ADVERTISEMENT

Some Saturday Night Thoughts on Pitt Hoops & Other Dribbles ...

Why would those schools want to let us into their back yard? We've done quite well recruiting there in the past.....how many W.PA kids have ended up at those schools?? Kenny Durrett went to LaSalle, not Nova. Anyone?? Better for those schools to schedule other schools in the ACC.

It's kind of the same reason I prefer not to play WVU in football. We don't play them, after 2 games with PSU, they continue to lose their relevance in Western PA and less and less become a factor in recruiting. Not that they are a factor right now (but would love to have Dravon Henry) but without Pitt and now on the Island known as the Big 12, they have little exposure here now.

Of course it is up to the head coach. The buck stops there because he hires these guys. But I am just focusing on them because I believe they have underperformed. Even yourself have thrown out questions on Brandin Knight. So not sure what is "stupid" about the questions.

It is just like you have say a QB problem in football. You focus on the QB, but it is the coach (and in the NFL) the GM who drafts or signs the QB. Still, it doesn't eliminate the fact that it is a QB issue. Capiche?

The head guy makes up his staff.
The head guy has a good track record.

If he continued to struggle he will lose his job.

In your scenario you fire the gm for failing to identify the qb talent.

I have nothing to add except this is a great thread. Thanks DT for starting it.

Im not as down on this years team as some. I feel like we got better in the off season. We got a few big men grad transfers, a big bodied Juco Center and a 4 star freshman guard. We have a lot of injuries but as long as the team gets healthy I see this as a 24/25 win team. Even if the newcomers only eat 20 mins at the 5 that still helps. They all seem like candidates to at least rebound and defend and thats what we need from them. As long as Young and Artis take steps forward and Damon Wilson shows something we could be really good.

Im much more worried about the future. We lost 2 Big time players for '16 and so far Dixon and Company don't seem to be getting a lot of interest from anyone worth noting. Some of the recent moves have been confusing, hiring a guy with Chicago ties who doesnt seem to have much of a chance of landing anyone from there the next 2 seasons. It was said Smoke has some big ties to Chicago AAU yet none of the big players in '16/'17 seem that interested in that relationship. A whole lot of Smoke and no Fire. I feel like if you're going to make that hire the guy better have a couple of those guys as sure things. Barton is still collecting a paycheck when its blatent our recruiting is lacking. There has to be a guy with ties to Philly/DC/VA area out there that could be a good fit/Upgrade for this staff. It's tough to trust in Dixon at this point when from the outside looking in it kind of looks like he's gone off the tracks a bit.

The head guy makes up his staff.
The head guy has a good track record.

If he continued to struggle he will lose his job.

In your scenario you fire the gm for failing to identify the qb talent.

The head guy's track record lately is not that good. Let's be clear about that.

By which metric?

what time frame do you think is justifiable to act to change coaches?
Or more to the point..if that's your opinion..advocate HIS removal, rather than his assistants.
Get it?
No. I don't. You are trying to make an argument that isn't there. His performance has declined with this current coaching staff. Recruiting has declined. I am saying before you make a move at the head, I think a new staff is in order. If it is still the same, well then time to move on. Or....if Jamie refuses and keeps this same staff and the mediocre performance remains, well then, now you have to consider the top guy to go to.

You know this, you just love to argue and debate everything.

Ya know... IMO... Jamie Dixon has a tendency to EXPERIMENT and a lot of times his experiments DO NOT WORK.

He experimented with getting EARLY recruits.... and with Rowan and Heron.... that absolutely DID NOT WORK (and, notice that JD is not stupid and is not doing that anymore). Might have in fact backfired in that they are not considering us anymore (well, Heron is but not likely).

He experimented with bringing in an assistant coach with most of his ties to the midwest.... and that HAS NOT WORKED (at least not so far). The midwest is B10 country and one way or another we are not gonna take high or even medium levels recruits away from the B10 schools. The best we can do is a Gary McGhee... not rated as a top player but worked his way into one... or a Cam Wright. Would have been better with another NYC metro recruiter or maybe even someone with major ties to New England.

He experimented with the switchoff 1-5 defense at the close of games last year and that was an ABSOLUTE DISASTOR... losing 10 point leads and the like down the stretch on a regular basis which meant losing some games we should have won (e.g. VT) and almost losing others (ND). Thankfully, JD got wise on this and left it behind him. Yeah, lets pray we do not see that one again this coming year.

I don't want to get on JD's case much on this... hey... even Willy Mays struck out an unbelievable amount of times. But, on the other hand, I don't think Coach K is experimenting much with either his recruiting or what plays he has his team run.

Should have brought in another NYC recruiter!

No. I don't. You are trying to make an argument that isn't there. His performance has declined with this current coaching staff. Recruiting has declined. I am saying before you make a move at the head, I think a new staff is in order. If it is still the same, well then time to move on. Or....if Jamie refuses and keeps this same staff and the mediocre performance remains, well then, now you have to consider the top guy to go to.

You know this, you just love to argue and debate everything.

I don't .

Is our decline enough to fire the coach or not?
At what threshold do you fire him?
It's his staff, he's responsible alone for them .

Has the past 4 years been bad enough to fire Dixon if we stay at this level in your opinion ?

Maybe byslma should have Hired a new assistant or two ?

I don't .

Is our decline enough to fire the coach or not?
At what threshold do you fire him?
It's his staff, he's responsible alone for them .

Has the past 4 years been bad enough to fire Dixon if we stay at this level in your opinion ?

Maybe byslma should have Hired a new assistant or two ?

Hindsight being what it is.......Bylsma should have been fired after the Flyers series. Obviously. And is refusal to play Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla at his natural wing was also fireable.

And maybe in two years, the hindsight will suggest Jamie should have been fired this past year.

Who knows? I do know this, his "track record" in the good sense has been achieved with a different coaching staff than his recent track record which has occurred with mostly the current staff members. Also, those stand bys on the current staff have not been sought after for other jobs like previous Dixon staffs, which also supports my argument.

Hindsight being what it is.......Bylsma should have been fired after the Flyers series. Obviously. And is refusal to play Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla at his natural wing was also fireable.

And maybe in two years, the hindsight will suggest Jamie should have been fired this past year.

Who knows? I do know this, his "track record" in the good sense has been achieved with a different coaching staff than his recent track record which has occurred with mostly the current staff members. Also, those stand bys on the current staff have not been sought after for other jobs like previous Dixon staffs, which also supports my argument.

If Dixon gets let go, doesn't the school have to pay him like 8 years worth of his $2m/year contract? In other words, something like $16m??

If Dixon gets let go, doesn't the school have to pay him like 8 years worth of his $2m/year contract? In other words, something like $16m??
Supposedly the base salary is $2MM. With reasonable incentives and media/shoe stuff thrown in, it is more like $3MM annually. Some say there s a buy-out to reduce the total to a manageable amount after another year or two. Who knows?

He ain't going anywhere for at least 3 years. At least as Pitt is concerned. Look, he will have a decent enough, NCAA team this year.

He might have one next year too if all the Seniors come back.

Then there is that class after Young, Artis, Jeter is gone. Then we shall see....

But that is in at least 3 years.

There is no situation, even looking back at some future point (outside of Pedo State-like scandal), where firing Dixon this year would make Pitt anything but an absolute laughing stock in the basketball community in this nation. The reputation that would be associated with that sort of absolute idiocy tends stick to a athletic department for a LONG time.

If the program absolutely falls apart, like Agnus Berenato's program did, that is a different story, but that first has to play out, not dissimilar to how it did for Agnus (not that I'm saying it has to get that bad to make a change, but it has to play out and prove itself to be a reasonable decision). The repercussions of firing someone with Jamie's reputation and track record at this point, to the image of the university/athletic leadership that would be making the next hire, could not be understated.

The fact that some people seriously consider it as even a reasonable discussion about making a change after this past season is unbelievably dumb.

Last edited:
Supposedly the base salary is $2MM. With reasonable incentives and media/shoe stuff thrown in, it is more like $3MM annually. Some say there s a buy-out to reduce the total to a manageable amount after another year or two. Who knows?

Exactly Harve... was hoping someone might know. Someone posted on another board (TOS) that we would have to pay him the full amount so thanks for the input!

I like Dixon and hope he bounces back this year. But, IMO he has got to get back down to the nitty gritty and stop experimenting with bizarre stuff like the early commits by Heron and Rowan and the insane switchoff 1-5 defense that he experimented with for a while last year before FINALLY giving up on it.

There is no situation, even looking back at some future point (outside of Pedo State-like scandal), where firing Dixon this year would make Pitt anything but an absolute laughing stock in the basketball community in this nation. The reputation that would be associated with that sort of absolute idiocy tends stick to a athletic department for a LONG time.

If the program absolutely falls apart, like Agnus Berenato's program did, that is a different story, but that first has to play out, just like it did for Agnus.

If Dixon continues to have borderline NCAA Tourney teams.... not making it or being a low seed... and this goes on for a number of years... that could get him the ax. Also, with all the players graduating this year and next, mediocre performance these next two years followed by a collapse in 17/18... could bring his downfall.

But, IMO he made good moves with the grad transfers (though, bringing in BOTH Maia and ANO might be one big too many)... so... hopefully he puts these players together and we do quite well this year.

If the program absolutely falls apart, like Agnus Berenato's program did, that is a different story, but that first has to play out, not dissimilar to how it did for Agnus (not that I'm saying it has to get that bad to make a change, but it has to play out and prove itself to be a reasonable decision). The repercussions of firing someone with Jamie's reputation and track record at this point, to the image of the university/athletic leadership that would be making the next hire, could not be understated.

The fact that some people seriously consider it as even a reasonable discussion about making a change after this past season is unbelievably dumb.

+1

No wait ... +100

Completely misread and missed the point of my post. Thank you Paco.

Reactions: bobfree
No, I absolutely got it.

No you didn't. I didn't advocate firing Dixon. I did say if we have 3 more years of the same, hindsight will dictate that firing Dixon now would have been the prudent move. Just like in 2012, firing Dan Bylsma was unthinkable, but as hindsight suggests, now in review, it would have been the right move.

No you didn't. I didn't advocate firing Dixon. I did say if we have 3 more years of the same, hindsight will dictate that firing Dixon now would have been the prudent move. Just like in 2012, firing Dan Bylsma was unthinkable, but as hindsight suggests, now in review, it would have been the right move.

I disagree with you on this RRTB. Even if history ends up showing that the program, and Dixon, is going downhill, firing someone before that is clear can have DISASTROUS consequences. I can think of some situations like this in the pros but someone else brought up what happened at BC. THEN there is the situation with the football program and the firing of Wannstedt. Yeah, when it came to the big game and a chance to get this program nationally relevant again, he would CHOKE... but he was winning 8 or 9 games a year and since he got the ax we have only been running at 6 - 7 wins a year... this for the last 4 years (yeah, we all sure hope Coach Duzz can turn things around and he sure looks to be going that direction but.... 5 of first 7 games on road is gonna be difficult).

In short, you gotta be REAL CAREFUL with things like this. Dixon deserves some leeway on this, due to what he accomplished in the past. But, what we have seen over the last four years is significantly less than what it was (yeah, maybe due to Dixon having difficulty coping with the change to the ACC) and that leeway is starting to run out. IMO, the time has come for him to rebound or... he could well be gone in 2-3 years.

But, even if that's the way it turns out.... would be a mistake saying we should had let him go now.

Oh, what I SHOULD say here... if Dixon does not rebound this year (things like making the ACC championship game and a sweet-16 appearance would be a rebound)... then the writing is probably on the wall.... probably will not rebound in 16/17 and then things will probably collapse in 17/18. But, even if that is the way things turn out this coming year, you still gotta go through at least the next year because... you never know. Coaches that perform at the level that Dixon used to perform at... do not come a dime a dozen.

Yeah, I sure hope for JD but, ya gotta get the job done.

Patrick Gallagher is not George Steinbrenner.

Could Dixon be fired if he misses the NCAAs the next two years and then the season after that is a disaster? Sure, but how likely is that? People on here talk like he will never again land a top 200 recruit. Maybe making the NCAAs in two of four years will turn out to be the worst four years of his career. Who knows what the future holds, but I don't think the program is on the verge of falling apart. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying that he will never again get a #1 seed, but I don't see a doomsday scenario, either.

Yeah, I know, he makes a few million a year so we should demand greatness. His salary is the result of his success, not the cause of it. I wonder how many of his critics are as close to the top of their profession as Dixon is to his. Complaining about his paycheck is ridiculous. Most accountants and janitors don't earn a million dollars a year. A lot of Division 1 coaches do.

Could Dixon be fired if he misses the NCAAs the next two years and then the season after that is a disaster? Sure, but how likely is that? People on here talk like he will never again land a top 200 recruit. Maybe making the NCAAs in two of four years will turn out to be the worst four years of his career. Who knows what the future holds, but I don't think the program is on the verge of falling apart. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying that he will never again get a #1 seed, but I don't see a doomsday scenario, either.

Yeah, I know, he makes a few million a year so we should demand greatness. His salary is the result of his success, not the cause of it. I wonder how many of his critics are as close to the top of their profession as Dixon is to his. Complaining about his paycheck is ridiculous. Most accountants and janitors don't earn a million dollars a year. A lot of Division 1 coaches do.

Hmmm ...

A post filled with perspective and rationality.

Sort of a rare bird around here as of late.

Take it to another board. There is little tolerance on this board for clear, sane thinking.

The thing about coaches is that even if they have a long period of good-to-great success, that doesn't mean they'll stay a great coach. Otherwise, no coaches would ever be fired and eventually find themselves out of a job completely or on a very small-time school.

Jamie has regressed, and it's hard argue otherwise. The results have gone down and there's no reason to believe that Pitt will return to being a top-10 team year after year under him. Yes, he got us there, but it's been more than just a few down seasons now.

All the excuses about Pitt not having a home-town recruiting bed or whatever are really worn out. Jamie just hasn't gotten it done when you look at the last 5 years. Should we fire him? Depends on what we want to be. If we want to be where he got us to in 2009/10, then yes. If we're cool just having a decent, 18-22 win team every year with a shot to make the NCAA Tournament, then keep him. I didn't intend to go here at all with this post, but yes, he does compare to the firing of Wannstedt in a way.

In any case, there sure isn't reason to be excited about "maybe being a good team" every year.

The thing about coaches is that even if they have a long period of good-to-great success, that doesn't mean they'll stay a great coach. Otherwise, no coaches would ever be fired and eventually find themselves out of a job completely or on a very small-time school.

Jamie has regressed, and it's hard argue otherwise. The results have gone down and there's no reason to believe that Pitt will return to being a top-10 team year after year under him. Yes, he got us there, but it's been more than just a few down seasons now.

All the excuses about Pitt not having a home-town recruiting bed or whatever are really worn out. Jamie just hasn't gotten it done when you look at the last 5 years. Should we fire him? Depends on what we want to be. If we want to be where he got us to in 2009/10, then yes. If we're cool just having a decent, 18-22 win team every year with a shot to make the NCAA Tournament, then keep him. I didn't intend to go here at all with this post, but yes, he does compare to the firing of Wannstedt in a way.

In any case, there sure isn't reason to be excited about "maybe being a good team" every year.

Should Pitt fire Dixon under your scenario of trying to get back to 2009/10 levels vs 18-22 win teams, IMHO the chances of getting back to 2009/10 levels would be less than 10% while winding up far worse than having an18-22 win team (i.e, having a perennial ACC bottom dweller) would be greater than 90%. All one needs to do is examine Pitt's sports history to understand that such would be the far most likely outcome. I would rather they not roll the dice unless we have 2-3 consecutive seasons with more losses than wins and no post season of any kind.

Not 5 years.....in 2011, a little over 4 years from today....we were a #1 seed, losing to a team because of a brainfart. That team played in the final game. Hardly a down year....almost miraculous if you look at the talent level. We were damn good in 13-14, too.

It is EASY to argue otherwise. The collapse, came right after the move to the ACC was announced. So, maybe JD had a problem with his focus once that occurred. It happens.

In any case, he made the right moves over the summer in bringing in Maia, ANO and Smith. So, we get to see how this plays out this coming year.

IMO, he has a problem that since the move to the ACC occurred, his pipeline of players from the NYC metro area has dried up... and also IMO trying to get the same from the midwest... is not gonna work. But, there are other ways to get the job done so.... we will just have to see what happens.

So, NO, I do not believe that it is just a matter of time for Dixon here at Pitt. But I will say that right now, the fate of him here and his program, hangs in the balance.

I still don't think would it be the prudent move. This program already has to deal with lack of history, lack of local recruiting base and mediocre fan support. Firing the most successful basketball coach in the school's past 80 years because of a short "bad stretch" (and that's only compared to the standard that Dixon himself set) wouldn't exactly have up and coming coaches salivating at the job opening.

I still don't think would it be the prudent move. This program already has to deal with lack of history, lack of local recruiting base and mediocre fan support. Firing the most successful basketball coach in the school's past 80 years because of a short "bad stretch" (and that's only compared to the standard that Dixon himself set) wouldn't exactly have up and coming coaches salivating at the job opening.

3 years from now, would mean a mediocre stretch of 7 years. That is not a "short stretch". Jesus Christ, this guy got us to a few Sweet 16's and an Elite 8, he deserves a lifetime contract?

Reactions: bobfree
3 years from now, would mean a mediocre stretch of 7 years. That is not a "short stretch". Jesus Christ, this guy got us to a few Sweet 16's and an Elite 8, he deserves a lifetime contract?
In the real world, nobody deals in "hindsight" It isn't actionable and a waste of time. Hindsight is the same as Monday morning quarterbacking, it's dumb.

Reactions: Scruffy the Panther
Jesus Christ, this guy got us to a few Sweet 16's and an Elite 8, he deserves a lifetime contract?

Actually, given the history of Pitt basketball, a truly reasonable answer to that question would be "Yes, gladly".

Mediocre would be outstanding compared to pretty much anyone since Doc Carlson, minus a somewhat fluke season under Ridl. The only seasons better than medicore were when we were buying players under Chipman and Evans and tat's not happennng anymore here.

I do aspire to be more than mediocre, but a program that is above .500 and goes to the NCAAT half the time and while playing in one of the best conferences IS more than mediocre and is not really likely to get a coach fired. Now, if we crash and burn like Agnus somehow did, that's different.

Actually, given the history of Pitt basketball, a truly reasonable answer to that question would be "Yes, gladly".

Mediocre would be outstanding compared to pretty much anyone since Doc Carlson, minus a somewhat fluke season under Ridl. The only seasons better than medicore were when we were buying players under Chipman and Evans and tat's not happennng anymore here.

I do aspire to be more than mediocre, but a program that is above .500 and goes to the NCAAT half the time and while playing in one of the best conferences IS more than mediocre and is not really likely to get a coach fired. Now, if we crash and burn like Agnus somehow did, that's different.
Harve--well said. That was exactly my point when I said I wouldn't roll the dice if we were hanging at 18-22 wins. It would be dumb to get rid of Dixon short of 2-3 years of consecutive losing seasons (the Berenato comparison). Fire a coach that is averaging 20 wins and no quality coach will want the job and whoever you do get under that scenario will most likely return Pitt to the days of having losing seasons and dwelling at the very bottom of the ACC.

Last edited:
Dixon's not going to get fired unless he DOES pull an Agnus and he's too good of a coach to do so.

I mean, he's just not - why debate it all of the time?

In three years if we are still "mediocre", do us a favor and get in your time machine, go back to when we should've fired Jamie Dixon, and give him the axe. Better bring some articles and newspaper clippings along so you've got some proof.

Dixon's not going to get fired unless he DOES pull an Agnus and he's too good of a coach to do so.

I mean, he's just not - why debate it all of the time?
We have a group of fans who have NEVER liked the Dixon hire. Many wanted Calipari or now Miller. Dixon's success prior to this stretch kept their sniping muted. Now they feel emboldened. This board is mild compared to comments snd personal attacks on some of the other fan sites and blogs. Again, a lot of folks won't be happy until Dixon is gone and replaced by a Pittsburgher.

It's simplistic to say it's Yinzerism, but that is a big factor. There will be posts denying it but it's pretty clear.

2011 & 2014 were NOT mediocre....or even close..

I have always been a very strong JD supporter and I truly hope he can get his mojo back, because relative to the ceasepool he swims in, he does things the "right way."

But, he has been spinning out for a while now, and people want to look for simple answers, it pre-dates the ACC agreement.

He lost his flow when he did what we ALL wanted him to do, recruit more "talented" guys. The program started its slide when Dante Taylor didn't pan, followed by Birch bailing. He got a major kick to the nads when Adams went back home after his frosh season and never came back. Had he had Adams just one more year with Lamar, maybe that team makes a deep run in the NCAAs that would have changed the program's a arc. His under recruiting quality/talent at guard caught up to him over the last five years now along with his spinning out on big men.

Perhaps his fatal blow was Slice bolting for Kentucky. The only real positive vibe the program had was during that period where Slice was on board, the got Heron and Rowan committed. Maybe they lose Rowan either way, but they probably still would have Heron in the pocket and not had to transition to another assistant in Slice. It isn't saying Slice is the end all be all, but for the Pitt program he is a big deal, and we have seen a pretty bad string of recruiting failures since.

All this said, relative to the program he coaches at, which is not a super elite program like Kentucky, UCLA, NC, what he has done is significant enough that he has to be given time to work it out. It doesn't look good, but it has to play out one way or another possibly for a few more seasons at least.

You never want a down period to be extended, if that is the case, but it is about the next hire regardless. They could part ways with him today and if they make a bad hire it won't make things any better. Even if they do it the process right like they did with Nards, it just could not work out, like a Williard, who was one of the two or three most well regarded hires at that time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT