ADVERTISEMENT

SMF Pitt/ND soccer preview

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
For those doing the double tomorrow, the Pitt/ND Elite 8 game is on at 5 on ACCNX.

This is the first game all season that I am going into not expecting Pitt to win. I think they can win but Notre Dame is a very bad matchup. I know I bragged about Alabama and all that but this team has battled many injuries and suspensions. When you only get 9.9 scholarships for an 11 v 11 sport, it's hard to overcome this.

Veljko Petkovic, who Top Drawer Soccer ranked as the best player in the nation last played on October 1 and was eventually kicked off the team. Just a massive blow. This is a kid who I think will eventually play for the US National team in some of their B/C friendlies/Gold Cup. Immensely talented player who played with USMNT guys Gio Reyna and James Sands on NYCFC's age group teams.

Rodrigo Almeida, the leading goal scorer, hasn't played in 4-5 weeks. Well, he did come on for 10 minutes last game and reinjured his hamstring so he's probably done.

ND is the best defensive team I've seen. They haven't given up a goal since October 29. Pitt has played them 2 times this season, for 200 minutes, and has yet to score. Yes, we were shorthanded in both games but we are on Saturday as well.

ND is so well drilled defensively that its almost impossible to score on them unless you have that 1 guy who can do something individually, a guy like Petkovic or Almeida. The good news for Pitt is they are so talented, they have other guys who can find that moment of magic. Bertin Jacquesson is playing the best soccer of his life right now so look for him. But ND also has one of the best players in the nation in Jack Lynn who is just waiting, lurking, to burn Pitt on a counter. Pitt pushes so high that they leave their defenders in a lot of 1v1s that they end up conceding, doing this.

In the end, I think Pitt can win but I don't think they can score 2 goals or keep a clean sheet. I see a 2-1 ND win or maybe in OT. I think we could possibly see a 1-1 draw with the College Cup berth be decided on the coin flip of PKs

Then Pitt should just play for the 0-0 tie and win in the shootout.

For those doing the double tomorrow, the Pitt/ND Elite 8 game is on at 5 on ACCNX.

This is the first game all season that I am going into not expecting Pitt to win. I think they can win but Notre Dame is a very bad matchup. I know I bragged about Alabama and all that but this team has battled many injuries and suspensions. When you only get 9.9 scholarships for an 11 v 11 sport, it's hard to overcome this.

Veljko Petkovic, who Top Drawer Soccer ranked as the best player in the nation last played on October 1 and was eventually kicked off the team. Just a massive blow. This is a kid who I think will eventually play for the US National team in some of their B/C friendlies/Gold Cup. Immensely talented player who played with USMNT guys Gio Reyna and James Sands on NYCFC's age group teams.

Rodrigo Almeida, the leading goal scorer, hasn't played in 4-5 weeks. Well, he did come on for 10 minutes last game and reinjured his hamstring so he's probably done.

ND is the best defensive team I've seen. They haven't given up a goal since October 29. Pitt has played them 2 times this season, for 200 minutes, and has yet to score. Yes, we were shorthanded in both games but we are on Saturday as well.

ND is so well drilled defensively that its almost impossible to score on them unless you have that 1 guy who can do something individually, a guy like Petkovic or Almeida. The good news for Pitt is they are so talented, they have other guys who can find that moment of magic. Bertin Jacquesson is playing the best soccer of his life right now so look for him. But ND also has one of the best players in the nation in Jack Lynn who is just waiting, lurking, to burn Pitt on a counter. Pitt pushes so high that they leave their defenders in a lot of 1v1s that they end up conceding, doing this.

In the end, I think Pitt can win but I don't think they can score 2 goals or keep a clean sheet. I see a 2-1 ND win or maybe in OT. I think we could possibly see a 1-1 draw with the College Cup berth be decided on the coin flip of PK

In the end, I think Pitt can win but I don't think they can score 2 goals or keep a clean sheet. I see a 2-1 ND win or maybe in OT. I think we could possibly see a 1-1 draw with the College Cup berth be decided on the coin flip of PKs
I admit to knowing very
little about soccer. Your
previous comparison to
Alabama made little sense
at the time. However I
now see where you were
coming from. You can be
more talented, outplay
your opponent and still
lose. Personally I think
that's crazy, but I guess
that's the way it is in this
sport.

So maybe this time the
table will be reversed and
we'll hopefully beat a team
that might be better because
of our injuries.

Yep. Tomorrow’s game is a coin flip although the best player in the game is the ND forward. But last year we were the best team in the Final 4 and didn’t make it into the Final. So Anything can happen.

Reactions: CaPAPITT76
why did petkovich get tossed? seems weird considering the exact same thing happened to kizza two years ago.

You write a big post mostly praising Notre Dame as a very good team, which is hilarious because you spent all last season and the early part of this season insisting that good teams simply don't play the way that Notre Dame does and that if a team like that was really any good they would never play that way at all.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yep...that happened to us last year in the College Cup vs Indiana.

I admit to knowing very
little about soccer. Your
previous comparison to
Alabama made little sense
at the time. However I
now see where you were
coming from. You can be
more talented, outplay
your opponent and still

lose. Personally I think
that's crazy, but I guess
that's the way it is in this
sport.

So maybe this time the
table will be reversed and
we'll hopefully beat a team
that might be better because
of our injuries.

You write a big post mostly praising Notre Dame as a very good team, which is hilarious because you spent all last season and the early part of this season insisting that good teams simply don't play the way that Notre Dame does and that if a team like that was really any good they would never play that way at all.

ND absolutely does not sit back and defend all game. They are very good offensively. Lynn is one of the best players in the nation and they have very skilled offensive players. Their Center Backs are just so good. Now I know why the Adbulnadi kid transferred to us. He wasn't going to play. ND isnt a "sit back and lets defend the whole game team." Absolutely not. They are good offensively and elite defensively.

This will be a exceptionally tough game to win. Good thing they are playing it on a pitch and not on paper.

ND absolutely does not sit back and defend all game. They are very good offensively. Lynn is one of the best players in the nation and they have very skilled offensive players. Their Center Backs are just so good. Now I know why the Adbulnadi kid transferred to us. He wasn't going to play. ND isnt a "sit back and lets defend the whole game team." Absolutely not. They are good offensively and elite defensively.

Notre Dame is a sit back and absorb pressure and then hit you on the counter attack team. The exact kind of team that Indiana was last year when you declared that teams that play that way only do so because they aren't very good and that no good teams actually play that way.

It's "almost" as if you have no idea what you are watching.

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT