ADVERTISEMENT

Should there be a team tournament?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
As someone who isnt a wrestling fan, I would watch Pitt wrestle some team in an NCAA Tournament with the winner obviously moving on. Rooting for my school in a team tournament environment would get me to watch. Are there others like me? And is that a way to grow the sport?

Reactions: lucac
The main problem is that the NCAA only sponsors one championship, and that's obviously very popular. A team tournament would be really cool, and 3rd parties have tried to somewhat limited success due to lack of full sport-wide participation.

It would be great but like bwh said the NCAA only sponsors 1 championship. But id be really into a team tournament personally and would think the viewership would be pretty strong

It would be great but like bwh said the NCAA only sponsors 1 championship. But id be really into a team tournament personally and would think the viewership would be pretty strong
It’s a great idea but there’s not really a way to make it work that I’ve seen.

Reactions: lucac
When I wrestled collegiality, what was really cool was the true national duals and I believe it was the top 12 or 16 teams in every division in a bracket and it was so cool. now the best teams don’t wanna face each other for whatever reason. If they would ever go back to that the way it was not the current state, that’s basically answering your question.

Reactions: jctrack
When I wrestled collegiality, what was really cool was the true national duals and I believe it was the top 12 or 16 teams in every division in a bracket and it was so cool. now the best teams don’t wanna face each other for whatever reason. If they would ever go back to that the way it was not the current state, that’s basically answering your question.
Collegiality? Couldn't you say, "When I wrestled in college."? I strained both of my seventy year old brain cells trying to read that!!! I think I will go lay down.

The main problem is that the NCAA only sponsors one championship, and that's obviously very popular. A team tournament would be really cool, and 3rd parties have tried to somewhat limited success due to lack of full sport-wide participation.
I mean, yea, they only sponsor one championship but would it be that difficult to have a 32 team or 64 team tournament with a sold-out "Final Four" and then the next week or week after have the individual championships? How does the PIAA do it? I think one of wrestling's issues is that its not really a team sport and casual fans or non-fans like me can't get into rooting for Billy, who I dont even know. If there was some team tournament to point towards, I think it would grow the sport.

I suspect we will see one as some influential social media folks are pushing for it and may be putting one on themselves. I think its a good idea, but just like in HS it is nice for the teams and fans of teams that participate, but it doesnt draw from other fan bases very well, while the Individual tournament draws the more casual fan of wrestling.

I mean, yea, they only sponsor one championship but would it be that difficult to have a 32 team or 64 team tournament with a sold-out "Final Four" and then the next week or week after have the individual championships? How does the PIAA do it? I think one of wrestling's issues is that its not really a team sport and casual fans or non-fans like me can't get into rooting for Billy, who I dont even know. If there was some team tournament to point towards, I think it would grow the sport.
It doesn’t work late in the season. 2 weeks prior to nationals teams compete in their conference tournaments to qualify for nationals. The wrestlers take a little break at end of season to prepare for nationals. A 32 team tourney just would not work. That would be 5 matches for the top teams. They would not sell out a final 4 unless both Iowa and PSU are in it and it is reasonably close to both of them. Also most all the top four teams wrestle each other dual meets already.

Reactions: jctrack
Wrestling is not like basketball the 32nd ranked team would have zero shot at pulling an upset any year. Penn State beat Iowa (#2) 6 matches to 4 and beat Michigan (#3) 8 matches to 2, now there would be some really exciting duals from teams 4-16 depending on match ups but only home team and big time wrestling fans would give a sh*t.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT