ADVERTISEMENT

Softball off to a tough start

They arent making any changes after one season. Nor should they. Far too early to judge.

Could not disagree more. This obviously was an atrocious hire. The only real bad one the AD has made. While someone like the woman’s basketball coach needs to be given time since he took over a disaster of a program, Softball was in good shape. As someone noted, she had 5 position players and 3 of the top 4 pitchers returning.

She recruited no one. She must have, or at least should have, known that two of Holly’s recruits weren’t coming, including the top pitcher — probably the best pitcher Holly ever had recruited based on her high school statistics. She didn’t recruit anyone to replace them.

But, the rest of the team has regressed across the board: hitting and fielding. Olivia Gray was an All-ACC performer last year and was the best returning power hitter. She is having a terrible senior season. The fielding has just been terrible. Even worse, they are making errors at the worst possible times. They lost two straight games when they had the lead going into the bottom of the 7th, both on multiple fielding errors.

I think Pitt should have fired Stallings after one year. The renewal of the BB program would be farther along, and he was a terrible mistake. She is the female Stallings. The program needs to get back on track ASAP. Last year wasn’t a fluke. Holly took us to the NCAA regional finals a couple of years back when we lost to Michigan in the final game. We need to get the right coach for the program, and she is not it.

Damn. All her background is Ohio and west and the top asst she brought same. The other guy has some acc area but some of it baseball. Could explain some of the slow recruiting .

Last edited:
Could not disagree more. This obviously was an atrocious hire. The only real bad one the AD has made. While someone like the woman’s basketball coach needs to be given time since he took over a disaster of a program, Softball was in good shape. As someone noted, she had 5 position players and 3 of the top 4 pitchers returning.

She recruited no one. She must have, or at least should have, known that two of Holly’s recruits weren’t coming, including the top pitcher — probably the best pitcher Holly ever had recruited based on her high school statistics. She didn’t recruit anyone to replace them.

But, the rest of the team has regressed across the board: hitting and fielding. Olivia Gray was an All-ACC performer last year and was the best returning power hitter. She is having a terrible senior season. The fielding has just been terrible. Even worse, they are making errors at the worst possible times. They lost two straight games when they had the lead going into the bottom of the 7th, both on multiple fielding errors.

I think Pitt should have fired Stallings after one year. The renewal of the BB program would be farther along, and he was a terrible mistake. She is the female Stallings. The program needs to get back on track ASAP. Last year wasn’t a fluke. Holly took us to the NCAA regional finals a couple of years back when we lost to Michigan in the final game. We need to get the right coach for the program, and she is not it.
I think you also cried about the gavin hire after one year.

Sounds like you have some inside knowledge. I agree. I went to the Penn State game on Wednesday. There were some big mistakes that I would not expect from softball players at that level. There were some defensive situations that the girls just looked clueless. We put our girls through those situations over and over when they were 12. Now, should D1 players have a clue without coaching regarding those situations? I would hope so, but I wonder about some of these players and their level of experience. That being said, it takes a coach to get a team to react reflexively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT