet continue to pretend to be above it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpripper88 and BFo8
dude, I agree 100%. freakin painful to watch and I love the steelers. cant put a finger on why though? I mean, these rules now are so geared to help offensive passing but still, it's boring as hell. I find offensive bursts exciting and I find dominant defensive displays exciting but we aren't getting either.
I think part of it is concern over protecting QB to the max (so most offenses are more boring drop back pocket offenses with quick dink and dunk passes meant to limit hits on the QB). Plus that same old coaches protect themselves and recirculate and hire each other continuously. And the programmed parity.

But also that every player is big strong fast and elite on all sides, yet the field itself is limited by the same dimensions. It lends uniformity and blandness.

Edit. Let me add, all the incessant reviews and delays that occur, adding to all the commercials.

Last edited:
actually for the most part it does. You can't threaten anyone, but other than that you can say whatever you want and NOT get sent to jail. Being fired from your job or removed from the premises of a stadium are not shielded by first

That is simply factually incorrect. The First Amendment only says that the government can't impinge on your right to free speech. It says nothing at all about private citizens or organizations. If you burn the American flag in a public park the government can't arrest you for that. But your employer can fire you, a fraternal organization that you belong to can expel you, your church could excommunicate you, and so on. And you'd have no legal recourse wrt the First Amendment, because the First Amendment applies to the government, and only the government.

Reactions: brickfhouse
it isn't like the threat of boycott will work, nobody comes to the games anyway. It could help with recruiting, it would definitely bring national attention to the school. And maybe give the media something else to focus on in case Rice beats them.
Absolutely not

That is simply factually incorrect. The First Amendment only says that the government can't impinge on your right to free speech. It says nothing at all about private citizens or organizations. If you burn the American flag in a public park the government can't arrest you for that. But your employer can fire you, a fraternal organization that you belong to can expel you, your church could excommunicate you, and so on. And you'd have no legal recourse wrt the First Amendment, because the First Amendment applies to the government, and only the government.

I could have sworn my post only mentioned not getting sent to jail/prison for your speech?

Reactions: Jpripper88
well, you could always nip it in the bud by having folks in the stands start saying the Lord's Prayer....that will get them off their knees in no time lest they been thought to be in prayer.
This made me LOL.

I thought it was just me getting older (46). 20 years ago, I was buying hats, jerseys, and would never miss a game. I'd watch any football game, college or pro, no matter who played (OK, well except Boise State at home). Anymore, I don't think I've sat and watched a full NFL game start to finish on TV for 3 years. It just seems, as others put it, boring.

Reactions: Swervin27
It should be. They wanna protest over something stupid then retire and do it the right way.

Aren't you the same poster who said the other day that Hitler might've improved Germany, and that it's hard to say since you weren't living there at the time?
Right.

That's what I thought.
Well you're around a lot of like-minded folks here at Pantherlair.
Plenty of people like you right in this thread.

I could have sworn my post only mentioned not getting sent to jail/prison for your speech?

Actually your original post mentioned a guy burning the flag and I asked you a question about where it was done, because where it was done is the most important part of the discussion. Since you didn't bother to answer that question I could only assume that you had no idea what you were talking about, because the First Amendment doesn't prevent you from being arrested or getting fired or any other consequences from anyone other than the government.

My original response was to the person who said that the players could do whatever they wanted because the First Amendment guarantees them that right. That is absolutely 100% incorrect.

Players kneeling would be the excuse I need to not renew next year. Already on the fence with living out of area and not making it back as much. Plus could always get tickets much cheaper on Stubhub for the games that I come up for.

Stupid,
A yinzer is a 20th-century term playing on the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania second-person plural vernacular "yinz." The word is used among people who identify themselves with the city of Pittsburgh and its traditions.
Additionally, it has morphed into a derogatory term of the dumbest people from that region (aka Trump voters).
You mean Democrats &?supporters of its idiot mayor

That's a great stat as long as you don't take into account the fact that some NFL Network-only games were also broadcast on network television last year, or that ratings don't take into account games streamed on the internet, or that there was this little hurricane that hit during week 1, or that a Thursday night game featuring San Francisco (the team that started all of this) was up almost 40% over ratings from the same week last year.

Or that in a J.D. Power poll of 9,200 people that attended a professional sporting event in 2016 (roughly half of Neilson's sampling) only 12% said they watched fewer NFL games while 27% said they watched more games, and that only 3% of all respondents said they watched fewer games because of anthem protests while 5.6% said either domestic violence or too many delays and another 2% because of too many commercials.

Or many of a thousand other reasons that there is a decline in ratings.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that finding the reasoning behind a trend from a 0.01% sample is pretty easy. Especially when that proposed reason lines up with your own opinions.

Edit: Not directed toward you, but more toward people that try and point to any singular reason for the decline in ratings.
What games have been exclusively on NFL Network this year? I'd be really interested to hear that.

First things first, the poll was for 2016, so before this really blew up. Interesting way of presenting the statistics, though. Even for last year, of the fans who said they watched less, 26% of them said it was because of the anthem protests. Completely wrong about the 5.6% on domestic violence or too many delays, as that number was 24% of respondents who said they watched less and, thus, were 2.8% of total respondents. Interesting take of doubling that number. I am sure it was a mistake.

BTW, cord cutting only accounted for 0.5% based on that poll, so that argument goes out the window pretty quickly, if you are basing anything on that survey.

I certainly am not cutting out the NFL because of the idiotic "protesting" and kneeling, but there is no doubt there are people who are and if it continues it will hurt the NFL's business. The owners certainly believe it will and are trying to find a way not to alienate their simple minded employees or their simple minded fans.

And not all them that were shot were unarmed and innocent. Some were and some werent. They were wrong on both sides.
This is the thing that hurts the "protests" more than anything. Anytime they reference someone like Michael Brown their argument goes out the door.

That's right, but where did he do it? The First Amendment says the government can't limit your right to free speech. It absolutely does not say that Pitt or Heinz Field or a private employer cannot limit your speech. If someone runs out onto the field on Saturday and exercises their "First Amendment rights" to burn an American flag at the 50 yard line they can and will be arrested and if the case is pursued they will be found guilty.

The First Amendment does not give people the right to say whatever they want whenever they want to. You'd think by now people would understand that.
Yes, it does. It just doesn't give them right to do that in private areas without expulsion or forgive them of another crime.

In your example they wouldn't be found guilty of burning the American flag, if it was their property. They would likely be charged with trespassing and destruction of property (for the damage to the field) and any number of other crimes, but nothing for the actual flag burning.

And not all them that were shot were unarmed and innocent. Some were and some werent. They were wrong on both sides.
This is the thing that hurts the "protests" more than anything. Anytime they reference someone like Michael Brown their argument goes out the door.
Yeah but they keep using him as an example anyway. They just want something to complain about.

What games have been exclusively on NFL Network this year? I'd be really interested to hear that.

First things first, the poll was for 2016, so before this really blew up. Interesting way of presenting the statistics, though. Even for last year, of the fans who said they watched less, 26% of them said it was because of the anthem protests. Completely wrong about the 5.6% on domestic violence or too many delays, as that number was 24% of respondents who said they watched less and, thus, were 2.8% of total respondents. Interesting take of doubling that number. I am sure it was a mistake.

BTW, cord cutting only accounted for 0.5% based on that poll, so that argument goes out the window pretty quickly, if you are basing anything on that survey.

I certainly am not cutting out the NFL because of the idiotic "protesting" and kneeling, but there is no doubt there are people who are and if it continues it will hurt the NFL's business. The owners certainly believe it will and are trying to find a way not to alienate their simple minded employees or their simple minded fans.
I hope they keep protesting. Will save me a lot of time and money.

See that, barkleyfamily?
Told ya a lot of people agreed with your views.
Just b/c they didn't march under your flag in Charlottesville doesn't mean they don't agree with you or are at least willing to overlook it.

Kneel, no. But I would love to see some or all of our black players stand there with a fist raised.

How do know i have a flag? Maybe i dont.
If i did they probably try and take it away.

lol it would be nice if they did, but they won't even speak out against you on Pantherlair. Reason being is they secretly agree with you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT