ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford Cutting 11 Sports

That really sucks. As a wrestling fan it sucks seeing another D1 program get cut. I am sure the other sports had their share of cuts too. I feel bad for all student athletes (which participants in these sports usually are) that either now need to transfer or lose their sport.

I do have one question though. What is lightweight rowing?

That really sucks. As a wrestling fan it sucks seeing another D1 program get cut. I am sure the other sports had their share of cuts too. I feel bad for all student athletes (which participants in these sports usually are) that either now need to transfer or lose their sport.

I never heard of lightweight rowing. Volleyball is a big surprise to me. I thought they were a powerhouse in that sport.

How can they possibly afford to keep those sports...
xcdto6rnan951.jpg

I never heard of lightweight rowing. Volleyball is a big surprise to me. I thought they were a powerhouse in that sport.

There are only 23 Division 1 men's volleyball teams. There are only 20 D1 men's fencing teams and 26 D1 women's fencing teams. There are only 30 men's rowing teams.

Sailing, squash, lightweight rowing, and synchronized swimming aren't NCAA-sponsored sports.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I am really having trouble understanding this. Stanford is among the richest schools in the US. It is 4th in overall endowment (yes I know that is not for sports, but still representative of their overall wealth).

There is a message here. Stanford is sending some sort of message. Not just financial viability but maybe the whole structure of college sports. This school took so much pride in winning the Director's Cup, of its overall athletic program. And just jettison these sports supposedly "for good" like it is some DIII school is confusing and concerning.

So...is this an "FU" at football for causing this, or is this an "FU" at the rest of the sports and putting them, and Title IX in its place to serve the master of Football?

Isn’t Syracuse bring it back? The Big Ten and the Northeast will always have wrestling and Oklahoma. The West coast and Southeast will have a few schools.

I was speculating if we would ever see wrestling again given the coronavirus.

I am really having trouble understanding this. Stanford is among the richest schools in the US. It is 4th in overall endowment (yes I know that is not for sports, but still representative of their overall wealth).

There is a message here. Stanford is sending some sort of message. Not just financial viability but maybe the whole structure of college sports. This school took so much pride in winning the Director's Cup, of its overall athletic program. And just jettison these sports supposedly "for good" like it is some DIII school is confusing and concerning.

So...is this an "FU" at football for causing this, or is this an "FU" at the rest of the sports and putting them, and Title IX in its place to serve the master of Football?

I dont think its sending any message. They had far more sports than the majority of schools out there and are cutting some that many do not participate in in order to save money. I thougbt I read somewhere they annually ran their budget at around a 12m loss and due to covid it was going to 25m.

They still support a decent amount of sports.

I dont think its sending any message. They had far more sports than the majority of schools out there and are cutting some that many do not participate in in order to save money. I thougbt I read somewhere they annually ran their budget at around a 12m loss and due to covid it was going to 25m.

They still support a decent amount of sports.
Yeah looking at the sports being cut, aside from Men's vball and wrestling, really they were fluff sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT