ADVERTISEMENT

Someone needs to build Pitt for the future...

FieldHouse12

Freshman
Oct 11, 2012
like the Penguins do , promote the blue and gold. give out free pizzas if you have to.
What are you doing Heather, ? volleyball.. that will make you 2k.
Its about PITT FOOTBALL !!

Did you know the San Diego Chargers play football at a college stadium and the Pitt Panthers play football at a NFL stadium? Poke poke poke.

Reactions: BFo8
like the Penguins do , promote the blue and gold. give out free pizzas if you have to.
What are you doing Heather, ? volleyball.. that will make you 2k.
Its about PITT FOOTBALL !!

I was just thinking about this today. Pens are great with giving cheap/free tickets to students. Basically make it part of their lives before they have money to spend with the hopes that it carries over when they do have money.

Now, obviously Pitt Students are already there. But what about HS kids? Is it going too far offer them free tickets? Or what about the other colleges in town when their college teams aren’t playing at home?

CMU/Duquesne/RMU folks are still Pittsburghers. We don’t compete with their schools, so why not try to get them engaged by offering cheap tickets

Reactions: Steeltheone
I guess I must have missed something. I sit on the visitor side and the home side looked pretty full, even the upper deck. I guess the visitor side was pretty empty? People may have moved there to get out of the sun?

But the upper deck on the home side was 2/3 full and the student section wasnt bad.

With all the empty seats on the visitor side they could give free tickets to several entire local high schools for non sell out games. Give them a free Tshirt, hot dog and a drink. What can it hurt?

Students have done a way better job this season attending and staying then the paying season ticket holder. Don’t underestimate the role that weather plays on student attendance. It’s been a nice warm September and the kids have come and stayed better than any other season in my opinion.

One thing Heather Lyke has done is revamp student attendance in both football and basketball. I've been very impressed.

Student tickets are less costly than a Netflix subscription. Next.

The problem isn't the students to begin with. That situation has improved over the past few years.

The problem is the adults who have season tickets and don't actually use them for games like this, and the inconsistent perfomance on the field by the actual team.

Pitt was ridiculed nationally for announcing the fact they provided snacks to kids on the buses riding back to campus, but hey handing everyone a free pizza on the way to the game is a magic bullet or something.

Pitt's number one problem has been and will continue to be winning often enough and convincingly enough to grow the fan base and to get people to show up more consistently.

Student tickets are less costly than a Netflix subscription. Next.

The problem isn't the students to begin with. That situation has improved over the past few years.

The problem is the adults who have season tickets and don't actually use them for games like this, and the inconsistent perfomance on the field by the actual team.

Pitt was ridiculed nationally for announcing the fact they provided snacks to kids on the buses riding back to campus, but hey handing everyone a free pizza on the way to the game is a magic bullet or something.

Pitt's number one problem has been and will continue to be winning often enough and convincingly enough to grow the fan base and to get people to show up more consistently.

Its chicken or the egg kind of thing. Cant recruit top kids when stadium is empty, therefore making it harder to win, but in a pro town with a pro mentality, the fans arent going to come if the team isnt winning at a huge clip. So we are stuck in that we will win 6-8 games a year in from of crowds of 35-40k.

Again, media was on Twitter saying there only had to be 25k there only looking at the visitor side. Where looking at the home side and not seeing the visitor side I thought thered be 45k. It looked good.

Again, media was on Twitter saying there only had to be 25k there only looking at the visitor side. Where looking at the home side and not seeing the visitor side I thought thered be 45k. It looked good.

I've never heard a good explanation for why the cameras are pointed to the visitor's side instead of the home side at Heinz for Pitt games.

In 19 seasons, you'd think someone would have decided to move them, even if it takes some retrofitting.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I'd go after alumni families instead. 2 adults buy tix, their kids get in free. Something like that.

You must have gotten into some of the good stuff.

Other than the student sections, there was not one section on the home side of the field that was half full. Not one. Most of them weren't even close. If someone was saying 25,000 they were probably guessing too high.

1737256_web1_gtr-Pitt01-092919.jpg

That's in the second quarter. Look at the background of that photo.

You must have gotten into some of the good stuff.

Other than the student sections, there was not one section on the home side of the field that was half full. Not one. Most of them weren't even close. If someone was saying 25,000 they were probably guessing too high.
Bullshit. Let me guess, you sit on the home side.

I'll take a pic next time and post it. The upper deck on the home side had far more people than I expected.

Sure looks like that’s a pic of the visitor side not the home side??

And that's what I'm saying. People typically with the view of the visitor side constantly say attendance is like 25k. People with the view of the home say 45k. Truth is most likely in the middle and was 35k.

I was surprised at the home side upper deck. A lot of people probably went up and over there to get in the shade.

Most youth programs play on Saturdays, so that is an issue. BUT you can reach out to local youth leagues, tell them you want to honor youth football a certain Saturday for a game like Ohio or Delaware and ask if they could make that their league BYE week or have them play all games on a Sunday for one week. ORGANIZE IT BETWEEN LEAGUE PRESIDENTS. Get them ON the field, buy them a gatorade and hot dog. At halftime, punt pass and kick competition and a 40 yd and 100 yd dash race for prizes. GOLDEN and great for creating some pride in this city. I wish I had a job in Pitt's sports marketing program!:D There are also 7th and 8th grade teams that play midweek, can extend offers to that level too.

My midget football team from the 70's used to attend PITT games. We would wear our game jerseys and there were other youth teams and cheerleaders there. Fun times.

Bullshit. Let me guess, you sit on the home side.

Actually no. I sit in the first row of the upper deck on the visitors side. I have a perfect view of how many people are sitting on the home side. And if I look over the edge I get a really good look at how many people are sitting in the lower level on the visitors side too.

Anyone who thinks that there were anywhere close to 44,000 people actually in that stadium on Saturday has lost their minds.

Wait, so you guys seriously think that there were something like 35,000 people sitting on the home side and 10,000 sitting on the visitors side?

Good lord.

Other than the student/band sections there was not one section on the home side that was even half full. Not one. And most of them weren't even close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT