ADVERTISEMENT

So Pitt opens its season in less than a month

and we have no idea who they are playing. Seems like some ACC teams are opening up with their own "tournament." No word on what Pitt is doing.
The lack of communication from the league and schools defies belief. For how many are allowed to but tickets there has to be an effort to entice them. Then when the attendance is below capacity, there will be questions to why fans aren't coming. Somebody in charge please step up!

The lack of communication from the league and schools defies belief. For how many are allowed to but tickets there has to be an effort to entice them. Then when the attendance is below capacity, there will be questions to why fans aren't coming. Somebody in charge please step up!
I have a friend who works very high up at an ACC school (not Pitt) and he told me last week that fans have no idea the mountains that need to be moved to make a season happen right now. The season is still on track for a Thanksgiving start, but everything is so fluid right now with these non-conference games, MTEs and venues trying to figure out logistics of testing, travel, etc.

I agree that some communication on progress would be nice, but these college administrators are having to focus on so many issues that they never had to before and the normal donor/fan communication is probably at the bottom of the list of their long days.

and we have no idea who they are playing. Seems like some ACC teams are opening up with their own "tournament." No word on what Pitt is doing.

I sorta figure maybe Pitt could hold one of those at the Pete with like Bobby Mo, St Francis, maybe a Mac team (not Miami OH). Or maybe now there’s room for Duquesne?

I’m not sure what’s going on right now, you hear about some tournaments being rescheduled, but then there are hints that it will only be conference games in 2020-2021.

I guess you could just do like a 28 game ACC season, everyone plays everyone twice?

I have a friend who works very high up at an ACC school (not Pitt) and he told me last week that fans have no idea the mountains that need to be moved to make a season happen right now. The season is still on track for a Thanksgiving start, but everything is so fluid right now with these non-conference games, MTEs and venues trying to figure out logistics of testing, travel, etc.

I agree that some communication on progress would be nice, but these college administrators are having to focus on so many issues that they never had to before.
They are trying to keep school in session right now as cases and hospitalizations are rising .
Sports are a nice distraction
That’s about it

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
They are trying to keep school in session right now as cases and hospitalizations are rising .
That’s about it
Or so the media lies to us to further their agenda. You also look at sports are insignificant it seems. So I ask you why are you on a sport site. There are plenty of sites that deal with legalization of weed.

Or so the media lies to us to further their agenda. You also look at sports are insignificant it seems. So I ask you why are you on a sport site. There are plenty of sites that deal with legalization of weed.
I like the distraction
if You think it’s important - it’s not my priorities out of whack

You mean cases aren't rising all over the world, and U.S. cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are not rising?

That’s about it
the
That’s about it
Statement the other day on outkick of 77,000 covid cases from students of the 50 biggest universities, there was only 3 hospitalizations.

Last edited:
Reactions: caleco's

I agree that some communication on progress would be nice, but these college administrators are having to focus on so many issues that they never had to before and the normal donor/fan communication is probably at the bottom of the list of their long days.

A 24 game or so ACC bubble in Greensboro or Orlando seems kinda easy honestly. I don't get the fixation of "how are we going to seed the NCAA Tournament?" Who cares. Its a messed up year. Lets just make sure we can get regular season in without everyone getting COVID and we'll figure out the NCAA Tournament out.

A 24 game or so ACC bubble in Greensboro or Orlando seems kinda easy honestly. I don't get the fixation of "how are we going to seed the NCAA Tournament?" Who cares. Its a messed up year. Lets just make sure we can get regular season in without everyone getting COVID and we'll figure out the NCAA Tournament out.
Lol. That would costs millions of millions of dollars. They’re not doing a bubble.

they’ll create a schedule where you play the same team twice in the span of 3 days in the same city. Like every other conference is gonna do. It isn’t fair but it is what it is

College Basketball has had the most time of any sport (sans spring sports) since March to figure this stuff out. MLB,NBA,NHL,NCAAF,NFL..guess logistics didn't apply for them?

These are college students. No way they put them up for 4 months. I'd opt out.

These are college students. No way they put them up for 4 months. I'd opt out.

Huh? These are athletes going to school online who aren't allowed (by team rules) to attend parties or in-person classes so what's the difference?

Huh? These are athletes going to school online who aren't allowed (by team rules) to attend parties or in-person classes so what's the difference?
As I told you, the difference is instead of generating money, they’d be losing tens of millions to pay for a bubble. Do you even understand how college athletics work?

College Basketball has had the most time of any sport (sans spring sports) since March to figure this stuff out. MLB,NBA,NHL,NCAAF,NFL..guess logistics didn't apply for them?

Which pathway would you choose? Baseball almost fell apart before it got its feet wet but seems to have recovered. Hockey had some initial issues but seemed to recover. NFL has had ups and downs. NBA seemed to get it right the most but where do you bubble 200 some teams?

How destroyed would a college basketball program be if one or two players tested positive and they are now out for some significant time? College football has way more scholarship athletes and kind of can afford a lesser product for a game.

Basketball has significant obstacles, one of which is the general attitude of most teens and early 20 year olds.

The difference is putting 300 teams...coaches, players, trainers, players, etc. into hotel rooms for 4 months while the other students are going to classes, living normal lives. Not every state is locked down because jackass governors get their rocks off by acting like tyrants.

Reactions: wolf0717
I wonder if the ACC would do Home and home between teams, to limit the travel a bit? Maybe play Thursday, then SAT/SUN. Is it a lot of time away from campus, but maybe it'd work out. Hopefully we get something of a season. 20+ games or whatever.

I wonder if the ACC would do Home and home between teams, to limit the travel a bit? Maybe play Thursday, then SAT/SUN. Is it a lot of time away from campus, but maybe it'd work out. Hopefully we get something of a season. 20+ games or whatever.
That’s what they’re gonna do, sort of. They’re gonna play 20-24. Play same team twice in same location. Won’t be even at all. Some teams will have huge advantage. It is what it is

Reactions: Elsalvador
Volleyball seems to have figured it out. Similar to basketball...indoor court, small rosters. Are they in a bubble? Serious question.

Volleyball seems to have figured it out. Similar to basketball...indoor court, small rosters. Are they in a bubble? Serious question.

No, they aren't in a bubble.

And the ACC scheduled volleyball the way that insider is saying they are going to schedule basketball. They made two pods of teams and you only played teams in your pod. You played a team two games in a weekend, both either at home or on the road. For instance last weekend Pitt played Louisville at Louisville on both Friday and Sunday.

They could do something like that using the weekends and still spreading the games out to maximize television windows. In any given weekend some teams could play Thursday/Saturday, others could play Friday/Sunday and others could play Saturday/Monday (and maybe even throw in a few Sunday/Tuesdays). Fill lots of television windows that way but still minimize travel.

That’s what they’re gonna do, sort of. They’re gonna play 20-24. Play same team twice in same location. Won’t be even at all. Some teams will have huge advantage. It is what it is

This says Duke is playing Pitt home and home so I'm not sure you are right. I dont know what sense playing the same team twice in the same location even accomplishes. I could see maybe playing the same team back to back but a home and home so that if there's an outbreak with a player, its only those 2 teams affected but playing in the same location, I dont think.

This says Duke is playing Pitt home and home so I'm not sure you are right. I dont know what sense playing the same team twice in the same location even accomplishes. I could see maybe playing the same team back to back but a home and home so that if there's an outbreak with a player, its only those 2 teams affected but playing in the same location, I dont think.

That may have been a big ten coach I was talking to who told me that plan. Can’t remember

That may have been a big ten coach I was talking to who told me that plan. Can’t remember

It would make sense in the Big Ten who I dont believe is allowing fans. I dont think the ACC would be in favor of playing consecutive road games at Cameron, who may be allowed to have the Crazies there eventually.

The way things are going with COVID-19 now even with a vaccine I can’t see teams allowing fans to attend games this season . Risking the entire college bb season so a few thousand people can attend a game seems nonsensical to me . One major outbreak ( fans and players ) will shut the whole season down . TV money is far greater than the extra revenue gained by allowing a few thousand fans in an arena .

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
The way things are going with COVID-19 now even with a vaccine I can’t see teams allowing fans to attend games this season . Risking the entire college bb season so a few thousand people can attend a game seems nonsensical to me . One major outbreak ( fans and players ) will shut the whole season down . TV money is far greater than the extra revenue gained by allowing a few thousand fans in an arena .

There is no chance a player can be infected by a fan sitting 100 feet away wearing a mask

There is no chance a player can be infected by a fan sitting 100 feet away wearing a mask
Louisville is allowing 15 percent capacity. There will absolutely be fans at some games. It’s not hard to take someone’s temperature and hope they are being truthful about other symptoms to enter.

Louisville is allowing 15 percent capacity. There will absolutely be fans at some games. It’s not hard to take someone’s temperature and hope they are being truthful about other symptoms to enter.

I agree. If its safe enough to eat inside of a restaurant without a mask, its safe enough to habe a thousand or 2 spaced out, wearing masks inside a huge arena.

Any indoor activity were people are yelling and screaming doesn’t seem like a very safe place to be right now . Like I said all they need is one incident anywhere and your risking your season . With every game televised why would any rational person put themselves or family members at risk ?

By the way, a couple things about that article. First of all, it's five days old, and as such it's already outdated. Duke is not playing Michigan State in the Champions Classic in Orlando, because ESPN has bailed on the idea of an Orlando bubble. For the same reason, we have lost our Myrtle Beach games.

Secondly, he isn't actually saying that he has any information on Pitt and Duke playing a home and home beyond the fact that that was what was originally on the schedule from years ago. It is certainly possible that the ACC is simply going to follow that scheduling model that was set up years ago. It is at least as likely, probably more likely, that they are going to make changes to that model. That's the whole reason why releasing a schedule is taking so long. If all they were going to do was what they were planning on doing all along they could have easily released a schedule by now.

Any indoor activity were people are yelling and screaming doesn’t seem like a very safe place to be right now . Like I said all they need is one incident anywhere and your risking your season . With every game televised why would any rational person put themselves or family members at risk ?
99.89%.. no risk unless you are over 70 or Health issues.. If you want to live in a bubble the rest of your Life, go ahead.. Vaccine ain’t coming.. just face facts..

99.89%.. no risk unless you are over 70 or Health issues.. If you want to live in a bubble the rest of your Life, go ahead.. Vaccine ain’t coming.. just face facts..

He is talking about infecting the players. If some fan with COVID goes to a game in the Pete, wearing a mask obviously and is sitting 100 feet away, there is pretty much a 0.0% chance of infecting the players

It means that teams have to travel half as much.

The other thing that the volleyball schedule allowed for was changing opponents and dates at the last minute. UNC and Duke were scheduled to play twice in a weekend. Both teams had other opponents postpone matches, so Duke and UNC moved up their game against each other to open up later weekends to make up those other matches.

If teams are flying all around the country playing different opponents in the same weekend, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to reschedule any basketball games. It's actually far less important how many total wins you have in volleyball, but playing 2-4 fewer basketball games will certainly be a determining factor of who potentially makes a 2021 NCAA tournament.

Pitt already allowed a limited number of fans at their last weekend of volleyball matches. There's zero chance the entire conference will ban fans.
If we’re waiting until there’s a vaccine/distribution of one for life to return to normal we may not live to see it. I’ll never understand the narrative that we’re close to a vaccine. We have absolutely no clue if there will be one or if it will be effective.

Reactions: panther.fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT