ADVERTISEMENT

Simply put, best effort of the year

NCanton Panther

All American
Sep 22, 2001
May sound strange given that they really had to scrap to beat Canisius but I thought that was our Panthers best effort and most complete game of the year.

That’s based mostly on the latter half of the 2nd half but that part of the game was just so good on both sides of the ball. Defense had a few lapses that gave Canisius some wide open 3!s but otherwise clamped down on them very nicely once they went to the zone.

And the offense was a pleasure to watch, actually working the ball under control and getting a good balance of outside shot-making and good passing to get guys easy baskets in the paint.

And within that nice controlled team BB there were still a good number of individual efforts by a number of guys, whether making clutch shots, controlled drives to the hoop and hustle plays to save loose balls (looking at you Jeffress on one particular play).

Job well done, enjoyed watching that better than a 30-or blowout win.

Reactions: hoclaw
That’s based mostly on the latter half of the 2nd half

In other words, the only part of the game where we exhibited any effort.

The defense tonight was awful, mostly due to a LACK of effort. They shot 68% on twos and 38% on threes, in large part because we only guarded them moderately closer than we did on the ones, where they shot 100%.

With our youth (only Hinson being in his last year), these games will help develop character immensely. With the portal, everything's a question mark, but these are the ones that help build and strengthen a team.

I thought the effort in the last 5-10 minutes was great but not so much until then. Seemed like we got all the loose balls at the end and Blake was on the floor and got them which was what you want to see.

In other words, the only part of the game where we exhibited any effort.

The defense tonight was awful, mostly due to a LACK of effort. They shot 68% on twos and 38% on threes, in large part because we only guarded them moderately closer than we did on the ones, where they shot 100%.
Yeah -
Not sure why but took so long for us to up the defensive pressure and intensity .

Canisius has some nice players , for sure - but we played their game for too much of the game

I thought the effort in the last 5-10 minutes was great but not so much until then. Seemed like we got all the loose balls at the end and Blake was on the floor and got them which was what you want to see.
I think it was longer than just the last 5-10 minutes or definitely closer to 10 than 5.

In any case, in that portion of the game it was the 1st time all year I’ve really been impressed with their offense. I don’t think they’ve really shown much team offense in their prior blowout wins, primarily just guys chucking it up from outside and, if not going in being able to rebound abd score because of the lesser competition. And the prior losses to the p5 opponents, if the outside shots weren’t dropping nothing on the inside or in the paint to fall back on.

Granted yesterday the competition wasn’t at the same level as the P5 opponents. Nonetheless, it just seemed to me like the first time they effectively passed the ball for both outside and inside scoring.

On defense, they shut them down pretty good once in the zone aside from a couple lapses and the flimsy foul call on Blake.

It’s funny when Pitt shoots the ball well it’s great offense and when another team moves the ball well and makes shots it’s lack of effort on D !

Reactions: gilligan 3
It’s funny when Pitt shoots the ball well it’s great offense and when another team moves the ball well and makes shots it’s lack of effort on D !
We’ve shot the ball well in some prior games that I wouldn’t call great offense. Yesterday I saw something better.

But in general, I get your point.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Canisius is actually 144th in NET, not completely terrible.

South Carolina St is 338th, so maybe we’ll get another 20-30 blowout there.

Purdue Fort Wayne was the team that worried me the most going into this “easy” stretch. They’re 10-1 with their only loss coming to a pretty solid San Francisco team… they’re 76 in NET. That’s higher than several power conference schools.

It's even funnier that some people think they really know basketball but they have no idea what the difference between good offense and bad defense is.

Purdue Fort Wayne was the team that worried me the most going into this “easy” stretch. They’re 10-1 with their only loss coming to a pretty solid San Francisco team… they’re 76 in NET. That’s higher than several power conference schools.
They are 152 Kenpom

They are 152 Kenpom
I thought KenPom trended a bit closer to NET than that, but I forget the exact differences between the two. Pitt is 41 NET/51 KenPom.

Either way, seems like it could be a tough opponent on paper without looking too much into it, but we’ll see how they match up.

It's even funnier that some people think they really know basketball but they have no idea what the difference between good offense and bad defense is.
It's always such a positive experience interacting with you . You must be such a miserable individual .

Making multiple passes and finding the open player is good offense by the way .

Canisius is a nice team and will have a shot at NCAA tourney.

S Car St is completely horrible and we’ll need to win by more than 30 to help the NET.

IPFW is a really nice team that can score the ball.

Reactions: str61166
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT