ADVERTISEMENT

Sporting News predictions

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...tate-lamar-jackson/1ub0y0c8d3pts13v0n5xz6vuf0

ACC Coastal predictions
1. Miami, Fla.

2. Virginia Tech

3. Pitt

4. Georgia Tech

5. North Carolina

6. Duke

7. Virginia

Champion: Miami, Fla.
That didn't take long. Mark Richt should lead the Hurricanes to that long-awaited first appearance in the ACC championship game, but that's assuming Malik Rosier steps up at quarterback. Mark Walton is an all-ACC stud running back, and the defense has talent. Now it's time to go out and get it done.

X-Factor: Transfer QBs
Former USC quarterback Max Browne is at Pitt, and former LSU quarterback Brandon Harris is at North Carolina. Can both of those highly-touted recruits energize their offenses enough to make it interesting?

Sleeper: Pitt
Georgia Tech also is a possibility here, but we like what Browne could do for Pitt's straightforward attack in Pat Narduzzi's third season. Remember, Pitt beat Penn State and Clemson last season, but the Panthers also were wildly inconsistent. A bonus on the schedule is no Florida State, Clemson or Louisville.

Most generous projection I've seen. David Hale had Pitt 5th and some other probjection I saw had them 6th, only ahead of Virginia... I think 3rd is a fair projection.

Also, if the Nits' fan base wasn't so insufferable, I'd almost rather Pitt beat Miami than PSU this year. Everyone picking Miami #1, and Pitt needs to prove they can actually beat that team.

Most generous projection I've seen. David Hale had Pitt 5th and some other probjection I saw had them 6th, only ahead of Virginia... I think 3rd is a fair projection.

Also, if the Nits' fan base wasn't so insufferable, I'd almost rather Pitt beat Miami than PSU this year. Everyone picking Miami #1, and Pitt needs to prove they can actually beat that team.
I'll take a Miami win over PSU any day if it means winning the coastal.

Looks good. I guess I haven't been keeping up to date, but is North Carolina supposed to take that big of a step back?

Looks good. I guess I haven't been keeping up to date, but is North Carolina supposed to take that big of a step back?
UNC lost their QB, RB, and all of their main receivers. Also their defensive coordinator. I'm not sure how their transfer QB will fit their offense, but they lost more than we did, and have less obvious replacements.

Interesting that the writer characterizes Pitt's offense as a "straightforward attack". I always thought that the cornerstone of Canada's offense was to create deception and mismatches.

Straightforward- compared to the triple option of GT. Context is king! Also we were a power running team with a few jet sweeps and shovel passes to keep the d honest with people in the box.

UNC lost their QB, RB, and all of their main receivers. Also their defensive coordinator. I'm not sure how their transfer QB will fit their offense, but they lost more than we did, and have less obvious replacements.
That's good to hear. It's about time we beat those guys, and this should be the year to do it!

Reactions: crosbymalkin8771

I don't know LSU QB transfer at UNC, but I imagine you're bad if you can't play QB there - you might be pretty bad. They would kill for a QB.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Interesting that the writer characterizes Pitt's offense as a "straightforward attack". I always thought that the cornerstone of Canada's offense was to create deception and mismatches.
I had the same thought when I read this. Often the writers of these broad-ranging prediction pieces don't really kmow what they're talking about. Picking us #24 in the country is a stretch too given that we're breaking in a new QB, yet another OC and playbook, and given how young and inexperienced the defense is.

There's not much difference in the teams between 15 and 35. Much like last year Pitt will fall within that range this season but so does most of their opponents.

I had the same thought when I read this. Often the writers of these broad-ranging prediction pieces don't really kmow what they're talking about. Picking us #24 in the country is a stretch too given that we're breaking in a new QB, yet another OC and playbook, and given how young and inexperienced the defense is.

Last edited:

Well their tranfer qb was terrible at LSU, and had enough snaps to judge unlike Max

Clay Helton saw enough snaps to judge.

True enough, but Helton sat Browne in favor of a guy who is the near unanimous choice to go #1 overall in next years draft.

Harris is a guy who left LSU just playing above the usual prospects/suspects they always seem to have at the QB position.

With the caveat that health is always the key, to me that sounds about right. I would be disappointed if in Year 3 if we took too big of a step backwards from last year. It's time to start advancing.

On offense, my concern is not the quarterback. I think the quarterback should play well. I think we will be less efficient but more explosive vertically because of the quarterback.

My concern is with the OL. We blew a lot of people off the LOS last year but we are losing some good players from that OL and it's going to be a challenge replacing them. Compounding that issue is the Bookser situation, which makes things somewhat concerning there.

On defense, we obviously have to replace the interior guys and that is obviously a concern. However, we should be much more athletic all over the field and that should alleviate a lot of those issues.

I think the real question is depth. We just don't have a lot of depth at some key spots. For example with no depth whatsoever at tight end. That's going to improve next year and the year after but it is a concern for this year.

Also, if the quarterback gets hurt, all of this goes out the window. We don't really have a lot behind him.

However, all things considered, I think a third-place Coastal finish is highly attainable.

I think the Ok State game will be a big tell about Pitt's defense and the team's ability to compete with Miami's speed. Not dissing PSU but their offense is still a bit inconsistent and Ok State has the best group of WR's in the nation. I think Pitt vs Va Tech is a toss-up this far out but I'm pretty pleased to see the Costal stepping up. ACC is a really good football conference.

If Pitt really is #24 at end of the year and finishes third in the division, that would mean beating one each of Ok State/PSU and VaTech/Miami. I know there will be guys cry about that finish on this board if it's "only" an 8 win season but I would feel good about that considering what personnel was lost.

I would take a win over Miami over PSU any day as they are in our division and that is what it is all about.
so you are saying you would have been more thrilled and had more joy than you had at the moment Ryan Lewis secured the win against Penn State than you would have had he secured the "coastal" doing same? Don't forget, you are hooked up to a polygraph here...

Last edited:
The annoying fans hanging on our board tells me that we are a rival to them but I get no more up for PSU than WVU or ND or Miami.

Yes, I would rather beat Miami to win the Coastal over a regular season game with out of conference PSU.

so you are saying you would have been more thrilled and had more joy than you had at the moment Ryan Lewis secured the win against Penn State than you would have had he secured the "coastal" doing same? Don't forget, you are hooked up to a polygraph here...

The annoying fans hanging on our board tells me that we are a rival to them but I get no more up for PSU than WVU or ND or Miami.

Yes, I would rather beat Miami to win the Coastal over a regular season game with out of conference PSU.
that is not what I asked...I asked if you would have had the same (more according to you)feeling of joy and jubilation that came with that win over Penn State with a win over Miami to secure something called a "coastal"? If it is not part of some path to the National championship then I don't get it. ....guessing you are a kid and I'll give ya a pass on history, tradition and appropriate levels of good old fashion hate...

Reactions: Panther Holla
that is not what I asked...I asked if you would have had the same (more according to you)feeling of joy and jubilation that came with that win over Penn State with a win over Miami to secure something called a "coastal"? If it is not part of some path to the National championship then I don't get it. ....guessing you are a kid and I'll give ya a pass on history, tradition and appropriate levels of good old fashion hate...
Good. Old. Fashioned. Hate..... I dig.

These predictions ( on 2 ply paper) are wonderful and its a "feel good" pre season even but the only thing that counts are the actual on the field results!

PITT needs to be more consistent and learn how to "pull out" close games or we'll be a middle of the pack ACC team.

I'm a bit concerned losing a DT ( Taleni), Tipton ( non football injury), and maybe Bookster ( auditioning for the show COPS) before we've had any contact. We always loss a few once fall practice starts, and throughout the season but starting 2 or maybe 3 in the hole isn good.

I wonder what are stats are for losing starters pre season compared to other P5 teams. For some reason the Nitters never seem to lose anyone or they keep it within the tightly controlled State College Nitter news network!

Last edited:
BTW, every Coastal team has a new QB starting this year.
You come up with some good stuff /sometimes!
Frisbee-Catcher--129799.jpg

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...tate-lamar-jackson/1ub0y0c8d3pts13v0n5xz6vuf0

ACC Coastal predictions
1. Miami, Fla.

2. Virginia Tech

3. Pitt

4. Georgia Tech

5. North Carolina

6. Duke

7. Virginia

Champion: Miami, Fla.
That didn't take long. Mark Richt should lead the Hurricanes to that long-awaited first appearance in the ACC championship game, but that's assuming Malik Rosier steps up at quarterback. Mark Walton is an all-ACC stud running back, and the defense has talent. Now it's time to go out and get it done.

X-Factor: Transfer QBs
Former USC quarterback Max Browne is at Pitt, and former LSU quarterback Brandon Harris is at North Carolina. Can both of those highly-touted recruits energize their offenses enough to make it interesting?

Sleeper: Pitt
Georgia Tech also is a possibility here, but we like what Browne could do for Pitt's straightforward attack in Pat Narduzzi's third season. Remember, Pitt beat Penn State and Clemson last season, but the Panthers also were wildly inconsistent. A bonus on the schedule is no Florida State, Clemson or Louisville.
At this point, predicting Pitt at 3rd in the Coastal is a stretch IMO. We lost a ton of firepower on offense (including our OC). I can't imagine that we will score like we did last year. I do think the offense has a chance to be pretty good, but we will be a step back from last year. The entire season will come down to our defense. We absolutely have to make significant improvements on defense in order to just replicate last year's overall record. We won 3 games last year where our opponents scored 39, 42, and 61 points. If our offense steps back even a little without significant defensive improvement, it could be a pretty mediocre year. I'm hopeful that some of the young guys will step up on the defensive side of the ball, but some of our journeymen who are slated to start leave a lot to be desired. A potential starting lineup that includes Dennis Briggs, Rori Blair, Phillipe Motley, Sean Idowu, and even Avonte Maddox doesn't give me cause for much optimism. Until Pitt has a defense that proves it can keep teams from scoring in droves, I think 4th or 5th in the conference is all that I can see and I certainly don't see this team in the top 25 right now. Hope I'm wrong, but I could have made a small fortune betting the under when it comes to Pitt performance in the past 25 years.

Cruzer

Agree, winning the coastal does substantially more for the program imo. Their fans are going to be annoying regardless of what happens in that game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT