ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program: What say you?

How do you prefer the program moves forward?

• Keep Narduzzi and the coaching staff intact

Votes: 18 11.4%
  • Keep Narduzzi, but make changes to the coaching staff (e.g. coordinator)

Votes: 115 72.8%
  • Move on from Narduzzi; hire a new head coach

Votes: 25 15.8%

• Total voters

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
With the 2020 season officially concluded, I wanted to get a gauge for how we the fanbase feels regarding the direction of the program. A few questions that should be considered, in my opinion:

- How would you view the 2020 season? Was 6-5 good enough to be considered a success? Do you blame the staff for the two one-point losses or chalk them up to “bad breaks?”
- Is it fair to use this past season to judge the coaching staff and program, considering the player opt-outs and alterations to the schedule? Should it warrant any changes to the coaching staff?
- Has this season changed your opinion of Narduzzi at all? How do you feel with him at the helm of the program moving forward? In 2021, what record would be enough to retain him or fire him?
- If you believe that an offensive coordinator change is necessary, why do you trust Narduzzi to hire an OC considering the past two hires? How much time would this “buy” the current staff?
- Does the current financial situation of the athletic department and university play a factor in how you feel the program should move forward?
- When factoring in potential departures and returnees, in what direction do you project the program going in 2021? Does/should this factor into any potential coaching changes?

Should make for a good discussion. As always, H2P.

I think keep Narduzzi, fire Whipple. Narduzzi seems to like coaching at Pitt and his players respond to him for the most part. 2020 was a weird year, we all knew that going in. Is a 6-5 campaign a success? No. They beat the teams they should have beat and lost against the teams they should have lost against. The BC and NC St games could have gone either way but Pitt fell just short both times. Terrible red zone offense was the theme of the season as well as just an overall bad offensive game plan. I think Narduzzi needs an 8-9 win season next year before we really start the talk about settling for mediocrity. I like him enough to give him that for sure. Yes I trust Narduzzi to hire an OC, but like I said before, this one needs to produce. Get at least 8 wins next year, Duzz. Or it’s time to move on.

Reactions: quip
Narduzzi is without a doubt going to be around next season and with the semi-strong finish to this season, he probably gets 2022 as long as 2021 isnt an epic failure, which it wont be since we're a 6-7 win program. Whipple and the run game finished the year strong but I don't think Duzz has much of a choice here. Whipple and Salem have to go and probably Borbs. Even with an NFL QB, the O was bad for 2 years and the recruiting, especially at TE has been bad. Need to make a big push for Joe Moorhead.

Reactions: Pittguy93 and quip
Narduzzi is without a doubt going to be around next season and with the semi-strong finish to this season, he probably gets 2022 as long as 2021 isnt an epic failure, which it wont be since we're a 6-7 win program. Whipple and the run game finished the year strong but I don't think Duzz has much of a choice here. Whipple and Salem have to go and probably Borbs. Even with an NFL QB, the O was bad for 2 years and the recruiting, especially at TE has been bad. Need to make a big push for Joe Moorhead.
Please no on Moorehead. Can Whipple yes.... but no for Moorehead.

Reactions: Pittguy93
I think the ceiling in the ACC/Coastal is more toward 8-9, top 25.
NFL Whipple was another mistake plus plugging him in with mostly the same former staff probably a gaffe also.
They'll have to find money for an OC cause basically its another hc as this coach is totally hands off offense.
Will also need more money keep Beattie, Partridge.
Also have to hope ACC doesn't drop divisions.

I view the 2020 season as a status quo.
Keeping the team together the last three or four games was a major accomplishment with everything going on around but does not warrant not making changes. I would change the offensive coordinator and offense of line coach as soon as possible to instill the new philosophy into off season training.
next year is a do or die season for coachDooz

Status quo, same old same old since the 1980s. This is the best we can ever expect. This program, no matter who is the coach is a 6-8 win program with a chance, whenever the stars align once a decade or so, to have a 9-10 game winning year.

Changing coaches or coaching staff will never change it. Geography and demographics dictate we can never return to the 1970s to 1980s level of success. Believing otherwise is a pipe dream! I used to share that pipe dream; but have now finally faced the reality.

What I would like to see vs what is realistic are 2 different things. So the realist in me agree with many that says "get a new OC, OL, TE coach." Then Beatty can't be let go because he is a great recruiter. But he needs a talking to because his position failed this year. He needs to understand the drops need to stop instantly. Then route running need cleaned up some.

Reactions: MajorMajors
I agree with DC. At times I'm disappointed with Duzz with the money he's paid and the results we have gotten. However I honestly believe someone else coaching will get the same or if not lesser results. Just no more early long time extensions please.

Without looking at the results, I’m going to guess it’s a landslide victory for your middle choice, keep PN and tweak the coaching staff.

I know, not going much out on a limb with that prediction. But we all know PN is still going to be here next year, and we also know most don’t want Whipple here next year.

So that’s the more interesting question. Who thinks Whipple will be here for next season. Not saying I’m a fan of his but I’m guessing he still will be here.

Find a coordinator that can mix the run and pass and send plays in from the sideline. GT aside, the running game was awful this year. Pitt is best when they can run the ball effectively.

I’d be okay with a read option spread, but no triple option. I don’t need to see a pro set. I want an attack that is effective, whatever it is

Oh yeah...and actually throws to TEs and uses them effectively to block.

Reactions: quip and pierre93
A top 25 finish, between 8-10 wins per year, and a decent (warm weather) bowl destination are realistic expectations. I think narduzzi needs a strong OC since he seems disinterested in that side of the ball, and Whipple isn’t the guy.

I think the ceiling in the ACC/Coastal is more toward 8-9, top 25.
NFL Whipple was another mistake plus plugging him in with mostly the same former staff probably a gaffe also.
They'll have to find money for an OC cause basically its another hc as this coach is totally hands off offense.
Will also need more money keep Beattie, Partridge.
Also have to hope ACC doesn't drop divisions.
Divisions are dumb in college football and hoops. Why would you want divisions? Would be ridiculous if your team had 10 wins but another in your division had 11. And you didn’t get to play in CCG because of a 7 win team in other division.

Who you going to get?? My thoughts, this year was such a screwed up year. While we certainly had a disappointing season, it was not disastrous. We also have a program that is pretty clean, mostly good kids no problems off the field.

I think this upcoming year will tell the tale. Narduzzi lost some grace period by not producing this year. I chose keep and change some staff. Obviously OCoordinator and OLine coach need replaced. Maybe even Salem.

It is a really good recruiting class coming in, so more talent coming. Our defense is so incredibly deep. It's time to work on the offense.

If we struggle again next year.....okay it might be time. Just we have gone too many times into a coaching search with no plan.

Reactions: pittjas
People keep pretending like 2020 was a weird year, but it wasn’t. That’s the problem. It was every year under Narduzzi.
Dumb penalties.
Dumb game decisions.
Close games against teams that we should be better than, resulting in coin flip results.
Horrible offensive system.
Too many units with woeful talent.

There’s a reason why South Carolina moved on from Muschamp. Because this wasn’t a weird year for South Carolina. And it wasn’t a weird year for us.

And now people want Narduzzi to hire his 3rd OC in 5 years? Spot the problem there.

One more year with Narduzzi? he has to replace the OC and O line coach now, and if Pitt returns to its mediocre ways next year after 42 years of it, then Narduzzi has to go, The university has to spend big bucks and go out and bring in a big time HC, and after all those years, I'm sick and tired of waiting till next year, and I'm ok if narduzzi goes this year

People keep pretending like 2020 was a weird year, but it wasn’t. That’s the problem. It was every year under Narduzzi.
Dumb penalties.
Dumb game decisions.
Close games against teams that we should be better than, resulting in coin flip results.
Horrible offensive system.
Too many units with woeful talent.

There’s a reason why South Carolina moved on from Muschamp. Because this wasn’t a weird year for South Carolina. And it wasn’t a weird year for us.

And now people want Narduzzi to hire his 3rd OC in 5 years? Spot the problem there.
Narduzzi perfect coach for northern program like Pitt. Defense first. Ball control offense. Make it a 4 quarter game ala NFL game. Think that always seemed to work best in Big East and now the ACC. Of course, Clemson an outlier but I mean versus rest of teams in conference.

I think NCAA/CFP/P5 (whoever) needs to simply have OSU, Clemson and Alabama play in own league. Play each other 5 times and then have a playoff...1 seed gets bye and 2 plays 3. Then, allow the rest of college football to have its own 8 team playoff. This would be more equitable than current system. And there isn’t a 4th team that is deserving to be in that group. Those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest. Their 3rd string linemen and backers are better than the 12th ranked team’s starters (as a group).

Either fire Narduzzi or keep the staff other than maybe Salem and Borbs. A new OC does nothing.

It’s a vicious cycle with Duzz as the Naquan Brown commitment added into this solid class has me once again seeing the benefits in keeping Duzz. I can’t however just overlook a 9-9 ACC record the past 2 seasons. In this extremely pedestrian league, that shouldn’t be accepted in years 5 and 6.

I think Whipple became an easy scapegoat this year. Yes he made some truly horrific play calls more than just occasionally, but the big issues still all are mostly on Narduzzi. The only reason I say to can Salem and Borbs is because their units have been too weak for too long now.

If they do move on from Whipple, I would be ok with it. But the new OC would have to be a home run type hire. I don’t care how many guys we end up losing, after going 14-10 (9-9) the past 2 seasons 2021 has to be Duzz’s breakout year. There are no excuses left after that. We’re probably already praying for a Hail Mary now, if he can’t put it all together with this program within 7 seasons.... zero chance it ever happens.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
We should keep the coaching staff intact and try to find cash to reward our recruiters like Beatty. I would also consider him as Co Offensive run game coordinator. Install a no huddle offense similar to the Steelers

Take out a million dollar insurance policy on Pickett and beg him to stay

Reactions: dave97

Why on earth would Moorhead leave the situation he has at Oregon to come to Pitt for the same position? That’s just never going to happen.

He is one year removed from an SEC head coaching job, and is trying to rekindle his career. Oregon is about the best place to do that if you’re an OC. The only way he’s coming to Pitt is as the head guy, hopefully that never happens.

Reactions: 21Guns. and pittjas
Pitt didn't play like it did because of covid, covid happened to every one and every school, Pitt was just being Pitt

- How would you view the 2020 season? Was 6-5 good enough to be considered a success? Do you blame the staff for the two one-point losses or chalk them up to “bad breaks?”

I would say it was slightly disappointing. The coaches deserve some of the blame.

- Is it fair to use this past season to judge the coaching staff and program, considering the player opt-outs and alterations to the schedule? Should it warrant any changes to the coaching staff?

It is fair to judge the coaching staff and program. The coaching staff needs changes on the offensive side of the ball (OC and OL).

- Has this season changed your opinion of Narduzzi at all? How do you feel with him at the helm of the program moving forward? In 2021, what record would be enough to retain him or fire him?

It is what I’ve seen from him so far, so it is no surprise. He needs to win 7 or more games next year.

- If you believe that an offensive coordinator change is necessary, why do you trust Narduzzi to hire an OC considering the past two hires? How much time would this “buy” the current staff?

Chaney and Canada were good hires. Chaney brought in Nate which was important.

- Does the current financial situation of the athletic department and university play a factor in how you feel the program should move forward?

Yes - that is just living in reality.

- When factoring in potential departures and returnees, in what direction do you project the program going in 2021? Does/should this factor into any potential coaching changes?

I will let you know when I see the full roster and coaching staff. If no changes are made and recruiting is finalized, then I’d say we go 7-5 and this conversation is happening again in 11 months.

Coach Narduzzi needs to tweak his coaching staff but he is now getting better talent. The stability in coaching is good for the program. The defense will be strong for the near future. Adjustments need to be made to the offense. Like posted above need to mix the run and pass better. Pitt has a pretty good coaching staff. Coach Salem is an energetic guy saw that at a high school coaching clinic. He recruits well. He brought in some talent last year. Coach Borbs was the coach a couple years ago when PItt ran the ball on everyone. The OC is the tough call to make. Everyone says PItt should hire a top head coach who would come here. I've seen this for many years. Duzz is being paid well and has to get better results. Have to give it more time before changing coaching staff again.

With this staff, too many penalties, too many negative run plays, too many drops, too many head-scratcher calls, too many games without a TE, too much faith in OLinemen who were not doing the job, too many running backs with no elusiveness, too many big plays given up, too much show-boating, too much disappointment...

I’m ready “too” move on...

Go Pitt.

Reactions: sherepower
There's obviously not going to be a change at the top and I've accepted the gap between Pitt and the elite is monumental. I want Pitt to become an 8-9 win team and too often the gameday coaching decisions limit this. I make some adjustments to the coaching staff because this team can get there. They can become a team that is consistently in the 3-5 range of the ACC.

What makes polls like this a little disingenuous is the reliance one single game makes when voting on a huge long term decision. Narduzzi has been here for 6 full years and almost 75% of the respondents say he deserves a 7th.

However had Pitt lost that one largely meaningless game to Georgia Tech less than 48 hours ago probably 75% of people would be saying dump him immediately.

One more year with Narduzzi? he has to replace the OC and O line coach now, and if Pitt returns to its mediocre ways next year after 42 years of it, then Narduzzi has to go, The university has to spend big bucks and go out and bring in a big time HC, and after all those years, I'm sick and tired of waiting till next year, and I'm ok if narduzzi goes this year

Hmmm.... Maybe if it's been 42 years, i0t might not be Narduzzi. Just a thought.

What big time coach do you have in mind? Can we have some names?

Until Pitt morphs into a school that can recruit Top 15 type classes consistently, they are going to be stuck in that 5 to 9 win range.

Status quo, same old same old since the 1980s. This is the best we can ever expect. This program, no matter who is the coach is a 6-8 win program with a chance, whenever the stars align once a decade or so, to have a 9-10 game winning year.

Changing coaches or coaching staff will never change it. Geography and demographics dictate we can never return to the 1970s to 1980s level of success. Believing otherwise is a pipe dream! I used to share that pipe dream; but have now finally faced the reality.
I agree with much of that in principle, but the simple fact is that this head coach has not done a good job with this program. We see evidence of that over and over and over to the point I wonder what some of his diehard supporters on this board think the job of head football coach is actually supposed to entail.

He was not hired to build a defense or to be a nice guy who “seems to like being at Pitt”. He was hired to build a program and win football games. There seems to be no plan or clear vision for this program. After 6 seasons the program has no consistency or discernible identity, which is a lot more important than some seem to realize.

I’ve seen enough. It’s not going to get any better. It’s worth a try to make a change.

Welp, Whipple did stay with what was working which unfortunately likely pleased Duzz. Goncalves 76 is a starter and ya’d think Warren would be moved to guard or right tackle next year with Kradle moving to C. 78 Taylor is large and has pedigree was In for a play or two from scrimmage. This blood transfusion is needed going forward along with making the TE position actually part of the O. Look for more emphasis on running with the big back coming in January. Need someone to orchestrate—OC and QB.

I agree with much of that in principle, but the simple fact is that this head coach has not done a good job with this program. We see evidence of that over and over and over to the point I wonder what some of his diehard supporters on this board think the job of head football coach is actually supposed to entail.

He was not hired to build a defense or to be a nice guy who “seems to like being at Pitt”. He was hired to build a program and win football games. There seems to be no plan or clear vision for this program. After 6 seasons the program has no consistency or discernible identity, which is a lot more important than some seem to realize.

I’ve seen enough. It’s not going to get any better. It’s worth a try to make a change.

I’m constantly amused by the people on this board that take comfort in things that don’t matter in of themselves. “We never quit.” “The defense is good.” “Narduzzi is liked by his players.” All of these things are suppose to be a means to an end. The end being winning. They are of no value if they do not produce the end goal.

You just made td's head explode.

The answer to the poll based on what is going to happen is the second choice. Obviously so. The answer to the poll based on what should happen is the third choice. And it's every bit as obvious.

Reactions: Ski11585
I'll answer your questions in order.

1. How do you view the 2020 season? Same old same old. Sadly, a typical Pitt season.

2. Was 6-5 good enough to be considered a success? The fact that this is a serious question (and I believe you are serious) tells us all we need to know about Pitt football. The day that 6-5 is defined as a "success" is the day Iwe should simply shoot the program and put us out of our misery.

3. Do you blame the staff for the two one-point losses or chalk them up to “bad breaks?” It's ALWAYS the staff (and btw I define staff in the broadest terms including the AD and Chancellor). The staff puts the resource in place (or not), recruits the players, and coaches them. Bad breaks is a concept for losers.

4. Is it fair to use this past season to judge the coaching staff and program, considering the player opt-outs and alterations to the schedule? Is it fair???? Of course it's fair. Every program had to deal with player opt outs and schedule changes. Good programs find a way to win, bad ones use these issues as excuses.

5. Should it warrant any changes to the coaching staff? It damned well better warrant some changes. IMHO, Narduzzi isn't going anywhere despite the fact that he's a very average (at best) coach. That said, he's also smart enough to know that his butt is on the hot seat and he simply can't go into 2021 without making some changes. Coaches who should be shown the door: Whipple, Salem, Borbely and possibly Powell.

6. Has this season changed your opinion of Narduzzi at all? Absolutely. Up to this season I was somewhat on the fence with Narduzzi. Not impressed with recruiting or game day coaching, but willing to give him a bit more runway. After this season it is crystal clear that Narduzzi will never be more that a 6,7,8 win coach. If you can live with that, then you're probably OK with Narduzzi. I don't expect Pitt to ever win another national championship but I do expect us to be somewhat relevant....8,9, maybe the occassional 10 win season. Top 25 rankings. That's really not a very high bar.

7. How do you feel with him at the helm of the program moving forward? Not good if your goal is to actually accomplish something and become somewhat relevant.

8. In 2021, what record would be enough to retain him or fire him? His record in 2021 really doesn't matter. I've seen enough of his body of work to know what to expect. I'd fire him now, but the reality is that he's here for at least another year or two. I also shudder to think about our AD finding a replacement.

9. If you believe that an offensive coordinator change is necessary, why do you trust Narduzzi to hire an OC considering the past two hires? First, I do believe an OC change is needed. Our offense wasn't bad...it was putrid. You simply can't stand pat with that kind of performance. That said, I don't trust Narduzzi to make a good hire, but that's what we're stuck with.

10. How much time would this “buy” the current staff? Short of a miraculous lucky OC hire, I don't think this will really buy much more (or less) time for this staff.

11. Does the current financial situation of the athletic department and university play a factor in how you feel the program should move forward? Every organization has to evaluate leadership changes in the context of financial realities. Pitt is not in great shape relative to the rest of the conference in terms of finances, which is precisely why they need to make a move. Fan support is weak. We all know that. Continuing onward with a mediocre coach is a prescription for continued crappy support. The administration needs to give the fans a team that is worthy of support. Blaming the fans for lack of support is like a bad restaurant serving up terrible food and then blaming the community for it's lack of diners.

12. When factoring in potential departures and returnees, in what direction do you project the program going in 2021? Simple answer; down. Defense should be OK, but just OK. Frankly, our defense was overrated IMO. We stuffed a bunch of crap teams and got absolutely torched by the few good teams we played. The offense was simply horrible and I saw nothing to make me believe it will be better in 2021.

13. Does/should this factor into any potential coaching changes? Not one bit. Need to look at the 6 year track record and the trajectory....it's not good.

With this staff, too many penalties, too many negative run plays, too many drops, too many head-scratcher calls, too many games without a TE, too much faith in OLinemen who were not doing the job, too many running backs with no elusiveness, too many big plays given up, too much show-boating, too much disappointment...

I’m ready “too” move on...

Go Pitt.
P
What makes polls like this a little disingenuous is the reliance one single game makes when voting on a huge long term decision. Narduzzi has been here for 6 full years and almost 75% of the respondents say he deserves a 7th.

However had Pitt lost that one largely meaningless game to Georgia Tech less than 48 hours ago probably 75% of people would be saying dump him immediately.
See, despite the win over a horrid GT team, that was an abysmal performance by Pitt with the exceptions of Davis, the left side of the OL, and about half of the D. In my mind it showcased everything that’s wrong with the Narduzzi regime. A largely inept offense, boneheaded situational decision making, a senior 3 year starter at QB who was wildly erratic and inconsistent and looks no better than he did as a sophomore,, a lack of explosive plays, receivers that can’t catch, an O line that struggles to pass protect, a black hole at TE, puzzling use of personnel especially the WRs, an inability to get the ball in the end zone from close in, etc etc.

Pitt wouldn’t have beaten more than.a fistful of the worst P5 teams the way they played in that game, and GT happened to be one of those.

Here’s the thing-I don’t dislike Narduzzi at all. I just don’t think he has the head coach stuff. Many excellent coordinators don’t.

There seems to be no plan or clear vision for this program. After 6 seasons the program has no consistency or discernible identity, which is a lot more important than some seem to realize.

This is incredibly important right here. What is the plan moving forward? He had a plan and knew what he wanted the Defense to be. Strong DLine who eat the run and cause havoc rushing the QB. They really are a strong defense. So it worked there.

What is the plan with the offense? What identy does he want into be? I thought it was power run game, but even in 2018 when Pitt had one of the best power run game in D1, they still abandoned it various times to only lose winnable games. These past 2 years they scrapped the run game altogether and threw it with no rhyme or reason.

Until they decide what their Offensive Indenty is, they are not going to be able to maximize their recruiting efforts. Too much chance to recruiting square pegs into round holes with no identity.

Hmmm.... Maybe if it's been 42 years, i0t might not be Narduzzi. Just a thought.

What big time coach do you have in mind? Can we have some names?

Until Pitt morphs into a school that can recruit Top 15 type classes consistently, they are going to be stuck in that 5 to 9 win range.
The thing is, and this is not just on Narduzzi, no Pitt coach has really done this save for Wanny in a watered down Big East, but just at some time, the stars have to align and team who recruits in that 25-40 range consistently puts together a 10 win regular season.

I have not seen anybody on this board make a compelling case based on merit for retaining Narduzzi. I understand the reality that he will almost certainly be retained due to non-merit, non-football reasons, but the reasons that have been put forth here beyond that are not valid. He likes Pitt, he’s a good guy, this recruiting class is too important to lose, his players like him and don’t quit, he’s only a few points every year from a decent season, etc are nonsense.

The one valid question that the Dooz supporters fall back to is who else are we going to get? That’s a legit question. To that I would say, if what Narduzzi has done with the program is truly the best Pitt can do-and I don’t believe it is-does it even matter? These results would not be difficult for any experienced coach to duplicate, nor for a legitimately good head coach to exceed. Why not at least try?

Fire Borberly and hire a Great Offensive Line coach. This is Pitt's biggest issue. You have to be able to run the ball against everyone.

I picked the second since that's the most likely thing to happen if changes are made. If they want to fire Duzz I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I just don't think that's going to happen. Unless someone writes them a huge check.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT