ADVERTISEMENT

Special Teams percentage of game outcome?

Jakhny

Scholarship
Jul 8, 2016
I think special team play more significant than I suspect others think it is. What say you. I'm going with 20%.

I think special team play more significant than I suspect others think it is. What say you. I'm going with 20%.
Varies game to game. It is always important. Sometimes more. sometimes less.

Yes, it varies each game just like offense and defense varies each game or perhaps more accurately just like QB or linebacker play varies in importance each game. But overall, on average, what do you think?

Agreed it varies, if its really bad it can be up to 80%, IMO , bad snaps, inside the 15 muffs, etc. 2 blocked kicks, etc.,

For us last year it was a big part of the game. Way more than 20%! Teams that have offenses that can move the ball and score points have some latitude on STs. Us not so much!

Reactions: Saboteur II
It seems like so many times when you miss an extra point or field goal you say, “that will come back to haunt us” more than when there is a dropped TD pass. If you miss a kick, you don’t get another chance. It’s the other team’s ball. Dropping a TD pass a lot of the times is not on 4th down, so you get another chance or at least you can get points with a FG.

I heard a coach once say, “You don’t realize how important special teams are until you screw up on them.”

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT