ADVERTISEMENT

Starkey now chiming in on Narduzzi

The cliche is all publicity is good publicity isn't actually true.

I think this is a case where it is true, particularly about the bravado about the MSU bowl game...because frankly, 100% spot on about that game. We win that with Patti healthy, and I don't think a single Pitt fan who attended that bowl would disagree.

Pitt in the press...adding to the hype, swagger and bravado of the football program...really not a bad thing.

Just have to back it up.

Last edited:
Typical Pgh media d-bags. We should be glad when these vermin have to grasp at meaningless rubbish like this. It means Pitt has a legit team and expectations.

As for the PG, the only time it will be worth clicking their garbage is when Cook’s obituary is published.

Typical Pgh media d-bags. We should be glad when these vermin have to grasp at meaningless rubbish like this. It means Pitt has a legit team and expectations.

As for the PG, the only time it will be worth clicking their garbage is when Cook’s obituary is published.
Exactley! I give them no credence by reading their garbage and did not open the link! Would it be too much to take the stand for Pitt and defend Coach Duzz's decision to not offer a contract to an assistant that defied his instructions!

The more the local media tries to berate Pitt the more I follow the ACCN. f'em

To me, the media’s reaction has been interesting. I’m not sure why they are so bent out of shape about this. You would think that a coach who is honest and open with his responses would be a media persons dream. He actually tells you exactly what he’s thinking. This is contrasted by what just about every coach gives the media, which is nothing. Would they rather interview Paul Chryst? To me, Duzz is coming off as confident. I hope he’s confident with good reason.

I won’t even click to read. But I’ll say this…all these media ppl say how they can’t stand coach speak. Then they should like and respect PN, because he’s real and honest. Not a fake bone in his body.
This is a fair point and I agree. But when you look at the totality of a lot of things Narduzzi has said he can be awfully petty. He can still maintain that honesty and dial it back a little bit.

Reactions: MajorMajors
^^^^^
This.

If you're a Pitt fan, you can understand that Duzz is punching back, and it feels good to have someone defending your team.

But if you're an average fan, particularly from around western PA, it doesn't come off well. Petty, chafing, unnecessary.

Heather HAS TO get him some media training.

That said, he's running the most genuinely cohesive program I can recall (and started following Pitt in '73). Good kids, good culture, players seem to like HCPN. He looks to be learning his way into both program-building as well as coaching. Being an attractive "face" of a program is important, too, however.

Wanny had that "face of the program" down pat. Some decent program building, too. Game day coaching? Aside from 13-9, nope.

JMI was the best packaging of all three aspects. Everyone loved Johnny. Sherrill didn't try to be a likable face of a program. Not here, A&M or Miss St. But the guy was a winner!!

The only one he burned was Canada and it was private and shouldnt have been said but he was recorded. He has only said he wanted to run the ball more under whipple. It's such a stupid story.
The tone with Whipple wasn’t simply he wanted to run the ball more either. Again, honesty is refreshing even if it isn’t the smoothest way to handle things. He never shied away from his feelings about Marion either. I do wonder if he’s ever had problems finding a coach because of this.

^^^^^
This.

If you're a Pitt fan, you can understand that Duzz is punching back, and it feels good to have someone defending your team.

But if you're an average fan, particularly from around western PA, it doesn't come off well. Petty, chafing, unnecessary.

Heather HAS TO get him some media training.

That said, he's running the most genuinely cohesive program I can recall (and started following Pitt in '73). Good kids, good culture, players seem to like HCPN. He looks to be learning his way into both program-building as well as coaching. Being an attractive "face" of a program is important, too, however.

Wanny had that "face of the program" down pat. Some decent program building, too. Game day coaching? Aside from 13-9, nope.

JMI was the best packaging of all three aspects. Everyone loved Johnny. Sherrill didn't try to be a likable face of a program. Not here, A&M or Miss St. But the guy was a winner!!
The thing is I read what he was saying was not only a defense of PITT but also the ACC… with regards to the Big he’s got a point… I think the Big has 1 title since 2000…. The ACC has 3… but you’d never know it based on media hype… ever.

I get it… and I get it’s rubbing some wrong… but the hysteria over the remarks is way out of balance and will be forgotten after… week one. Can’t wait for the season to start …

Reactions: ratking17
Hence the non~renewal of his contract
Runs deeper. If this truly was ongoing and he was that insubordinate then he should have been let go sooner. If Whipple was just doing his own thing and defying Narduzzi, then Narduzzi’s quotes don’t say much for himself regarding this situation.

I don’t think they were all that capable of running the ball so he’s just scapegoating.

Runs deeper. If this truly was ongoing and he was that insubordinate then he should have been let go sooner. If Whipple was just doing his own thing and defying Narduzzi, then Narduzzi’s quotes don’t say much for himself regarding this situation.
No because pickett held narduzzi hostage by coming back only if whipple did. Pickett had schools like notre dame reaching out for a grad transfer. We had our best season in decades because of this. And narduzzi is right. Unless you have a generational talent in qb like Pickett, passing the ball 70% of the time is a recipe for failure.

I also took his comments as a little self own like "come on...wake has the worst rushing defense and we should have run more." I don't see it as bashing whipple instead of we need to play the statistical advantages when we have them

No because pickett held narduzzi hostage by coming back only if whipple did. Pickett had schools like notre dame reaching out for a grad transfer. We had our best season in decades because of this. And narduzzi is right. Unless you have a generational talent in qb like Pickett, passing the ball 70% of the time is a recipe for failure.

I also took his comments as a little self own like "come on...wake has the worst rushing defense and we should have run more." I don't see it as bashing whipple instead of we need to play the statistical advantages when we have them
I don’t disagree philosophically but if that’s the case then Narduzzi just needed to STFU. Can’t have it both ways.

The thing is I read what he was saying was not only a defense of PITT but also the ACC… with regards to the Big he’s got a point… I think the Big has 1 title since 2000…. The ACC has 3… but you’d never know it based on media hype… ever.
Duzz's defense of Pitt and the ACC is a good thing, but his making an issue of Whipple not running the ball enough was not. Whipple was hired because his predecessor didn't pass the ball enough. It was because of Whipple that Kenny came back, was a first team All American, finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting, and was selected as the first round draft choice of the Steelers. And it was because Kenny came back that Pitt won the ACC Championship. Sorry to say it but Duzz looks kind of stupid for saying anything negative about Whipple. The fact that he wanted Whipple to run the ball more is missing the big picture completely. Some people seem to like what he said by saying Duzz is genuine, but there's a difference being genuine and saying things that are completely unnecessary and off target.

And narduzzi is right. Unless you have a generational talent in qb like Pickett, passing the ball 70% of the time is a recipe for failure.

Passing the ball a ton in college is the best recipe for offensive success on a year to year basis. It’s impossible to argue otherwise.

Some people seem to like what he said by saying Duzz is genuine, but there's a difference being genuine and saying things that are completely unnecessary and off target.

Right. I don’t think the national media reaction is because Narduzzi is speaking his mind and not engaging in coach speak.

It’s because most just flat out disagree with him.

Honestly he shouldn’t have bothered with comments on Whipple. But the main point is that these d-bag Pgh media are only allowed to be critical of one program, no matter for how superficial the subject.

Ripping Tomlin who hasn’t won a postseason game in a decade is not allowed.

Ripping the Penguins even though they have not changed a thing in the off-season despite having a team that has failed for going on a decade, not allowed.

Ripping the Pirates isn’t allowed because too many geezers still follow them and they must give out good grub and booze to the media before games.

And hades knows they aren’t allowed to be critical of PSU and Franklin (who engineered rapes in his previous job, threatened one of the victims with her life, and whose current program still have regular sex scandals).

They can’t(yet) be critical of the actual Pitt team until it loses a game.

So all that is left is to nag about inconsequential things said by the Pitt coach at a mind numbing PR event.

Hey, how about instead unleashing outage on the current nightmare that is the college football conference chaos? No, that would be close to criticizing PSU. And PSU is sitting pretty in this as well, so what’s to be critical of?

And of course the true outrage is the gleeful support given Sandusky, Paterno et al

Honestly he shouldn’t have bothered with comments on Whipple. But the main point is that these d-bag Pgh media are only allowed to be critical of one program, no matter for how superficial the subject.

Ripping the Penguins even though they have not changed a thing in the off-season despite having a team that has failed for going on a decade, not allowed.

Ripping the Pirates isn’t allowed because too many geezers still follow them and they must give out good grub and booze to the media before games.

And hades knows they aren’t allowed to be critical of PSU and Franklin (who engineered rapes in his previous job, threatened one of the victims with her life, and whose current program still have regular sex scandals).

So all that is left is to nag about inconsequential things said by the Pitt coach at a mind numbing PR event.

Hey, how about instead unleashing outage on the current nightmare that is the college football conference chaos? No, that would be close to criticizing PSU. And PSU is sitting pretty in this as well, so what’s to be critical of?

And of course the true outrage is the gleeful support given Sandusky, Paterno et al
The TRUE outrage is this. WVU is another baby face entity thanks to their local media stooges, never mind how mediocre they’ve been lately too.

This isn’t based on a scientific survey or huge opinion polling, but just my own opinion: most of the people whose panties are in a bunch over this are people who don’t (or rarely) go to games, don’t give money to the program, or simply don’t like Narduzzi anyway, so they’re using this incident as an excuse to bash him.

No, I don’t think that he should have said what he said, but good gawd, they’re acting as though he kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

The media who wrote the column(s) and did the radio commentaries have responded waaay more quickly -and certainly more passionately - than they did when the UPS coaches and administrators tried to cover-up the horrific Sandusky scandal.

Meanwhile, the Nits have a coach who’s 11-11 over the past two seasons, but was “rewarded” with a 10-year, $70 Million deal. No media outcry over that?

I guess totally separating from other side of ball isn't unprecedented, but his relationship with the (multiple) OC is bizarre especially when his side has mostly been below the line here imo.
As for the writer, he's in the same group of most other locals with a ceiling of a blogger that thinks putting message board quips in writing is journalism.

This isn’t based on a scientific survey or huge opinion polling, but just my own opinion: most of the people whose panties are in a bunch over this are people who don’t (or rarely) go to games, don’t give money to the program, or simply don’t like Narduzzi anyway, so they’re using this incident as an excuse to bash him.

No, I don’t think that he should have said what he said, but good gawd, they’re acting as though he kidnapped the Lindbergh baby.

The media who wrote the column(s) and did the radio commentaries have responded waaay more quickly -and certainly more passionately - than they did when the UPS coaches and administrators tried to cover-up the horrific Sandusky scandal.

Meanwhile, the Nits have a coach who’s 11-11 over the past two seasons, but was “rewarded” with a 10-year, $70 Million deal. No media outcry over that?
The obviously have strong opinions on Pitt that they get through the editor. I refuse to believe none of them ever have a strong opinion about other sports topics that get nearly daily coverage here.

All of this

and it’s been true since forever…70s? At least?

To me, the media’s reaction has been interesting. I’m not sure why they are so bent out of shape about this. You would think that a coach who is honest and open with his responses would be a media persons dream. He actually tells you exactly what he’s thinking. This is contrasted by what just about every coach gives the media, which is nothing. Would they rather interview Paul Chryst? To me, Duzz is coming off as confident. I hope he’s confident with good reason.

I won’t even click to read. But I’ll say this…all these media ppl say how they can’t stand coach speak. Then they should like and respect PN, because he’s real and honest. Not a fake bone in his body.
What a few of you are calling “real talk”, “bravado” and “swagger is coming across as petty sour grapes and childish buffoonery to the rest of the world. It’s idiotic to publicly bash your ex-employees after they leave especially when they’ve produced the best offensive seasons in your program’s entire history. Its idiotic to complain about not running the ball enough when your passing offense just set records and led to your best season in 40 years. It’s idiotic and infantile to do the “woulda shoulda coulda” nonsense in bashing the team you just lost to, especially when it happens to be the team/program where you spent 10
years making your own bones and became a desirable head coaching candidate. And it’s idiotic to bash that team’s conference and talk about how you’d dominate it, when you’re 1-6 against that league as a HC and just lost to a MAC team that finished near the bottom of its own league, and that was absolutely curb stomped by the champ of the league you’re bashing

Right after Narduzzi was hired, a poster stated on this board that he was sitting with a bunch of Pitt boosters at the Armed Forces Bowl and ran into the new head coach. This poster claimed that Narduzzi, referencing the 35 points Houston scored against a hapless Pitt defense that day, told the group something to the effect that “those days are over, I’ll never let something like that happen again”. At the time I called that post out as BS, because what newly hired HC would say something like that to a group of strangers? Now, after 7 years of Doozyspeak, I’m no longer so sure that post was fictitious.

One truly strong season in the past 40 years and now we’re ready to dominate the B10. Reminds me of the Al Pacino quote in Glengarry Glen Ross:

You know, you got a big mouth. You make a close, this whole place stinks with your farts for a week - how much you just ingested. Oh, what a big man you are! "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it." Whoof! Your pal closes, and all that comes out of your mouth is bile.

Last edited:
What a few of you are calling “real talk”, “bravado” and “swagger is coming across as petty sour grapes and childish buffoonery to the rest of the world. It’s idiotic to publicly bash your ex-employees after they leave especially when they’ve produced the best offensive seasons in your program’s entire history. Its idiotic to complain about not running the ball enough when your passing offense just set records and led to your best season in 40 years. It’s idiotic and infantile to do the “woulda shoulda coulda” nonsense in bashing the team you just lost to, especially when it happens to be the team/program where you spent 10
years making your own bones and became a desirable head coaching candidate. And it’s idiotic to bash that team’s conference and talk about how you’d dominate it, when you’re 1-6 against that league as a HC and just lost to a MAC team that finished near the bottom of its own league, and that was absolutely curb stomped by the champ of the league you’re bashing

Right after Narduzzi was hired, a poster stated on this board that he was sitting with a bunch of Pitt boosters at the Armed Forces Bowl and ran into the new head coach. This poster claimed that Narduzzi, referencing the 35 points Houston scored against a hapless Pitt defense that day, told the group something to the effect that “those days are over, I’ll never let something like that happen again”. At the time I called that post out as BS, because what newly hired HC would say something like that to a group of strangers? Now, after 7 years of Doozyspeak, I’m no longer so sure that post was fictitious.

One truly strong season in the past 40 years and now we’re ready to dominate the B10. Reminds me of the Al Pacino quote in Glengarry Glen Ross:

You know, you got a big mouth. You make a close, this whole place stinks with your farts for a week - how much you just ingested. Oh, what a big man you are! "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it." Whoof! Your pal closes, and all that comes out of your mouth is bile.
Pitt blowing a 31-6 4th quarter lead by giving up two onside kicks, 3 TDs and a 2 point conversion in the last, what, 4 mins of the game was one of the all time biggest embarrassments in Pitt sports history, not to mention one of the biggest collapses in all of NCAA bowl history. Any incoming coach had every right to call that out and say it would never happen again, and frankly, that is exactly what every Pitt fan that sat through that miserable, rainy, god-awful embarrassment needed to hear.

Pitt blowing a 25 point 4th quarter lead by giving up two onside kicks, 3 TDs and a 2 point conversion in the last, what, 4 mins of the game was one of the all time biggest embarrassments in Pitt sports history, not to mention one of the biggest collapses in all of NCAA bowl history. Any incoming coach had every right to call that out and say it would never happen again, and frankly, that is exactly what every Pitt fan that sat through that miserable, rainy, god-awful embarrassment needed to hear.
It was pathetic but at least it was a bowl game and not a real game.

Everyone is focused on what narduzzi said about whipple and msu / big 10 but the bigger take I heard was how irrelevent these bowl games are. He said it’s about championships and the bowl games aren’t taken as serious because neither team has their best players.

He really poo pood the significance of bowl games on media day. We all kind of know it but to hear a HC say it was surprising.

The TRUE outrage is this. WVU is another baby face entity thanks to their local media stooges, never mind how mediocre they’ve been lately too.

Why is it a bad thing that Narduzzi asked people not to wear WVU gear on the South Side? Would they like it if someone was wearing a Pitt shirt in their facilities?

It was pathetic but at least it was a bowl game and not a real game.

Everyone is focused on what narduzzi said about whipple and msu / big 10 but the bigger take I heard was how irrelevent these bowl games are. He said it’s about championships and the bowl games aren’t taken as serious because neither team has their best players.

He really poo pood the significance of bowl games on media day. We all kind of know it but to hear a HC say it was surprising.
Since the 1970s and 80s, bowl games are real games and count in the season record, the statistical record books, and the rankings, whether fans or coaches want to dismiss them or not. And the Armed Forces Bowl occurred before you had the rash of players opting out of them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT