ADVERTISEMENT

Stallings coming back to Pittsburgh

Of course you wouldn't. Because you were just about his biggest supporter right up until that position became so untenable it was ridiculous. Or, to be more accurate, until well after it had become ridiculous.
Yeah me and his wife !
I wasn’t pleased with anything about the coaching mess , but why let the facts interfere with your fantasy land you live in . I couldn’t believe Pitt would hire the coach who blocked SJ , but once SJ came out for him I was willing to give the guy a chance once he was hired . The last time I checked what other option was there . Now if I only had the influence joe the panther fan has maybe I could’ve altered Pitts course . You and Heather the saviors of Pitt bb . From now on your new name to me will be The Savior whose never wrong . The Savior for short .

Yeah me and his wife !

You post that like it's a joke, but the fact of the matter is that the people here who pay attention know that it's true. You were just about the last of the proverbial rats to flea the sinking ship. I know you like to pretend now that it isn't the case, that you never really wanted him and never thought that he was a good hire, but people here know better.

Reactions: Jpripper88
The truth is PITT admin mismanaged the PITT basketball program, allowing the previous coaches ( I forget his name) poor recruiting and on the court performance to last as long as it did, making a bad hire in Stalling, and inking /signing a terrible contract in favor of Stalling.

Stalling did a terrible job as the PITT basketball coach, but as far as stealing millions its more like PITT made a voluntary contribution to the Stalling retirement fund and PITT was guilty of mismanagement of the PITT basketball program.

It seems as like Lyke gets it and this stuff isn't going to happen on her watch!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

I agree that the Pitt administration mismanaged the Pitt basketball program. But let's stick with facts. That previous coach in his last year at Pitt had a 21-12 record and his overall winning % is 0.713. In his worst year, his on court performance was 100 times better than anything that Stallings could hope for in his wettest dreams. And you're right....Barnes and Gallagher did the worst job imaginable when they hired Stallings. Both should have been fired on the spot.

I don't know how far Lyke will go with Pitt or if her influence will continue as it does now. But Gallagher should have been fired, and not just because of the silly basketball stuff. Under his watch, Pitt's standing in the academic community is being degraded and he's busy with a basketball hire and who knows what else. But he's certainly not taking care of what's important and what a Chancellor is hired to do.

You post that like it's a joke, but the fact of the matter is that the people here who pay attention know that it's true. You were just about the last of the proverbial rats to flea the sinking ship. I know you like to pretend now that it isn't the case, that you never really wanted him and never thought that he was a good hire, but people here know better.
Dear Savior ,
You should do your research better . Didn’t like the hire from the get go , but I was willing to give him a chance , as I’ve said what other choice was there ? He bombed with JDs seniors and when he lost both Thompson and Cam I was beyond hope that he’d ever succeed here . Early on last season I predicted zero conference wins , but what would any reasonable person expect with a roster full of unheralded freshman recruits with zero upperclassman support . Those like yourself who expected more were not being realistic .
Was Pitt fair to KS firing him after two yrs with the program basically starting over , no , but the world isn’t fair . Would he have won some conference games and shown progress this coming season yr ... I think so . Where Brown , Stewart , Carr , Stevenson and Davis the best freshman group at Pitt since Young and Artis .. I think so by a mile .
Nobody including the Savior would have ever expected Pitt to land a coach with the recruiting abilities of JC . My hats off to Heather to have the guts to eat such a large contract and sign JC . Pitt is headed in a direction I never would’ve expected and in a few seasons Pitt will have a roster that will be able to compete in the ACC . That’s a statement I wouldn’t make whether JD was still here or if they retained KS . The last two miserable season have a golden lining , without them JC would never be the Pitt HC .
Ps ... my finding offense with those of you who personally attacked a man with whom they don't know and never meet offended me . The reaction to JDs departure was quite different than KS wasn’t it ? Not one player left when JD left while at one point the entire team was out of
here . The three best players did leave and that wouldn’t have happened if there wasn’t a coaching change .
I also had a problem with Pitt trying to renege on the horrible contract they willing signed . Fire him pay him end of story !

I agree that the Pitt administration mismanaged the Pitt basketball program. But let's stick with facts. That previous coach in his last year at Pitt had a 21-12 record and his overall winning % is 0.713. In his worst year, his on court performance was 100 times better than anything that Stallings could hope for in his wettest dreams. And you're right....Barnes and Gallagher did the worst job imaginable when they hired Stallings. Both should have been fired on the spot.

I don't know how far Lyke will go with Pitt or if her influence will continue as it does now. But Gallagher should have been fired, and not just because of the silly basketball stuff. Under his watch, Pitt's standing in the academic community is being degraded and he's busy with a basketball hire and who knows what else. But he's certainly not taking care of what's important and what a Chancellor is hired to do.
I’m not thinking sports performance is a make or break job qualification requirement for a chancellor of a university . Now if the chancellor oversees programs that permits PSU or MSU like abuses that’s another thing . The AD absolutely .

He also said that there was no chance Pitt would fire Stallings because they were too cheap, then no chance they'd hire a good coach because it would be too expensive after the buyout, then no good coach would ever get top players because Pitt isn't serious about sports.

Then there was his whole spiel about how Stallings couldn't sign players in his first summer because such players "didn't exist". Capel seems to disagree.

He also said that there was no chance Pitt would fire Stallings because they were too cheap, then no chance they'd hire a good coach because it would be too expensive after the buyout, then no good coach would ever get top players because Pitt isn't serious about sports.

Then there was his whole spiel about how Stallings couldn't sign players in his first summer because such players "didn't exist". Capel seems to disagree.
Your right , but there was nothing in the past history of Pitt athletics with the exception of the Golden Panther era where money wasn’t a major factor in any major ( pun ) decision like this . Even you Mr Knowitall couldn’t envision the hiring of a coach with the ability to legally recruit players to Pitt the way JC is capable of doing .
Why weren’t all the other coaches out there in need of players for this upcoming season able to convince these players to reclassify and sign them as JC has done ? These guys weren’t unknown ! He’s just that good of recruiter and KS or JD are not in his league . Heather pulled a Golden Panther out of her hat .
Pitt desperately needs a big man for next season just like KS needed a point guard his first year . If he fails to land someone to fill those needs and it’s the reason that they play losing ball in the ACC is it because JC is too lazy to get someone or is it maybe because that there’s no one out there that he feels will help or could sign ?
Had everyone decided to stay and JC honored his statement that he wouldn’t force anyone out and then cleaned house after his first yr would you be crying about that the way you did with KS and JDs leftovers ?
I’m willing to admit that Heather and those above her made a very $urpri$ing decision , that still doesn’t mean I wanted the KS era to continue . Because people like you and others who constantly took personal shots at a man they didn’t know and would never have the guts to confront him in person doesn’t mean I supported his continuing employment .

Ps ... my finding offense with those of you who personally attacked a man with whom they don't know and never meet offended me .

The fact that you couldn't, and still can't, separate attacks on someone's abilities and job performance with attacks on them personally is almost as funny as you now trying to pretend that you weren't probably Stallings' biggest supporter right up until about the middle of February. Or was it the end of February?

Saying that Stallings was a mediocre coach at best and that he was now obviously well past his best wasn't a personal attack. It was a statement of fact. Just because you refused to recognize what was staring you in the face doesn't mean that everyone who was right was doing something offensive. It just means that you had no idea what you were talking about. What really offends you is the people that you spent the better part of two years berating for not being as big a supporter of Stallings that you were turned out to be right. Because just like you apparently can't separate criticism of abilities from personal attacks you also couldn't separate being a Pitt fan from being a Stallings fan.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Pitt desperately needs a big man for next season just like KS needed a point guard his first year . If he fails to land someone to fill those needs and it’s the reason that they play losing ball in the ACC is it because JC is too lazy to get someone or is it maybe because that there’s no one out there that he feels will help or could sign ?

The giant difference is that Stallings needed to fill ONE hole to make that an NCAA team, and he failed to do it.

Capel had SEVERAL holes and has filled a bunch, and even with a that major upgrade of better recruits this team is still so devoid of talent, they won’t sniff the NIT.

A truly bizarre comparison.

The giant difference is that Stallings needed to fill ONE hole to make that an NCAA team, and he failed to do it.

Capel had SEVERAL holes and has filled a bunch, and even with a that major upgrade of better recruits this team is still so devoid of talent, they won’t sniff the NIT.

A truly bizarre comparison.
So you think on a team that needs players at every position it’s ok to stay status quo while on a team that was pretty solid talent wise you think KS should have come in and made major changes to the bench and find a pg who would could come into to a senior laden team who already had chemistry issues and takeover the leadership role . Your asking a lot of this unknown pg . Plus you have no idea if they tried and failed to find a pg who could step into a very difficult situation .
A very bizarre opinion !

The fact that you couldn't, and still can't, separate attacks on someone's abilities and job performance with attacks on them personally is almost as funny as you now trying to pretend that you weren't probably Stallings' biggest supporter right up until about the middle of February. Or was it the end of February?

Saying that Stallings was a mediocre coach at best and that he was now obviously well past his best wasn't a personal attack. It was a statement of fact. Just because you refused to recognize what was staring you in the face doesn't mean that everyone who was right was doing something offensive. It just means that you had no idea what you were talking about. What really offends you is the people that you spent the better part of two years berating for not being as big a supporter of Stallings that you were turned out to be right. Because just like you apparently can't separate criticism of abilities from personal attacks you also couldn't separate being a Pitt fan from being a Stallings fan.
I have no problems with anyone attacking a coach or a team on it’s performance , once again your just making up your story as you go . I think the only time I was excited in Pitts potential under KS was after their victory over Maryland and then their performance against ND two yrs ago . After that Pitt pretty much went in the tank under KS . I guess you just remember what you want to , but the personal attacks on his character were unrelenting . I guess you just choose to ignore it and think that’s an acceptable way to conduct oneself . He was a lousy coach for Pitt who should’ve never been hired , but that doesn’t make him a despicable human being .
I can see that difference can you ?

So you think on a team that needs players at every position it’s ok to stay status quo while on a team that was pretty solid talent wise you think KS should have come in and made major changes to the bench and find a pg who would could come into to a senior laden team who already had chemistry issues and takeover the leadership role . Your asking a lot of this unknown pg . Plus you have no idea if they tried and failed to find a pg who could step into a very difficult situation .
A very bizarre opinion !

Here’s my problem with Stallings.

The guy had a very, very long track record that clearly showed he wasn’t a great coach, but by no means was he a lousy one either.

His record at Pitt was pretty obvious proof that he didn’t give a shit and was just collecting a paycheck. So basically screw him.

I guess I’m damning him with faint praise when I say his record proves he wasn’t nearly the turd he was here at Pitt.

Here’s my problem with Stallings.

The guy had a very, very long track record that clearly showed he wasn’t a great coach, but by no means was he a lousy one either.

His record at Pitt was pretty obvious proof that he didn’t give a shit and was just collecting a paycheck. So basically screw him.

I guess I’m damning him with faint praise when I say his record proves he wasn’t nearly the turd he was here at Pitt.
First off I’m glad he’s gone , I do think given time he could of have gotten Pitt to the middle of the ACC , but no better . He just didn’t have the support of really anyone other than the players . If he was mailing it in who’d have known better than the players and they all stood firmly behind him . Not one word of man I’m glad he’s gone . Since I have no inside scoop their reactions and actions ( transfers ) speak loudly to me .
I blame the miseries of the last two years solely at the feet of the administrators and “big “ boosters , KS only took a job he’d have been a fool to take a pass on . Unfortunately for all concerned it was just a horrible fit .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT