ADVERTISEMENT

Some Saturday Night Thoughts on Pitt Hoops & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** There was a time just a few off-seasons ago when I used to spend the better part of several Saturday nights enjoying a malt and hops beverage or two (we’ll leave it at that), while throwing out a dozen and a half or so useless personal observations on Pitt Hoops.

** On better days, this practice would at least create some hoops conversation on the PantherLair Hoops message board. At worst, well … mostly just crickets.

** But over the last few off-seasons, other priorities of life have most often taken the place of this weekly ritual. But a post I just read on the Football Board inspired me to give a shot at some thoughts tonight.

** This poster correctly observed that on the Hoops Board "there is very little enthusiasm and the posts are less and less," while still acknowledging it is the slow season for hoops.

** Additionally, this poster made the interesting personal observation regarding: "he has more enthusiasm I have for a football coach who hasn't coached a game at Pitt over Dixon who is so highly regarded."

** I appreciated the sincerity of these thoughts, and don’t even disagree. I recognize that many in the Pitt sports world share this notion. And the point tonight isn’t to change it.

** My point instead is to generate some enthusiasm for the coming Hoops year. I don’t say this because I think I think this coming year will be a great year. But I do think it will be a respectable, a year with results good enough that most Pitt fans can be proud of it.

** To be able to share my thoughts, please suspend for a moment, if you will, any of your more than understandable long-term concerns about the program, and more specifically, any worries about the state of out our recruiting.

** The concerns about recruiting will or won’t be quelled by Dixon’s ability to fill two critical scholarships for the 2016-2017 class. And with the way recruiting has been going of late, it’s hard to be comfortably hopeful about these prospects. But until then, let’s get back to the coming year.

** In his 12 years as Head Coach, one thing should be pretty much an accepted fact for a Dixon coached team. That is -- experienced players matter. And he’ll have lots of them hitting the court starting in November.

** To support this point, allow me to quote a post from a few days back from the very esteemed and extremely knowledgeable poster, B-man, who said: “Consistency and defense (usually) improves with experience. It has in the past for Dixon's teams. If those two areas just improve a little...just a little...the minimum expectations should be accomplished next season.”

** I agree with all of these thoughts, and I encourage hoop fans to check out B-man’s full post on the Center Court Board under the topic titled “hmmm …”

** Still, within B-man’s thoughts, he made no specific mention of Mike Young and Jamel Artis, who in my opinion will be among the 10 best offensive players in the ACC this coming year. I encourage even the least optimistic Pitt Hoop Fans to recognize this.

** And while B-man was good enough to recognize the possible contributions of our otherwise unexciting fifth year transfers, he didn’t even include possible improvements from Chris Jones, who averaged almost 11 PPG against ranked opponents plus Syracuse.

** He also didn’t mention Sheldon Jeter who had a four game stretch in the middle of the ACC season when he scored 56 points.

** If you add up all the names, you’ll find a Pitt roster that should feature ten juniors and seniors, assuming everyone is healthy and Maia is eligible. If you believe as I do that experience matters, that’s a recipe for success.

** To be more specific, I’ll define success as an NCAA tournament berth, and a team that should linger on the fringes of the Top 25 (much like the 13-14 team). This expectation assumes only a moderate improvement from last years’ horrible defense. If somehow our defense can become even decent, then things could get quite a bit more interesting.

** I realize that being optimistic about Pitt Hoops isn’t a very “cool” notion among Pitt fans right now. Actually, to me it seems like the more popular path for many posters is to take “shots” at Pitt Hoops and Coach Dixon at the moment. Part of me even has to acknowledge that this may even be a safer path to guard against looking foolish later.

** Like every Pitt Hoops fan right now, I recognize that things aren’t as highly hopeful as they once were, even just five years ago. Still, speaking only for myself of course, I know I much more enjoy looking forward to what our success just might be for the coming year, even if the likelihood for that success isn’t anything near a certainty. Personally, I just don’t see the harm in believing such.

** Finally, despite any concerns I have with what’s going on with recruiting, I still have more than enough reasons to believe that our Head Coach is indeed a pretty good coach.

** The truth is that I’m either right or I’m wrong about this belief. It's as simple as that. Some agree, while some others don't even think after all this time that he is a capable coach. And there are even others who have issues with his demeanor on the court, or how he shakes hands at the end of a games or how he dances to the Electric Slide. I think it's much better to put all of that nonsense aside and focus on his results.

** Again, I don’t see the harm of believing in believing that Dixon is indeed a pretty good coach, despite any flaws. And I feel pretty good about the years of evidence I have to back up my belief.

** With this, I’ll call it a night. But I hope my fellow Pitt Hoops posters will fill the rest of this thread with your expectations, whether they are optimistic or pessimistic. After all, regardless if they are positive or negative, I’ll always agree that any thoughts on Pitt Hoops are better than no thoughts on Pitt Hoops.

Last edited:
** There was a time just a few off-seasons ago when I used to spend the better part of several Saturday nights enjoying a malt and hops beverage or two (we’ll leave it at that), while throwing out a dozen and a half or so useless personal observations on Pitt Hoops.

** On better days, this practice would at least create some hoops conversation on the PantherLair Hoops message board. At worst, well … mostly just crickets.

** But over the last few off-seasons, other priorities of life have most often taken the place of this weekly ritual. But a post I just read on the Football Board inspired me to give a shot at some thoughts tonight.

** This poster correctly observed that on the Hoops Board "there is very little enthusiasm and the posts are less and less," while still acknowledging it is the slow season for hoops.

** Additionally, this poster made the interesting personal observation that "he has more enthusiasm I have for a football coach who hasn't coached a game at Pitt over Dixon who is so highly regarded."

** I appreciated the sincerity of these thoughts, and don’t even disagree. I recognize that many in the Pitt sports world share this notion. And the point tonight isn’t to change it.

** My point instead is to generate some enthusiasm for the coming Hoops year. I don’t say this because I think I think this coming year will be a great year. But I do think it will be a respectable, a year with results good enough that most Pitt fans can be proud of it.

** To be able to share my thoughts, please suspend for a moment, if you will, any of your more than understandable long-term concerns about the program, and more specifically, any worries about the state of out our recruiting.

** The concerns about recruiting will or won’t be quelled by Dixon’s ability to fill two critical scholarships for the 2016-2017 class. And with the way recruiting has been going of late, it’s hard to be comfortably hopeful about these prospects. But until then, let’s get back to the coming year.

** In his 12 years as Head Coach, one thing should be pretty much an accepted fact for a Dixon coached team. That is -- experienced players matter. And he’ll have lots of them hitting the court starting in November.

** To support this point, allow me to quote a post from a few days back from the very esteemed and extremely knowledgeable poster, B-man, who said: “Consistency and defense (usually) improves with experience. It has in the past for Dixon's teams. If those two areas just improve a little...just a little...the minimum expectations should be accomplished next season.”

** I agree with all of these thoughts, and I encourage hoop fans to check out B-man’s full post on the Center Court Board under the topic titled “hmmm …”

** Still, within B-man’s thoughts, he made no specific mention of Mike Young and Jamel Artis, who in my opinion will be among the 10 best offensive players in the ACC this coming year. I encourage even the least optimistic Pitt Hoop Fans to recognize this.

** And while B-man was good enough to recognize the possible contributions of our otherwise unexciting fifth year transfers, he didn’t even include possible improvements from Chris Jones, who averaged almost 11 PPG against ranked opponents plus Syracuse.

** He also didn’t mention Sheldon Jeter who had a four game stretch in the middle of the ACC season when he scored 56 points.

** If you add up all the names, you’ll find a Pitt roster that should feature ten juniors and seniors, assuming everyone is healthy and Maia is eligible. If you believe as I do that experience matters, that’s a recipe for success.

** To be more specific, I’ll define success as an NCAA tournament berth, and a team that should linger on the fringes of the Top 25 (much like the 13-14 team). This expectation assumes only a moderate improvement from last years’ horrible defense. If somehow our defense can become even decent, then things could get quite a bit more interesting.

** I realize that being optimistic about Pitt Hoops isn’t a very “cool” notion among Pitt fans right now. Actually, to me it seems like the more popular path for many posters is to take “shots” at Pitt Hoops and Coach Dixon at the moment. Part of me even has to acknowledge that this may even be a safer path to guard against looking foolish later.

** Like every Pitt Hoops fan right now, I recognize that things aren’t as highly hopeful as they once were, even just five years ago. Still, speaking only for myself of course, I know I much more enjoy looking forward to what our success just might be for the coming year, even if the likelihood for that success isn’t anything near a certainty. Personally, I just don’t see the harm in believing such.

** Finally, despite any concerns I have with what’s going on with recruiting, I still have more than enough reasons to believe that our Head Coach is indeed a pretty good coach.

** The truth is that I’m either right or I’m wrong about this belief. It's as simple as that. Some agree, while some others don't even think after all this time that he is a capable coach. And there are even others who have issues with his demeanor on the court, or how he shakes hands at the end of a games or how he dances to the Electric Slide. I think it's much better to put all of that nonsense aside and focus on his results.

** Again, I don’t see the harm of believing in believing that Dixon is indeed a pretty good coach, despite any flaws. And I feel pretty good about the years of evidence I have to back up my belief.

** With this, I’ll call it a night. But I hope my fellow Pitt Hoops posters will fill the rest of this thread with your expectations, whether they are optimistic or pessimistic. After all, regardless if they are positive or negative, I’ll always agree that any thoughts on Pitt Hoops are better than no thoughts on Pitt Hoops.

I think we will be very good offensively next season and somewhat improved on defense and rebounding if the team stays healthy and Maia makes it here ....... I say we will make the NCAA Tournament .... we need to make it.

Last edited:
I really feel that Dixon is on the line this coming year.

We've got a new chancellor, and with that a new HC in football and a new AD, and in the last four years the men's BB program has not performed up to the level it had in the past. If things don't improve here it will get to the point where it is just a matter of time.

After this year, we will be losing Robinson, Smith, Maia (assuming he qualities) and ANO, four regular rotation players (expected), who are going to be difficult to replace.

The good news is that Dixon went out and brought in the 3 good grad transfers (assuming Maia qualifies, and I can't understand how he couldn't).

But, if we go out to Japan and lose to Gonzaga and then lose at home to Purdue... the writing may well be on the wall.

Dixon had a poor showing in his second season and to me it didn't look like he was going to rebound but, amazingly he did and got the team competitive again and back into the top 25. So, IMO, what with the results over the last four seasons, he has got to do that again.

The transition period moving out of the old BE and into the ACC... is OVER. Time to get back to playing PITT basketball (and that means, among other things, top level man-to-man defense and NOT all the bizarre stuff we saw last year... but I think Dixon knows this... I sure hope he does).

I think we will be very good offensively next season and somewhat improved on defense and rebounding if the team stays healthy and Maia makes it here ....... I say we will make the NCAA Tournament .... we need to make it.

I don't think making the NCAA Tourney is something that impresses a lot of the big doners and other influential alumni.

The ultimate goal is winning the NCAA Championship.

Barring that, winning the ACC regular season, the ACC Tourney, and making the Final Four, are three viable goals.

Not saying that if Dixon does not achieve at least some of these goals this season... he will be fired. But, IMO he better start heading in that direction and make as much progress as he can. Just setting making the NCAA Tourney as your goal, is the mark of a pretty mediocre program.

I think this team will be good enough to make the NCAA Tournament. And I guess, between Young, Robinson, and Artis, we have 3 players with lots of Pitt basketball experience.

I added the phrase "Pitt basketball", because I don't know how much the 5th year transfers will help. I think if healthy and eligible, they are an upgrade over last season's depth, but they aren't experienced playing for Jamie Dixon. This, IMO matters much more than the amount of minutes they have played for other teams and coaching staffs.

Hmmm... just on a hunch I did a search on Rafael Maia on Pitt.edu and got Rafael Donatti Alves Maia, a registered grad student.

So, that potentially puts any eligibility concerns to rest.

In any case, being registered.... THAT is probably why he made it to town... means that Dixon can work with him an hour a week (or, whatever it is) as he can with his other players... including Smith and ANO.

What THIS means... to address DIO's concerns.... is that the three of them should be much more ready to play as part of the team.... Jamie Ball... when it comes to November.

Yeah, hopefully ALL of them... come November... are ready to play some *D*.

EDIT: Sterling Smith and ANO both come up the same as Rafael... registered grad student.

Hmmm... just on a hunch I did a search on Rafael Maia on Pitt.edu and got Rafael Donatti Alves Maia, a registered grad student.

So, that potentially puts any eligibility concerns to rest.

In any case, being registered.... THAT is probably why he made it to town... means that Dixon can work with him an hour a week (or, whatever it is) as he can with his other players... including Smith and ANO.

What THIS means... to address DIO's concerns.... is that the three of them should be much more ready to play as part of the team.... Jamie Ball... when it comes to November.

Yeah, hopefully ALL of them... come November... are ready to play some *D*.

EDIT: Sterling Smith and ANO both come up the same as Rafael... registered grad student.

The eligibility concern exists with the NCAA. If he is ruled ineligible, he can still do grad school at Pitt or any school of his choosing, so being registered doesn't tell the whole story.

I don't think making the NCAA Tourney is something that impresses a lot of the big doners and other influential alumni.

Barring that, winning the ACC regular season, the ACC Tourney, and making the Final Four, are three viable goals.

Not saying that if Dixon does not achieve at least some of these goals this season... he will be fired. But, IMO he better start heading in that direction and make as much progress as he can. Just setting making the NCAA Tourney as your goal, is the mark of a pretty mediocre program.

Just to be clear ......Winning the NCAA National Championship obviously is always the ultimate goal for Pitt (and any DI team) and winning the ACC regular season and ACC Tournament are also always some of our goals ..... Making the NCCA Tournament is the minimum requirement, IMO, next season or Jamie's seat may start to get warmer.... IMO, if we make the NCAAT next season and Jamie recruits the players he needs, Pitt basketball will be back on track ..... it's certainly doable.

I really feel that Dixon is on the line this coming year.

We've got a new chancellor, and with that a new HC in football and a new AD, and in the last four years the men's BB program has not performed up to the level it had in the past. If things don't improve here it will get to the point where it is just a matter of time.

After this year, we will be losing Robinson, Smith, Maia (assuming he qualities) and ANO, four regular rotation players (expected), who are going to be difficult to replace.

The good news is that Dixon went out and brought in the 3 good grad transfers (assuming Maia qualifies, and I can't understand how he couldn't).

But, if we go out to Japan and lose to Gonzaga and then lose at home to Purdue... the writing may well be on the wall.

Dixon had a poor showing in his second season and to me it didn't look like he was going to rebound but, amazingly he did and got the team competitive again and back into the top 25. So, IMO, what with the results over the last four seasons, he has got to do that again.

The transition period moving out of the old BE and into the ACC... is OVER. Time to get back to playing PITT basketball (and that means, among other things, top level man-to-man defense and NOT all the bizarre stuff we saw last year... but I think Dixon knows this... I sure hope he does).
I don't think losing to the best two teams in our OOC will be any kind of writing on the wall for us. Purdue was going to be be very good this season with what they had coming back-and then they added Caleb Swanigan. Gonzaga is a bad matchup for us both in personnel and style of play terms.

Now if those are blowout losses, never really competitive games, I think you might be right.

** Additionally, this poster made the interesting personal observation regarding: "he has more enthusiasm I have for a football coach who hasn't coached a game at Pitt over Dixon who is so highly regarded."

Nice post DT. I think it's beyond argument that Dixon is a good coach. The question is whether he has reached his ceiling. My personal belief is that we could be a lot better if we had the right players-not just talent wise but type wise. In this department I think the concerns about JD are more than justified. The fact is, we have been in desperate need of a couple of types of players for a couple of years now, but haven't been able to land them. The real problem is I don't see the urgency or the strategy in our recruiting even under these desperate circumstances.

As for this year's team, I remain skeptical as I'm not sure we have the guards to be good at either end of the floor. If we are relying on our grad transfer to be the big difference maker there, I think we're in some trouble. We also have a lot of health concerns that are unresolved.

I think if this team can match the achievements 13-14 team, JD has done a very respectable job. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the pipeline at this time to sustain that type of modest success. The recruiting problem needs to be fixed, and yesterday.

Nice post DT. I think it's beyond argument that Dixon is a good coach. The question is whether he has reached his ceiling. My personal belief is that we could be a lot better if we had the right players-not just talent wise but type wise. In this department I think the concerns about JD are more than justified. The fact is, we have been in desperate need of a couple of types of players for a couple of years now, but haven't been able to land them. The real problem is I don't see the urgency or the strategy in our recruiting even under these desperate circumstances.

As for this year's team, I remain skeptical as I'm not sure we have the guards to be good at either end of the floor. If we are relying on our grad transfer to be the big difference maker there, I think we're in some trouble. We also have a lot of health concerns that are unresolved.

I think if this team can match the achievements 13-14 team, JD has done a very respectable job. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the pipeline at this time to sustain that type of modest success. The recruiting problem needs to be fixed, and yesterday.
Nice response. Echoes my thoughts pretty much. Still amazing we can't land a shooting guard and center.

I think you all are overly optimistic...I just don't see or feel a vibrancy with this program...and to compete in today's world of college hoops you need real talent not these fringe players that you hope are going to grow up in their careers and mesh at some point...the other major programs that continue to be there at the end every year have that talent and we just don't get them.

Like DT, I am cautiously optimistic that the team will improve sufficiently to make the NCAAs and I don't see anything wrong with taking that attitude.

Going from 19-15 (with a fair number of games reasonably close prior to the opponent icing it with FTs late) to, say, between 22-12 and 24-10 (NCAA territory) should not be terribly difficult if injury issues are resolved.

I also believe that Dixon is a good coach as proven by his W-L record over the years (also, don't forget he won a U-19 world championship as our international coach--something bigger name coaches failed to do). However, I am not including recruiting in my definition here of what it means to be a good coach. I do believe, however, that Dixon, given a sufficiently talented roster will invariably make the NCAAs where many other coaches would not.

Like most, I am concerned about recent years recruiting results. I don't quite know to what to ascribe the problem. Candidates proposed have included--in no particular order--(1) churn among assistant coaches, (2) Dixon as a closer, (3) move to the ACC with loss of visibility in the Northeast and little to no recruiting presence in ACC country and (4) a perception that Pitt plays a particularly boring physical style of basketball. Maybe it is a combo of all of these things?

I am also concerned about the potential effects of recent changes in NCAA rules and officiating emphasis. I fear that these attempts to increase scoring will only serve to increase the advantage of player talent over coaching (especially defensive coaching) to the increased benefit of only the elite teams with the elite one and done and two and done talent. Since Pitt isn't and won't be among the truly elite I fear these changes may prove very detrimental to Pitt--irrespective of whether Dixon is our coach or he gets replaced a few years from now.

Last edited:
Nice response. Echoes my thoughts pretty much. Still amazing we can't land a shooting guard and center.
We have like 6 players who are 3-4 types, none of whom can handle the ball very well, no 2 guard other than our grad transfer, and an overall lack of backcourt scorers and ball handlers. Why Dixon continued to add those tweeners like Jeter when we already had too many guys like that is beyond me-and that's no knock on Jeter as a player, it's just that we didn't have any need for him. More and more, it seems like we just take whatever we can get at the end. That's not going to work.

And again, Dixon is no dummy. He knows the importance of having the right players. So where is the urgency, what is the master plan to address this problem? If there is any, it sure isn't visible to the casual observer.

I hope the new admin puts some emphasis on hoops and allocates some real resources to basketball recruiting.

The eligibility concern exists with the NCAA. If he is ruled ineligible, he can still do grad school at Pitt or any school of his choosing, so being registered doesn't tell the whole story.

Unfortunately, this is the case.

The truth is we haven't had a real scoring 2 guard since Jason Matthews. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but Page was about the next closest thing to a prototype scoring guard-and he had some real flaws offensively. Still wish we had a guy like that now. What a great man to man backcourt defender he was.

I am hopeful (not a prediction, but a stretch hope) that Chris Jones will become a little more of the needed 2 guard you have described in this post and other posts in the thread.

He does have moments when he looks like it. But those moments are not nearly consistent enough.

We all agree about the winning the tourney to be the ultimate goal, but at least making the final four is enough to raise the stature of the program (which is more or less what we need at this point).

Nonetheless, I know that many of the big donors were unhappy after last year. If we make the NCAA tourney, it kind of keeps them at bay.

The truth is we haven't had a real scoring 2 guard since Jason Matthews. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but Page was about the next closest thing to a prototype scoring guard-and he had some real flaws offensively. Still wish we had a guy like that now. What a great man to man backcourt defender he was.

Gibbs was really a scoring 2 guard, although he was listed as a PG.

I think you all are overly optimistic...I just don't see or feel a vibrancy with this program...and to compete in today's world of college hoops you need real talent not these fringe players that you hope are going to grow up in their careers and mesh at some point...the other major programs that continue to be there at the end every year have that talent and we just don't get them.

I mean, if that's the case, then those same major programs are going to be there year after year and our conversation shifts to whether or not Pitt can stay relevant as a top 25 team that hopes to land some Sweet 16s. Because that elite talent is going to keep going to the same schools.

As far as the recruiting concern.... IMO the thing that is needed most is success on the court. If the team makes some noise and is looking relevant on the national level, then good players sign up. Otherwise, who wants to go to a school like BC or Wake?... and have to endure loss after loss?

I just don't see any need to sign 5 star players. Dante Taylor was a 5 star... as was Khem Birch (well, something like 5 star... ranked way up there) and... look what happened with both of them. If Coach K, Petino and the like get the top ranked players and we get those ranked second... big deal. Kevin Ollie won a national championship with a team where the highest ranked players coming out of HS were around the 100 level.

You're right-He was, but he was so one dimensional (spot up shooter, period) he was not the versatile scorer that puts a ton of pressure on the D. That said, you're right, he was a scorer for sure and I can't believe He didn't come to mind when I posted before.

To me a prototype 2 guard should be able to shoot a high percentage from 3 and create his own shot/offense inside the arc.

The way the game and rules are today, you have to have guards that can get to the rim, or you're playing with one hand tied behind your back. And of course, in Jamie's ideal version of D, the 2 man needs to be an athletic man defender as well.

We all agree about the winning the tourney to be the ultimate goal, but at least making the final four is enough to raise the stature of the program (which is more or less what we need at this point).

Nonetheless, I know that many of the big donors were unhappy after last year. If we make the NCAA tourney, it kind of keeps them at bay.
A consistent top 20 team that challenges for an ACC championship every so often and by March is a legit FF contender every 3-4 years would be fine by me. The way the deck is stacked these days a NC seems out of reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chomp_Panther66

I don't think that an NCAA bid with a low seed and gone after the first weekend will be enough. Yeah, it will keep the hawks away for a year but it will not impress reasonably good recruits... and a non-NCAA season the following year, or more of the same and a collapse in 17/18, and Dixon could be gone.

The ball is in JD's hands and IMO he made the right moves over the summer so now it is up to him to get the team playing Pitt ball the way we used to... or better.

Given the fact that Young, Artis, Jeter, Jones, Robinson and Newkirk.... will all have another year under their belt and SHOULD be better... and Smith is almost surely a step up from Wright... and Maia and ANO are MUCH better than Randall and Uchebo.. and Slim may indeed be able to contribute this year.... having an expectation of just making the NCAA Tourney... is pretty weak IMO. Should be a sweet-16 team if Dixon can put them together as a team and they start taking their D seriously.

I found BMans post somewhat hopeful at least for me. This team failed last year because of poor defense and below average rebounding, at least for a Pitt team. If the defense can improve modestly, and the new guys bring back the rebounding some a return to the tournament seems like a good possibility. I prefer, over the long run, a return to the toughness from the early years.

I've always believed that experience matters. Especially with Dixon. Pitt should make the NCAA's this season and possibly do some damage in the tournament. Getting the 3 bigs was essential. His message to Jeter was rebound and play defense of SIT.

GIBBS.

I know-someone else called me out on that-can't believe I overlooked such an obvious one. One dimensional scorer, but a scorer for sure. The guy was a lights out shooter with a lightning quick release-he just couldn't create his own shot. Would love to have him back.

I have not posted in quite a while. The childish behavior has kept me away and become quite nauseating. It's fine to want more, but many on here are WAY too over the top with their criticism.

Dixon is a very good coach and still a better X and O coach than most. However, it is becoming quite apparent that he cannot get it done on the recruiting end. I believe that we need to get back to recruiting tough nosed players and don't think that we can win the way we have recruited the last few years.

I have not given up on the team though. We had one of the worst defenses that I have ever seen in my life last year. This is where we need to see most of our improvement. It is not too hard to believe that we can easily win another 4-6 games with just better defense and rebounding.

I do believe we'll make the tourney this year. However, it is no slam dunk.

Nice post DT. I agree with a lot of what you've stated including the notion that Dixon is a pretty good coach. What I find missing (and troubling) is the overall direction of the program. The trend is currently down. I doubt that any objective observer would argue this point. Recruiting is down, and results are also down. Can Dixon change the direction of the program? TBD, but I'll just say that righting a listing ship is never easy. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see much evidence of a turn around. We shall see.

Cruzer

Nice post DT. I agree with a lot of what you've stated including the notion that Dixon is a pretty good coach. What I find missing (and troubling) is the overall direction of the program. The trend is currently down. I doubt that any objective observer would argue this point. Recruiting is down, and results are also down. Can Dixon change the direction of the program? TBD, but I'll just say that righting a listing ship is never easy. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see much evidence of a turn around. We shall see.

Cruzer
I agree with everything you've said here Cruzer. I think we will trend up in the next two years (from this past year), but we certainly have been scrambling around on the recruiting end.

The question is let's say that we have a solid year next year and get to the Sweet 16? Is that evidence of a turn around even if Dixon can't secure 2 pretty good players with the remainder of the Fall 2016 recruiting.

Here's what's really interesting. Provided everyone sticks around, we could be even better for the 2016-2017 class than this upcoming year. But that team could have a minimum of 6 seniors.

The year to really worry about could be 2017-2018 if we don't get some things figured out with recruiting.

I know-someone else called me out on that-can't believe I overlooked such an obvious one. One dimensional scorer, but a scorer for sure. The guy was a lights out shooter with a lightning quick release-he just couldn't create his own shot. Would love to have him back.
His greatness dimmed in the PG role he was forced into his senior year. Didn't help that big Gary was gone and no one else screened so well. The kid was worn down by the time that epic CBI run arrived. Best shooter since Jason Mathews.

His greatness dimmed in the PG role he was forced into his senior year. Didn't help that big Gary was gone and no one else screened so well. The kid was worn down by the time that epic CBI run arrived. Best shooter since Jason Mathews.

In our offense, screenng is important. It's not something the current team us very good at, possibly because the two positions which usually screen the most , 4 and 5, were also our main scorers. . I was a litte surprised our offense was as decent as it was last season with the fairly ineffective screens Mike and Jamel set. Arguably, our other shooters weren't consistent enough to take advantage of good screening but it is somewhat a chicken or egg thing.

I am optimistic about this team for several reasons:

1. No Young at the 5 (this is assuming Maia gets here). I think Young playing smaller makes him a much better player. I'm sure he'd tell you the same thing. I also like the Center by committee with a shot-blocking specialist, a rebounding specialist, and a bruiser (if Nix is ready for this level).

2. I dont think guys like Artis, Jones, and Jeter will ever be great defenders but with another year in "the system," they wont be as bad defensively next year. I expect some improvement. Any improvement is a positive.

3. Experience: Although much different in styles, this team reminds me of ND last year. No one will think anything of us but we'll have one of the oldest, most experienced teams in the nation. That counts for something. It would not shock me if this team had a 09-10 kind of year and surprised everybody on their way to a very high seed.

In our offense, screenng is important. It's not something the current team us very good at, possibly because the two positions which usually screen the most , 4 and 5, were also our main scorers. . I was a litte surprised our offense was as decent as it was last season with the fairly ineffective screens Mike and Jamel set. Arguably, our other shooters weren't consistent enough to take advantage of good screening but it is somewhat a chicken or egg thing.
I recall a talking head did a little feature on Ashton's ability to cut sharply off a screen, not giving his defender time to re-engage. Said something to the effect that he was the best at that he'd ever seen. He was rated the #1 sniper in the country before the senior disappointment. Can't recall any kid looking more frustrated than Gibbs by the end of his career. Just bad luck, really.

I find myself mostly in agreement with your entire post a especially with the following:

In regards to recruiting...

"[the] move to the ACC with loss of visibility in the Northeast and little to no recruiting presence in ACC country"

I remember getting smacked down on this board several years ago for suggesting that this would become a major problem once we moved to the ACC. There is just no way that Pitt can compete for blue-chip recruits against the tobacco road royalty. There is a REASON why these three schools have dominated the ACC for decades. And they always will.

Also your remark about...

"recent changes in NCAA rules and officiating emphasis."

Pitt's "Patient Half Court Offense" - so annoying to some posters over the years - has actually facilitated many wins over teams with better talent. If you have lots of time for ball reversals and keep a defense guessing long enough, defenses unravel and open shots more easily develop. With shorter shot clocks there will be a lot less of that. The rich will get richer and the poor poorer. I don't think it a coincidence that Duke Grad Jay Bilas lobbied so vocally for this change.

It is interesting, I think, that during their inaugural seasons, former Big East powers Pitt and Syracuse started out like gangbusters. But it wasn't long before the ACC found ways to put both teams in their place. Look at the complete emasculation of the Syracuse program. It isn't that the 'Cuse didn't have a judgment coming. But it didn't come until the tobacco road royalty started getting nervous. I wonder, if it ever would have if 'Cuse had remained in the Big East.

'Cuse

What's interesting to me is that Pitts recent weakness and most posters concerns has been with the lack of an inside presence. With hopefully all the grad transfers making it here and Nix that's the least of Pitts problems. If Maia makes it here I can't see Nix losing a year of eligibly for 10 minutes of PT plus Luther redshirts. I personally have high hopes for Luther , two more years in the gym and in the system he'll be a force in his 4th &5th years at the 4 . With the current commit (Man... ) and I think they get the local kid (K) ,I'm bad with names , the front court is going to be solid for years which leads to the problem...the backcourt. They need guards , the good news is there's a lot more quality guards out there than bigs. I'd like to see Pitt concentrate their efforts on players they can land ,talk to the Winston's of the world ,but go out and recuirt the the top 100-150 kid ,don't go to them in desperation after you've lost out on all your primary targets. Make them your primary targets and let them know it. Pitt needs a new blueprint on recuirting spend 90% on solid system type players and them waste the 10% on the elite guys not the other way around.

You're right about Gibbs at PG. I always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that he moved to PG as a senior by mutual agreement with JD to maximize his shot at a pro career, because his only shot at the NBA would have been as a PG. Unfortunately it didn't work out very well. You;re right about McGhee as well, he was so valuable in the small, but critical ways that didn't show up on any stat sheet--at both ends of the floor. He was kind of like a Bill Laimbeer without the outside shot. We could sure use a player like that these days as well.

The Woodall and Gibbs weren't any all-Americans, but they were damned good--our backcourt then was so much better than it is these days. The fact that both of them could and would take and make an open three point shot at a good clip made a world of difference.

I recall a talking head did a little feature on Ashton's ability to cut sharply off a screen, not giving his defender time to re-engage. Said something to the effect that he was the best at that he'd ever seen. He was rated the #1 sniper in the country before the senior disappointment. Can't recall any kid looking more frustrated than Gibbs by the end of his career. Just bad luck, really.
Agree. We were so much more fundamentally sound then than we are now--our screening was a thing of beauty and Ashton ran off screens relentlessly. It reminded me a lot of the old Bob Knight Indiana teams where Steve Alford just ran off screens the entire game, averaged over 20 ppg without having to dribble a lick. As far as I'm concerned, if anyone ever needed evidence that Dixon is a damned good coach, look no further than the way those teams played. They were so sharp in the half court at both ends, it was a thing of beauty. I'm not sure what got lost in translation with the current group, other than the obvious problem that they aren't a very physical bunch, but maybe the light will come on now that they have been playing Jamie ball for a couple of years.

You're right about Gibbs at PG. I always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that he moved to PG as a senior by mutual agreement with JD to maximize his shot at a pro career, because his only shot at the NBA would have been as a PG. Unfortunately it didn't work out very well. You;re right about McGhee as well, he was so valuable in the small, but critical ways that didn't show up on any stat sheet--at both ends of the floor. He was kind of like a Bill Laimbeer without the outside shot. We could sure use a player like that these days as well.

The Woodall and Gibbs weren't any all-Americans, but they were damned good--our backcourt then was so much better than it is these days. The fact that both of them could and would take and make an open three point shot at a good clip made a world of difference.
Gibbs had Brad to get him the ball in 2011...not in 2012.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT