Freshman
Oct 11, 2012
as of now with Chuck back .. I would go with
McGowens
N'Dir
Ellison
Frame or Stephenson
Stephenson or Brown

Would hope to go 17-15 maybe with this team .

We are still very, very weak up front. We desperately need a legitimate post player.

I would imagine the starting lineup is more likely
PG: N'Dir
G: Ellison
W: Frame
W: Stevenson
P: Brown

I expect McGowens to be the primary substitute and play more than Stevenson (going with essentially a 4/1 lineup) and Johnson to play 10-15mpg backing up N'Dir and with guard heavy lineups. Hopefully we get a grad transfer big and Kene and Peace only have to play desperation minutes. I think if we get an impactful grad transfer big, we can be a .500 team with 4-6 ACC wins. Without it, we are probably looking at 2-4 ACC wins.

What dont you understand Cap Pitt ? Chuck takes up a spot and Pitt may now just not use the final 2 scholarships. If another player came in maybe he could have been a starter but Chuck wont... Its not that hard to understand.

Well, the Rockets won last night with a 6'5" center against a Warriors team who started a 6'7" center.
Of course it helps if these small line ups can actually shoot!

D'Nir is not starting at PG. Probably not even back up at PG (Xavier Johnson).

My starting 5 doesn't change with Chuck back. lol

PG: McGowens
SG: Ellison
SF: JWF
PF: Stevenson
C: Brown

Bench: D'Nir, Johnson, Davis, Kene, Peace, George

Agree, I think McGowens starts. I could see N'Dir also starting though at the 2 moving Ellison to 3 and the 4 being JWF or Stevenson.

Johnson would be first off the bench at the 1/2 and Stevenson/JWF would be first off the bench at the 3/4.

There could be stretches next year where the line-up might look like the Kenny Battle years at Illinois - very guard heavy. Depending upon the game and opponent, I just want the best 5 on the floor to get the win.

My starting 5 doesn't change with Chuck back. lol

PG: McGowens
SG: Ellison
SF: JWF
PF: Stevenson
C: Brown

Bench: D'Nir, Johnson, Davis, Kene, Peace, George
Yeah- I can’t imagine McGowens doesn’t start. That looks like the starting 5 to me too.

I could see Ellison and JWF shifting to the 3 and 4 and N’Dir starting at the 2. If he’s truly a lockdown defender- he may certainly start.

Another x would be transfer 4/5 like Tavrion Dawson who might start at the 4.

With Dawson or similar transfer big- that feels like a roster that can win 4-6 ACC games and be generally competitive. I think keys to true improvement over last season will be Ellison being the impact player the last coaching staff thought he would be, Brown taking a step forward and McGowens improving over the course of the season and flashing the top 80 hype . It seems like a much more athletic group too- might be a fun to team to watch.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
McGowens
N'Dir
Ellison
Frame or Stephenson
Stephenson or Brown

I think 17-15 is completely out of the question with this team and roster. Lack of rebounding power alone would prevent it, IMO. On the other hand, If we were to add a decent grad-transfer or JUCO big, I would believe 16-16 to 18-14 becomes possible.

Right now, though, I would forecast between 13-19 to 15-17 with 15-17 being the ceiling.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, however. ;)

Agree, I think McGowens starts. I could see N'Dir also starting though at the 2 moving Ellison to 3 and the 4 being JWF or Stevenson.

Johnson would be first off the bench at the 1/2 and Stevenson/JWF would be first off the bench at the 3/4.

I am going to disagree.

Just a gut feeling but I don't believe McGowens will start. I never believe a less than 5-star recruit will start as a freshman until the player proves otherwise. I do believe he will get increasing PT as the season goes on and he continues to adjust to the college game.

Also, I don't think we will see him play much point--I suspect he will play more at the 2G. I believe N'Dir will be the starting point with backup from Johnson more than from McGowens. I believe McGowens will back up Frame or one of the sophs at 2G, at least initially.

Eventually (season after next) I would hope to see Johnson as the PG starter and McGowens the 2G starter. I could be entirely wrong, of course. We will have to see what happens.

McGowens
N'Dir
Ellison
Frame or Stephenson
Stephenson or Brown

PG - McGowens (he didn't reclassify to come off the bench for a really bad team)

SG - N'dir

SF - Ellison

PF - Stevenson

C - Brown

Minutes
PG - McGowens 20 XJ 20
SG - Ndir 20, McGowens 10, Ellison 10
SF - Ellison 20, JWF 10, Davis 10
PF - Stevenson 30, JWF 10 (playing 4 guards)
C - Brown 30, Peace/Chukwuka 10

Even if N'Dir doesn't start at point, he'll get time there for sure. NMSU originally recruited him as a 1 - he spent most of his time as a 2, but he also played as a 1 and 3. I don't see him as a 3 in the ACC given his height, but he offers a lot of versatility and I expect to see him get a healthy split between the 1 and 2. It's the best way to utilize him.

Reactions: Jpripper88
PG - McGowens (he didn't reclassify to come off the bench for a really bad team)

This is awful logic. McGowens is a very nice recruit, but he's in no position to dictate his usage as a freshman. It makes perfect sense for McGowens to come off the bench until he proves he should be a starter. He'll most likely be playing close to starter minutes anyway.

I am going to disagree.

Just a gut feeling but I don't believe McGowens will start. I never believe a less than 5-star recruit will start as a freshman until the player proves otherwise. I do believe he will get increasing PT as the season goes on and he continues to adjust to the college game.

Also, I don't think we will see him play much point--I suspect he will play more at the 2G. I believe N'Dir will be the starting point with backup from Johnson more than from McGowens. I believe McGowens will back up Frame or one of the sophs at 2G, at least initially.

Eventually (season after next) I would hope to see Johnson as the PG starter and McGowens the 2G starter. I could be entirely wrong, of course. We will have to see what happens.

Yeah I can't completely disagree with you cause who knows what happens. But I don't see McGowens reclassifying/being a top initial recruit of the Capel era to not come in and have a big role right away.

I would almost guarantee he starts somewhere. You could be right that his playing time or majority of it will come from the 2 spot.

But I think McGowens starts. Wouldn't be the first time a freshmen started that was not a 5 star kid. He is good player and I think will be a day 1 starter.

This is awful logic. McGowens is a very nice recruit, but he's in no position to dictate his usage as a freshman. It makes perfect sense for McGowens to come off the bench until he proves he should be a starter. He'll most likely be playing close to starter minutes anyway.

I don't think it is awful logic in the extent that I am sure Capel told him he will have every opportunity to come in and start. I don't think anything will necessarily be handed to him but I think he will be given every opportunity to start from day 1. And I am sure that was part of his recruiting pitch to get him to reclassify into this years class with the lack of guard depth that we had on the team.

SG - N'dir

SF - Ellison

PF - Stevenson

C - Brown

Minutes
PG - McGowens 20 XJ 20
JWF will get more minutes than that...

I don't think it is awful logic in the extent that I am sure Capel told him he will have every opportunity to come in and start. I don't think anything will necessarily be handed to him but I think he will be given every opportunity to start from day 1. And I am sure that was part of his recruiting pitch to get him to reclassify into this years class with the lack of guard depth that we had on the team.

McGowens isn't someone who's obviously going to start from day one (eg, Kevin Durant) and Capel isn't a guy who needs to sabotage his tactical flexibility by making silly promises about things like that. No doubt playing time was a big aspect of Pitt's appeal. There's also no doubt that McGowens will have every opportunity to earn a starting spot. None of that changes the fact that the specific excerpt I quoted from SMF's post is quite silly.

SG - N'dir

SF - Ellison

PF - Stevenson

C - Brown

Minutes
PG - McGowens 20 XJ 20
Way better chance Stevenson doesn't play 10mpg than he plays 30mpg. N'Dir and JWF will play more than that. Johnson will play less.

McGowens isn't someone who's obviously going to start from day one (eg, Kevin Durant) and Capel isn't a guy who needs to sabotage his tactical flexibility by making silly promises about things like that. No doubt playing time was a big aspect of Pitt's appeal. There's also no doubt that McGowens will have every opportunity to earn a starting spot. None of that changes the fact that the specific excerpt I quoted from SMF's post is quite silly.
Agreed. He also isn't really a PG.

Reactions: below0w
Many good and different starting scenarios in this thread that make sense. Starting roles and times come down to who does what in practices that Capel will be watching and
diagnosing every day. I'm not going to even take a guess on that at this time, but I can see a realistic rotation that will undoubtedly include N'Dir, Ellison, Frame (those three are all several years into their college careers), McGowens, Browne, Stevenson, Davis, Johnson, and ( I can't believe I'm actually saying this LOL) Kene. That's nine players, and they're all currently on the team. By the way, many coaches go with a 7- man rotation...the others? garbage time.
Inside additions, and there still might be.... would undoubtedly change that rotation.

That rotation is 9 players. I hesitated with Kene and Davis....Kene has to play because of
inside numbers, or lack thereof. Davis, I included him but with what we have in the backcourt, he might not even be in that rotation. Hoping for one or two more BIGS.

Last edited:
Many good and different starting scenarios in this thread that make sense. Starting roles and times come down to who does what in practices that Capel will be watching and
diagnosing every day. I'm not going to even take a guess on that at this time, but I can see a realistic rotation that will undoubtedly include N'Dir, Ellison, Frame (those three are all several years into their college careers), McGowens, Browne, Stevenson, Davis, Johnson, and ( I can't believe I'm actually saying this LOL) Kene. That's nine players, and they're all currently on the team. By the way, many coaches go with a 7- man rotation...the others? garbage time.
Any inside additions (I'm hopeful there will be) would undoubtedly change that rotation.
That rotation is 9 players. I hesitated with Kene and Davis....Kene has to play because of
inside numbers, or lack thereof. Davis, I included him but with what we have in the backcourt, he might not even be in that rotation.

The biggest thing that I think hurts Davis is that N'Dir is an excellent defender in addition to a more experienced player. That said, Davis can defend and he shot the 3 almost as well as Stewart last year. I definitely think there's a spot in the rotation for a true sophomore who has potential as a very solid 3&D player.

Reactions: Chescat

SG - N'dir

SF - Ellison

PF - Stevenson

C - Brown

Minutes
PG - McGowens 20 XJ 20
Way better chance Stevenson doesn't play 10mpg than he plays 30mpg. N'Dir and JWF will play more than that. Johnson will play less.

Agreed. He also isn't really a PG.

JWF isn't that good. He's a gunner. He can score but it takes him a lot of shots to do it. He is better in small doses. Plus, he's a senior. For a team with no hope at the NIT, I don't think Capel will give him a large role

JWF isn't that good. He's a gunner. He can score but it takes him a lot of shots to do it. He is better in small doses. Plus, he's a senior. For a team with no hope at the NIT, I don't think Capel will give him a large role

The fact that he's a senior is a plus on this team that is still very young. Yes, he was a gunner
under Stallings, but that's what he was probably coached to do IMO. In case anyone has forgotten, Mike Young loved Stallings because he was encouraged to go outside and shoot threes.
I'm pretty sure Frame will be playing under a much less lenient coach who will IMO restrict his
game to what he can do best. I could see his role reduced as you're suggesting, but that's because Ellison gives Capel another option. I see them both playing, with Ellison also getting
minutes at the off guard slot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT