ADVERTISEMENT

So do we hate Capel again or still love him?

Assuming UNC is a solid top 10 team, there was nothing wrong with Pitt's play, they are simply not a top 25 team as constructed this year. PItt scraped and fought to stay competitive for 3/4 of the game and the talent disparity caught up with them. UNC caught a bit of a break, no way Pitt is that bad from 3point land.

Assuming UNC is a solid top 10 team, there was nothing wrong with Pitt's play, they are simply not a top 25 team as constructed this year. PItt scraped and fought to stay competitive for 3/4 of the game and the talent disparity caught up with them. UNC caught a bit of a break, no way Pitt is that bad from 3point land.
Good take.....

Its a flawed team. Disappointed we arent better. But he still has us at the Dixon 2 level. In fact, while I was in the Pete tonight, I thought this game reminded me of a Dixon 2 game. We fought hard and hung around in a physical game with a more talented team but we couldn't make a shot. Looked a lot like the Dixon 2 teams.

Can Pitt be better than Dixon 2 or Capel 2? Maybe for a year or 2 but probably not. 2002-11 was Late 70s/Early 80s Pitt football. Never happening again.

Its a flawed team. Disappointed we arent better. But he still has us at the Dixon 2 level. In fact, while I was in the Pete tonight, I thought this game reminded me of a Dixon 2 game. We fought hard and hung around in a physical game with a more talented team but we couldn't make a shot. Looked a lot like the Dixon 2 teams.

Can Pitt be better than Dixon 2 or Capel 2? Maybe for a year or 2 but probably not. 2002-11 was Late 70s/Early 80s Pitt football. Never happening again.
I refuse to believe Pitt’s ceiling as a program is barely making the tournament once or twice a decade, which is pretty much the pace Capel is on right now.

He absolutely gets 24-25 unless we go like 2-18 which we will not. This is an NIT team or close to it. If he wants 25-26, he either needs to sign Meleek Thomas in November or get awful close to the NCAAT next year.
This is not an NIT team, they are a bottom feeder team in the ACC. They suck.

I refuse to believe Pitt’s ceiling as a program is barely making the tournament once or twice a decade, which is pretty much the pace Capel is on right now.

I think the ceiling is Dixon 2. 3 in 5 years. Forget Capel's 1st 2 years. It was a massive rebuild without portal help at that time. He will be 1 out of 4 and if he goes next year, that's 2 out of 5, not far off Dixon 2.

I think the ceiling is Dixon 2. 3 in 5 years. Forget Capel's 1st 2 years. It was a massive rebuild without portal help at that time. He will be 1 out of 4 and if he goes next year, that's 2 out of 5, not far off Dixon 2.
I can’t see Capel reaching that bar. He is good at spotting individual talent but struggles to assemble complete teams - even with the portal.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

The first 3 years were freebies with zero expectations. And anyone expecting anything in the first 3 years after that Stallings team finished 0-19 in ACC play that got completely boat raced night in and night out is living in fantasy land. Our program was beyond the death bed at that point.

Tony Bennet is one of the best coaches in the country and he made 1 NCAA tournament in his first 4 years at Virginia. And Virginia was no where near as bad as shape as Pitt was with respect to prestige and facilities. Because of Scott Barnes with the approval of Gallagher, Pitt gave itself a self induced death penalty with Stallings.

With that said, Im still really digging this lineup next year and Ill triple down on my bullishness of Cummings lethal shooting power and Kante being a bull in the block.

Pg- Lowe
Sg- Cummings
Sf- Carrington
Pf- Guillermo
C- Kante

6th man- Leggett

We need 2 quality players for next year and we make a serious run next year. The rest of the players on our roster get reduced roles or leave. And I still think Jorge is capable of breaking out. Maybe 3rd year is the charm like Nate Santos who we really could use right now.

The first 3 years were freebies with zero expectations. And anyone expecting anything in the first 3 years after that Stallings team finished 0-19 in ACC play that got completely boat raced night in and night out is living in fantasy land. Our program was beyond the death bed at that point.

Tony Bennet is one of the best coaches in the country and he made 1 NCAA tournament in his first 4 years at Virginia. And Virginia was no where near as bad as shape as Pitt was with respect to prestige and facilities. Because of Scott Barnes with the approval of Gallagher, Pitt gave itself a self induced death penalty with Stallings.

With that said, Im still really digging this lineup next year and Ill triple down on my bullishness of Cummings lethal shooting power and Kante being a bull in the block.

Pg- Lowe
Sg- Cummings
Sf- Carrington
Pf- Guillermo
C- Kante

6th man- Leggett

We need 2 quality players for next year and we make a serious run next year. The rest of the players on our roster get reduced roles or leave. And I still think Jorge is capable of breaking out. Maybe 3rd year is the charm like Nate Santos who we really could use right now.

My expectation was NCAAT in Year 3. And there was enough talent on that team to do it: Champagnie, Toney, Johnson, McGowens but they hated each other. I only give him a free pass the first 2. So he's going to be 1 for 4. Not terrible. Your lineup next year could be very good but I dont think Bub comes back. I think Cummings is going to be BIG TIME.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Capel absolutely has to take blame at some point for the poor roster construction year after year

I wouldn't say the roster is poorly constructed. We just arent playing up to our capability. We only have 1 bad loss, Missouri and they are a P5 team with talent, not as talented as us but they arent a mid-major. We lost to 3 NCAAT teams and an NIT team on the road. You'd like to win some of those but we arent exactly losing terrible games here

Reactions: Jim Z
I wouldn't say the roster is poorly constructed. We just arent playing up to our capability. We only have 1 bad loss, Missouri and they are a P5 team with talent, not as talented as us but they arent a mid-major. We lost to 3 NCAAT teams and an NIT team on the road. You'd like to win some of those but we arent exactly losing terrible games here
Very true. Game today was closer than the score indicated.

Yes the roster is poorly constructed. Weak big men, an absolute hole at the 3 spot with Austin and Jeffress, a 4 who can spot shoot 3’s and do nothing else and guards who can’t shoot. This team is in desperate need of someone who is long on the wing and can shoot. If only there was someone shooting 52 percent from 3 and averaging 12 a game somewhere at the MM level we could’ve had. Also any physical interior presence. Hes getting one more year, but for once you’re spot on. If Meleek signs elsewhere and they don’t make the tournament next year, because making it this year would be a large miracle, Capel is done after next season. Thomas buys him the next year. And with the already strained relationship with the guys who can buy Thomas….

Reactions: PittPoker
I think a lot of people still had some caution with him despite how last season turned out. Unfortunately, success in college basketball is more fleeting now than I feel like it ever has been. It almost feels like a rebuild every year, and I worry more teams in the ACC may have improved while Pitt has taken a step back.

Not ready to make a grand proclamation on him just yet, but if they aren’t going to be a tournament team this year (and it’s certainly not looking that way), we need to hope they can at least compete and be around the middle of the pack, and then improve upon it next year. And if that doesn’t happen, his days should be numbered.

Capel absolutely has to take blame at some point for the poor roster construction year after year
Yeah. He is almost pathological about leaving himself short on depth every season.

The only time he really got it right was last year, especially with this backcourt. He had depth in the post, even if if it was inexperienced/unproven.

Yes the roster is poorly constructed. Weak big men, an absolute hole at the 3 spot with Austin and Jeffress, a 4 who can spot shoot 3’s and do nothing else and guards who can’t shoot. This team is in desperate need of someone who is long on the wing and can shoot. If only there was someone shooting 52 percent from 3 and averaging 12 a game somewhere at the MM level we could’ve had. Also any physical interior presence. Hes getting one more year, but for once you’re spot on. If Meleek signs elsewhere and they don’t make the tournament next year, because making it this year would be a large miracle, Capel is done after next season. Thomas buys him the next year. And with the already strained relationship with the guys who can buy Thomas….

I questioned the Austin signing in real time. Didn't know him but didnt like his numbers at the low major level. He needed to be a 17-18 PPG game guy there. I also would have kept Jeffress over Santos but credit to Santos for finding his shot. Perhaps he could have played a Greg Elliot role. With him and Dior, this is an NCAAT team. I think the staff (and all of us) want to believe Will can develop some semblance of an offensive game but unfortunately its not going to happen. Pitt's going to have to upgrade there next season and he's going to have transfer down to RMU to be a 10 PPG guy there.

I dont think the season is all lost yet. Lots of winnable games in a bad league but I said we wouldn't make the tournament if we lost that home game vs Clemson so while I would like to hold out hope, I have known this isnt an NCAAT team. A middle of the pack finish and run in the NIT is ok.

The one gripe I have about the roster this year is that it is way too thin at guard.

Its always something, except last year, but the tough break this year was the admin going dip$hit over Dior just as the season was ready to start.

With Dior they didn't really have "depth" at guard, but at least they would have had one more talented guard to either play with, or play for Leggett or Lowe when they are on the bench.

I questioned the Austin signing in real time. Didn't know him but didnt like his numbers at the low major level. He needed to be a 17-18 PPG game guy there. I also would have kept Jeffress over Santos but credit to Santos for finding his shot. Perhaps he could have played a Greg Elliot role. With him and Dior, this is an NCAAT team. I think the staff (and all of us) want to believe Will can develop some semblance of an offensive game but unfortunately its not going to happen. Pitt's going to have to upgrade there next season and he's going to have transfer down to RMU to be a 10 PPG guy there.

I dont think the season is all lost yet. Lots of winnable games in a bad league but I said we wouldn't make the tournament if we lost that home game vs Clemson so while I would like to hold out hope, I have known this isnt an NCAAT team. A middle of the pack finish and run in the NIT is ok.
So a PG you’ve never seen play and Santos put us in the tourney? Have you watched this year’s team at all? Lol. These weird projections by you keep getting weirder

Is the ACC really down this year? Relatively speaking, it's down from where it was say 5-10 years ago, but I think that overall, the bad teams aren't as bad as last year and that the league, on average, will be tougher than last season.

Is the ACC really down this year? Relatively speaking, it's down from where it was say 5-10 years ago, but I think that overall, the bad teams aren't as bad as last year and that the league, on average, will be tougher than last season.

It only has 3 NCAAT teams at the moment

In fairness, Dior and Kante were part of this year's roster construction before stuff happened.

Asking for a friend
My hate never subsided. He sucks. 1 decent year and 5 abysmal ones....hmmmm sounds EXACTLY like his Oklahoma tenure.

But but but.....he isn't the one shooting the ball or playing the game.....neither is any other crap coach in college. His results are his and he owns them

Pg- Lowe
Sg- Cummings
Sf- Carrington
Pf- Guillermo
C- Kante

6th man- Leggett

".....and 35 years of the Pitt basketball team telling me wait till next season..."

I can't stand watching this team when it becomes four guys trying to get the ball to Uncle Blake so he can heave up something with a degree of difficulty of 9.5/10.

This team was always going to have to play differently than last year's unconventional perfect storm of a mishmash. It's not, "Okay, you're the new Burton. You're the new Elliot. Etc." For one, I was hoping that Fede might develop a little bit offensively. Instead, he looks like he spent seven months recovering from an injury or something and didn't touch a basketball all offseason. And the twins... they just are what they are at this point. Guillermo would be fine getting like ten minutes off the bench on a good team. Jorge isn't a legit basketball player at this level. They just don't look anything like those Euro-style 7' shooters Wisconsin used to develop, which I was hoping they would become.

That makes no sense. There was nothing untrue about my comment.
Your comment is the "if only" world and just another Capel apologist comment. Coaches lose players all the time, every year.
The dior situation just shows you how dumb Capel really is, ohh and the hugely situation and the toney situation and on and on and on.....
He has lost his roster every year he has been Herr. Last year was the only year he lost it due to eligibility expiring. We will see who is left on the roster this time next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT