ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford

Of course you do great Oracle - but if you’re not in room I don’t care what you think you know - it’s all second or third hand - EVEN FOR YOU!
Of course, people writing spouting off about these things weren't too lazy to use the simple google machine, they may not report such inaccurate things as fact. What is embarrassing is when they insist on dying on such a hill. You see the same nonsense over and over again. My favorite is how the B10 members all share all of their research money.

Last edited:
And you have to have data to share. This is where research comes into play!
Well, I don't mean they share data generated from research undertaken by their faculty. That all gets published and is publicly available anyway. There's no secret, exclusive academic research data sharing cabal.

I'm was talking about metrics like sharing faculty and staff salary information, that sort of thing, which helps the members keep themselves operationally competitive with their peers.

UNL wasn't removed by "Big 10 presidents". They were removed by a vote of the 60-some AAU presidents because they were culling members that no longer fit the profile. 11 of the 60 AAU members just happened to be presidents of B10 schools. At minimum, it was reported that Michigan and Wisconsin voted to expel. Supposedly, Michigan and Wisconsin served on the committee recommending they be removed, so they helped lead the process.

The AAU is not a B10 institution nor does it matter one iota which athletic conference schools are in.
The B1G has one requirement and one requirement only:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: plcp
The B1G has one requirement and one requirement only:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Because of that $, they can pick and choose. So if they are evaluating two equivalent schools that will bring them more $, and one is a major research institution (with AAU) membership and other isn't, they're going take the one that looks most like their existing membership. It helps sell the addition to the presidents and they can parrot all the academic bs to paper over the real motivations.

If there is a big time possible member out there, they're going to take the $ like you said. Whether FSU will do that for them is a different question. But FSU has and is growing its research infrastructure, so it isn't like they are making a decision on a school like Boise State, and it wouldn't be that uncomfortable of an addition for them from an institutional fit perspective.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Of course, people writing spouting off about these things weren't too lazy to use the simple google machine, they may not report such inaccurate things as fact. What is embarrassing is when they insist on dying on such a hill. You see the same nonsense over and over again. My favorite is how the B10 members all share all of their research money.
I didn’t state anything as fact - only what was being reported but you remarked as it was fact because…”I know”, but like I said…if you’re not in the room - YOU DON’T KNOW!

Irrespective of how much you pontificate and give the impression you’re connected and have detailed insight on every institution in the country.

And then try weak arse attempt at insulting someone from not using Google to fact check. Laughable!

I didn’t state anything as fact - only what was being reported but you remarked as it was fact because…”I know”, but like I said…if you’re not in the room - YOU DON’T KNOW!

Irrespective of how much you pontificate and give the impression you’re connected and have detailed insight on every institution in the country.

And then try weak arse attempt at insulting someone from not using Google to fact check. Laughable!

"I think it would lack integrity to pretend that academics drove the process [of the Big 10 adding Nebraska]," [Wisconsin Carolyn Chancellor] Martin told the newspaper.

Martin reversed course [from her Big 10 vote to invite Nebraska]. She was a member of the [AAU] membership review committee that unanimously opposed Nebraska.

"We lost two Big Ten colleagues," [Nebraska Chancellor Havey] Perlman wrote in an April 11 email to his UNL vice chancellors while attending an AAU gathering in Washington.

"I guess I was disappointed," he said. However, he said, he respected their votes and doesn't think their votes contradicted their earlier decisions to accept UNL's entry into the Big Ten. "I am prepared to believe that they, in good faith, believed that we were a good university to join the Big Ten and that in accordance with the membership criteria of the AAU we were not eligible to continue there," he said.

735315a5b6234fbacc74d46bf9c1abb51b2b7173.jpg

Yes, I know.

Last edited:

"I think it would lack integrity to pretend that academics drove the process [of the Big 10 adding Nebraska]," [Wisconsin Carolyn Chancellor] Martin told the newspaper.

Martin reversed course [from her Big 10 vote to invite Nebraska]. She was a member of the [AAU] membership review committee that unanimously opposed Nebraska.

"We lost two Big Ten colleagues," [Nebraska Chancellor Havey] Perlman wrote in an April 11 email to his UNL vice chancellors while attending an AAU gathering in Washington.

"I guess I was disappointed," he said. However, he said, he respected their votes and doesn't think their votes contradicted their earlier decisions to accept UNL's entry into the Big Ten. "I am prepared to believe that they, in good faith, believed that we were a good university to join the Big Ten and that in accordance with the membership criteria of the AAU we were not eligible to continue there," he said.

Yes, I know.

Yes, I know.
And how does this change the reporting from the ESPN senior writer Andrea Anderson who wrote AAU membership is a roadblock for FSU to the Big 10. Quite frankly, I don’t care if they stay go or quit playing football altogether.

You’re missing the point - having even a lame arse Rutgers in that market allows you to increase subscriptions fees and potentially streaming. And as much as you may think ND and PSU own that market, you cant charge subscription fees because of two “outside” teams. And from all the reporting FSU not being AAU is a deal killer for Big 10 presidents.

They didnt need Rutgers to get NJ cable companies to pay for BTN. The Big Ten was complete idiots to think that. That Facebook Fan map from 2014 or around there showed they were the #3 team in NJ outside of the area right around Piscataway. Terrible, terrible move by the Big Ten.

And how does this change the reporting from the ESPN senior writer Andrea Anderson who wrote AAU membership is a roadblock for FSU to the Big 10. Quite frankly, I don’t care if they stay go or quit playing football altogether.
It doesn't, but she's wrong if she stated that. If they want FSU, it won't be a roadblock. If they're luke warm about FSU, it's not going to help the Noles' cause. Just like the repeated times the B10 went after Notre Dame over the last 40 years, it isn't going to keep them from taking $omeone they want. Yes AAU status would make it easier to sell to their presidents who would vote on adding another geographic outlier; it is not a roadblock if the money is right. Institutional fit is a plus not a deciding factor unless it is so far outside the bell curve of existing members. FSU isn't enough of a outlier from other Big Ten schools for that alone to keep them out if they were a homerun financially. In fact, FSU can easily be argued to be a better school than Oregon, with better comparable metrics for both undergrad and research elements. Likely the only reason Oregon is a member of the AAU is because they got in 50+ years ago. A Boise St or WVU would always probably be too different institutionally and not just because they don't have a AAU merit badge. And this may be what you are missing: there are very good major research schools that aren't in the AAU due to legacy or some other reseason, that otherwise, institutionally, smell a lot like...and may be more productive...than AAU members. It's what I've said over and over for decades. It is actually what the Big Ten has said themselves. There is no AAU requirement, never has been despite what bloggers have bandied about and apparently has been latched onto by some media.

Pre-2010, no one in sports talked about the AAU, which has existed for 100 years. No one outside of academia had any idea what it was. It started in the blog sites around 2010 comparing expansion candidates. People latched onto it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cashisking884
And then there are those who don't know, so rather than find something out on their own they want the people who do know to spoon feed them the answers.
This of course is the most logical way to proceed, why go do research if there is someone right in front of you that knows the answer?

Because of that $, they can pick and choose. So if they are evaluating two equivalent schools that will bring them more $, and one is a major research institution (with AAU) membership and other isn't, they're going take the one that looks most like their existing membership. It helps sell the addition to the presidents and they can parrot all the academic bs to paper over the real motivations.

If there is a big time possible member out there, they're going to take the $ like you said. Whether FSU will do that for them is a different question. But FSU has and is growing its research infrastructure, so it isn't like they are making a decision on a school like Boise State, and it wouldn't be that uncomfortable of an addition for them from an institutional fit perspective.
Paco, no disrespect, but ain't none of this no longer 'bout akademicks. It is whatever the networks tell these conferences to do, they do. If ESPN tells the ACC to add Memphis State and Wayne State, they will add those two schools. Academic standing no longer matters. At all.

Reactions: 303vND
Paco, no disrespect, but ain't none of this no longer 'bout akademicks. It is whatever the networks tell these conferences to do, they do. If ESPN tells the ACC to add Memphis State and Wayne State, they will add those two schools. Academic standing no longer matters. At all.

Yea, people are saying the B10 has no interest in FSU because of academics. Lol. They are a blue blood in a tremendous market.

If ESPN (continue to) fund the escapades accordingly then we really shouldn’t care about who they want us to add, and how bad the deal would seem to be (aka, Stanford/Cal/SMU adding no revenue to the ACC even if they take no shares at first…similar to Fox funding Oregon and Wash under the surface, one hopes ESPN provides sweetener to a similar deal here).

But say the network tries to dictate such a moronic move, but is providing no additional money for it…that can’t be sustainable for long. “Neutral revenue” really means net loss, adding three shares from the same pot eventually if not immediately, and not-insignificant costs to integrate new schools (and eventually to travel to and from them of course…hell maybe we should take some schools in Europe too).

From the network’s standpoint I certainly get the “do it because we say so” perspective, ad the appeal to do so if it isn’t adding any new money … and I suppose the conference would have no choice but to comply, as it likely signed it’s soul away back when the original deal occurred. But as seen with the frequent public outbursts from its malcontent schools, it won’t be pretty.

Last edited:
Also, isn’t it expected that FSU will be obtaining AAU status pretty soon?

In the end, the Big Ten is going to be expanding in the south. They aren’t going to ignore the most passionate and fertile region of the country, in its coast to coast region to region conference it’s building.
And FSU is one of the top two, if not the top, brand/school of the options available.

The idea that they will be passing on FSU during their southern expansion is insane.

If ESPN (continue to) fund the escapades accordingly then we really shouldn’t care about who they want us to add, and how bad the deal would seem to be (aka, Stanford/Cal/SMU adding no revenue to the ACC even if they take no shares).

But say the network tries to dictate such a moronic move, but is providing no additional money for it…that can’t be sustainable for long. “Neutral revenue” really means net loss, adding three shares from the same pot and not-insignificant costs to integrate new schools (and eventually to travel to and from them of course…hell maybe we should take some schools in Europe too).

From the network’s standpoint I certainly get the “do it because we say so” perspective, ad the appeal to do so if it isn’t adding any new money … and I suppose the conference would have no choice but to comply, as it likely signed it’s soul away back when the original deal occurred. But as seen with the frequent public outbursts from its malcontent schools, it won’t be pretty.

And at some point the interests of ESPN and the individual schools just aren’t going to align.

We’ve already seen the reports that things between FSU and ESPN are not great.

And at some point the interests of ESPN and the individual schools just aren’t going to align.

We’ve already seen the reports that things between FSU and ESPN are not great.
Since the network controls the SEC and the ACC broadcast deals, I suppose it might have a bigger picture to shuffle some of the two decks. Place the perceived higher value ACC schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC Ava Miami into the SEC; substitute the ACC loss with the low-grade dog food like Stan and Cal and SMU (and UConn, yecch). Maybe even force So Car and Van to move to the ACC? Create a true major and minor league set of schools.

It all sounds outlandish, and likely will become a fiasco, but right now these are all stuffed-suits who are playing with Monopoly money as they plan this. Eventually it becomes real, and that’s where it gets scary for the schools with the most to lose, aka Pitt.

Last edited:
The person I noted works for ESPN - guess who would be totally against an ESPN property(FSU) heading to the Big10, which we all know is everyone but ESPN? Maybe that's coming from an internal "smear" campaign, who knows.

https://rutgerswire.usatoday.com/20...ith-florida-state-about-conference-expansion/

So while FSU is locked into a contract, the Big 10 has not had a “serious” talk with them?

Notice how the article doesn’t say the Big 10 has had a serious talk with ND. By that logic that should mean ND isn’t wanted by the Big 10.

The Big 10 can’t have “serious” talks with any teams under contract.

Since the network controls the SEC and the ACC broadcast deals, I suppose it might have a bigger picture to shuffle some of the two decks. Place the perceived higher value ACC schools like FSU, Clemson, UNC Ava Miami into the SEC; substitute the ACC loss with the low-grade dog food like Stan and Cal and SMU (and UConn, yecch). Maybe even force So Car and Van to move to the ACC? Create a true major and minor league set of schools.

It all sounds outlandish, and likely will become a fiasco, but right now these are all stuffed-suits who are playing with Monopoly money as they plan this. Eventually it becomes real, and that’s where it gets scary for the schools with the most to lose, aka Pitt.

FSU will be in the SEC eventually. The SEC doesn't want them but they dont want the B10 in Florida more.

Sadly, true.

So while FSU is locked into a contract, the Big 10 has not had a “serious” talk with them?

Notice how the article doesn’t say the Big 10 has had a serious talk with ND. By that logic that should mean ND isn’t wanted by the Big 10.

The Big 10 can’t have “serious” talks with any teams under contract.
She noted serious conversations "about" Florida State - not conversations "with" Florida State

"But a source with knowledge of the discussions said the Big Ten did not have serious conversations about adding Florida State, and its top priority remains Notre Dame.”

Also, isn’t it expected that FSU will be obtaining AAU status pretty soon?

In the end, the Big Ten is going to be expanding in the south. They aren’t going to ignore the most passionate and fertile region of the country, in its coast to coast region to region conference it’s building.
And FSU is one of the top two, if not the top, brand/school of the options available.

The idea that they will be passing on FSU during their southern expansion is insane.
That is a complete unknown. The AAU has traditionally moved slowly. Generally, they want to maintain a set number of institutions and not get bigger, although they have added about 10 to their total membership in the last decade+...but that is why they usually cull members before expansion: Nebraska and Syracuse before adding BU, kicking out Iowa State more recently. They also want a representative balance between public and privates, which is why they added 3 of each this last round. And privates have different standards...its just not raw numbers of research $, for instance, they look at size and the faculty and the undergrad side as well (which is why you don't have specialized institutions like UCSF as members). I can't imagine they'll just keep adding. The idea is to have a top %, not just keep growing indefinitely.

FSU has some better metrics than some schools already in the AAU, but worse than other non-members. They're 98th in total federal S&E funding, just ahead of Iowa State that just got the boot. By this sole metric, which is likely one of the biggest ones, there are a number of other public research institutions in "line" ahead of them. One thing for sure, obtaining the type of research funding considered most important is a very competitive process, so a school cannot quickly flip a switch and obtain a bunch of these grants (at least not without poaching faculty from elsewhere but that is expensive)...it takes decades, and FSU has just opened a college of medicine with the expectation they'll grow that like USF and Miami, but it took them decades. I don't think it is as imminent as FSU hopes, but one never knows for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
This is an interesting take...

Highlights:

"Scenario 5: Add FSU, Clemson, and/or Miami. Despite what you may have heard elsewhere, this is by far the least desirable option for the Big 10 and it’s likely the conference would only take two of these three schools."

"Although FSU trustees banged on their conference room table last week and extolled the virtues of their own football program, most people outside Tallahassee don’t view the school in the same way. Yes, FSU has history and it did manage to reach 10 wins (with an ACC schedule) last season, but this is a .500 football program over the past seven seasons that was ready to fire its newly-hired coach a couple of seasons ago."

"Third, the new television markets offered by FSU and, especially, Clemson are relatively insignificant and the Miami market, while large, suffers from lukewarm support for its local school. The Big 10 currently owns most of the largest markets in the country and inducting two of these schools would likely dilute the revenue share to a point that current members can’t justify adding these schools."

I encourage you to read the article. It's the same things that some of us have posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND
FSU will be in the SEC eventually. The SEC doesn't want them but they dont want the B10 in Florida more.
Maybe so but it is about the networks more than anything else at this point.

With the power over both conferences, ESPN can assuage FSU (not that it really has to care about their public blathering) by shuffling it over to the SEC. Along with the other malcontents (at least the ones that are perceived to have the most value, aka fanbase and viewership). I suppose they think they have accurate data on that, and I assume this would show Clemson, Miami and UNC.

This could be the (only remotely plausible) purpose to consider adding the ne’er-do-wells like SMU, UConn and the dregs in the west. Need semi-warm bodies to fill the ACC seats of the schools that get promoted up to the important conference. It gives the likes of us some opponents, trash as they may be. From ESPN standpoint, the most important purpose it serves is to keep even more desirable properties out of the hands of Fox.

Highlights:

"Scenario 5: Add FSU, Clemson, and/or Miami. Despite what you may have heard elsewhere, this is by far the least desirable option for the Big 10 and it’s likely the conference would only take two of these three schools."

"Although FSU trustees banged on their conference room table last week and extolled the virtues of their own football program, most people outside Tallahassee don’t view the school in the same way. Yes, FSU has history and it did manage to reach 10 wins (with an ACC schedule) last season, but this is a .500 football program over the past seven seasons that was ready to fire its newly-hired coach a couple of seasons ago."

"Third, the new television markets offered by FSU and, especially, Clemson are relatively insignificant and the Miami market, while large, suffers from lukewarm support for its local school. The Big 10 currently owns most of the largest markets in the country and inducting two of these schools would likely dilute the revenue share to a point that current members can’t justify adding these schools."

I encourage you to read the article. It's the same things that some of us have posted.
One man’s opinion.

Highlights:

Yes, FSU has history and it did manage to reach 10 wins (with an ACC schedule) last season,

Says the conference that has the Big 10 west and has Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana guaranteeing the big 3 or 4 in the East 3 conference wins.

ACC presidents apparently scheduled a vote for tomorrow (Tuesday).

Rumors are UNC and NC State flipped. Stanford and Cal coming.

I dont care either way with them. Probably lean no but Im fine with them coming. No on SMU though fo sho.

One of the reasons that we are seeing a change of mind with Stanford and Cal is they bring something more then money and academics. Cal and Stanford’s carbon footprint is one of the best in the entire D1 NCAA. The ACC school presidents understand that current and future sustainability rankings are increasingly important. You will see conferences like the SEC and Big pay for their fossil fuel reliance and the conferences will actually make less money. We are bringing in two too 10 schools.

Reactions: singregardless
One of the reasons that we are seeing a change of mind with Stanford and Cal is they bring something more then money and academics. Cal and Stanford’s carbon footprint is one of the best in the entire D1 NCAA. The ACC school presidents understand that current and future sustainability rankings are increasingly important. You will see conferences like the SEC and Big pay for their fossil fuel reliance and the conferences will actually make less money. We are bringing in two too 10 schools.

Yeah it would actually fit that they’d consider something so breathtakingly stupid as criteria … 🙄

I dont care either way with them. Probably lean no but Im fine with them coming. No on SMU though fo sho.
Yes. I have been saying this over and over. The ACC's biggest single impediment is it has too many Wake's, BC's, even Duke's, Miami's, really small private schools with small fanbase's. Oh sure Miami has more of a national brand, but I have to believe alot of the bandwagon Thug U fans have long moved on elsewhere and Duke's following is in basketball. SMU would just be another one of these.

Yes. I have been saying this over and over. The ACC's biggest single impediment is it has too many Wake's, BC's, even Duke's, Miami's, really small private schools with small fanbase's. Oh sure Miami has more of a national brand, but I have to believe alot of the bandwagon Thug U fans have long moved on elsewhere and Duke's following is in basketball. SMU would just be another one of these.
Interesting take. I'm sure you concede that Cal and Stanford wouldn't.

I guess that makes senses as a reason to not add SMU.

But that would also apply to Stanford and Cal. They won’t be bringing these large rabid fanbases with them.

I guess that makes senses as a reason to not add SMU.

But that would also apply to Stanford and Cal. They won’t be bringing these large rabid fanbases with them.
Stanford is a national brand. I mean you have Elway, Christina McCaffrey, Sherman, etc...lots of NFL talent. Cal is a natural companion. Stanford/Cal game becoming property of the ACC would bring value.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT