ADVERTISEMENT

So do we hate Capel again or still love him?

And as I said before the dior situation shows Capel's stupidity. Taking a kid to Europe when he was booted was dumb. He should have planned without him and if he got him it was gravy. That is what an intelligent coach does. He knew for 9 months and the entire recruiting period that Dior was booted pending appeal . He could have easily planned without him.
He barely played in europe
Stop it

He barely played in europe
Stop it
That just
Planning without him meant eliminating him. They had 13 scholarships with him and room for no one else. He obviously wanted to keep him on the roster. Your view is 100% hindsight. You would be singing a different song had it worked out.
It's not hindsight the kid should never been on appeal for what he did. Capel should have let him go. The school already had. The kids second chance should have come from some place else. Luckily the university was the adult in the room on this one.

That just

It's not hindsight the kid should never been on appeal for what he did. Capel should have let him go. The school already had. The kids second chance should have come from some place else. Luckily the university was the adult in the room on this one.
I agree the kid should have been removed from school. I've said that before.

But this discussion was about the roster and Capel wanted him for his BB skillset. I'm highly doubting that you said anything until the expulsion actually happened. Thus, hindsight.

I agree the kid should have been removed from school. I've said that before.

But this discussion was about the roster and Capel wanted him for his BB skillset. I'm highly doubting that you said anything until the expulsion actually happened. Thus, hindsight.
Wrong I was very vocal about getting rid of him. I also have been very vocal about getting rid of our bum of a coach.
There are 2 posters I have argued with vehemently about both issues.
The topic being discussed was do we love or hate Capel now. Which many gave their 2 cents on both.

The roster was being brought up as excuse for why we are so bad. Which is my point. No more excuses. Just look at the wording of the post I chimed in on and the posts it was responding to. It was an excuse.

Wrong I was very vocal about getting rid of him. I also have been very vocal about getting rid of our bum of a coach.
The topic being discussed was do we love or hate Capel now. Which many gave their 2 cents on both.

The roster was being brought up as excuse for why we are so bad. Which is my point. No more excuses. Just look at the wording of the post I chimed in on and the posts it was responding to. It was an excuse.

I also said Dior should be kicked off the team. I dont agree with "double punishment" unless its what I consider to be a serious crime and hitting a woman falls under that. Taking a joyride in a stolen car, stealing a laptop, getting into a fight in a bar.....0 game suspension for me. We have laws to punish that. That said, once the decision was made to allow him back on the basketball team, you cant kick him off for something he already did.

I never used it as an excuse and you continue to continue to argue with me. Your bias against Capel is causing you to stretch debatable points to the limit.

I never used it as an excuse and you continue to continue to argue with me. Your bias against Capel is causing you to stretch debatable points to the limit.
Bringing it up is an excuse otherwise why reference it.
"Yeah the season sucks"
"Well he did have a different roster in mind"
Excuses not a stretch at all

"Yeah the season sucks"
Yeah, setting aside the morals and ethics and optics of keeping Dior Johnson around after the domestic violence/strangulation, it simply left an element of volatility to the roster that could have been avoided with more prudent decisions a year ago. You can't ignore Capel's negligence here.

Yeah, setting aside the morals and ethics and optics of keeping Dior Johnson around after the domestic violence/strangulation, it simply left an element of volatility to the roster that could have been avoided with more prudent decisions a year ago. You can't ignore Capel's negligence here.
Exactly. He got lucky with Horton and JH

Taking Dior Johnson completely out of the equation.

Papa Kante is the highest rated 4 star recruit on our entire roster. This fact is not debatable.

Papa Kante had by far the best offer sheet of any recruit on our roster or any recruit in the Capel era. Kante had offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, Michigan, Maryland, Miami, Illinois, Syracuse, TCU, Georgetown, etc..

Papa Kante had really good EYBL numbers on offense and defense. He was also the top rebounding player on Pitt's team in his only game he played in Spain.

This is a substantial loss anyway we slice it because we need a quality center badly. He is a big, physical, quick big that is Elite on defense and plays with an extremely high motor. His wingspan is 7'5 and bigger than Dejaun Blair.

You can beat the Dior dead horse all you want. Losing Kante was big. And I hate to break it to you, but there was absolutely zero chance this player was redshirting this year. He would have played substantial minutes just like Lowe and Carrington.

Hate is too strong a word for me. I am more apt to use frustrated, however, I will give him appreciation for making round of 32 and bringing excitement back after stallings destroyed the program. Whether it could have been done quicker is debatable, but we can’t turn back time. The question is could Pitt actually get someone better…He hit on some pieces early on and his recruiting has picked up. If Bub comes back, so must Capel. If he can land Thomas, he has too stay as it only takes a few to make a run. But this age of basketball is about money and making a run in one season. Is he the best coach for that? But if not, then which coach will want to come here after we can a coach who did turn around 0-19…

Taking Dior Johnson completely out of the equation.

Papa Kante is the highest rated 4 star recruit on our entire roster. This fact is not debatable.

Papa Kante had by far the best offer sheet of any recruit on our roster or any recruit in the Capel era. Kante had offers from Alabama, Tennessee, Kansas, Michigan, Maryland, Miami, Illinois, Syracuse, TCU, Georgetown, etc..

Papa Kante had really good EYBL numbers on offense and defense. He was also the top rebounding player on Pitt's team in his only game he played in Spain.

This is a substantial loss anyway we slice it because we need a quality center badly. He is a big, physical, quick big that is Elite on defense and plays with an extremely high motor. His wingspan is 7'5 and bigger than Dejaun Blair.

You can beat the Dior dead horse all you want. Losing Kante was big. And I hate to break it to you, but there was absolutely zero chance this player was redshirting this year. He would have played substantial minutes just like Lowe and Carrington.

I am not buying that a true freshman big would have been much better than GDG or Fede. Frosh bigs usually arent too impactful unless they are the 1 and Done types

But this age of basketball is about money and making a run in one season. Is he the best coach for that? But if not, then which coach will want to come here after we can a coach who did turn around 0-19…

This is a good point. In this day and age, coaching is more important than recruiting. These are all 1 year AAU teams, basically. And coaches dont need to "sell" as much anymore to recruits as they need to do to the big donors to buy them players. Players are mostly going to go to the highest bidder so coaches need to be able to manage the "money pot" and raise pay for play NIL funds from the donors. But if you have a good coach and enough NIL, you should be able to make the tournament most years. Miami is a perfect example of this. Non-traditional program but good coach and good NIL

I am not buying that a true freshman big would have been much better than GDG or Fede. Frosh bigs usually arent too impactful unless they are the 1 and Done types
He’s an actual post with size and strength
Would he be “better”?
I don’t know - but I’d sure like another option available .
My hunch is his defense would be better .

He’s an actual post with size and strength
Would he be “better”?
I don’t know - but I’d sure like another option available .
My hunch is his defense would be better .

I'd like another option too but you cannot rely on freshman bigs. They are very raw, especially defensively. I dont think he wins us an extra game. Dior, though, if he was as good as his rank is a massive, massive loss. Could be worth 5-6 wins if he was that good

Let me put it this way.

John Hugley averaged 5 points per game and 4 rebounds per game in 15 minutes of action at Pitt as a freshmen. Not only was Kante rated higher with a far better offer sheet, his EYBL stats were far superior to Hugley.

Kante was the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the entire EYBL. Generally speaking in the EYBL, the top 8 rebounding bigs produce early, maybe top 10 bigs that lead in rebounds per game. Obviously some guys bust, some are buried on the depth chart, some recruiting classes are weak etc.. But if you are a top rebounding big and leader in the EYBL in rebounds, the expectation is to produce as a freshmen.

One of the reasons Kante is rated lower is lack of athletic ability. Same with Adama Sanogo as why he was rated lower in the high school ranks who Kante is comparable to.

The #7 center in the country would have definitely made an impact especially considering how bad Fede has been. He also has a lot more core strength than other other bigs, which would have been nice against Bacot. It's rare we beat out schools like Michigan and Memphis for a recruit.

I'm not making excuses for Capel; I like him but he needs to be judged by his record this many years in. So we'll see how he finishes this seasons.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
"Yeah the season sucks"
I never implied it was an excuse nor used the word "excuse". My point was solely your silly argument about roster construction. Now you want to double-down and lie about what I said. That's your admission of a bad argument.

I'd like another option too but you cannot rely on freshman bigs. They are very raw, especially defensively. I dont think he wins us an extra game. Dior, though, if he was as good as his rank is a massive, massive loss. Could be worth 5-6 wins if he was that good
If we had a Gary McGhee type of player we’d be better and may have won a Couple more .

Defense is the biggest weakness of this team , especially in the post .

I never implied it was an excuse nor used the word "excuse". My point was solely your silly argument about roster construction. Now you want to double-down and lie about what I said. That's your admission of a bad argument.
Sure you implied by injecting it into a thread about how bad the team is.
So why bring it up in this thread?
Btw my initial response you want to debate was to a different posters comment

Last edited:
Btw my initial response you want to debate was to a different posters comment not you. But you can't help your self....ever
Buddy
Move on

There are generally only 2-4 frosh centers who make an impact, and when I say impact, I mean affect wins and losses. I dont think he changes our W-L record
There is no way of knowing of course. And we haven't had any losses by a single possession either. But Federiko has had some terrible +/- games: in three ACC games, he has 10 fouls and 11 rebounds while shooting 0 for 6 from the foul line.

I don't know where your two to four number comes from. Do you watch every MAC or Sun Belt or SWAC team and know which one has a center that helps them get a win?

If we had a Gary McGhee type of player we’d be better and may have won a Couple more .

Of course. But expecting the "7th best" center recruit to be Junior/Senior Gary McGhee is fantasy-type stuff. McGhee himself was God awful for 2 years on both ends. I dont think Kante would have been better defensively. Where you COULD make a case is rebounding and perhaps offensively. Rebounding translates to every level so if the kid is a plus rebounder, he could have been better than our 2

Why is Kentucky basketball so bad as well. No final fours in 8 years. Is it bad coaching? NIL? Like I get people want a return to glory days, but if Cal is struggling…it ain’t easy.

I’ve counted 30 redundant posts by you on this topic
That’s been enough
No one invited you to be the board monitor. Too bad you keep getting kicked off the board only to get a new handle
That's at least 5 handles you have had now.

Btw my initial response you want to debate was to a different posters comment
I replied to a specific post and not to a thread topic. I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed. Or is it a special rule that you apply when you're wrong?

I replied to a specific post and not to a thread topic. I wasn't aware that wasn't allowed. Or is it a special rule that you apply when you're wrong
So please show me where you had a roster conversation in this thread. scroll up and post me a screen shot. Thats why you couldn't answer my question....your discussion doesn't exist.
You are making this up entirely. I replied to protes not some discussion you were having.. you have one comment in this this thread a reply to smf.
Talk about who is wrong. Unreal you are this still arguing and tripling down on this.
Or do you magically speak for other posters because your super power is knowing what others think?

Last edited:
No one invited you to be the board monitor. Too bad you keep getting kicked off the board only to get a new handle
That's at least 5 handles you have had now.
Is this all you have left ?
You’d have to ask peak why Souf was banned .

We get it -
You want to get rid of Capel
You’ve made the same point dozens of times in this thread alone

He’s going to get next season at least so wrap your head around that reality and move on

Is this all you have left ?
You’d have to ask peak why Souf was banned .

We get it -
You want to get rid of Capel
You’ve made the same point dozens of times in this thread alone

He’s going to get next season at least so wrap your head around that reality and move on
Soufie gonna soufie....
Are you sure you got it? I don't think you do.

Last edited:
So please show me where you had a roster conversation in this thread. scroll up and post me a screen shot. Thats why you couldn't answer my question....your discussion doesn't exist.
You are making this up entirely. I replied to protes not some discussion you were having.. you have one comment in this this thread a reply to smf.
Talk about who is wrong. Unreal you are this still arguing and tripling down on this.
Or do you magically speak for other posters because your super power is knowing what others think?
See posts #45 and #74.

Is your memory really this bad or are you lying to hide your bad argument?

See posts #45 and #74.

Is your memory really this bad or are you lying to hide your bad argument?
What are you talking about you have 1 (not roster related btw) post before you responded to my post. You weren't in any roster discussions until you responded to me amd kept responding to me then you send me posts numbers responding to. Are you really this bad at showing facts? Which pretzel factory do you work at?
You are flailing.

Last edited:

Agree if you are talking Jr or Sr Gary. This type of player would be starting C and make a difference.

But frosh Gary could barley walk and chew gum at the same time. As a frosh and soph he put up 1 pt and 1 rebound per game. He made his big jump as a Jr.

What are you talking about you have 1 (not roster related btw) post before you responded to my post. You weren't in any roster discussions until you responded to me amd kept responding to me then you send me posts numbers responding to. Are you really this bad at showing facts? Which pretzel factory do you work at?
You are flailing.
Wow. Are you actually claiming that I shouldn't be able to comment on your post about roster construction unless I posted on roster construction prior to you? When did this become a rule?

Let me give you a rule. When you post on a public forum, people can reply to your post and say anything they want, even if it is a new topic for them.

You really should stop embarrassing yourself, if that is even possible.

Wow. Are you actually claiming that I shouldn't be able to comment on your post about roster construction unless I posted on roster construction prior to you? When did this become a rule?

Let me give you a rule. When you post on a public forum, people can reply to your post and say anything they want, even if it is a new topic for them.

You really should stop embarrassing yourself, if that is even possible.
No that's not what I'm saying.
You replied to me with a lecture as if you were knee deep in the discussion when all you were doing was telling me what you thought other people were thinking. They can do that themselves. You added nothing to the discussion except a nice tone of arrogance which dates back to your locker room days as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT