ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer sounding like SMF on NIL

He must be monitoring pantherlair to see what you were saying on this.

Yea, probably. This is exactly what I have been saying though. The way these boosters NIL work is they pay these guys a monthly salary but then have to justify the cost so lets say a guy is making $100K/month, they have to justify that cost so lets say in May, they show up at a charity for 20 minutes and make a quick video for Instagram. That's how they "earned" their 100K for that month. Its straight pay for play since the market value for those services isnt more than a couple thousand but the NCAA knows that as soon as they rule someone ineligible for accepting this pay for play money, they are going to get sued and are going to lose making straight pay for play without the need for NIL legal.

NIL is pay for play. And has been since the get. The NCAA doesn't care, because it takes the onus off of them, the schools and it doesn't interfere with Title IX. It is essentially being Pontius Pilate to the whole thing.

NIL is pay for play. And has been since the get. The NCAA doesn't care, because it takes the onus off of them, the schools and it doesn't interfere with Title IX. It is essentially being Pontius Pilate to the whole thing.

And as soon as the NCAA rules a kid ineligible for accepting $1 million for doing very close to 0 marketing appearances/jobs, he sues and wins and now pay for play is OFFICIALLY legal and that's the last thing the NCAA wants. The NCAA knows this is pay for play right now but knows they will lose a lawsuit so they are letting anything go.

"to pay these players a lot of money to go visit a charity for 20 minutes and they write you a check for $50,000, that's cheating."
I agree with you, NIL is a f-ing joke! They don't even pretend that they are selling a Name, Image or Likeness, they probably don't even visit a charity for 20 minutes.

"to pay these players a lot of money to go visit a charity for 20 minutes and they write you a check for $50,000, that's cheating."
How is that cheating? The player is doing a service for a pre- agreed fee. No one is stealing anything. Unscrupulous maybe.

How is that cheating? The player is doing a service for a pre- agreed fee. No one is stealing anything. Unscrupulous maybe.

Per NCAA rules, it is cheating because getting paid 100K to show up at an animal shelter is about 98K over market value. So 98K of that is pay for play.

And as soon as the NCAA rules a kid ineligible for accepting $1 million for doing very close to 0 marketing appearances/jobs, he sues and wins and now pay for play is OFFICIALLY legal and that's the last thing the NCAA wants. The NCAA knows this is pay for play right now but knows they will lose a lawsuit so they are letting anything go.
Again, don't underestimate the issue of Title IX avoidance in these payments.

Again, don't underestimate the issue of Title IX avoidance in these payments.

No. Charlie Baker, NCAA Pres, was asked about something like that and he said Title IX is only for participation. And that's kind of obvious. Where does it say that since the PG on the men's team got 500K, the women's PG has to get 500K?

Assuming this is accurate (and I'm not disagreeing with your post), there is no solution to the problem. Even making athletes employees does nothing to curb their freedom to obtain sponsorships for pay-for-play.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Assuming this is accurate (and I'm not disagreeing with your post), there is no solution to the problem. Even making athletes employees does nothing to curb their freedom to obtain sponsorships for pay-for-play.

Yes it does. Because if the league becomes fully professional with a CBA and salary cap, boosters would not be able to do these pay for play NIL deals. If a booster collective pays a kid $100K to stop at a charity on his way home, 98K would count against the cap its a clear pay for play. There is a reason you dont see NFL and other pro teams offering league minimum salaries but paying guys millions to visit hospitals and charities. I mean they COULD do that but that money would go against the cap because paying TJ Watt $5 million to visit Children's Hospital is $4.99 million above market value.

Yes it does. Because if the league becomes fully professional with a CBA and salary cap, boosters would not be able to do these pay for play NIL deals. If a booster collective pays a kid $100K to stop at a charity on his way home, 98K would count against the cap its a clear pay for play. There is a reason you dont see NFL and other pro teams offering league minimum salaries but paying guys millions to visit hospitals and charities. I mean they COULD do that but that money would go against the cap because paying TJ Watt $5 million to visit Children's Hospital is $4.99 million above market value.
You fail to understand the legalities of sponsorships from entities outside the school.

...cough...

Reactions: pittdan77
You fail to understand the legalities of sponsorships from entities outside the school.

I cant believe I am going to do this with you because this is going to be an impossible concept for your brain to understand. If college football becomes a fully professional league with a union, CBA, and salary cap, teams are not going to be able to circumvent the salary cap by having boosters pay the players to visit an animal shelter. Again, there is a reason why this doesn't happen in pro leagues. You cant have some Terrible Towell Collective pay TJ Watt $10 million to visit an animal shelter and have that not count against the cap. Even though its not the Steelers paying him the money, the NFL isnt made up of idiots. They know that would be done to get around the salary cap.

I cant believe I am going to do this with you because this is going to be an impossible concept for your brain to understand. If college football becomes a fully professional league with a union, CBA, and salary cap, teams are not going to be able to circumvent the salary cap by having boosters pay the players to visit an animal shelter. Again, there is a reason why this doesn't happen in pro leagues. You cant have some Terrible Towell Collective pay TJ Watt $10 million to visit an animal shelter and have that not count against the cap. Even though its not the Steelers paying him the money, the NFL isnt made up of idiots. They know that would be done to get around the salary cap.
Does TJ watt have any sponsorships from local or national businesses that pay him to represent them? Hint: yes, he does.

Those same opportunities would be available to college athletes. I can't believe I have to keep repeating this simple concept to you.

Does TJ watt have any sponsorships from local or national businesses that pay him to represent them? Hint: yes, he does.

Those same opportunities would be available to college athletes. I can't believe I have to keep repeating this simple concept to you.

Good lord, I knew this would be so hard for you. Of course, Watt has sponsorship deals from REAL COMPANIES who pay him MARKET VALUE. If a Terrible Towel Fan Collective was formed to pay him $10 million to visit a few charities, that money would count against the cap because its far beyond market value and created solely to get around the cap. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?

Good lord, I knew this would be so hard for you. Of course, Watt has sponsorship deals from REAL COMPANIES who pay him MARKET VALUE. If a Terrible Towel Fan Collective was formed to pay him $10 million to visit a few charities, that money would count against the cap because its far beyond market value and created solely to get around the cap. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?
Who determines what the "market value" is for a pro athlete to sponsor something?

I'm not saying you are wrong; I've just never heard of anything over "market value" going against a cap. But, then again, I don't follow pro sports.

Reactions: Ski11585
Who determines what the "market value" is for a pro athlete to sponsor something?

I'm not saying you are wrong; I've just never heard of anything over "market value" going against a cap. But, then again, I don't follow pro sports.

I didnt look at the NFL Salary Cap rules but I am quite sure that there is some legalese preventing entities to pay players as non-salary to get around the cap. Lets say tomorrow Pat Mahomes agrees to restucture his salary to accept the league minimum and have a Chiefs Fan Collective pay him $100 million to go play with some dogs a few times per year. Do you think the NFL lets that stand?

I didnt look at the NFL Salary Cap rules but I am quite sure that there is some legalese preventing entities to pay players as non-salary to get around the cap. Lets say tomorrow Pat Mahomes agrees to restucture his salary to accept the league minimum and have a Chiefs Fan Collective pay him $100 million to go play with some dogs a few times per year. Do you think the NFL lets that stand?
It seems like the goalposts just moved out of the stadium.

Nope. My point is NFL teams cannot form fan collectives to circumvent the salary cap. Do you think they can?
Yes. You're so full of crap it is unbelievable. Actually, it is entirely believable since it is your very nature.

A collective is a real company, you dumbass.

Beyond that, local companies like car dealerships, restaurants (think Primantis), floral shops (see Pitt players), etc. are real companies that could align themselves with players to pay them to play.

I really can't believe this is so hard for you. I'm not about to go round and round as is your wont. I've made my point and you can't comprehend it, so I'm done trying. Find somebody else to play with ... or go play with yourself.

A collective is a real company, you dumbass.

Beyond that, local companies like car dealerships, restaurants (think Primantis), floral shops (see Pitt players), etc. are real companies that could align themselves with players to pay them to play.

I really can't believe this is so hard for you. I'm not about to go round and round as is your wont. I've made my point and you can't comprehend it, so I'm done trying. Find somebody else to play with ... or go play with yourself.

A FAN COLLECTIVE IS NOT A REAL COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And dont tell me that they file a tax return, no shit. That's not what I'm talking about. You cant possibly be this stupid. A fan collective's sole purpose is to pay players. There is no other reason for it. None. If NFL teams cannot start fan collectives to circumvent the salary cap and you cannot possibly think they can.

And I have no idea why you'd bring up real companies like car dealerships and floral shops. Any real company has to make business deals at market value unless its a private company or FedEx for some reason.

A FAN COLLECTIVE IS NOT A REAL COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And dont tell me that they file a tax return, no shit. That's not what I'm talking about. You cant possibly be this stupid. A fan collective's sole purpose is to pay players. There is no other reason for it. None. If NFL teams cannot start fan collectives to circumvent the salary cap and you cannot possibly think they can.

And I have no idea why you'd bring up real companies like car dealerships and floral shops. Any real company has to make business deals at market value unless its a private company or FedEx for some reason.
I think what Pitt needs to do for its next coach is find a younger guy with a plan, a guy who WANTS to coach pro college football. A guy who will shakedown the biggest of donors. Honestly, the HC at Pitt should be spending just as much time golfing and dining with millionaires than on football. There’s enough assistant coaches to do the football stuff. We need players. The Pitt HC's ass shouldnt leave the country club from May to July.
This you?

Reactions: singregardless
Really? The NFL salary cap counts payments from sponsors or charities outside the team?

No! Because those aren't attempts to circumvent the salary cap!
I don't understand what you're saying then? If hypothetically Steelers fans created a NIL collective to pay players extra money outside what the team pays them, is that illegal? I don't know, I'd never donate to pay millionaires more money, but you can see today in college football people are crazy enough to do that :)

I don't understand what you're saying then? If hypothetically Steelers fans created a NIL collective to pay players extra money outside what the team pays them, is that illegal? I don't know, I'd never donate to pay millionaires more money, but you can see today in college football people are crazy enough to do that :)
He has no clue what he’s saying. As always, he staked out a position and refuses to flex from it even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Reactions: Pitt79

Its not "illegal." Steeler fans can pay the players but that money would count against the cap because the fans would be paying them "to play." It wouldn't be a real, legitimate marketing deal just like these college booster NIL payments arent. I mean, this isnt a difficult concept. The Rooneys could give their neighbors $30 million and tell them to start a fan collective to pay players. Seems rather easy doesn't it? The NFL would never allow those payments to count outside the cap.

Its not "illegal." Steeler fans can pay the players but that money would count against the cap because the fans would be paying them "to play." It wouldn't be a real, legitimate marketing deal just like these college booster NIL payments arent. I mean, this isnt a difficult concept. The Rooneys could give their neighbors $30 million and tell them to start a fan collective to pay players. Seems rather easy doesn't it? The NFL would never allow those payments to count outside the cap.
Completely made up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT